The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 1 day

Tuned miles driven:
10 kms (just flashed)

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata flashpro (also have a ktuner v1.2 but planning on selling)

Tunes used: Hondata 91 octane tune

Fuel used: Chevron 94 octane (no ethanol)

Additional related mods: K&N drop in air filter

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: it’s my daily driver so nice and easy around town and aggressive when on backroads and canyon carving.

Tune experience notes: This is my 4th venture into tuning and 3rd on the civicx platform. My first go at tuning was with my lsvtec swapped ek hatch and went with a Phearable chip in a p28 ecu all the way back in 2013. Awesome tune and tons of fun. My 2017 fk7 sport hatch was my next go at it and with it I had a Hondata flashpro running the +9 basemap. Loads of torque but felt liked it lacked the up top power I was used to in previous Hondas. After that I got a 2020 fc1 Si and went with a ktuner v1.2 this time and right away bought the Phearable 1.5 tune. That tune blew me away, gobs of today and that missing top end from my fk7 was gone. Loved the car but still wanted more power and was concerned about building the l15b7 as I’d rather reliable horsepower and like to keep it to basic mods. Here we get to my 2020 fk8, just received my flashpro and went right away into jailbreaking the ecu and flashing my first tune on it. Wowza the spool is insane and low end torque I missed from the fc1 is back. I’ll make sure to update when I get some more miles on it. Thanks everyone.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) BF553471-133B-45EB-8154-0DF3298886E7

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1A90E97A-AA83-4377-B62F-1E7A28A69648

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 3C438178-DE6D-4061-BC3D-47054709F4D3

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) D28774F3-DB3F-49BF-A103-D1943F60DA70

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 9DC94512-E6B9-4414-9620-EEFF7F1DEAA3

Precord96FK7

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Update to post # 4097:

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Hatchback EX (CVT)

Total tuned time: 18 months

Tuned miles driven: 6,300 (since day 1 of purchasing vehicle)

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro Carb for 3-4 months, and KTuner V2 since.

Tunes used: Hondata +6 Carb, TSP Stage 1; Phearable 1.5; Phearable 1.5R; and currently Phearable E-tuned.

Fuel used: 91 octane and ethanol mixed to E25. Been substituting 1-2 gallons of 91 with pump 100 Octane at each fill up lately.

Additional related mods: 27Won W1, BMS Intercooler, PRL Cobra CAI - Race MAF, RZ Crew Intake Manifold, Ported OE throttle body, PRL TIP, PRL Flex Fuel Kit, Hardrace RMM, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can (forgot to list previously), 27Won catted downpipe & Frontpipe, Exhaust Cutout Pre-mufflers, TSP ARP Head Studs, and ETL CVT cooler w/ Hayden 697 Cooler.

Problems/issues: None noted, except the fact that I don't drive the car enough since purchasing.

Driving style: Conservative mostly, but like to hear the turbo hit full boost occasionally, along with getting my money's worth of the suspension and tires.

Tuning experience notes: Car is a blast to drive, it accelerates, handles, and stops well. Based on the failures documented from this thread, I've been paranoid and preparing for the worst and just upgraded to TSP ARP Head Studs, along with an ETL CVT cooler kit with a Hayden 697 bar & plate cooler with built in thermal bypass, and AMSOIL Synthetic CVT fluid. My next concern is my Hatchback rods and might just swap in a Si shortblock when the time comes.

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
Country flag
Bolt ons from 27won:
Strut bar and brake brace
Hi! Can you describe what does the Strut bars and Brake Braces from 27Won improve from your driving experiences? I am about to get those with the 27Won RMM and i went to their page read and watch all the material there but i want to hear your review from a civicx member

Thanks in advance

andy_wen1

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
UPDATE

Vehicle: 2020 Civic EX Hatchback

Total tuned time: 8 months

Tuned miles driven: 3595

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Costco 91

Additional related mods: PRL silicone hose / aFe Pro Dry S filter combo, Greddy type 28 intercooler + pipes

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Normal
Vehicle: 2020 Civic EX Hatchback

Total tuned time: 17 months

Tuned miles driven: 15K

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Costco 91

Additional related mods: PRL CAI, Greddy type 28 intercooler + pipes

Problems/issues: LTFTs are higher after switching to PRL CAI around -8 to -10

Driving style: Normal with occasional pull

Thusee

First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi! Can you describe what does the Strut bars and Brake Braces from 27Won improve from your driving experiences? I am about to get those with the 27Won RMM and i went to their page read and watch all the material there but i want to hear your review from a civicx member

Thanks in advance
Strut bar will decrease side to side body flex when turning. The brake brace prevents the firewall from flexing when you apply the brakes so it's a more solid feel. Definitely worth the upgrade. You'll notice the firmness when you're driving it hard and hitting the brakes hard.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
One piece fsb's limit movement in the strut towers. It helps when turning hard and is especially noticeable on quick lane changes. By keep the suspension geometry intact, it not only makes the front end feel more stable and solid, it also helps a bit with overall steering precision.

