The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

17civivsi805

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 si

Total tuned time: around 1 year

Total tuned mileage: Ktuner basemap 3000, tsp stage 1 5000, currently tsp stage 2 1000

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner v1.2

Tunes used
: 23psi basemap aggressive settings, tsp stage 1, tsp stage 2

Fuel used: 91 shell, 91 shell and shell e85 mixed e37

Additional engine mods: Prl cobra street, plm intercooler, type r retro clutch

Problems/issues: tune wise none, other engine valve cover leak at 4k, gas cap actuator 8k, body control module and battery 27k

Driving style: daily driver with normal street driving with aggressive pulls hear and there

Tuning experience notes: never tuned before but really simple with ktuner and car is much more fun to drive
Update
Car at 40k now still on tsp stage 2
No other issues have popped up
Tuned mileage around 25k now
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. The reason I'm always asking everybody in the thread to update is simple. These updates are what helps show whether tuning is reliable or not, long term. That's the biggest aspect of this thread. Plus the updates can help others see how people's tune builds change over time. All of this helps the community.

Even if people only update twice or even once a year, that would be great. You'd be surprised how many posters in the thread are one and done. Don't get me wrong, that's still helpful but these updates are the key. Especially the tuned miles driven updates.

Last edited:

aethecarfanatic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Mitch,

Can finally actually join the survey, wanted to wait a few weeks to get the tuned miles up a bit, but I wanted to ensure I posted as the lack of Si's has been bothering you.

Vehicle: 2019 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 2 weeks

Tuned miles driven: 400

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: 93 octance - usually Kroger gas

Additional related mods: nothing performance wise - a few suspension mods

Problems/issues: None thus far

Driving style: My fiance might consider it aggressive, but compared to some I'd call it conservative. ~70% highway

Tuning experience notes: Absolutely obsessed with this Phearable tune thus far, provides such good power delivery and greatly improved driving dynamics (throttle sensitivity, no rev hang) which was the main reason why I finally decided to go tuned. I was getting very tired of the rev hang and the dead spot in the throttle when first initially pressing and this tune has fixed all of that for me and gives amazing power up top whereas stock just died off around 6,000 rpms. I will provide some more notes as the miles pile on, but wanted to get in here to provide a data point.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring

Total tuned time: 3.5 years on Ktuner (1 year on my intial custom tune where I made 292whp and almost a year on my another custom tune again from Derek Robinson @ IMW Motorworks where I currently make 302whp)

Total tuned mileage: 55,000+ miles (20,000 miles+ on custom tune and roughly 30k on ktuner basemaps)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual 21 PSI, Custom Tune (x2) (93 pump and E85)

Fuel used: Shell 93, Exxon 93 (Flex Fuel E85 from Shell)

Additional engine mods: Full Bolt Ons, 27WON W1 Turbo, TIP

Problems/issues:

No issues on the custom tune. Only limitations is really the fuel system. Extended WOT (15+seconds will lead to some misfires depending on my e85 content).

Driving style: Semi-aggressive.

Other: At this point the car is close to the limits of what it can be done power wise without doing an engine build and some more extensive work. The transmission is still reliable *knock of wood*. Not as many miles being put on the car due to pandemic. Still keeping up on maintenance even though not as many miles. Currently gearing up for a mid to late fall 1/4 mile day. Try to see if I can best my previous 13.3 time and maybe hit low 13s since I did get my new AS4s on.

bennylopez_32

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White Si Coupe
Country flag
New Update!

Vehicle:
2020 Si Coupe

Total tuned time:
1 year

Total tuned mileage:
15000ish Miles

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata Race version, then recently switched to ktuner v2. Loved the switch btw

Tunes used:
Hondata +6 basemap for 4 months, then Tsp stage 1 the rest of the time

Fuel used:
Costco 91, then shell 91, now chevron 91 with about .75gallons of e85 to try to mix about an e15 blend to keep knock control solid at 54-56 (equivalent to ktuner .49). No flex fuel kit installed yet

Additional engine mods:
PRL Cobra Race Maf
PRL Intercooler
Hasport 62a RMM
(Soon to come PRL Dp/Fp+flex fuel kit)
Stock clutch still with no slip

Problems/issues: None

Driving style:
Typically cruising to work and back. Smooth shifting. A couple pulls each time.
Every couple drives full send 3-4th gear for fun.
Several canyon drives, full sending corners and straights lol.
1 time drag strip when stock (only basemap tune), full sent launch and everything. About 6 runs (my times sucked lol like mid 15seconds)
Some races (in mexico ?)
So I take care of the car (I believe so) but also have fun with it smart. Doing pulls only over 2.5k or 3K rpms and sometimes rolling into it rather than slamming on it. Avoiding high boost in 5-6th gear

Tuning experience notes:
I was not enjoying how jerky tsp stage 1 felt on hondata. I saw ktuner released an update for throttle padding and throttle sensitivity. This was something ive been wanting to do so I managed to switch over to ktuner and love the feel of the car now. It is much better and im still using tsp stage 1. I have a prl catted dp/fp on the way, picking up a type r retrofit exhaust, and installing a prl flex fuel kit inna couple days so I purchased the phearable stage 2.5 tune and im excited to give this a go! I will have a lot to update as time passes I just wanted to post this last update on my current set up. Hondata worked great but I enjoy ktuner more. And tsp stage 1 aside from jerkyness (fixed by ktuner) had worked great for me with no clutch slip yet or issues. Im hoping to have a decent life on my clutch but if it comes down to it I will be getting the type r clutch and eventually in a year or longer a big turbo. We will see.

