The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Additional related mods: Injen Ram Air Intake
Thanks for adding your car. Keep an eye on your fuel trims. They tend to be wonky with that intake.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some more thread stats of interest.

• 50% of owners have added a CAI or SRI.
  • Only 25 people (3%) have tuned with a CARB Flashpro.
  • 47% of owners use a KTuner V1.2 for tuning.
  • Less than 3% of the cars in the thread are 2.0 NA models.
  • Out of the 18 major failures, 8 were from neglect or abuse. 3 were from factory defects and covered under warranty. The other 7 were mostly high output, full bolt on setups.
  • 46% of cars in the thread are Non-Si 1.5T models.
  • Nearly 2/3 of the cars in the thread are manuals.

Let's keep this thread going. It's especially important for gathering reliability stats and trends. If you're tuned, add you're car here. If you've already added your tuned car, add a new update post from time to time.

Last edited:

Tocky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan

Total tuned time: 23 months

Tuned miles driven: 25,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1; currently using KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21 w/aggressive quick adjustments; TSP Stage 1; currently using Phearable's 1.5R tune

Fuel used: 93 Premium

Additional related mods: Injen CAI; Invidia Catback Exhaust; PRL Intercooler; PRL Downpipe and Frontpipe

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Aggressive from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: Throttle response was my biggest problem with this car stock and just placing a basemap changed the driving experience completely.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. As I mentioned to a guy earlier in the thread, keep your eye on your fuel trims with that Injen intake. It's pretty inconsistent. Feel free to post a datalog here and I'll check it out for you.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for input. yes race maf.

1635445828541.png

Only other thing I can think of relating to fuel is with is MSD coils and NGK sparks.

I revisited my log in 2021 march.
the boost meets bp cmd. and stft seems ok at red light stops.

so something changed after march caused both....
The 27won race MAF is massive and hard to tune at low flow. Some of that could be your ECU trying to figure out out

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some more thread stats of interest.

• 50% of owners have added an a CAI or SRI.
  • Only 25 people (3%) have tuned with a CARB Flashpro.
  • 47% of owners use a KTuner V1.2 for tuning.
  • Less than 3% of the cars in the thread are 2.0 NA models.
  • Out of the 18 major failures, 8 were from neglect or abuse. 3 were from factory defects and covered under warranty. The other 7 were mostly high output, full bolt on setups.
  • 46% of cars in the thread are Non-Si 1.5T models.
  • Nearly 2/3 of the cars in the thread are manuals.

Let's keep this thread going. It's especially important for gathering reliability stats and trends. If you're tuned, add you're car here. If you've already added your tuned car, add a new update post from time to time.
I would LOVE to see more CVT owners in the stats, the CVTs ARE capable of handling tunes without issues as long as the tune is somewhat conservative and maintenance is done and minimal-no abuse is done to the car. A common speculation is the limit for the CVTs is 250tq according to a video released by Hondata, however the CONTEXT is that they absolutely thrashed their car to death, and on a tune not specifically meant to ramp up that torque in a safe manner. If the car is cared for (CVT fluid changes, CVT cooler if possible, and all other care done) properly, you don't treat it like a standard AT and do burnouts, break-boosting, etc. then the CVT can hold up to more power than what Hondata stated in their video. At least, that is my opinion on the matter.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Ext coupe

Total tuned time: 3 years 7 months

Total miles driven: 128,5xx Tuned miles: 65,500

Tuning device: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: 19/21 baseman

Fuel used: Shell 93 mostly, always top tier

Additional mods: None

Driving style: Mostly laid back, WOT a few times a week, unless someone wants to go.

Update: Car was totalled on September 25th.? I recently purchased a 2017 touring coupe with 46k to replace it. I will tune it as soon as I can get a new license from Ktuner.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Ext coupe

Total tuned time: 3 years 7 months

Total miles driven: 128,5xx Tuned miles: 65,500

Tuning device: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: 19/21 baseman

Fuel used: Shell 93 mostly, always top tier

Additional mods: None

Driving style: Mostly laid back, WOT a few times a week, unless someone wants to go.

Update: Car was totalled on September 25th.? I recently purchased a 2017 touring coupe with 46k to replace it. I will tune it as soon as I can get a new license from Ktuner.
Bet you're happy you are finally back in a new Civic!! I remember your initial post talking about what happened, glad you are okay man. Once you have some more time in the seat I'd personally like to hear what differences existed between the 2016 EXT and your new 2017 Touring! Were they both 1.5t's?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bet you're happy you are finally back in a new Civic!! I remember your initial post talking about what happened, glad you are okay man. Once you have some more time in the seat I'd personally like to hear what differences existed between the 2016 EXT and your new 2017 Touring! Were they both 1.5t's?
Yes. Both 1.5t. I could never be happy with the 2.0.

nawx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Alright I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread before and if I did, I can’t seem to find it.