Last edited:

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Update from July 2021:
Vehicle- 2019 Civic Type R

Total tuned time- 2 years

Total tuned mileage-8,000

Tuning device used- Hondata FlashPro

Tunes used- Phearable Stage 2

Fuel used-

Additional engine mods- PRL HVI, PRL intercooler, RV6 Catted Downpipe

Problems/ issues - None

Driving Style-
Spirited

Tuning experience notes- Very responsive and quick compared to hondata base maps. Had to get stickier tires for increased power.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Si sedan

Total tuned time: 36 months

Total tuned mileage: 32,000+ miles

Tunes used: KTuner 19/23, d1zguy custom tune, TSP Stage 1 map 3 (very rarely in sport mode), custom street tune by local tuner

currently--- street tune by Drob --- 15psi valet mode map/26psi full send

Fuel used: BP or Sunoco 93

Additional engine mods: BMS intake, PRL intercooler and piping, PRL catted downpipe, MHI TD03 turbo swap, PRL cobra race MAF, 27won TIP, Exedy stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel

Problems/issues:

After about a year of being turbo swapped, burned up the clutch while getting a new tune for the race MAF and TIP. New clutch and new tune later things are going well.

I want to spend money on a W2, flex fuel, and a frontpipe, but probably shouldn't :oops:
Otherwise, none...

Driving style: Like a grandma in town. Pulls on on ramps and on certain bridges

hood up tip out.jpg
Vehicle: 2018 si

Total tuned time: 42 months

Tuned mileage: 42k+ miles

Tuning device: k tuner v1.2

Tunes used: KTuner 19/23, d1zguy custom tune, TSP Stage 1 map 3 (very rarely in sport mode), custom street tune by local tuner

currently--- street tune by Drob --- 15psi valet mode map/26psi full send

Fuel used: BP or Sunoco 93

Additional engine mods: BMS intake, PRL intercooler and piping, PRL catted downpipe, MHI TD03 turbo swap, PRL cobra race MAF, 27won TIP, Exedy stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel

Problems/issues:

Replaced clutch when race MAF and TIP tuning finally made the stock unit slip. 20k+ miles on tsp map 3 and initial turbo swap tuning is still pretty stout (lucky)

Now over two years running the TD03 problem free. It's a great little turbo and should have come stock.

I hope they have had better batches since the originals that had the issues. I lucked out and got a good one.

Debating on whether I want to add flex fuel... Will need upgraded head studs for sure if I do

Driving style: Like Grandma with the family. WOT on ramps. Angry morning commuter (5 am in Charleston is NASCAR unlike the crawl of 7am on)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got some impressive mpgs on a recent commute to work. Usually, I'll only get 28-32 mpg due to the congested traffic in my area and me driving somewhat aggressively.

Traffic was light this time and I mostly took it easy but did do a couple of short bursts. Pretty impressive mileage considering how potent the 1.5R tune is. Tuning can definitely be the best of both worlds.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20220505_054715953-01

ofrie32

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport (6MT)

Total tuned time: 26 months

Tuned KM driven: ~15,000 (~9500 miles)

Current mileage: ~38,000 KM (Bought new)

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21 w/aggressive quick adjustments (20 months), Phearable 1.5 (6 months)

Fuel used: Shell V-Power 91 (I added 0.25 cup of Boostane in my tank to increase Octane since I started using Phearable 1.5 but recently stopped this after seeing a comment from DRob and John Vega saying that it isn't good for some internal components)

Additional related mods: PRL Race MAF SRI, and will be adding PRL FP/DP combo with Greddy DDR exhaust in the coming weeks

Problems/issues: Easily reach 0.7-0.8 in WOT (shifting before 5000RPM). Knock Control also increases slowly when at constant higher throttle (more than 50% for a few seconds. I use map3 of the Phearable tune often enough but I am mostly on map1)

Driving style: Mostly city driving with 5-10min trips. Occasional aggressive WOTs on highway ramp/merging. Occasional weekend joyrides (1-2h moderately aggressive drive) Get 8.5-9.5L/100km (24-27mpg)

