The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

HoldTheRice

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 29 months

Tuned miles driven: 20,000+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, Phearable 1.5, Phearable 1.5R (currently)

Fuel used: Sunoco 93 Ultra (exclusively)

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI (street MAF) / MAPerformance race exhaust

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Spirited. Done a pull or two, never hit full WOT or redline.

Tune experience notes: Phearable 1.5R is my favorite tune out of the 3. It makes the car feel how I would have liked from factory in regards to power and acceleration. Map 3, sport mode, pedal dance every time I start the engine. Stock clutch is still holdin' up.
Sponsored

snyperwolf62

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX w/Honda Sensing
Country flag
Use the starter 21 tune. The stage tunes are very old and missing many features.

Here's a good thread for you:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/my-ktuner-experience-an-ongoing-journal.29033/
Read through the first 20 pages and decided I'd give your set up a try xD
starter 21 tune with your recommended quick adjustments and enables (although theyve added a few new things since 2019 lol). Took it on a quick test drive on Tune 1 (because I couldnt figure out how to change the OTF tunes, but I figured it out now!) and as luck would have it I met some guy in a modified Mustang cruising on a long empty road. Well, I pulled up next to him and next thing you know he flashes me a hand signal and takes off! Not only was I able to catch up immediately, but I passed him and left him behind me all while using the "conservative" Tune 1 xD

incredible how much my car has changed after realizing that I was accidentally nerfing it with a weak tune and the wrong gas. I still don't understand the difference between the Starter 21 tune and the Dual Target 21 tune. Or how to set the custom boost levels after selecting that option :p

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I was so sad when I saw it on Instagram. I'm sorry this happened. Now I'm a bit lost on what kills the rods as there isn't an exact power at what they break, there are other L15BA being pushed further without issues, so it's confusing and I don't know what to expect from my engine. One can only hope.
Does your VIN number start with a J? I heard those are more stronger or better than usual internals.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
3/5/2022 UPDATE (last update was July 14, 2021)

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 3 years, 1 months (initial tune was 2/7/2019)

Tuned miles driven: Approximately 42600 miles (20k on Phearable's non-Si tune)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Current configuration: Phearable non-Si 1.5T CVT tune (as of 1/10/21), primarily daily driving on Map 3
  • Past tunes used: Dual calibration 21/16.5psi starter, 18psi starter, 21psi starter, 21psi with quick enables
Fuel used: Chevron, Sam's Club, Costco, Sinclair 91 octane (almost exclusively Chevron 91 these days), and a few tanks of Arco 100/91 octane mixes (in the hotter months)

Additional related mods: DIY SRI with AEM DryFlow filter, Mishimoto silicone induction hose, custom fiberglass filter heatshield (thermal reflective tape on the engine-facing sides), and ram induction ducting leading to the heatshield from the driver's side faux vent opened up. Also have a muffler delete with the stock resonator still in place.

Problems/issues: Had some fluttering sounds at high throttle and >17PSI. Don't hear it so often with the Phearable tune. Shifting the gear selector into S, getting on it a bit, then back into D make it go away for reasons. Still haven't gotten around to search for boost leaks, but fuel trims stay happy and I still get good boost. I took a road trip and noticed that my fuel economy wasn't as high as it normally was for road trips. Then again, my last road trip where I paid close attention to fuel economy was when the car was bone stock and had it for less than a month, and this last road trip, the car was just over 4 years old at this point with a Phearable tune. Lots of factors that could have changed that. Oh, and I came off a work shift and immediately headed to my mom's house, so there was less of a fuel economy concern there since I didn't wanna get there past 2am. Otherwise, still no major issues and have no lack of faith in the car's reliability.

Driving style: Still mostly the same: chill driving, slightly spirited, especially on inclined highway on-ramps and not a huge fan of driving on eco-mode. S mode if I'm feeling frisky. Paddle shifters if I'm feeling even friskier. I've been aiming for fuel economy a lot more lately since fuel prices have gone way the hell up.

Tuning experience notes: Still fun to drive on Phearable map 3. Haven't noticed any drop in performance (but I'm more attune to when my k.con is elevated now, even without TunerView open). I kinda wanna give the Phearable RACE tune a go, but I've been spending money on other expensive toys lately, so I've refrained from buying it.