I have a 2019 EX, 1.5T (CVT) with 63k miles now. I purchased it in June/July of 2019 and have been tuned since September of 2019 with roughly 4-5k miles. I had the CVT fluid redone at the dealer at 30k and will check in with them about having it done again soon. Only problem I had was a spark plug going bad but it wasn’t fouled. So far so good ??

Vehicle: 2019 EX-T CVT

Total tuned time: 2 years

Tuned miles driven: ~59k

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner 21psi, TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 92 Octane

Additional related mods: 27won Intake, Rv6 Catless Downpipe

Problems/issues: Broken spark plug...Pretty sure its unrelated

Driving style: semi aggressive

Tuning experience notes:

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a reminder, guys. Please use the 10 item format from my first post when adding your car to the thread. That way I can compile the stats in a uniform, accurate way. Just copy and paste and add your info. Thanks.

Vehicle:

Total tuned time:

Tuned miles driven:

Tuning device(s) used:

Tunes used:

Fuel used:

Additional related mods:

Problems/issues:

Driving style:

Tuning experience notes:

Last edited:

nawx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just a reminder, guys. Please use the 10 item format below when adding your car to the thread. That way I can compile the stats in a uniform, accurate way. Thanks.

Vehicle:

Total tuned time:

Tuned miles driven:

Tuning device(s) used:

Tunes used:

Fuel used:

Additional related mods:

Problems/issues:

Driving style:

Tuning experience notes:
I'll reformat it :) I didn't see it since I was in a rush at the doctors office lol

Last edited:

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread before and if I did, I can’t seem to find it.

I have a 2019 EX, 1.5T (CVT) with 63k miles now. I purchased it in June/July of 2019 and have been tuned since September of 2019 with roughly 4-5k miles. I had the CVT fluid redone at the dealer at 30k and will check in with them about having it done again soon. Only problem I had was a spark plug going bad but it wasn’t fouled. So far so good ??

Vehicle: 2019 EX-T CVT

Total tuned time: 2 years

Tuned miles driven: ~59k

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner 21psi, TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 92 Octane

Additional related mods: 27won Intake, Rv6 Catless Downpipe

Problems/issues: Broken spark plug...Pretty sure its unrelated

Driving style: semi aggressive

Tuning experience notes:
How are you liking the RV6 downpipe? Are you otherwise stock exhaust? How does it sound? Any noticeable butt-dyno performance gains? Thanks for adding your car

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Type R FK8

Total tuned time: Approximately 1 year

Total tuned mileage: Approx. 20K miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata FlashPro

Tunes used: Current configuration: Phearable Stage 2.1 (as of 5/15/2021)
  • Ran approximately 6-months on Hondata canned tune prior to above.

Fuel used: Shell 93-octane whenever possible, Chevron, even Racetrack on road trips. Lots of road trips!

Additional engine mods: PRL Stage 1 intake with K&N, PRL intercooler with hose kit, turbo blanket, RV6 hi-flow cat downpipe, AWE Street Exhaust. (Have Xtreme DI Fuel pump and another goody or two waiting to go in.)

Chassis: K-tuned springs, Rotodisc brake rotors, Project Mu "Club Racer" pads with titanium backing pads (front-only), Rigid Collar set, Whiteline anti-lift kit, front tower brace.

Problems/issues: No engine issues. Excellent fuel economy in Comfort mode, though I must be running rich cause I get much better at higher altitudes. In case anyone wants to know, track time at NOLA Motorsports = 8 mpg.
Began to get toe-out under hard braking (Compliance Mounts?), Anti-lift kit (replaces Compliance Mounts) seems to have resolved.

Driving style: varies greatly. Spirted overall, but econo-driving on road trip (unless I get into a roll-race in Mexico), courteous and responsible in traffic, to scaring the crap out of passengers on the Cherohala Skyway or the Dragon. (I road-trip to that area 3-4 times per year.)

Tuning Experience: Phearable, so not much. Order (providing information), receive and flash, just like everyone says you cannot do and get top performance. Runs like a rabid, scalded dog on crack. No, won't win any roll-racing competition, but out in the world, I've left many a Mustang and Camaro SS behind.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)