The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

cheezer4998

First Name
Caesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T (MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I got some impressive mpgs on a recent commute to work. Usually, I'll only get 28-32 mpg due to the congested traffic in my area and me driving somewhat aggressively.

Traffic was light this time and I mostly took it easy but did do a couple of short bursts. Pretty impressive mileage considering how potent the 1.5R tune is. Tuning can definitely be the best of both worlds.

IMG_20220505_054715953-01.jpeg
Have you done your own tests to check if the car still tells you accurate mpg after tuning? I’ve been wondering but keep forgetting to mark down mileage when I fill up.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There's no change in the trip computer accuracy/inaccuracy after tuning.

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring

Total tuned time: 2 years

Tuned miles driven: 25k+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner, TSP, Phearable 1.5R

Fuel used: Sams 91 (most of the time), Costco 93

Additional related mods: PRL CAI

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Floor it daily. This car with the Phearable 1.5R is too fun not to

Tune experience notes: The Phearable 1.5R is a must for this platform. Everything else pales in comparison. With the PRL CAI and an exhaust, oof.

Jimmou

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic SI sedan

Total tuned time: 14 months (Since April 2020)

Total tuned mileage: 13,600 miles (Up from 7800 total tuned miles since last thread update; Currently 29,800 miles on the car)

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 - Map 3 (since 16,200 miles)
TSP Stage 1 Plus - Map 3 (since 27,000 miles)

Fuel used: Shell 91 + 1 gallon of E85 (started using E85 since TSP Stage 1 Plus)

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI w/ Race MAF

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Consider my driving normal most of the time with aggressive bursts from time to time. Wouldn't say that I baby the car but I definitely don't abuse or beat on it either.

Tuning experience notes: First car I've ever tuned
Vehicle: 2019 Civic SI sedan

Total tuned time: 24 months (Since April 2020)

Total tuned mileage: 20,475 miles (Up from 13,600 total tuned miles since last thread update; Currently 36,675 miles on the car)

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 - Map 3 (since 16,200 miles)
TSP Stage 1 Plus - Map 3 (since 27,000 miles)

Fuel used: Shell 91 + 1 gallon of E85 (started using E85 since TSP Stage 1 Plus)

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI w/ Race MAF

Problems/issues: Have experienced some slippage of the stock clutch going WOT in 3rd and 4th gear @ 3k-4k RPM. Doesn't happen every time but it has happened enough.

Driving style: Consider my driving normal most of the time with aggressive bursts from time to time. Wouldn't say that I baby the car but I definitely don't abuse or beat on it either.

Tuning experience notes: First car I've ever tuned

Lemme get that $200 gift card 😁 I want to try out that Phearable 1.5R!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Happy to see more updates due to the $200 contest, but we're still not getting many new cars added. I think we only have 3 since the contest started a week and a half ago.

$200 at Phearable will get you OTS tunes or use it towards parts or even a John Vega custom tune.

I guess the good news is everyone has better odds of winning. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: since 3/17/2020

Total tuned mileage: 10k 15k 21k

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 Map (factory boost) TSP Stage1+ map 2 these last 3k miles.

Fuel used: Exxon/Shell 93 only

Additional engine mods: PRL street CAI, MAP exhaust, MAP FP, Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20 oil

Problems/issues: Last oil change(yesterday 10/11/21) found a leak at half shaft bearing. Bringing it in to dealer on Oct 26 2021. I will flash back to stock the day before. If anyone has any recommendations, Please let me know to get the warranty Replacement. Pics below

Driving style:
baby going to work, aggro at night

Tuning experience notes: TSP stage 1+ is smoother I’ve kept at map 2 (way more fun) and no problems so far, except for the half shaft bearing leak.
Vehicle: 2020 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: since 3/17/2020

Total tuned mileage: 10k 15k 21k 24k 31k

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage1+ map 2 ONLY since last post

Fuel used: Exxon/Shell 93 only

Additional engine mods: PRL street CAI, MAP exhaust, MAP FP, Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20 oil

Problems/issues: none, previous issue was fixed under warranty.

