The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve been car foruming since the 90s and I’ll tell you… one of the best things about having that Civic was happening across this forum. 9thgen forums… z31… z32… twin turbo net… clubrsx… and any other I’ve been a member of… none of them compare this this group.
Obviously, Honda owners generally have an above average IQ!?
Sponsored

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
One month update. Went out for the most "spirited" drive I've had since owning the Civic on lunch today and data logged for the first time. I wanted to have a baseline because I have a few new things planned to go on the car next weekend (27won intake, Mishimoto intercooler, plus a few other things).

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: ~1 month

Tuned miles driven: 1,100 (~13,800 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Still 93 octane, last two tanks have been "Top Tier" gasoline. Will go out of my way to use that only moving forward now that I know what local stations are considered "Top Tier."

Additional related mods: Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can

Problems/issues: No performance issues to note. Knock control rock solid at 0.49. I do get an annoying "rattle" (though I think it's air noise) from the catch can around ~2,300-2,600 RPM when the engine is warmed up. Doesn't bother me as much as it bothers the wife.

Driving style: Still very conservative. Have about an 11 mile commute one way to work. Mostly 40 MPH speed limit. Averaging between 33-34 MPG. Even my "spirited" drive today is probably tame by many people's standards. I have throttle position showing on my KTuner and it rarely gets above 35 percent.

Tuning experience notes: Been running MAP 2, non-eco mode almost exclusively for the past three weeks. Seems to be the best balance for a daily commuter. Probably done with performance type mods after the aforementioned intake and intercooler. I was originally going to do a down pipe/front pipe, but at that point I'm going to go for a custom tune. Little more than I want to spend.

I picked through today's data logs and everything looks OK to me, but have uploaded them here if anyone is interested.
Couple days ahead of two months, but thought I'd update again:

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: ~2 months

Tuned miles driven: 2,100 (~14,800 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Fuel used: Top Tier 93 Octane

Additional related mods (**lots of changes since last update**): Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can, Mishimoto Intercooler, 27won CAI, MSD Blaster Ignition Coils, NGK Ruthenium Spark Plugs, HASport 62A Motor Mount

Problems/issues: No performance issues to note. With the cooler weather settling in the catch can doesn't stay hot as long, which means the annoying rattle is gone.

I just recently did a Blackstone Labs oil analysis and everything looked good wear-wise. Fuel dilution was at the max recommended level, so something to keep an eye on.

Driving style: Map 2, non-eco. I've learned that I need to punch it more to get shifting to be smoother. I was being too easy on it and shifting from first to second was tough to get right at lower RPMs. I have been a little harder on it lately, but overall still conservative.

Tuning experience notes: I have a few suspension upgrades coming (Si springs, Si RSB) that will go on after winter. I don't think I'll be adding anything else, perhaps an exhaust but I think that's unlikely. Overall it feels really good, and even on the stock Continentals I feel like the power/control balance is about perfect for a DD. Adding the HASport mount made a huge difference in shifting and overall tightened up the feel of the car.

I may consider moving to Phearable at some point in the future. Due to ice/snow, I switched to stock eco map a few days ago and dare I say it felt pretty good driving around town? No where near the responsiveness or quickness, but it felt buttery smooth compared to how jerky TSP can be down low.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve been car foruming since the 90s and I’ll tell you… one of the best things about having that Civic was happening across this forum. 9thgen forums… z31… z32… twin turbo net… clubrsx… and any other I’ve been a member of… none of them compare this this group.
Hope you still come around. Your insightful posts over the years are a part of why this forum is great

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Always update with a new post only.

Going through some pages today I saw several cases of people going back and editing their original post to reflect their updated info.

Unfortunately, in doing so, all the original info is being overwritten. Meaning that I can't update the thread stats because the old info is gone.

I use the old, original post to compare the to the new post. I then note the changes and am able to properly update the thread stats.

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Current thread stats

Tuned cars submitted: 827

1.5T Non-Si: 384 (46%); Si: 360; CTR: 60; 2.0 NA: 23

Total tuned miles driven: 11,984,000 (reported)
Most tuned miles driven: choo (139,000)
Cars with over 25,000 tuned miles: 121 (15%)

Cars with major drivetrain failures: 18 (2.2%)
Failures by model: Si 4; Non-Si 14*; 2.0 NA 0; CTR 0
Failures by tune type: Base 8; OTS 3; Custom 7
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.8%

Transmissions: CVT 290 (35%); Manual 537 (65%)
Base models: 71% CVT; 29% Manual
Upgraded clutches installed: 90 (16%)
CVT failure rate: 1.9% (5)

Hondata used for tuning: 178; Race (152) Carb (26)
KTuner used for tuning: 687; V1.2 (390) V2 (297)
Other devices used: JB4 3; RaceChip 4; Motec 4
Usage rate: KTuner 79%; Hondata 20%; Other 1%

