The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Smellycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Update since July 14 2021
Vehicle: 2017 Civic LX Hatchback (L15BA)
Tuned @ 28-30k, purchased @ 24k miles

Tuned miles driven:
7/14/21 - 10k
3/8/22 - 16k

Total miles driven:
7/14/21 -28-30k
3/8/22 - 45,500
Updates: i like the tsp stage 1 over ktuner max map with AKR checked. They’re both smooth if your footing is in check. I side with tsp for the rest of the cars life for longevity. Map 2. I feel like map 3 will break the engine

Tuning device(s) KTuner

Tunes used:
Ktuner stage 0, 1, 2 19/23 custom
TSP stage 1

Fuel used: shell 91, occasional 1-1.5gal e85

Additional related mods:
PRL Cobra Race Maf - installed @ 34k

Problems/issues: none. Flawless.

Driving style: smooth, to high spirited.
i like to build my rpms and boost gradually, it seems with the cobra I’m a lot more easier on it as I don’t want to feel like I’m trying too hard.

Tuning experience notes: i do not like the peppy ktuner base maps, the tsp feels smooth and works good for MY foot.
You need to play with the tunes to find your sweet spot, and see what your ego will meet your foots requirements, and please pay attention to your knock, and temps
especially during hot summers, i live in California, extreme heat, be aware.
Sponsored

Bootleg Bill

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT

Total tuned time: 2 weeks

Tuned miles driven: 300 miles

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Stock base maps lately been using all 3 randomly

Fuel used: 91 Costco, first used to use any 91 from and gas station but I have stuck to Costco gas the most lately because of the crazy gas prices lol.

Additional related mods: None so far aside from my Sirimoto strut bar and
Mishimoto oil Catch Can

Problems/issues:
None

Driving style: Very aggressively tamed but tend to lean on the calmer sides at times

Tune experience notes: So Far its been amazing from the get go getting this car i already knew what I wanted to do with the car. throttle is amazing especially on street situations and of course highway speeds only thing that is annoying is my heavy foot and going through gas like crazy lol but everything comes with a price. still scared about knock control but aside from that everything is A-ok

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Inked20220309_062803_LI

Last edited:

FaceNachos

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI (FC1)

Total tuned time: 3 months

Tuned miles driven: ~5,000 tuned (~17,000 total)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 93 only

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI w/ street maf

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Fairly tame when commuting with spirited spurts.

Tuning experience notes: The only thing that can be considered an issue is the 2020 K-Tuner throttle response delay. It makes me feel like I don't know how to drive. I rev match a perfect downshift into 2nd gear and then my car bucks from the delay. So you put on rev hang but that's just as annoying. Still WAY better than stock. Really feels great and adds to driving experience.

Update:
Vehicle: 2020 Si (FC1)

Total tuned time: 15 months

Tuned miles driven: 26k tuned - 38k total

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner v2

Fuel used: Shell 93 only

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI

Driving style: Mostly commuting but I can get on it.

Tune experience notes: I stay in Map 2 exclusively, Map 1 when snowing. With the 2020 K-tuner issue i ended up leaving rev hang on almost always for a smoother ride. No issues so far, clutch is doing fine. Car feels great.

vnp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Ex
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civix EX Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 2 months

Tuned miles driven: ~1,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Chevron/Shell 91

Additional related mods: Custom catback straight pipe 2.5” exhaust

Problems/issues: Nothing engine/car related but when I flashed the car, the battery died which seemed to be a common issue. After driving with the tune for a bit, my exhaust sound became nonexistent, not sure if it was due to the tune since the shop said there was no damages to the exhaust so I opted for a muffler and resonator delete. Noticed the trans temp would go up kinda high when pushing the car so I will be getting a trans oil change hoping that will help.

Driving style: Daily commuter, conservative on the freeway and some pulls here and there.

Tune experience notes: The tune really opened up the car to a new feel and respond. Driving experience has been more fun and enjoyable.

Alex O

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Hatchback EX

Total tuned time: around a week

Total tuned mileage: 150ish miles

Mileage: 52k

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Fuel used: 93

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: None as of now

Driving style: Usually calm, on the commute home from school you know we have to turn it up a little. WOT a couple times when im feeling frisky. Nothing too special.

Tune experience: As of now nothing I can complain about, wanted a little extra power without dumping a crazy amount of money into my car and the tune for sure did that. Map 1 is nice for your daily, map 2 gets you home quicker if you know what I mean. Havent done much in map 3 yet. Also havent had much time to do anything crazy so I will be updating as I progress.

This and a few other threads helped tremendously in researching this topic, I appreciate everyone who put any sort of input on here and elsewhere. Will try to give back some even though it aint much.
Total tuned time: Have had it tuned since October I think it was???

Total Tuned Mileage: Around 8k

Mileage: 60k

Tunes Used: Still Phearable

Additional engine mods: Still no other engine mods, probably wont get any in the near future.

Problems/Issues: I've had zero issues since it's been flashed, hoping it stays that way, which it should.

Driving/Style: Same as before, relatively laid back now since I want the most out of the gas tank lol.

Tuning experience: Its been very fun, definitely revamps the whole car once tuned. Its for sure been everything I wanted. No issues like I said before which is always nice. I flashed during the winter months here in Ohio so I havent had many days where its been dry and sunny out. Gas mileage, has gone down some, but thats understandable, also could be due to warming up my car in the winter for a little. 93 is a bit pricey as of now, was thinking about going back to the factory tune for a little until gas prices mellow out a bit. But its a hard decision because the tune is so much more fun than being stock. Would 10/10 recommend.

EDIT - I was planning on doing a follow up for so long but Ive been busy with school and stuff, finally remembered today :)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. As far as flashing to stock because of high gas prices, think of it this way. Say that 87 octane is $4 and premium is $4.60 ...

That's about $7 more per tankful. And sure that sucks. But isn't the enjoyment factor of the tune worth that difference? You know and I know the stock tune sucks.

Last edited:

Yosteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 civic si

Total tuned time: 2 years

Tuned miles driven:29000 currently (31000)

Tuning device(s) used:k tuner v2

Tunes used: started k tuner base map/ Tsp stage 1, TSP stage1 plus (running currently)

Fuel used:BP 93 oct

Additional related mods:. universal mishimoto intercooler with custom 3" inch piping, RV6 catted down pipe front pipe combo, Ark performance 3"exhaust,MAP intake ACT street Clutch with lightweight flywheel.

Problems/issues:no issues to report

Driving style: normal daily driving mostly on map 2. I live in Minnesota very harsh winters wash the SI by hand never been at a auto car wash do sometimes like to get on it.

Tune experience notes:love TSP tunes can't go wrong with them. I am going to install RV6 r365 turbo at the end of this month I am going to run the new from tsp OTS tune with the turbo will update when I have both install

Alex O

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Thanks for the update. As far as flashing to stock because of high gas prices, think of it this way. Say that 87 octane is $4 and premium is $4.60 ...

That's about $7 more per tankful. And sure that sucks. But isn't the enjoyment factor of the tune worth that difference? You know and I know the stock tune sucks.
Yeah thats exactly how I thought of it, there's 0 enjoyment with the stock tune.

KyangJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 civic si (Fc3)

Tuned miles driven: ~24000 (Currently sitting at 28k miles on ODO)

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, Pherable 1.5, TSP Stage 1+, Pherable 1.5 race tune with God mode, Pherable 2.5 Flex fuel.

Fuel used: Shell 93 + Sheetz e-85

Additional related mods: MAPerformance 4-tip race exhaust, PRL intercooler, PRL CAI, PRL Charge Pipes, PRL Inlet Pipe, RV6 Catless DP+FP, Hasport Full motor Mount Kit, PRL Flex Fuel Kit, Acuity Full assembly short shifter, Comp clutch stage 3 with lightweight flywheel, Sirimoto CMC, SPC lower ball joints, D2 Air suspension+Airtekk air management.

Problems/issues: Stock Clutch with Tsp Stage 1 tune; Clutch will start to slip; Tsp Stage 1+, Clutch will definitely slip. Had a lot of issues but all of those issues were fixed; errors codes were thrown up but was able to diagnose them easily. Car does run rich somewhat due to going catless (Nothing harmful unless you're just driving recklessly everyday)

Driving style: My daily commute to work and school. I do occasionally gas up if there's a slow driver on the passing lane.

Tune experience notes: Honestly, you can configure how you want your car to react. When you get your OTS tunes, you're able to enable your throttle response and etc. I'm mainly on the aggressive options but the drive isn't bad if you know how to shift correctly and know when the clutch bites. Car's been somewhat reliable (Due to the fact that I installed all of these parts by myself and didn't pay anyone, I had to go through a lot of blood, sweat and tears. A lot of trials and errors). If you just pay someone who knows what they're doing and is a professional, you wouldn't have much errors or problems like I had. But in the end, I saved a lot of money, learned a lot about my car and if there's any issues, I can somewhat diagnose the issue.

Yosteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 civic si (Fc3)

Tuned miles driven: ~24000 (Currently sitting at 28k miles on ODO)

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, Pherable 1.5, TSP Stage 1+, Pherable 1.5 race tune with God mode, Pherable 2.5 Flex fuel.

Fuel used: Shell 93 + Sheetz e-85

Additional related mods: MAPerformance 4-tip race exhaust, PRL intercooler, PRL CAI, PRL Charge Pipes, PRL Inlet Pipe, RV6 Catless DP+FP, Hasport Full motor Mount Kit, PRL Flex Fuel Kit, Acuity Full assembly short shifter, Comp clutch stage 3 with lightweight flywheel, Sirimoto CMC, SPC lower ball joints, D2 Air suspension+Airtekk air management.

Problems/issues: Stock Clutch with Tsp Stage 1 tune; Clutch will start to slip; Tsp Stage 1+, Clutch will definitely slip. Had a lot of issues but all of those issues were fixed; errors codes were thrown up but was able to diagnose them easily. Car does run rich somewhat due to going catless (Nothing harmful unless you're just driving recklessly everyday)

Driving style: My daily commute to work and school. I do occasionally gas up if there's a slow driver on the passing lane.

Tune experience notes: Honestly, you can configure how you want your car to react. When you get your OTS tunes, you're able to enable your throttle response and etc. I'm mainly on the aggressive options but the drive isn't bad if you know how to shift correctly and know when the clutch bites. Car's been somewhat reliable (Due to the fact that I installed all of these parts by myself and didn't pay anyone, I had to go through a lot of blood, sweat and tears. A lot of trials and errors). If you just pay someone who knows what they're doing and is a professional, you wouldn't have much errors or problems like I had. But in the end, I saved a lot of money, learned a lot about my car and if there's any issues, I can somewhat diagnose the issue.
I feel you on installing all the part by yourself I did the everything my self also I feel more connected to car that way. Also how is the sirimoto cmc treating you I am tired of waiting for kzcmc to get back in stock(that clutch install took me about 1day and a half to do my slef)

KyangJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I feel you on installing all the part by yourself I did the everything my self also I feel more connected to car that way. Also how is the sirimoto cmc treating you I am tired of waiting for kzcmc to get back in stock(that clutch install took me about 1day and a half to do my slef)
The CMC is pretty good. Sirimoto is a well trusted brand for the civics so it's not as bad as buying from ebay. The clutch engagement is super short for mine since I set it pretty low. I just tap my foot and I can literally shift. Much better than having to fully clutch all the way in. It also grabs much faster and better. I ended up stalling when I first tried driving. The install is very easy as well, should take less than 30mins or an hour, and also have brake fluid prepared and a bleeder tool.

Edit: It also comes with their own clutch braided line, much better than the stock clutch line.

Yosteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si
Country flag
The CMC is pretty good. Sirimoto is a well trusted brand for the civics so it's not as bad as buying from ebay. The clutch engagement is super short for mine since I set it pretty low. I just tap my foot and I can literally shift. Much better than having to fully clutch all the way in. It also grabs much faster and better. I ended up stalling when I first tried driving. The install is very easy as well, should take less than 30mins or an hour, and also have brake fluid prepared and a bleeder tool.
Gotcha thank you I am going to buy it and install with my clutch set up hope it help with my lock out issues.

kearsang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 2019
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback Sport MT

Total tuned time: Just tuned :)

Tuned miles driven: 20 km

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V 1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5R (Map 3)

Fuel used: 94 Petro Canada (Not sure if I'll be okay running on 91 Costco)

Additional related mods: Stock

Problems/issues: I press the gas too much now :)

Driving style: Slightly quicker than traffic during commutes, spirited on exits, ramps, etc.

Tune experience notes: I love the tune, when I first flashed it I did not realize how smooth it was and how fast the boost kicked in. Absolute game-changer.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. That 1.5R tune is second to none, for sure. Definitely stick with the 94 if you can.

You're car #935 as we inch closer to 1,000 tuned cars in the thread.

Last edited:

Hellhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Touring Sedan CVT

Total tuned time: 1 week

Tuned miles driven: 300 miles (Currently at 13,500 miles)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5R

Fuel used: 91 + 1.5 gallons E85

Additional related mods: None

Driving style: Usually calm when commuting for the MPGs, with occasional bursts when everything is warmed up.

Tune experience notes: It is honestly amazing and definitely should have come from the factory like this. I can't even comprehend how it is possible to make the car this smooth and Honda not tuning it so. Phearable is definitely doing some kind of magic. It is smoother throughout with a nice bump in the low-end compared to stock which improves the city driving greatly compared to the lag I felt before. Increased idle also removed the vibration from low RPMs. Also did a pull with an A35 AMG from 50 and surprisingly kept up until about 90 mph.

Also had a quick question, does it matter if you put E85 before or after 91 in order to mix it properly, or will it just mix while driving?

And thanks gtman for the thread, it was really helpful in my decision to tune.
Sponsored