The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A couple things. Check your fuel trims with the Injen intake. Also, soft throttle padding might help with the jerkiness.
Sponsored

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
updating my previous.
2018 civic si.
91 oct costco gas or 94oct for track days.
driving style: spirited. regular trips to mexico.
160k km
tuned tsp1 with ktuner. since 10k
stage 3 clutch. since 20k aprox. clutch is still holding!! i don't know how..
other than one injector sticking issue i have not had any problems.
i run mode 2 all the time with at least one hard accel per day.
no oil burning or blowby. i feel the suspension is starting to loosen up a bit but otherwise all is solid.
I had to replace the front struts. my fault, not the car's.. they were not really showing signs of wear before i messed them up with some canadian pot holes.
I do have a rust spot showing up on the drivers rear quarter panel where it joins to the bumper but half my driving is in salty roads and snow, so thats not unexpected.

Mortax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Hatchback Fk7 sport model manual (International model)

Total tuned time:
2 - 2.5 years

Tuned miles driven:
~22000

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner v2.0

Tunes used:
Ktuner base maps; Phearable custom made map

Fuel used:
91; 93

Additional related mods:
27Won CAI+DP+FP+FMIC+RMM+Strut bar; Acuity shifter+pedal spacer+bushings; adjusted spark plugs; switched to open grille for better venting.

Problems/issues:
Had unbearable jerking with Ktuner base maps on low speed+low rpm and unstable stats (LTFT 12%, unstable K.control etc). After switching to Phearable 93Oct custom tune this problem almost gone.
In addition, with 2 (1+driver) people in the car, clutch started to slip somewhere on 55000 KM. Still holding good when only driver is in the car (new one is already waiting).

Driving style:
30-40% daily commuting; 30-40% high speed 3000-5000 driving; all the rest is going crazy when needed (10-20%)

Tune experience notes:
the only thing I want to say that John(Phearable) did great job with this custom tune. All the stats (ltft, stft, k.control, temps etc) moved to exactly place where they supposed to be, and I am very happy with this tune until now.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
John Vega is a masterful tuner, no doubt.

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
ClearEyes, a couple things. When you do an update, do a new post. Don't edit your original post. It helps me keep the stats accurate.

Secondly, although you can go straight to Phearable, try the Starter tunes for a while. For me it was a great learning experience tweaking my own tunes and getting an understanding of how each setting changed the feel of the tune.

One thing I'd recommend is using BBG and Advanced VSA to limit wheelspin. I'll let you know how to set it up when you're ready.
I read your ktuner thread and came up with this tune:
I dont know the difference between the improved vs aggressive settings so ill start with the improved and see how that works. I copied most of this from the 2nd tune you posted on that ktuner thread except I changed it so tune 1 would be my commuter tune, tune 2 for bad weather/rain, and tune 3 power since I dont want to keep the ktuner in the car all the time after i finish datalogging and want it to default to my commuter tune upon start up. I set the boost by gears the same way you first did, do you think that is enough to limit wheel spin? I did order a wheel/tire set but itll be atleast 1-2 weeks before theyre delivered.

I didnt enable any of the quick enables because im not sure what they do. Would advanced VSA help with wheel spin? Right now I dont have too much wheel spin, only if I try to floor it from a stop but im only on the stage 1 ktuner tune. Also I noticed you said you had early spool enabled, im guessing thatll make the boost come on faster? Would it affect the reliability of the engine? The car is at about 30k miles right now, if I can get 150k out of it id be content to be honest.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1642184916336

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1642184929643

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1642184899740

JB100

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI, 1968 Ford F100
Country flag
A couple things. Check your fuel trims with the Injen intake. Also, soft throttle padding might help with the jerkiness.
Thanks for the input, Injen was not my first choice, but I picked up the Injen, CAI, charge tubes, intercooler and flex fuel kit out of a totaled hatchback sport for less than $500. Could not say no to that deal!

My LTFT hovers around -10 and STFT goes -5 to -15.
Everyone talks about fuel trims, but I cannot find anything that shows the long term affects of fuel trims on engine performance or reliability. What is considered "Bad" fuel trims and what is acceptable? These questions always seem to have generic and vague information floating around. If there is a thread with some data to review, I would love to learn more about it.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
+ or -10 LTFT is at the far end of "acceptable" fuel trims. Probably better to be on the -10 end (rich) as opposed to +10 (lean) though. Here's a great and easy to understand read on fuel trims:

https://www.27won.com/blog/yeah-but-what-are-your-fuel-trims

Having been here for 6+ years and having seen it all, I'd recommend switching to a PRL Cobra or 27Won. Just too many horror stories with Injen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ClearEyes, your setup looks good. Try it and see how you like it. It's a bit of trial and error.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
driving style: spirited. regular trips to mexico.
160k km
tuned tsp1 with ktuner. since 10k
stage 3 clutch. since 20k aprox. clutch is still holding!! i don't know how..
other than one injector sticking issue i have not had any problems.
Awesome to read this. High tuned miles driven and reliable! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to the recent updates and new additions we just surpassed 13 million total tuned miles driven. :)

Siluxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Update

Vehicle
: 2018 Civic EX Hatchback

Total tuned time: 4 months

Tuned miles driven: ~1000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: Wawa 93

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: Tires losing traction under moderate throttle.

Driving style: Stay within the speed limit, but accelerate quickly multiple times a drive.

Tuning experience notes: I've been having an issue with my tires slipping whenever I try to accelerate quickly. It seems like it usually happens around half throttle and above. I'm not sure if I just have low quality tires or if I need to adjust something in the tune. The tires on my car are Continental Pro Contact (they were on it when I bought it). Any suggestions?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tuning experience notes: I've been having an issue with my tires slipping whenever I try to accelerate quickly. It seems like it usually happens around half throttle and above. I'm not sure if I just have low quality tires or if I need to adjust something in the tune. The tires on my car are Continental Pro Contact (they were on it when I bought it). Any suggestions?
It's the tires. I recommend using quick boost by gear it "1st". Try setting it to say, 16 psi and see if that helps any. I also use Advanced VSA set to the light setting. Honestly, the CVT turbos run best if you accelerate from a roll versus from a stop.

Last edited:

Siluxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Okay cool I'll check that out. Any suggestions on tires/good sites for research on them? Its bad enough to where even when I accelerate from a roll they still like to slip once the power kicks in.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)