Located in CA

FC21F543-4E8E-48B8-BBFE-1A57064E52AE.jpeg
Update
Instagram: Type_Si_

Vehicle:
2020 Si Coupe

Total tuned time:
1 year 7 months

Total tuned mileage:
25000 Miles

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata Race version, then recently switched to ktuner v2. Loved the switch btw

Tunes used:
Hondata +6 basemap for 4 months, then Tsp stage 1
Now Phearable Stage 2.5 tune

Fuel used:
Costco 91, then shell 91, now chevron 91 with about .75gallons of e85 to try to mix about an e15 blend to keep knock control solid at 54-56 (equivalent to ktuner .49).
Now Chevron e85 and 91 blend to around 35-40%

Additional engine mods:
PRL Cobra Race Maf
PRL Intercooler
PRL Catted Downpipe/Frontpipe
Type R Exhaust with 1/2 resonator delete
PRL Flex Fuel Kit
Hasport 62a RMM
Stock clutch
Lowering springs, strut bar as well

Problems/issues:
I believe there is a slight clutch slip in 4th around 3300 rpm is where I feel it slips under heavy acceleration so I tend to not floor it unless im in 3rd or higher rpm range in 4th

I have a weird exhaust pop that sounds like it comes from the downpipe or frontpipe area. Ive tried checking for leaks but havnt found anything. Typical exhaust pops come from the exhaust tips but I feel like I hear the muffled pop under the car near the front. It might be because my downpipe is catted so im not sure if that is where the pop is coming from? Its only 1 single pop and it happens sometimes when I let off the gas in lower-mid range rpm (I didnt tune the car to make any pop sounds it just started happening after I installed the dp/fp and type r exhaust). So far its been a minor issue that I havnt paid much attention to

Driving style:
Pretty conservative driving, I dont bang gears every day
Mostly just driving to work and back.
Occasional hard pulls 3rd-4th for fun
Few brake boost races
Car is pretty babied imo however when in the canyon I full send it

Tuning experience notes:
So far enjoying Phearable 2.5 tune, no issues from what I can remember. Im pretty much done with the car at this point, its just my fun daily commuter car. I do worry that my head gasket is going to fail eventually and I dont want to upgrade the head studs so I drive fairly conservative. Eventually going to have to get a clutch but im hoping the stock one lasts a while. Maybe one day a big turbo but most likely not. Stock tires suck, no grip in 1-2nd gears lol

Located in CA

FC21F543-4E8E-48B8-BBFE-1A57064E52AE.jpeg

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fantastic, helpful updates, guys. :bow:

Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Current Milage: 17,500

Total tuned time: 8k - 15k (Flashed factory for daily driver mode. Flashing back my TSP stage 1 before the track soon)

Total tuned mileage: 7k ^

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1. Map 2 I’d say 98% of the time (saving my stock clutch) *Boost by gear set to 19 PSI before 4K rpm*

Fuel used:
Shell 91 right now. On Stage one, I would run a gallon of e85 per fillup of 91.

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI

Problems/issues: Nope.

Driving style: Save gas eat a** by day, mountain pass assassin by night. One track day under my belt next one coming up July 11th. Drove the car really hard first 15k miles once the break in period ended. Flashed the stock tune at 15k for self disciplinary reasons. I know these engines are more fragile than not but also reliable if handled properly. Buying a new engine would suck no matter how much money we think we have. I used to really beat on cars so it’s better for me to stay away from the crazy horsepower. I still keep my KTuner mounted to watch everything like a hawk.

Other : Great car! Now that I’ve done a few suspension/shifter mods + a wheel setup the thing rips (stainless lines/RBF600 fluid/pads soon) Stoked to hit the track July 11th at streets of willow.

ADVICE: If you are tuned and want a reliable daily/track car and don’t care for drag racing... set boost by gear to 19 psi until 4K RPM. That’s the money shot for saving your clutch. Peak boost won’t hit until after 4K.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Current thread stats and info

Tuned cars submitted: 676

Total tuned miles driven: 9,482,900 (reported)
Most tuned miles: choo (an amazing 139,000);
dallasjhawk (97,000+), vctsonicgrey (70,000+)

Cars with major failures: 15 (2.3%)
Failures by tune type: Base: 7; OTS: 2; Custom: 6
Failures by model: Si: 3; Non-Si: 12; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0
Highest failure rate: Non-Si 1.5T (3.9%)
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.7%

Transmission type: CVT (230); Manual (446)
Base models: 69% CVT; 31% Manual
Aftermarket clutches installed: 68 (16%)

