The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Long_Meats, I have a question.
You lowered the VTEC engagement point. Does it increase the oil pressure automatically when you switch lobes? Usually the car has to be warmed up enough to switch over. But having it switch over 200rpm earlier(not sure the rpms straight from the factory, so assuming 5500rpm)will the oil pump move enough oil to support it?
Sponsored

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Long_Meats, I have a question.
You lowered the VTEC engagement point. Does it increase the oil pressure automatically when you switch lobes? Usually the car has to be warmed up enough to switch over. But having it switch over 200rpm earlier(not sure the rpms straight from the factory, so assuming 5500rpm)will the oil pump move enough oil to support it?
Sorry, unfortunately I have no idea on that. It was an update from KTuner about a year ago which they updated it to lower the VTEC to 5300. I would expect KTuner did all the work of making sure their tune safe for the car.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I was just approached to add my info, so here it is. Been a fantastic car so far.

Vehicle: 2019 Si

Total tuned time:
Stage 1 about a year, Stage 2 about a year.

Tuned miles driven:
Stage 1 about 25k, Stage 2 about 25k

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V2

Tunes used:
TSP Stage 1, Phearable Stage 2.5 (current)

Fuel used:
Stage 1 was 93 (10% ethanol at pump), Stage 2 is 93 and 35% ethanol

Additional related mods:
PRL Flex Fuel sensor, CM FX350 w/ aluminum flywheel, Cobra CAI w/race MAF, Eibach Pro Kit springs and F/R sway bars, EBC slotted rotors w/ Red Stuff pads, Hasport 82a mounts, and more.

Problems/issues:
Factory clutch went bad on Stage 1 tune, lost 4th gear on Stage 2 tune, clunking noise (axle going bad??), increased NVH after upgrading engine mounts. Car is solid otherwise. Upgrading transmission for track days at high torque and long duration runs.

Driving style:
Daily commuter, mild on the street, with a few aggressive turns and a highway pull here and there. Autocross SCCA (STX class), Track days at larger course as I can.

Tuning experience notes:
Other than a few throttle settings, I rely on Phearable tune for traction control on the street. I turn all of nannies off at the track. I'd like a pro-tune, but don't need it until I solve the transmission issue. If I can't build a reliable tranny with upgraded stock gears, there is no need to tune for more power.

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si sedan

Mileage before tuned: ~ 42,200 miles

Total tuned time: 1 day

Tuned miles driven: 30

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: 93 (Mobil, Sunoco, Shell, BP)

Additional related mods: PRL Short Ram Intake (Street MAF)

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning any of my cars but from the first 3rd gear pull after flashing it, I could already say that the flash alone turned the car into a completely different machine.
I have yet to do any logging or checking parameters since I just flashed the car today, but with 30-40 degree weather in NY at the moment it pulls quite hard. I plan on grabbing a DP and front pipe so I could imagine I will notice a bit more from that paired with the Phearable 1.5 tune.
UPDATE 11/29/2021

Total tuned time:
10 days
Tuned miles driven: ~ 400 miles
Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2
Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5
Fuel used: 93 (Gulf)
Additional related mods: PRL Short Ram Intake (Street MAF)
Problems/issues: None
Driving style: Casual with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: Still fairly new with this tune but have been trying jot down anything that I can think of that has changed. Car has been running great so far, I went back to the same gas station I filled up with last time to make sure of no changes (Gulf).
I also plan on having the ktuner plugged in to check some parameters for a few days and and check to compare with what Phearable has listed as average values.
I did notice a drop in MPG's based on my average, I was at around 33.2MPG and now I am at 32.0MPG . I'm sure it has to do with me going back n forth between sport and normal and testing out Phearable's low boost and medium boost levels when I go out and take my friends for a ride to show them the difference.
Just purchased PRL's new High Volume DP and the Perrin RMM inserts so when all that arrives sometime around mid December I will come back and make an update about that as well.

Did anyone have to actually do anything to their tune when installing a DP post flashing the car?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind too that with colder weather, mpgs tend to drop a bit.

As far as the downpipe, that's the new pre-order one, right? Catted?

With downpipes you'll often see P0420 and/or P0138 and P0139 codes. Those can easily be disabled in KTuner if needed (circled in red).

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) upload_2019-3-30_22-24-4

Last edited:

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Keep in mind too that with colder weather, mpgs tend to drop a bit.

As far as the downpipe, that's the new pre-order one, right? Catted?