Tuning experience notes: I used KTuner Dual for over a year and it was very easy to use. I switched to Phearable 1.5 in December 2020 and absolutely love it. I will also be using GOD mode (occasionally) when I have my exhaust setup installed. This is my first car and my tuning experience has been very pleasant. My only worry is that I find my knock control increases often, but I mostly always manage to get it back at mid 50s to 0.49.
Update : 17 months of Phearable 1.5 update

Vehicle
: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport (6MT)

Total tuned time: 37 months

Tuned KM driven: ~21,000 (~13000 miles)

Current mileage: ~44,000 KM (Bought new)

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21 w/aggressive quick adjustments (20 months), Phearable 1.5 (17 months)

Fuel used: Shell V-Power 91 (I've been experiencing increased knock control values at light throttle without any knock count. Maybe lower quality fuel? I found a dealer of VP Racing fuel and am considering buying some X85 and adding a gallon to see if the problem persist)

Additional related mods: PRL Race MAF SRI, PRL FP/DP combo with Greddy DDR exhaust, will be adding a PRL FMIC next weekend.

Problems/issues: Easily reach 0.7-0.8 at 50% to WOT (shifting before 5000RPM). I notice the greater increase when at around 50% throttle after having the engine under load (light to moderate pull). I use map3 of the Phearable tune often enough but I am mostly on map1

Driving style: Mostly city driving with 15-20min trips. Occasional aggressive WOTs on highway ramp/merging. Occasional weekend joyrides (1-2h moderately aggressive drive) Get 7.5-9L/100km (26-31mpg)

Tuning experience notes: I used KTuner Dual for over a year and it was very easy to use. I switched to Phearable 1.5 in December 2020 and absolutely love it. I will also be using GOD mode (occasionally) when I have my exhaust setup installed. This is my first car and my tuning experience has been very pleasant. My only worry is that I find my knock control increases often, but I mostly always manage to get it back at mid 50s to 0.49.

Update 1: I have been using Phearable 1.5 for almost a year and a half now and the tune feels just amazing. With the knock control increasing at moderate throttle (going on the highway and light pulls), I will try adding a gallon of VP Racing X85. If this works, then I know the gas I use is not of good enough quality for the tune and I will get a custom tune for 91 Octane when the car is FBO. I rather get a custom tune for the Octane rating available in my region than keeping the Phearable 1.5 and adding 1 Gallon of X85 at +20$/Gallon (15$/Gallon if I buy a 54 Gallon drum). Also, according to my datalogs, Cyl 4 misfires significantly (16 misfires in a 20min drive but no CEL codes). I checked my spark plugs last week and they were pretty dirty (Probably due to running rich) so I plan to change them soon enough. Any pointers or recommendations will be accepted and really appreciated. TIA

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The high knock control is most likely low quality gas / the fact you're on Canadian 91. The 1.5R is best on quality 93+. Getting a custom tune for 91 isn't a bad idea if you don't want to top off with E85.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got some impressive mpgs on a recent commute to work. Usually, I'll only get 28-32 mpg due to the congested traffic in my area and me driving somewhat aggressively.

Traffic was light this time and I mostly took it easy but did do a couple of short bursts. Pretty impressive mileage considering how potent the 1.5R tune is. Tuning can definitely be the best of both worlds.

IMG_20220505_054715953-01.jpeg
I was happy to average 29 on the last tank! Already back down to 27.7 on this one but I keep running into K5's that want to see how slow they are this week...

TeddyTurbo

First Name
Ted Valdez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-L sedan CVT

Total tuned time: 2 days

Tuned miles driven: 30

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Starter 21psi & Starter 18psi, currently using Starter 18psi

Fuel used: half tank 87 / half tank 93

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI

Problems/issues: My vehicle has ecu 5AA-A56 and the v2 has tune files for 5AA-A55 & 5AA-A57 so at first I tried the tunes for the A57 ecu and that gave me almost every error light on the dash, so I reverted it back to stock, wiped the loaded tunes off the v2 and started over loading the tune files for the A55 ecu, BINGO!! now I am good to go!

Driving style: Like I stole it

Tune experience notes: I feel like the 18psi tune is smoother then the 21psi tune, it could be because I am just using one of the canned tunes, I have not tried to mess with any setting myself but I do hear great things about the other e-tunes on the market such as Phearable and TSP.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LOL just noticed this was from 3 years ago!!
Not sure what you're talking about. I started the thread in 2019 but I can assure you it's still ongoing and active.
Sponsored