Hondata used for tuning: 140; Race (119) Carb (21)
KTuner used for tuning: 567; V1.2 (317) V2 (250)
Other devices used: JB4: 3, RaceChip: 4, Motec: 3

Pro custom tuned cars: 122 (19%)
Base tuned only cars: 203 (30%)

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (288)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (127)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (25); Phearable 1.5R (10)

Cars by model: 1.5T Non-Si (313; 46.5%); Si (298; 43.5%); Type R (46; 7%); 2.0 NA (19; 3%)

Most popular fuel used: 93 octane (354; 52%)
Users adding 1-1.5 gallons E85: 84 (13%)
Flex fuel kits installed: 73 (10.5%)

At least one bolt-on added: 328 (48%)
No bolt-ons added: 210 (31%)
Cars with full bolt-ons: 138 (21%)

Cold air intakes installed: 234 (34%)
Short ram intakes installed: 76 (12%)
Upgraded intercoolers installed: 204 (30%)

Aftermarket downpipes installed: 203 (29%)
Aftermarket frontpipes installed: 146 (21%)

Upgraded turbo inlet pipes installed: 56 (8%)
Upgraded turbos installed: 47 (7%)

FC2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Honda Civic EX (2.0L)

Total tuned mileage: 16,000 miles (approximately)

Current mileage: 84,448 miles

Tune used: KTuner Basemap #1(Adjusted Throttle Response)

Additional engine mods: K&N air filter, Rv6 Catted Downpipe, Custom 2.25in exhaust.

Problems/Issues: None so far.

Fuel Used: 91 Octane (Top Tier Detergent Oils)

Driving style: Very aggressive at the local mountain passes and little to no spirited driving when down in the city(Not a fan of roll racing or digs)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FC2...
I see you skipped the tuning device question. Is your KTuner V2 or V1.2? Let us know. Thanks.

Last edited:

lhobbs

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si coupe

Current mileage: 10k

Total tuned time: 1 month

Tuned miles driven: <200

Tunes used: only TSP Stage 1+ (mostly Map 2)

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional related mods: None

Driving style: Extra conservative since the tune

Tuning experience notes: My car battery died right as the tune finished flashing, but all good otherwise

Tune notes: I don't think I drive the car often (or hard) enough to get a good A/B comparison of stock vs. the tune... but I enjoy the real-time monitoring and no rev-hang. I'm somewhat disappointed with the throttle padding still. It feels like there is a tiny deadzone at the top of the pedal. Might be fixable though -- I've yet to try other padding options.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback

Total tuned time: 8 months

Tuned miles driven: approx. 18,000

Tuning device(s) used:
ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21 w/aggressive quick adjustments; D-Rob customized TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: (VP Racing Non-Ethanol 92 not anymore), Fred Meyers 92, chevron 92 also (Non-Ethanol 92 not anymore), prefer shells 92 Nitro+

Additional related mods: PRL CAI Race MAF, custom exhaust 2.25" with no muffler and 3" tips

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. 70% I will use paddles.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first car, I've always wanted a manual but when you want a car this bad you just have to have it. I will say the ktuner and prl Cai w/ race MAF. !!!!ESPECIALLY THE INTAKE!!!! Ever since I upgraded the intake the "shifts" are legitimately much quicker to response. And I say this because before I was tuned I loved using the paddles, but I hated it because they felt nothing like a manual when I drove one but once I slapped the intake and the tune that was provided I can tell for sure there has been a change ever since then, so I definitely recommend both.

At the end of your post, attach pics, timeslips, videos, dyno results, etc...

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 123_1(3)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 123_1(2)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 123_1

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 123_1(1)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210224_082913

Attachments

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback

Total tuned time: 8 months

Tuned miles driven: approx. 18,000

Tuning device(s) used:
ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21 w/aggressive quick adjustments; D-Rob customized TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: (VP Racing Non-Ethanol 92 not anymore), Fred Meyers 92, chevron 92 also (Non-Ethanol 92 not anymore), prefer shells 92 Nitro+

Additional related mods: PRL CAI Race MAF, custom exhaust 2.25" with no muffler and 3" tips

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. 70% I will use paddles.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first car, I've always wanted a manual but when you want a car this bad you just have to have it. I will say the ktuner and prl Cai w/ race MAF. !!!!ESPECIALLY THE INTAKE!!!! Ever since I upgraded the intake the "shifts" are legitimately much quicker to response. And I say this because before I was tuned I loved using the paddles, but I hated it because they felt nothing like a manual when I drove one but once I slapped the intake and the tune that was provided I can tell for sure there has been a change ever since then, so I definitely recommend both.

At the end of your post, attach pics, timeslips, videos, dyno results, etc...

123_1(3).jpg

123_1(2).jpg

123_1.jpg

123_1(1).jpg

20210224_082913.jpg
One issue I have is I can't seem to connect my phone to my ktuner if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them, I ask for a password and from what I know I've tried all of them so I technically don't monitor anything therfore I still am driving kind of conservatively.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One issue I have is I can't seem to connect my phone to my ktuner if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them, I ask for a password and from what I know I've tried all of them so I technically don't monitor anything therfore I still am driving kind of conservatively.
Also current millage of car is 39,000
Sponsored