The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Average Joeee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
there's a mount that goes over the hazard button, one that bolts in via a bolt from the head unit, and a neat diy one you can easily conjure up that mounts to the triangle vent on the dash jsut to the right of the driver side A pillar. lmk if you want links for any, i'll do the hunting.
Yeah throw some links at me preferably the head unit
Sponsored

the27thaxe

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Total tuned time: 3 weeks
Tuned miles driven: about 400 miles
Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flash Pro
Tunes used: Base 2020 Si map
Fuel used: 98 Shell Only
Additional related mods: PRL Short Ram
Problems/issues: high idle above 1 MPH (1200-1500RPM) Adjusting tune mods to figure out cause
Driving style: Light foot for fuel sipping. Occasional short burst of sporty driving for giggles
Tuning experience notes:
Car responds well to the tune and the intake with noticeable power gains. So far no major issues. Just trying to figure out what is causing the high idle while at any speed above 1mph. Car will throttle down (engine brake) to normal idle in gear but then try to accelerate in order to maintain 1200-1500 rpm. Does this in neutral also and reverse. will resume normal idle when stopped. Not sure if this is due to the fact that i mostly only drive to and from work and the car has not properly relearned the idle or if this is due to one of the mods used on the base tune. I removed throttle sensitivity which seems to have helped slightly and will now be removing optimized turbo spool to see if that helps.

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
As a general rule, John Vega's tunes tend to be smoother than Derek's for what it's worth. I'm not too familiar with the flex fuel tune though.
I currently have the tsp2(flex tune) and its jerky. While going slow.
I think im gonna get the phearable tune though. Power curve seems smoother(if thats the word for it)
Who is john vega?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
JV is Phearable.

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si coupe

Total tuned time: 5 months roughly

Tuned miles driven: 11,000miles(got the car at 47k it now has 60k flashed 4 or 5 days after getting it

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v2

Tunes used: 19psi base, 19/21psi base, 19/21 with aggressive settings, 23psi basemap, Tsp1, Tsp2,(ordering phearable 2.5

Fuel used: Sheetz flex fuel and 93. 30-35% ethenol target

Additional related mods: cobra cai, intake manifold, mishimoto intercooler,catless dp,thermal 3in r&d exhaust, prl flex fuel kit, solid mounts,mishimoto catch can,need to get my cm fx350 and flywheel in

Problems/issues: dealership sold me it with injectors on their last leg. And a bad batter. I broke a clock spring. Nothing tune related so far

Driving style: casual. With low effort pulls regularly. Occasionally i rip on it

Tuning experience notes: i liked the tsp1 tune. The tsp2 seems jerky to me.
Flex fuel is awesome. Although to be honest. I thought when i got it. That i could run straight flex fuel(60% at the first tank full) it felt slower then tsp1. Upon realizing people mix it and asking corey from tsp. I found out i would start misfiring if i ran 60%+.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the update, man. :thumbsup:

As far as flex fuel, 35-40% is probably as high as you should go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I want to take the time to thank everyone who's added their cars and especially those who have added additional new posts showing updates. This is definitely a team effort. I may be the architect and the statistician, but you guys are the workers building this thing for the community.

Those updates are really the key to this whole project. Right now (on average), cars have around 14,000 tuned miles on them. Still not enough to really make a prediction on reliability.

It's only when more people start putting on 30-40,000 tuned miles (and more) that we can really get a grasp on reliability. The only thing I can say 100% from the stats so far is that tuning means there's much less margin for error if you abuse your ride.

Updates aside, I wish more people would add their tuned cars. It's pretty simple. The more tuned owners adding their car and racking up the tune miles, the more sure we can be about tune reliability. Is it basically safe, a slow ticking time bomb or something in between?

The other aspect of this thread is the "tune experience" part. And I think that gets overlooked sometimes. It's cool to see what everyone is doing in terms of their builds and those tune experience notes really do add to our tuning knowledge.

Thanks again for being part of this thread. And if you're tuned and not in the thread yet, it's never to late to join the party. ;)

Last edited:

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 EX Hatchback (CVT)
Total tuned time: About 2 hour
Tuned miles driven: 50
Tuning device(s) used: KTuner
Tunes used: TSP Stage 1
Fuel used: premium 93 Premium
Additional related mods: PRL stage 1 intake
Problems/issues: Nothing
Tuning experience notes: First time tuning a car. I was a baby and waited almost a year to actually flash the tune (I bought the KTuner last Black Friday), mainly because I wasn't driving much since I was working from home until recently. Well, after driving on a highway I realize that was a mistake. While the car isn't some crazy sports car, it was definitely more fun to drive and Map 3 was definitely noticeable on the highway. On multiple occasions I'd just switch lanes and lightly accelerate (or so I thought) and next thing I knew I was pushing 90 without even trying. People talk about how much smoother Phearable is than TSP, which I'm wondering how thats possible because TSP felt really smooth acceleration.

I'm curious, how many people just leave TSP Stage 1 in Map 3 all the time vs Map 1/2. I feel a difference from stock to Map 1 but nothing huge. Map 2 was somewhat noticeable but Map 3 was where it isat. I guess my question, is there any downside from driving in Map 3 all the time (besides worse gas mileage and more a reliability standpoint)? With Atlanta traffic it probably makes sense to just keep it in Map 1 most of the time except when the roads are clear.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You actually tuned? Wow! :eek:

If you like Map 3, use Map 3. Control mpgs with your right foot and the power is there when you need it.

One thing I'm not a huge fan of is TSP's boost setup of the maps. Map 1 is more or less a stock+ feel. Map 2 is only 16.5 psi. So, in a lot of ways, using Map 3 all the time makes sense.

And yes, Phearable is much smoother and the 15/20/24 psi setup is better (IMO).

Side note: You used the 700th KTuner unit in the thread to flash your tune.

Last edited:

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
You actually tuned? Wow! :eek:

If you like Map 3, use Map 3. Control mpgs with your right foot and the power is there when you need it.

One thing I'm not a huge fan of is TSP's boost setup of the maps. Map 1 is more or less a stock+ feel. Map 2 is only 16.5 psi. So, in a lot of ways, using Map 3 all the time makes sense.

And yes, Phearable is much smoother and the 15/20/24 psi setup is better (IMO).

Side note: You used the 700th KTuner unit in the thread to flash your tune.
Yea I finally grew a pair and flashed it. Maybe one day I’ll try Phearable but after one drive I’m happy with it.

And the funny thing is at one point I could have been the 500th one but was too chicken.

Whats the estimated boost in TSP map 3?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey SilverArrow, your last update post was in August 2020. Any chance of helping out with a new update post?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it bad that my AFR goes to 29 on decel?
Horrible. Sell your car ASAP!!!

You're fine man. Like I've told you before, maybe just enjoy the drive for a while. ;)
Sponsored