Pro custom tuned cars: 163 (20%)
Base tuned only cars: 254 (30%)

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (335) (41%)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (171)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (45); Phearable 1.5R (36)

Most popular fuel used: 93 octane (432; 52%)
Users adding 1-1.5 gallons E85: 97 (12%)
Flex fuel kits installed: 91 (11%)

No bolt ons added: 253 (31%)
Bolt ons added (not FBO): 406 (49%)
Cars with full bolt ons: 168 (20%)

Cold air intakes installed: 316 (38%)
Short ram intakes installed: 92 (12%)
Upgraded intercoolers installed: 259 (31%)
Aftermarket exhausts installed: 219 (26%)

Aftermarket downpipes installed: 251 (30%)
Aftermarket frontpipes installed: 176 (21%)
Upgraded turbo inlet pipes installed: 74 (8%)
Upgraded turbos installed: 66 (7%)

* includes a 1.5T powered CR-V

Last edited:

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si sedan

Mileage before tuned: ~ 42,200 miles

Total tuned time: 1 day

Tuned miles driven: 30

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: 93 (Mobil, Sunoco, Shell, BP)

Additional related mods: PRL Short Ram Intake (Street MAF)

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning any of my cars but from the first 3rd gear pull after flashing it, I could already say that the flash alone turned the car into a completely different machine.
I have yet to do any logging or checking parameters since I just flashed the car today, but with 30-40 degree weather in NY at the moment it pulls quite hard. I plan on grabbing a DP and front pipe so I could imagine I will notice a bit more from that paired with the Phearable 1.5 tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wont do a full write up yet since I just uploaded Phearable 1.5 onto my car so I'll give it a few weeks before I do a complete post.
But for the 3hours or so that my cars tuned, its been great. I tested out map 1 and 2 and the car is much more responsive and you notice the difference as to how it was prior to flashing the car.

Looking forward to updating you guys once I've driven it a decent amount!
Actually I recommend adding your car in the full format seen in my original post, no matter how few tuned miles driven. That way you can be included in the stats as part of this important thread.

The idea is to then add new update posts with additional tuned miles, tune changes, mods, and tuning experiences.

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Actually I recommend adding your car in the full format seen in my original post, no matter how few tuned miles driven. That way you can be included in the stats as part of this important thread.

The idea is to then add new update posts with additional tuned miles, tune changes, mods, and tuning experiences.
no problem! will modify the post now, sorry about that.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I understand where you were coming from. But you'd be surprised how many people tell me "I'll add my car when I have more miles" and never do.

By adding you car earlier you become part of the thread and IMO every tuned car added helps the community.

Like I said, add a new post from time to time to update things. Thanks.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Los1391 thanks for adding your car. The reason I say adding your car is important even though you don't have a bunch of miles yet is that a lot of people are still on the fence about tuning.

When they see someone adding their same model car and see the tune that person uses and what mods they have and what gas they use etc., it helps them.

You're tuned car #828 in the thread.

Last edited:

Jambles

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si sedan

Mileage before tuned: ~ 44,400 miles

Total tuned time: 11 months

Tuned miles driven: 16,600

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Fuel used: 91 (Shell V-Power, Costco, Chevron)

Additional related mods: PRL CAI Street, RV6 downpipe, Ark exhaust, Mishimoto intercooler

Problems/issues: Injectors Failed at 51,000 miles (2nd owner of vehicle)

Driving style: Casual spirited driving/commuting.

Tuning experience notes: Bought the car used at 39,800 miles and kept it stock until I tuned it with TSP stage 1 with only the PRL CAI Street and Mishimoto intercooler, the car showed signs of bad LTFT prior to the intake and other modifications. Over time the car started to have a rough idle (LTFT in the extreme negatives) and was serviced for injector failure and replaced. I have not had an issue since the injectors were replaced. The problem may have been prior to my ownership and slowly got worse as I drove the car.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jambles, thanks for adding your car.

Also, thanks for mentioning that your car may have had an injector issue PRIOR to you purchasing and tuning it. Unfortunately, these injectors have been a problem to an extent.

Side note: Adding your car has put us over 12 million total tuned miles.

Last edited:

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Asked by the OP to share my car's reliability with it's tune:

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: Roughly 3 months.

Tuned miles driven:
Around 5,000 (car has been in the shop for a while)

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata Flashpro.

Tunes used
: Stock Hondata calibration tune for 93 Octane.

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional related mods:
PRL HVI, HKS Intercooler, HKS Charge Pipes, HKS Legamax Exhaust. Currently waiting for my PRL Turbo Inlet Pipe and Race MAF Conversion.

Problems/issues:
None so far.

Driving style:
It's my daily but I would describe my driving style at sporty.

Tuning experience notes:
I can definitely feel the difference after installing Flashpro. Eventually I'd like a custom tune to unlock the true potential of the car after I finish FBO's.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)