CruzK20

First Name
Cruz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
3/5/22 UPDATE (last post was February 2021)

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Sedan

Total tuned time: little over 1 year

Tuned miles driven: 28K

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner

Tunes used: OTS Tune, custom pop & bang tune

Fuel used: 93-91 octane, recently started using 89 because prices are OD at the moment

Additional related mods: RV6 cat-less down pipe, HPS silicone intake hose, K&N drop in air filter, TBC Bypass, custom Cat-back with 2 magna flow resonators

Problems/issues: Still no mechanical issues, still have the CEL from the DP even with the codes disabled in Ktuner, re tuning still doesn’t get rid of it. Only new issue I’ve had is my apple car play no longer connects to phones. I believe it to be an issue with the Honda hacked infotainment system

Driving style: very spirited. Most of my driving is on the highway going to and from work, about an hour each way.

Tune experience notes: Honestly haven’t messed with the tuning in a long time. Still running great!

Maintenance: still think the maintenance minder is dumber than a bag of rocks :bonk:

These are my personal maintenance intervals:

everything is DIY because i don’t trust techs

motor oil/filter every 4K

Tranny Oil every 20k

Intake filter gets cleaned every 4K (or when I’m washing the car and have extra time)

Rotate tires every 8k

Axles/brakes/cv joints and all other fluids at least get checked every oil change and changed as needed.
Everything else I do normally

here’s what she’s looking like today
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1ACA1BFB-EA38-4F7B-B80A-CB37B88FB6A6

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) B76EBF88-7E30-4CDB-9B91-8B0136524069

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) DB304AA2-A89C-4D73-9D44-1F62FBF4F350

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Great updates guys. Thanks for helping the community. :thumbsup:

And for those who've never added an update post, they are super important. Even if it's just to post additional tuned miles. All these updates make the tune reliability aspect of this thread more accurate. Even one new update posted a year helps out.

Last edited:

18si-nepa

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic si sedan

Total tuned time: 1 year

Tuned miles driven:1k

Tuning device(s) used:k tuner

Tunes used:imw custom dyno tune 296 on 93. 340 whp on e30 @28 psi

Fuel used: 93/e85. E30

Additional related mods: Prl flex fuel kit Prl fmic, 27won w2 turbo 27won Intake with race maf. 27won turbo inlet pipe. 27won exhaust,rv6 dpfp. Numerous suspension mods and internal/external mods.

Problems/issues:none

Driving style: casual

Tune experience notes: I loved everything about my tuning experience with Derek at imw. Great guy amazing at what he does. Answers any questions and is real knowledgeable about the Honda platform.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1293B229-6053-4043-AD84-A24064E4BCE5

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. Just to verify, you've only driven 1,000 miles but you're tuned for a year? Note: The tune miles driven stat is for total tuned miles, not just custom tuned miles.

Last edited:

18si-nepa

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for adding your car. Just to verify, you've only driven 1,000 miles but you're tuned for a year? Note: The tune miles driven stat is for total tuned miles, not just custom tuned miles.
So I had tsp tune on my k tuner for 4k miles before. I went to w2 turbo and and e30 therefore I went with a custom dyno tune from drob. I don’t drive my si much as I bought a new trucks. So yes 1k miles in a year on my tune is accurate.

HBS18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SPG HB Sport
Country flag
If you're positive bad gas caused this, I do think the station is liable. The tricky issue is they could say because you were tuned that you were at fault. Did you contact a lawyer to get their opinion?

Also this is the first case we've had of bad gas causing a major failure. The gas was old? Contaminated? Any details?
Update. The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association, or ACEA concluded that gas overhere contains Manganese. It's linked to the use of a metallic additive with the trade name of MMT, which is used as an octane booster. ACEA sent a letter to authorities, hopefully they stop using that additive.
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 2
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 3
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 4

GBD

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 24 months

Tuned miles driven: 18,000+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 93 Ultra

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI (street MAF) / Invidia catback exhaust

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Spirited. rarley push to redline/WOT

Tune experience notes: With a couple of modifications + tune the car definitely felt like it punched way above it's belt. Ktuner is a great platform and I loved being able to swap tunes OTF. No issues, stayed in Map 2 was enough for me so rarely used Map 3. Always used 93oct (Cheap at costco :D)
Two-step is a great company and chose their tune for reliability and ease.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update. The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association, or ACEA concluded that gas overhere contains Manganese. It's linked to the use of a metallic additive with the trade name of MMT, which is used as an octane booster. ACEA sent a letter to authorities, hopefully they stop using that additive.
MMT is a real no no. Matter of fact, this comes directly from the Civic's owner's manual:

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Capture.JPG

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like we are in super slowdown mode as far as getting tuned owners adding their cars. Lots of posts related to tuning in the forum but little action here recently. Not sure what else I can do to get people onboard.
Sponsored