The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

MK2x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Thanks for the props but mostly thanks for your regular updates. I think what a lot of people here don't realize (clearly you do) is that you don't need to wait a year to do an update or to wait til you have major changes.

The three things that are the most important to post are additional tuned time, additional tuned miles and whether issues have or haven't occurred since your last post.

Without that, we really won't get a true picture of long term tuned CivicX reliability.

The biggest hurdle is getting people to add new posts with updates. If you take all cars in the thread and average the tuned miles out per car, it's 14,000+. That's not a lot of miles. The reason that number is very low is the lack of tuned miles being updated.

I sure hope that changes. I mean, if Joe Jones added his car two years ago with 15,000 tuned miles and never added an update (that's the case for a lot of cars in the thread), the overall stat numbers are skewed.

By the same token, if Joe's engine blew and he never posted an update in the thread, that skews the reliability numbers, too.

This has to be a team effort. All I can do is collect and present the data that I'm given. This thread will only be as good as owners here make it.
Do you have an approximate HP limit before problems occurred? I wanna do some bolt ons, but definitely need to know where to stop as I don't have the Si (We got the same car btw same color and everything, I just got the Manual).
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The power number to failure isn't cut and dried. It's not that simple. It's a combination of things from the tune used, fuel used, mods installed and how the car is maintained and driven.

If you read the first post in the thread, and look towards the bottom at the failures and some of my observations, you can get the basics.

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Touring CVT

Total tuned time: 2 months

Tuned miles driven: 1,000+

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro, Dyno

Tunes used: Custom tune

Fuel used: Shell 93 Octane (exclusively)

Additional related mods: PRL intercooler and piping, PRL big turbo downpipe, PRL front pipe, PRL Cobra CAI (PRL Big Turbo Upgrade, GTX2860R GEN2), upgraded radiator and CVT transmission oil cooler, Greddy Supreme exhaust.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: .City, cross country and occasional street race.

Tuning experience notes: Hondata did its job. My tuner is a pro race car tuner and has been working all hings hondata for a decade. No complaints. 285 whp and 270 ft lbs torque.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210819_124418

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210816_174816

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20181017_145308

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20181017_145405

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice setup. Appreciate you being a part of the thread. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's been a serious slowdown in new tuned cars added even though more and more people are tuning. It's cool that so many people are tuned and want to brag about their tuned cars and how much fun they are. Maybe it's time for those same people to add their car to this thread as well?

Current thread stats

Tuned cars submitted: 803

1.5T Non-Si: 369; Si: 354; CTR: 58; 2.0 NA: 22

Total tuned miles driven: 11,591,600 (reported)
Most tuned miles: choo (139,000)
Cars with over 25,000 tuned miles: 118

Cars with major drivetrain failures: 17 (2.2%)
Failures by model: Si 4; Non-Si 13*; 2.0 NA 0; CTR 0
Failures by tune type: Base 8; OTS 2; Custom 7
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.8%

Transmissions: CVT 277 (34%); Manual 526 (66%)
Base models: 70% CVT; 30% Manual
Upgraded clutches installed: 88 (16%)
CVT failure rate: 1.9% (5)

Hondata used for tuning: 173; Race (148) Carb (25)
KTuner used for tuning: 666; V1.2 (376) V2 (290)
Other devices used: JB4 3; RaceChip 4; Motec 4
Usage rate: KTuner 79%; Hondata 20%; Other 1%

Pro custom tuned cars: 160 (20%)
Base tuned only cars: 242 (30%)

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (331) (41%)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (164)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (44); Phearable 1.5R (34)

Most popular fuel used: 93 octane (419; 52%)
Users adding 1-1.5 gallons E85: 97 (12%)
Flex fuel kits installed: 88 (11%)

No bolt ons added: 244 (30%)
Bolt ons added (not FBO): 393 (49%)
Cars with full bolt ons: 166 (21%)
Overall bolt on usage: 70%

Cold air intakes installed: 303 (38%)
Short ram intakes installed: 93 (12%)
Upgraded intercoolers installed: 253 (31%)

Aftermarket downpipes installed: 244 (30%)
Aftermarket frontpipes installed: 171 (21%)

Upgraded turbo inlet pipes installed: 70 (8%)
Upgraded turbos installed: 64 (7%)

Last edited:

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I appreciate all the info posted here and on this site. It is what led to my build. I was lucky enough to find the right stuff and avoid the bad based on everyone's input. Saved me alot of headaches and money.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate all the info posted here and on this site. It is what led to my build. I was lucky enough to find the right stuff and avoid the bad based on everyone's input. Saved me alot of headaches and money.
Appreciate that. It still doesn't explain why most tuned owners that post about their tune elsewhere don't post in this thread. And having both tuning reliability info AND the overall tuning experiences of owners in one place is a great thing. Am I the only one that sees that?