With downpipes you'll often see P0420 and/or P0138 and P0139 codes. Those can easily be disabled in KTuner if needed (circled in red).

upload_2019-3-30_22-24-4.png
Yea the high volume one with the 400 cell cat.
Apparently no ECU calibration is required for so maybe it won’t throw any codes?
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) BAF60068-EA1E-4BC7-A24F-696250EDB1CB

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Mileage Update Post - enlarged hybrid turbo (4th tested... !)

Vehicle: 2017 Civic 1.5T Sedan [Elegance - EU - base model]

Total tuned time: 43 months

Total tuned mileage: 95.000km (~58.000 miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Starter 21 with calibrated MAF (~ 1 year), TSP Stage 1 (few weeks), Custom self-tune on stock turbo (~1 year), Custom Tune by HondaSport.gr with upgraded turbo [TD025+ like...], Custom Tune by HondaSport.gr with upgraded TD03 hybrid turbo

Fuel used: 100 RON EU

Additional engine mods: 27Won CAI Street MAF, Wagner Intercooler /w piping , Custom Hybrid TD03 turbo, Custom catted DP/FP combo, Whiteline RMM Insert

Problems/issues: None.

Driving style: Mostly commuting, but 2-3 WOT pulls a day, and a few spirited back road drives per month as my spare time permits. Been to a local track lately, resulted in replacing my front worn brakes with the Renault Megane 3 RS BBK.

Tuning experience notes: TSP was running very rich so I didn't keep it for long (also jerky in low speeds). I then started to mess with the tunes myself reaching 230whp on a dynapack. An Si-like turbo reached 250whp and 36kgm of torque (~260lbft) and now the TD03 hybrid made it to the 260+ range on the stock clutch with professional help. The results were great for a base EU model. Dyno attached with the update. Also installed the Whiteline RMM insert, and needed to set my idle to 800rpm to restore NVH to factory levels.

thought i'd share a couple photos showing some burgundy night pearl love :)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) megara-49-turn.pn

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) megara-49-side.pn

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 262090467_922574571733741_455172473557264249_n

terps2005

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 6 days

Tuned miles driven: 200

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v 1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5 Si

Fuel used: Shell 93

Additional related mods: Map Intake

Problems/issues: It took several tries to get the ECU locked to the Ktuner and it froze while uploading the factory software. After that no issues....no warning lights, maintenance minder stayed set and the car has run well. So far all is well with the car and the clutch but I guess time will tell!

Driving style: Mostly boring long commute (40+ miles 1 way) with occasional stomping on it.

Tuning experience notes: It was nerve wracking as hell but 100% would recommend.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
terps ...

Can you post a datalog here (standard .kdlg KTuner format in a .zip file) for me to check out for you?

That MAPerformance intake can cause some fuel trim issues.

Last edited:

Dario1017

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 civic si sedan

Total tuned time: 3 months

Total tuned miles: 2k+

Tuning Device Used: Ktuner v2

Additional engine mods: PRL CAI Race Maf

Problems/Issues: Bad TPMS sensor, Driver mode change unavailable sometimes it won’t let me go into sport but for now it’s all good.

Fuel Used: 91+

Driving style: Rides nice and smooth, pulls hard thanks to the Pherable race tune.

terps2005

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
terps ...

Can you post a datalog here (standard .kdlg KTuner format in a .zip file) for me to check out for you?

That MAPerformance intake can cause some fuel trim issues.
I haven't data logged anything yet. I picked up a cheap android tablet to use for tuner view and the numbers didnt look too crazy...LTFT 0-3 and STFT jumps up to about 20 when on the gas hard but stays close to zero when cruising.

Im pretty new to all of this so are there any certain parameters I should be looking for to determine if the intake is causing issues?

Thanks for all you do around here!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those fuel trims seem good. I was just basing my post on some threads that say the MAP intake uses a non-standard MAF housing and needs some scaling.

Last edited:

terps2005

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Those fuel trims seem good. I was just basing my posts on some threads that say the MAP intake uses a non-standard MAF housing and needs some scaling.
I appreciate it. I did just grab some logs on a short drive...here they are...

Attachments

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So it's tricky to draw a conclusion from a 4 minute log. Long term trims look good but with a short drive like this that can be deceiving. You short term trims were pretty lean (consistently +10% or above) when you were 50% or more on the throttle. Everything else was great but those lean STFTs scare me. I'm pretty sure this is related to your MAP intake.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Capture.GIF

Last edited:

terps2005

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
So it's tricky to draw a conclusion from a 4 minute log. Long term trims look good but with a short drive like this that can be deceiving. You short term trims were pretty lean (consistently +10% or above) when you were 50% or more on the throttle. Everything else was great but those lean STFTs scare me. I'm pretty sure this is related to your MAP intake.

Capture.GIF
What do you think? Throw stock intake back on there and check the fuel trims?