The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Update 4
Tuned miles driven: ~3450 tuned (11200 total)
Really appreciate the tuned mileage update. It may seem like a little thing but it adds to the stats accuracy.
Sponsored

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 2-3 months

Tuned miles driven: <2000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner (multi-stage) Stage 1

Fuel used: 93 (Usually Shell)

Additional related mods: K&N Air Filter

Problems/issues: Occasional gear grinds (most likely driver mod)

Driving style: Slightly speedy with occasional pulls and high speed turns from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: Originally had a '18 Civic Si tuned with TSP Stage 1. The tune for the Type R felt more substantial to me. Had nearly 35k miles tuned on the Si with rare clutch slip. No issues with the Type R thus far.
Update 1
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 1 year

Tuned miles driven: <15,000 miles (of 19,###)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner (multi-stage) Stage 1

Fuel used: 93 (Usually Shell or local Kroger)

Additional related mods: PRL HVI (<2,000 miles), Full Acuity Shifter and bushings (<9,000 miles), Perrin RMM Inserts (<500 miles). Michelin tires seem to soften the ride ever so slightly btw.

Problems/issues: No more real gear grinds. Additional vibration from RMM Inserts.

Driving style: Varied, from flat out red-lining every shift to little grandma on her way home. Depends on my mood. The Type R can take it :headbang:

Tuning experience notes: PRL HVI seems to add some responsiveness. RMM Inserts seem to help with shifting in addition to reducing wheel hop.

Last edited:

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
hey @gtman any tuning notes regarding engine stutter on startup? recently on cold starts i'll hear stuttering but it goes away after 5-10 seconds. i'll try to get an audio clip for you

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I previously had my 2020 FBO SI in this thread. Happy to start a new post with my new FK8. I just put a Hondata on it yesterday so posting here.

Vehicle:
2021 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 24 hours

Tuned miles driven: 50

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 2

Fuel used: 93

Additional related mods: Stock

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Aggressive

Tuning experience notes: CTR is a completely different ball game than the SI. I loaded a tune and got 50+ hp bone stock and my clutch is ok, unlike my old SI. Loving it so far.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
hey @gtman any tuning notes regarding engine stutter on startup? recently on cold starts i'll hear stuttering but it goes away after 5-10 seconds. i'll try to get an audio clip for you
When you say you "hear stuttering" on cold startups, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. You mean when you accelerate when cold or stuttering/rough at idle?

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: <1 day

Tuned miles driven: 10 (~12,700 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Grocery Store 93 Octane

Additional related mods: None at the moment.

Problems/issues: None. Though I did flash the tune twice because I was dumb and didn't let go of the Cancel button to change Maps the first time around.

Driving style: Conservative, as to not upset the wife with a blown engine. :) Enjoy highway on ramps and the occasional country road pull.

Tuning experience notes: Just recently purchased the Civic and on stock tune it was already quick coming from a 2005 Chevy Cavalier. Was mostly interested in the rev hang delete, but played with Map 3 for a brief minute and all I can say is, "holy sh**."

I am a little concerned with the history of failures from hatchbacks in this thread, so I might scale down what I wanted to do with this car, but at the least I plan on adding the 27won CAI and perhaps a downpipe/front pipe combo. Just looking for a bit more sound without swapping exhausts.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am a little concerned with the history of failures from hatchbacks in this thread, so I might scale down what I wanted to do with this car, but at the least I plan on adding the 27won CAI and perhaps a downpipe/front pipe combo. Just looking for a bit more sound without swapping exhausts.
Thanks for adding your car. Let's talk about the hatchback failure/weaker rods things....

Yes, the rods are slightly weaker and yes most blown 1.5T's in the thread are on the hatches. But look deeper and you'll see most were pushed with higher output tunes. The base tunes and particularly the OTS tunes (like your TSP 1) have proven reliable in normal driving (no abuse).

