The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Update 1: Switched from Hondata Carb to Ktuner V2 with Phearable OTS tune
Update 2: 8 month Phearable non-SI 1.5 tune use, oil analysis changes are in italics and underlined.

Vehicle: 2017 Civic LX Hatchback

Total tuned time: 5 years

Tuned miles driven: 40,000

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB Flashpro (4 years ) ; currently using KTuner V2 ( 8 months)

Tunes used: Previous - Hondata +6 Carb with custom tweaking by MakSpeed. Current - Phearable Non-Si Stage 1.5 street tune w/27Won intake option

Fuel used: Costco 91 octane

Additional related mods: 27Won CAI hybrid, Prodrager cat back exhaust

Problems/issues: None ( mechanical or tune related )
* minor issues - ( for me ) There is a learning curve when it came to installing and running the KTuner. The Flashpro Carb software was intuitive for a novice, easy to install, and easy to use Bluetooth gauge display and having the cable to the flashpro module routed in a unobtrusive manner. The Ktuner software is a bit more complicated to figure out, and finding a place for the V2 module is a challenge to have a clean looking installation without exposed cable.

Driving style: current - Daily Driver with 80% going for part throttle economy (41.5 mpg average summer blend, 39.5mpg winter blend) remaining 20% off road & canyon carving

Misc Comments: Was pretty happy with the Flashpro Carb tune as a daily driver, biggest drawback was only 1 tune can be used at any given time. Was intrigued by the Phearable / KTuner's ability to "switch on the fly" change of tunes.
Update: Slight drop in overall mpg since the switch to using the KTuner over the Hondata, roughly 1 mpg penalty with everything else being equal, In return, a more useable powerband is available with the Ktuner / Phearable tune. Continue to be impressed with how well the KTuner / Phearable tune works with keeping LTFT within + 0 / -2 and STFT within + 5/ - 5 during drives.

Latest Blackstone oil analysis shows the tune doesn't seem to be causing any undo accelerated wear on the engine. Other than a slight issue with fuel disolution, all the other numbers looked good. For the record, I change the oil every 4,000 miles along with the filter, have been using Penzoil Platinum 0-20 exclusively. Would be nice if other folks also post up samples of their oil analysis if they have them to track engine wear as part of the tuned experience and data collection.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Blackstone
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
^ Fantastic update. :bow: An update like that really helps the community.

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 EX Hatchback (CVT)
Total tuned time: About 2 hour
Tuned miles driven: 50
Tuning device(s) used: KTuner
Tunes used: TSP Stage 1
Fuel used: premium 93 Premium
Additional related mods: PRL stage 1 intake
Problems/issues: Nothing
Tuning experience notes: First time tuning a car. I was a baby and waited almost a year to actually flash the tune (I bought the KTuner last Black Friday), mainly because I wasn't driving much since I was working from home until recently. Well, after driving on a highway I realize that was a mistake. While the car isn't some crazy sports car, it was definitely more fun to drive and Map 3 was definitely noticeable on the highway. On multiple occasions I'd just switch lanes and lightly accelerate (or so I thought) and next thing I knew I was pushing 90 without even trying. People talk about how much smoother Phearable is than TSP, which I'm wondering how thats possible because TSP felt really smooth acceleration.

I'm curious, how many people just leave TSP Stage 1 in Map 3 all the time vs Map 1/2. I feel a difference from stock to Map 1 but nothing huge. Map 2 was somewhat noticeable but Map 3 was where it isat. I guess my question, is there any downside from driving in Map 3 all the time (besides worse gas mileage and more a reliability standpoint)? With Atlanta traffic it probably makes sense to just keep it in Map 1 most of the time except when the roads are clear.
Update 05/18/22
Vehicle: 2017 EX Hatchback (CVT)
Total tuned time: Just over 5 Months
Tuned miles driven: 40,000 total miles, 1700 miles tuned
Tuning device(s) used: KTuner 1.2
Tunes used: TSP Stage 1
Fuel used: premium 93 Premium
Additional related mods: PRL stage 1 intake
Problems/issues: Nothing
Tuning experience notes: I haven't been driving much as I have a newborn at home and can still work from home. When I do drive, it is mostly short trips or have my family on board so I am mostly in Map 1. I have gotten over 42 MPG on the few long trips I have done while using Map 1 and Map 2. I am pretty satisfied with the tune so far. I do notice the occasional jerk at low speeds and when I let off the throttle. I am hoping to eventually try out Phearable 1.5R at some point (hopefully if @gtman picks me to win the $200) as everyone says it is better than TSP Stage 1.

oberstja

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been a year and a half since my last update on this thread

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback

Total tuned time: 2 years 11 months

Total tuned mileage: 58,000

Tunes used: Stage 2

Fuel used: 91

Additional engine mods: None at this time but I am considering a turbo swap.

Problems/issues: Absolutely 0 problems related to tuning after almost 3 years of daily use. Cars with over 100k miles will need maintenance yes but that's to be expected.

Driving style: Average, my work commute is 90% freeway driving. 80 miles a day round trip and the car is running great

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Photo May 03, 7 35 02 PM

sventhecivic

First Name
Gaetano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
Update (original post)

Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX-T Sedan (only owner)

Total Tuned Time: 8 months

Tuned Miles Driven: ~5,000 miles
tuned @ 83,000 miles
currently @ 88,000 miles

Tuning Device: KTuner 1.2 with TunerView via HondaHack

Tunes Used: KTuner Starter Dual 21; TSP Stage 1

Fuel Used: Exxon/Mobile 91+ (only)

Additional Related Mods: PRL Intake Hose + PRL Filter

Problems/Issues: None

Driving Style: Reserved, aside from highway entrances and passing on occasion. Feels like a monster when I hit the pedal though :confused1: unbelievable.

Tuned Experience Notes: You can read notes from my original post linked above, but I'll add some updates here. I don't often have the KTuner plugged in since I'm often in CarPlay to begin with, but every time I check it the Knock Control has been a steady .49-.50 (which I guess is great). No news is good news.

I recently had the transmission fluid and oil changed and had the engine bay cleaned this morning. I'm doing my best to upkeep the car now that it's edging 90,000 miles. The tuning experience is still one of the best mods I've ever done. It's subtle 90% of the time while commuting, but when I get in the left lane to pass someone I'm blown away at how well he pulls. When I do have the KTuner plugged in, the boost hits around 20psi (but I never go full throttle).

I beat a Mercedes off the line a couple of months ago too (hehe).

GrannyCivic

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic 1.5T CVT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Sport Touring Hatch CVT

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: appx 2000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Current configuration: TSP stage 1 non SI 1.5
  • Past tunes used: ktuner stage 0 for a Day, stage 1 for another day, then jumped straight to TSP

Fuel used: Costco 93.

Additional engine mods: Muffler Delete, Injen Short Ram Intake.
(Stuck between a PRL intercooler or a BMS Intercooler, looking for info on the BMS.) Which is better? I live in Miami and I’ve read about the stock intercooler on high temp being an issue.

Problems/issues: non at the moment

Driving style: Still looking at the MPG screen, but have acknowledged that I’m actually going faster, accelerating a bit faster.

Joelgold

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB Sport
Country flag
Been a year and a half since my last update on this thread

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback

Total tuned time: 2 years 11 months

Total tuned mileage: 58,000

Tunes used: Stage 2

Fuel used: 91

Additional engine mods: None at this time but I am considering a turbo swap.

Problems/issues: Absolutely 0 problems related to tuning after almost 3 years of daily use. Cars with over 100k miles will need maintenance yes but that's to be expected.

Driving style: Average, my work commute is 90% freeway driving. 80 miles a day round trip and the car is running great

Photo May 03, 7 35 02 PM.jpg
Clean car man, de-badging is a must with the HB. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Additional engine mods: Injen Short Ram Intake
How are your fuel trims? The Injen intakes have been a problem for many 10th gen owners.

GrannyCivic

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic 1.5T CVT
Country flag
How are your fuel trims? The Injen intakes have been a problem for many 10th gen owners.
Haven’t checked for that. I’ll definitely come back with that info. I’m as beginner as it gets in this.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Update 2: 8 month Phearable non-SI 1.5 tune use, oil analysis changes are in italics and underlined.

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB Flashpro (4 years ) ; currently using KTuner V2 ( 8 months)

Tunes used: Previous - Hondata +6 Carb with custom tweaking by MakSpeed. Current - Phearable Non-Si Stage 1.5 street tune w/27Won intake option

* minor issues - ( for me ) There is a learning curve when it came to installing and running the KTuner. The Flashpro Carb software was intuitive for a novice, easy to install, and easy to use Bluetooth gauge display and having the cable to the flashpro module routed in a unobtrusive manner. The Ktuner software is a bit more complicated to figure out, and finding a place for the V2 module is a challenge to have a clean looking installation without exposed cable.

Driving style: current - Daily Driver with 80% going for part throttle economy (41.5 mpg average summer blend, 39.5mpg winter blend) remaining 20% off road & canyon carving

Misc Comments: Was pretty happy with the Flashpro Carb tune as a daily driver, biggest drawback was only 1 tune can be used at any given time. Was intrigued by the Phearable / KTuner's ability to "switch on the fly" change of tunes.
Update: Slight drop in overall mpg since the switch to using the KTuner over the Hondata, roughly 1 mpg penalty with everything else being equal, In return, a more useable powerband is available with the Ktuner / Phearable tune. Continue to be impressed with how well the KTuner / Phearable tune works with keeping LTFT within + 0 / -2 and STFT within + 5/ - 5 during drives.

Latest Blackstone oil analysis shows the tune doesn't seem to be causing any undo accelerated wear on the engine. Other than a slight issue with fuel disolution, all the other numbers looked good. For the record, I change the oil every 4,000 miles along with the filter, have been using Penzoil Platinum 0-20 exclusively. Would be nice if other folks also post up samples of their oil analysis if they have them to track engine wear as part of the tuned experience and data collection.

Blackstone.jpg
try this mount for your V2
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1115710056/k-buddy-ktuner-v2-mount-for-10th-gen

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 2 years

Tuned miles driven: 38,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: I originally started with Ktuner V2 and moved onto Hondata due to needing to use an XDI Fuel pump

Tunes used: Ktuner Basemap, Hondata Basemap for pump and ethanol fuel. Custom tuned on both Ktuner and Hondata by Derek Robinson at IMW

Fuel used: Shell 92 and Chevron 92 mostly, but will sometimes use multiple other stations. Forged Fuels e85

Additional related mods: PRL HVI, RV6 Downpipe + Frontpipe, PRL Inlet pipe, PRL Race MAF, HKS Intercooler with PRL piping, HKS Legamax exhaust, XDI High pressure fuel pump, PRL Flex fuel kit with PTFE lines by Taylor King, Radium PCV Catch can, and Hondata Flashpro

Problems/issues: Only issue has been with my catch can due to mounting the hose has slipped off twice but it was an easy fix.

Driving style: I drive pretty easy, I enjoy the torque feel in stop and go but don't usually beat on the car daily. Most days I drive it normally as if it were a regular everyday 4 door car

Tune experience notes: Overall the Type R feels great stock, the driveability is nice and for some they may enjoy it more than a tuned car. The car is a beast custom tuned, although I am not sure on dyno figures the car definitely feels north of 400whp. It is easy to drive slow but has a more aggressive feel, you definitely feel the turbo kick in a lot more. It has still been reliable and the stock clutch still going strong.

StayAtHomeDad

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI, '97 TJ, '17 Alltrack, '03 Escalade
Country flag

Blackstone.jpg
I am curious how this oil analysis works? I see your sheet here and plan to research based on this, but maybe you can chime in for ease of learning?

Also, a note on the mpgs... I don't have my log in front of me (from before clutch swap and mods), but I am in the break-in period of my new clutch. the first ~100 miles were on the remaining gas that was in the tank, but car showed 42ish mpgs with conservatice/break-in style driving.

I put on about 240miles today, and according to the car (i haven't refuled to measure myself) I averaged 44.7mpgs. this was back highway driving, hitting as many stops signs and roundabouts and curves as i could in order to force myself to utilize the clutch pedal. I did hit a few 70mph zones, but mainly nothing over 55 posted. Passed through many a small town (30-35mph). More stop and go than i would normally experience, slower acceleration than i would normally do, and never exceeding 3k rpms. I understand this isn't normal driving for me, but it could be , and that mileage is impressive in my opinion. My gas gauge didn't even break the 1/2 way marker.

This was still running TSP1+ on MAP 1.

As a side note: I was shocked to see that, even driving at what seemed like an impossibly leisurely rate (grandpa driving), i still wasn't the slowest accelerating, or slowest moving car on the road.

drewmac9

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 3 Weeks

Tuned miles driven: 800

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner base maps

Additional related mods: PRL catless Downpipe, yonaka 3" catback

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Usually around the speed limit but enjoy to give er the beans now and then.

Tune experience notes: For a base map wakes up the car and makes the experience a lot better.

Didn't think there was a need for a picture of a grey coupe with no aesthetic mods...

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 2 yrs

Tuned miles driven: 20k miles on stock motor / 2k miles on fully built motor

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata OTS , then Redstar custom tunes

Fuel used: Shell 93 Vpower only or Sunoco 100 octane , VP Ms109

Additional related mods: Too many to list , but FBO on fully built motor (short block by 4pistons, race ported head by JSRengines w/ Ferrea competition package , running Mhi turbo

Problems/issues:
Stock Motor we pushed limit and exposed oem Valve Springs could not handle higher rpm, valve floated at 7800rpm … keep it to 7200rpm and should be fine…

Stock Motor handles great power as long as you keep rpms down and torque numbers low

Driving style: Summer
Car only, take it on long road trips so has to be very reliable.. also try to hit the track at least once a month and hit some autocross events as well.

Tune experience notes:
Overall the Type R feels like a completely different animal from stock… but with stock motor around low 400whp it felt super fun for a daily driver… It now is a great powerful fun mini rocket.. not the fastest but definitely an all around fun car to drive and surprise some folks with more power and tq.
Sponsored