Driving style: baby going to work, aggro at night

Tuning experience notes: IDK why but, I always have this sense of urgency shifting 1-2, and if I do it too fast I hear a clunk before pull, and if im too slow i feel the jerk. Idk what it is. Maybe lately im just shifting too fast but does anyone know how to smooth 1-2 out on tsp1+? It's been on improved throttle response II and soft padding since tuned tsp1+(which i believe are the default quick adjustment options).

@gtman pls I want to win. Maybe going @phearable will fix my issue

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe drop down to improved throttle response I and see if that smooths it out?

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 16

Total Tuned Miles: 18,300 (48,300 on odometer)

EDIT: Somewhere along the way I forgot to include Tuned Time:
Total Tuned Time: 10 months 3 weeks.

Tunes Used: Phearable 1.5R w/ Race MAF scaling.

Fuel Used: 93 octane

Related Mods: PRL Race MAF SRI (upgrading to the Cobra down the road), Muffler and Resonator Deletes. K&N Air Filter; Mishimoto Induction Hose.

Problems/Issues: Heat soak with my Short Ram Intake (not true Cold Air Intake).

Experience notes: Car sounds absolutely amazing after installing my SRI and re-tuning for the larger MAF. It SOUNDS like a turbocharged vehicle now! I already know about the heat-soak, and my goal is upgraded Intercooler down the road to help contend with it. Potentially upgrading to the Cobra intake as well, not sure yet though. Either way, the car now sounds amazing and I love it. Huge shoutouts to PRL, TSP, and Phearable for the products they make, service they provide. They never cease to put smiles on my face.

Once I do my intercooler and downpipe, my next goal will be turbo. I watched a video on the Spoon FK7 build, and interestingly enough they did not replace the intercooler, but they replaced the radiator. Thought that was strange. I like how the Spoon turbo puts its power down, though $3,000 for one is a bit rough.

OH YEAH! I will be 1 year with the Civic as of this Sunday! Oh what memories I've made, and the fun I've had with this car. Almost 25,000 miles in one year.
Update 17

Total Tuned Miles: 19,400 (49,400 miles on odometer)

Total Tuned Time: 11 months

Tunes Used: Phearable 1.5R w/ Race MAF scaling.

Fuel Used: 93 Octane, Marathon or Shell.

Related Mods: PRL Race MAF SRI, Muffler and Resonator Deletes.

Problems/issues: None.

Experience notes: Now that it's getting up in the 80s and 90s Fahrenheit here in Mississippi, I can physically feel the heat soak take hold of the Civic. After a long (mostly casual) drive, car feels somewhat sluggish. Definitely planning on either the Cobra conversion kit, or an intercooler at some point this year, probably after wheels and tires. Also planning on a more open grille and maybe even a vented hood down the road. Aside from that, Civic still drives fine. I'm getting 40+mpg per drive usually, with my best being a 48mpg on a 25 mile trip. My worst was 39mpg on a 50 mile drive in which I was rather spirited (didn't crack triple digits though).

Can't believe it's been over a year since I bought the Civic, oh how time flies. Closing in on a year of being tuned as well, and let me just say, for those of you who are on the fence about tuning, DO IT. I'm nearing a whole year of being tuned, almost 20,000 miles, and I have had no issues whatsoever. If you take care of the car, respect it, and know the limits of the CVT, you will almost never have issues. The increase in performance makes this car so much more enjoyable, and SAFER as well. You do not need to go FBO to enjoy this car, and you don't have to spend a lot of money. Go buy a Ktuner v1.2 from Phearable or TSP, get their free tune with it, flash and forget. $449 for a safer, faster car that can still beat its EPA ratings on MPG while not having a significant impact on reliability (within reason / performing essential up-keep)? Sounds like a bargain to me.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20220511_153059

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a reminder. Everyone adding their car until June 30th is entered with $200 - spendable on anything from Phearable!!

Entries have been very sparse so your chances of winning are pretty good. ;)

Last edited:

apakaleky

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 2.0
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic LX sedan

Total tuned time: 36 months

Tuned miles driven: 50 K+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1

Tunes used: Stage 1 k20c2 Ktune, Personal Race Gas Tune

Fuel used: 93 Ultra, 110 Race Gas

Additional related mods: Wilwood 4 Piston Brakes, Aem intake, Custom Magnaflow/megan Exhaust w/ rv6 catless downpipe, motegi mr141 w bf Goodrich sport comp 2, Bc racing BR coil overs, Megan Racing Strut Bar, Whiteline Front and rear sway bar with end links, Acuity Short shifter, Buddy Club Race wheel, and OMP TRS-e Racing Seats

Problems/issues: 2nd and 4th gear crunch (replaced trans removed Clutch delay valve, Acuity Shifter w master cylinder adjustment.

Driving style: 130+ MPH when it calls for it, but typically smooth, calm and collected while obeying most traffic laws and maintaining care for other peoples safety.

Tune experience notes: Factory Tune works well adjusted time and AFRs to compensate for Race gas and brief nitrous test.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) car D side

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Compare W Wra

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice entry into the thread. :thumbsup: Thanks.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Happy to see more updates due to the $200 contest, but we're still not getting many new cars added. I think we only have 3 since the contest started a week and a half ago.

$200 at Phearable will get you OTS tunes or use it towards parts or even a John Vega custom tune.

I guess the good news is everyone has better odds of winning. :thumbsup:
not sure ill make it into the tuned thread in time for the deal, would've been a nice discount on a W2 with phearable 1.5r. someone is going to get a nice prize. decided new Full front PPF and 5% tint was a smarter choice. still should be adding my car in the coming weeks/month

UnknownNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just saw the $200 drawing, I'll definitely be posting an update. Need me that 1.5R :)
Also going to share this around wherever I can. Sure, I'm lowering my chances, but the data that this reliability thread has shown and the confidence it gives to people to modify their vehicles is really invaluable.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback ST CVT
Country flag
UPDATE #1

Vehicle:
2021 Civic HB ST CVT

Total tuned time: 1 month 6 days

Tuned miles driven: 1800 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 non-si

Fuel used: "Quality" 91 (wish 93 was available near me)

Additional related mods: Greddy Supreme SP Exhaust

Problems/issues: None at all.

Driving style: Trying to drive more modest to help with mpg, but I like to open it up on the highway.

Tune experience notes: The tune has been amazing, and a must have for my daily driver. Took a trip from UT to AZ to visit some family and had no issues on the 1200+ mile trip. With the extra power and better response it makes highway driving so much more enjoyable, easy and in a sense safer. AZ drivers are nuts and sometimes you need that extra power to merge or get away from some crappy drivers. Maintained 37mpg the whole way which was awesome, and I think higher than before the tune. I look forward to giving an update at 2500 or 3000 miles depending on how long it takes me to hit that. Hopefully I'll have more mods to add to the post next time.
Update #2

Vehicle:
2021 Civic HB ST CVT

Total tuned time: ~6 months

Tuned miles driven: 6850 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 non-si

Fuel used: "Quality" 91 (wish 93 was available near me)

Additional related mods: Greddy Supreme SP Exhaust

Problems/issues: Still no issues, this car has been absolutely fantastic.

Driving style:
Trying to drive more modest to help with mpg, but I like to open it up on the highway.

Tune experience notes: Since my last update I've taken 2 or 3 road trips and this car is still a blast to drive. MPG is still doing well, I think I've been averaging around 34-36mpg depending on the day. Tuning is the best mod you can do, hands down. Hopefully will eventually add some addition mods soon.

red_si828

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
18 civic si

62k miles
Ktuner v1.2 since 4900 miles
tsp 1 / tsp 1 plus.
no issues at all.