Last edited:
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Let's talk about the hatchback failure/weaker rods things. Yes, the rods are slightly weaker and yes most blown 1.5T's in the thread are on the hatches. But look deeper and you'll see most were pushed with high output tunes. I think any of the base tunes or OTS tunes (like your TSP 1) should prove reliable in normal driving (no abuse).
Yeah, I read through your thread (thanks for all your work!) and saw that most of the failures were after pushing too hard. Although the adrenaline rush from my map 3 pull was amazing, I don't plan on driving like that too often. It is my daily, and most of the time I'm content to just get from A-B.

I'm thinking map 2 in eco mode is probably the best for conservative daily driving.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I read through your thread (thanks for all your work!) and saw that most of the failures were after pushing too hard. Although the adrenaline rush from my map 3 pull was amazing, I don't plan on driving like that too often. It is my daily, and most of the time I'm content to just get from A-B.

I'm thinking map 2 in eco mode is probably the best for conservative daily driving.
The real safety controllers in any of the maps are your right foot and your will power. :cool:

Map 2 is a very good, super conservative daily commuter in regular mode. But, when you push that econ button, you'll basically have the factory tune with all the factory eco "features". One of those "features" reduces throttle response to the point it's kind of sluggish IMO.

Last edited:

Siluxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Thanks for adding your car. Let's talk about the hatchback failure/weaker rods things....

Yes, the rods are slightly weaker and yes most blown 1.5T's in the thread are on the hatches. But look deeper and you'll see most were pushed with higher output tunes. The base tunes and particularly the OTS tunes (like your TSP 1) have proven reliable in normal driving (no abuse).
I wanted to ask about this, but with the CVT transmission. Is there too much risk tuning a 1.5T hatchback CVT? I have heard they can't take as much abuse as the manuals. Sorry if it's a dumb/common question, I'm a noob but this thread is helping a lot.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not a dumb question at all. Actually a smart one.

It's not the extra horsepower so much as the lower rpm torque.

One of the great things about buying a KTuner from Phearable or TSP is getting their tunes free. Those two tunes are designed to have a bit less torque (compared to the manual versions) below 4,000 rpm or so to protect the CVT.

And as long as you're not brake launching, the CVT should do well. I have a tuned turbo CVT model and love it. Been tuned for over 3 and a half years.

Last edited:

Siluxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Not a dumb question at all. Actually a smart one.

It's not the extra horsepower so much as the lower rpm torque.

One of the great things about buying a KTuner from Phearable or TSP is getting their tunes free. Those two tunes are designed to have a bit less torque (compared to the manual versions) below 4,000 rpm or so to protect the CVT.

And as long as you're not brake launching, the CVT should do well. I have a tuned turbo CVT model and love it. Been tuned for over 3 and a half years.
Okay great, that's good to hear. I've been wanting to tune mine for awhile but have been worried about the reliability of the CVT.

Are there similar tunes that protect the CVT with Hondata? I was planning on getting that, but if there are better options I am open to them.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do me a favor. Look at the stats in the first post here. Look at how many people use KTuner versus Hondata. There's a reason for that.

Hondata has been around forever. It's a good product. I've owned one. KTuner is better.

As far as base tunes go, the base Starter KTuner tunes are good. And the Hondata +6 is decent as well. In all honesty, all the base and OTS tunes are pretty safe for the CVT.

Last edited:

no1uknw

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Okay great, that's good to hear. I've been wanting to tune mine for awhile but have been worried about the reliability of the CVT.

Are there similar tunes that protect the CVT with Hondata? I was planning on getting that, but if there are better options I am open to them.

Thanks for the help!
After reading what phearable has done to protect the cvt while making it well worth the price of admission I pulled the trigger. You’ll find quite a few tuned cvt owners here with a lot of good information. It seems to be as long as you aren’t beating the crap out of your car, keep up with the maintenance and don’t go crazy as far as flex fuel and bigger turbos, you’ll have great success.
Sponsored