Last edited:

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I imagine most here don't think big picture or long term. I am a cruiser/street racer from the early '70's. I have learned the lessons of straying too far outside the lines. You are constantly in the shop or fixing things. My builds over the last 20 years have stayed close to stock and have practicality built in. I called them doing what Honda should/could have done from the factory but wouldn't. My 2018 Civic Sport Touring ended up being a car with two reliability issues that I had not foreseen. A CVT and fuel oil dilution. So, I had to pay attention to all the reliability info I could find. Most people buying SI's out of the box don't have to worry about reliability or don't even think about it. Just how fast can I make this thing go? Ah, to be young again...

VVfromAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatch
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Ex Hatch

Total tuned time: 2 months

Tuned miles driven: 500

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: 91

Additional related mods: none

Problems/issues: Turbo failure

Driving style: Grandma. kept at map 1 for daily and only went to 2 or 3 for initial testing and an occasional pull here and there. never tried to smash pedal.

Tuning experience notes: read and read and read until comfortable going conservatively. was concerned with hot weather in az even while testing on some freeway pulls. was paranoid about cvt. turbo started to death whine later in the tune just in local traffic. got it replaced.

not sure to continue or just give up and enjoy stock.

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Problems/issues: Turbo failure
I hope that was replaced under warranty. No way it just "went out" from 500 miles on a mild tune. Had to be factory defective.

Also, not sure you're actually running a "Hondata Phearable 1.5" tune. o_O

VVfromAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatch
Country flag
I hope that was replaced under warranty. No way it just "went out" from 500 miles on a mild tune. Had to be factory defective.

Also, not sure you're actually running a "Hondata Phearable 1.5" tune. o_O
Updated whoops. Dont have a hondata. I did copy and paste and cleaned it up but missed that one.

Not sure something about seals blowing and oil started leaking. Not sure if thats a boost issue, rpm/oil pressure etc. Hopefully it was just a bad from factory turbo.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Updated whoops. Dont have a hondata. I did copy and paste and cleaned it up but missed that one.

Not sure something about seals blowing and oil started leaking. Not sure if thats a boost issue, rpm/oil pressure etc. Hopefully it was just a bad from factory turbo.
Based on your driving style, minimal miles driven, no bolt ons and mild tune, I have no doubt about it.

I know you were talking about Arizona heat and sure that can cause higher IATs. But keep this in mind. The non-Si turbo KTuner owned and used to intially design the KTuner tunes was torture tested for 1,000's of miles in AZ including 110° summer heat with zero issues.

Last edited:

Vauun

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: ~8mo

Tuned miles driven: 2,500+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1+

Fuel used: Racetrac 93 Octane (exclusively)

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI / PRL intercooler / MAPerformance Catback Street Exhaust

Problems/issues: None whatsoever

Driving style: I hang around in Map 2 for most of my driving and I put it into Map 3 / sport mode infrequently when I'm not afraid of a speeding ticket. Never goes WOT unless I'm above 4k RPM and I tend to keep the car around 2-2.5k with normal commuting. Other than that I just take my turns quickly enough to make most people uncomfortable.

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Type-R

Total tuned time: 1.5 hours. :)

Tuned miles driven: 24

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Race Flashpro

Tunes used: Hondata 93 basemap

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional related mods: no other powertrain mods

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Pretty much like gtman described in his example: Slightly speedy with aggressive sprints from time to time. Though my wife might disagree and say I'm a bit more aggressive than that. ;) Autocross once every other month or so.

Tuning experience notes: JUST had my car modded in the last 1.5 hours. Had it done at a tuner who's done a lot of Type-R's. I didn't want to have to buy the Jailbreaker hardware from Hondata since I'd only use it once, and he said he'd sell me the Flashpro, jailbreak my car, and load a basemap for me for the cost of Flashpro/jailbreaking + $45 (so less than the cost of the jailbreaker hardware). I drove it home on surface streets, so didn't have a lot of opportunity to test anything yet, but acceleration is definitely more pronounced, particularly in 3rd gear. Possibly 4th as well, but as I said I was on surface streets and I wasn't going to push the envelope. As I use the car more over the coming weeks I'll provide more updates. I had the car flashed at 9976 miles, so I'm hoping I'm past any potential new car issues at this point. As I pulled into the driveway I hit 10,000 exactly. I'm half tempted to re-flash it so that the flash counter is miles since 10k :)

In the future I'll get a few bolt-ons (the ones that offer the most bang for the buck) but for now I'll enjoy it as-is. Besides, now I have to start saving money again. :)

This is my daily driver, as well as the car my wife and I enjoy going for rides in. I'm an IT guy by trade, so what better way to mix the two things I enjoy doing - driving and tinkering with electronics?

No noteworthy pics since it's just a software flash, but here's something anyway:

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) ctr10
Sponsored

Last edited: