The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Stefou

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T hatchback fk7
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Plus m/t (European model)

Total tuned time: 1 year

Tuned kilometers driven: 20.000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner 21psi basemap, tsp stg1 tune

Fuel used: 98e5

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra Street CAI

Problems/issues: not really

Driving style: normal and spirited everyday

Tuning experience notes: I like the tsp tune, it has better top end power than ktuner basemap (230hp@5900rpm ; 334Nm@3200rpm).
But I regret one thing about it : quick ajustements are not accessible. I would like to have soft throttle padding with no rev hang and the possibility to change turbo and throttle responsivenesses too...
When I drive very slow in first gear (beyond 1500rpm), the car accelerates itself with jerky throttle response...

Sorry for mistakes in english
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Plus m/t (European model)

Total tuned time: 1 year

Tuned kilometers driven: 20.000

Tunes used: Ktuner 21psi basemap, tsp stg1 tune

Fuel used: 98e5

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra Street CAI

Problems/issues: not really

Driving style: normal and spirited everyday

Tuning experience notes: I like the tsp tune, it has better top end power than ktuner basemap (230hp@5900rpm ; 334Nm@3200rpm).
But I regret one thing about it : quick ajustements are not accessible. I would like to have soft throttle padding with no rev hang and the possibility to change turbo and throttle responsivenesses too...
When I drive very slow in first gear (beyond 1500rpm), the car accelerates itself with jerky throttle response...

Sorry for mistakes in english
Hey, thanks for adding your car to the thread. And your English seems perfect. :thumbsup:

Also, we should be able to adjust throttle settings in the locked tunes soon. I agree with you that turbo responsiveness would be great as well but KTuner says that won't be happening, sadly.

Last edited:

xTWISTEDWAYZx

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Touring 4 dr sedan 1.5t

Total tuned time: 3 months

Tuned miles driven: 6000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: TSP stage- one tune

Fuel used: since tuned 91, the car has been on 87 prior. Chevron or Shell gas.

Additional engine mods: 27won intake,

(Incoming : down pipe front pipe combo - catted. Should be installed within the week. )

Problems/issues: ( correction made here : so this problem may very well have been because of the turbos bypass valves wires being broke. It finally got worse and after I fixed them I have yet to have any problems. It’s very hard for me to believe that could of caused the world of pain I’ve been through these past few months... ugh however, it’s definitely not anything to do with this tune.)

drove into my driveway about two weeks after the installation of the ktuner and the entire dashboard lite up with all the lights you would see during flashing. A restart fixed it, and this was after heavy use. The car required a driving period to work through the lane watch system, driving assist, and braking mitigation system after, and that made me think it reset itself for some reason. It even caused my color scheme on the display to revert to default lol. ??

That’s the only issue so far other than the dam A/C. I’m at 165k miles on this car, and I’ve done all the maintenance on it. Really, this car has held up to me and I’m harder on it than most. It’s constantly on the road because of my job as well.

It’s been a good car this far. I started using the car a lot when I decided to try driving on the Lyft and Uber platforms. I know, and I did know it was going to have an impact on the car, and that it probably wasn’t going to be worth it. However I’ve been going back to school, and I take care of my 19 month old daughter which I just love doing. Plus no daycare cost and since her mom works til like 2:30am or so I’m often headed out around that time. So as far as a job goes, I had to find something for the moment that could fit my crazy schedule, I didn’t want to do it but after about two weeks I found I was liking it. We do what we gotta and being my own boss leaves me only answering to myself , I like that.

I’m paying for it today however, I still figured as things go out on the car I’ll simply upgrade them if the part has that option. The tune has done wonders for it as crazy as that sounds. The car just feels better and sounds better too.
Driving style: I’ve got a lead foot. I love the feeling the tune has added,!so this has created more reasons for me to have a heavier foot, believe you me. I do take it easy in terms of how often I’m pushing, and I’m not launching it, I do tend to slowly ease into it, unless I’m already 55/65 then I wot .

Tuning experience notes: none. I had some experience in modding tablets and overclocking pc’s. So I was comfortable with the terminology and the process of flashing . The understanding part was no different. So I felt comfortable doing the flashing, was nervous though. I need the car for work still, and currently I’m dealing with a misfire cylinder 1 p0301 and p0088. Been to Honda and another mech several times only to find the issue is still there.

Extra:

The car is still néw feeling and I enjoy it. The tuner in hindsight would of been the greatest increase from a mod that’s not all that expensive for what you get. Plus, it’s kinda the gateway to furthering the power gains if you are aiming for that. I have the intake and once I get to the down pipe and front pipe I’d be satisfied with it outside of smaller things like cosmetics. After the tuner And the air and exhaust flow, the inner cooler would be next and new hoses for it. Even at stock I was feeling the heat soak effects, I’d of liked to addressed that prior to the tuner but I’ll get there.

Would I do this again if I got a new civic... hell yeah. I won’t hesitate on that at all. It’s well worth it even just to remove the lag Honda leaves in place to sell the car here and also help in terms longevity and the reliability of it. The dmg one can do to the car with this tuner is done by not using their head or just simply pushing it knowingly to its limits. If you know not to mess with the settings you don’t understand , and you drive the car normal, the tune won’t even be a factor. You start to drive it like me and we’ll ..doesn’t matter tuned or not the wear and tear will be a factor. Common sense will tell you that much lol. I think those who need to worry or be concerned with hurting their car are those who plan on pushing it to its limits and a lot. In that case I’m certain they already know the path they are on.

What I’d like to do : well with the ktuner I’ve got all the power I need for now. Since my cat is probably about done from running rich throughout this misfire issue, the next mod is the front pipe and down pipe catted for this car. That would be it out side of cosmetics.

( I hate the grill and wish there was a better market of them today, I’m thinking the hatchback front and rear end would help.., at least the front end)

In summary:

This car when all said and done, I’d like to have good rims and new tires put on, blackout the chrome I hate chrome, and prob new struts to accompany the springs already on it. Those dam d2 springs are low low low lol.. almost to much . Sure corners great tho ... again I’m not racing it and it’s kinda hard to be cool when your driving Lyft and Uber.., so I don’t try to. The car gets great responses from passengers and often they can’t believe it’s a civic. That’s added to the attachment of the car for me and it reminds me of just how nice of a car it is . At times I get comfortable and forget that its not just a pile of plastic even though it is lol ...
Included a picture or two of it currently . I put the stickers on just for the picture here. I love both of the companies and they have been a pleasure to do business with. I’m not one to put stickers ( decals) on my ride though. These two are worth it however, even if it’s just for the photo. Not leaving prl out I just have yet to purchase a part yet.

The one picture is from the hight of the first surge out here in Cali, this was after a long night of work and driving home in the country ...that’s during the times you might catch a white blurry object barreling down an empty back road... kickin’ up dust!

TLDR: get it - the tune is amazing and use your head and the car will be just fine :)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 43AC3274-2971-4C48-AAD4-5AE53B771234

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1605981050134

Early morning this last summer. Ca COVID first wave .

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great writeup with all the additional notes. :thumbsup:

Thanks for adding your car.

Lunarsilver17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Civic Si 2017 - Ktuner V2 - Vittune stage 1 5K mi, TSP stage 1 about 10K mi. almost 3 years tuned.
Drove easy with occational onramp and backroad fun. Mix of interstate and city.
Just unflashed when took to dealer, never noticed. Ran Tsp Hot tune in slot 1, so constantly on hot tune during daily driving. Worked great, especially cruise control / revhang on off switch when cruise needed.

No problems.

badgertooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2018 Hatchback LX 6MT
Country flag
Long time lurker here, just joined to add to this thread.

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6 MT

Total tuned time: 26 months

Tuned miles driven: 33,000, tuned when it had less than 2000 miles on it

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner stage 2 with rev hang defeat

Fuel used: Shell or Chevron 91 (best we got in my area in California) I really wish we had access to 93 because knock control really impacts the power this car makes. When I can stay close to 0.49, it sends pretty hard.

Additional engine mods: AEM 21-798C CAI for about 32,000 miles. The sounds it makes are very entertaining, although I question how much of a power gain, if any, there actually is.

Problems/issues: Currently none with a small caveat:
This is my first manual, so I learned on it and for the first ~20k miles I abused it quite a bit. There were times on canyon roads I could feel the transmission heating up the side of my right leg from going WOT too much. During this period, the clutch would slip at 3500-4000 RPM in 3rd and 4th gear. However, For the last ~13k miles, I have driven much more conservatively, only opening it up occasionally and I have no clutch slippage in any gear, any RPM WOT. This experience has been quite different from some who experienced clutch burnout after just a few thousand miles. My mechanic serviced someone whose clutch fried in 20k. Mine is holding just fine even after the constant abuse and learning on it, so I'm inclined to think that it is user error in these cases and that the clutch is actually pretty stout. I'm not really qualified to make a statement on that, though.

Driving style: Vast majority of the time I'm concerned about MPG and drive conservatively. When I'm not, I will occasionally do some 2nd, 3rd gear pulls to merge. Very occasionally I launch at lights. 215 mm tire width on the LX is unfortunately very limiting here, even with Yokohama Advan Fleva tires. I know it's not a super high performance tire, but it's the best my tire shop could do with the stock LX wheels.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first manual and my first time tuning or even modifying any car. I am very happy with the performance gain just from a tune, it really livens the car up and so far I have had no issues at all. I had the pleasure once of racing someone in his Civic Hatchback Sport. He had a Hondata tuner and no other mods. I don't have a whole lot of grip in 1st or 2nd, so he had me off the line, I think also because of his wider wheels and tires,. However, I easily overtook him in 3rd. Maybe it was differences in our tunes, maybe it was that he had more unsprung weight due to the wheels, who knows. I've heard Hondata is a more conservative tune, but I am not speaking from first hand experience.

I hope this information was useful for someone, thank you.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Great addition that will be a big help to a lot of people.

Technical_Jno

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Coupe Si
Country flag
Vehicle:
2020 Si Coupe

Total tuned time:
10-11 months

Total tuned mileage:
13,000ish Miles

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata Race version

Tunes used:
Hondata +6 basemap for 4 months, then Tsp stage 1 the rest of the time

Fuel used:
Costco 91, then shell 91, now chevron 91 with about .75gallons of e85 to try to mix about an e15 blend to keep knock control solid at 54-56 (equivalent to ktuner .49). No flex fuel kit installed yet

Additional engine mods:
PRL Cobra Race Maf
PRL Intercooler
Hasport 62a RMM
(Soon to come PRL Dp/Fp+flex fuel kit)
Stock clutch still with no slip

Problems/issues: None

Driving style:
Typically cruising to work and back. Smooth shifting. A couple pulls each time.
Every couple drives full send 3-4th gear.
Several canyon drives, full sending corners and straights lol.
1 time drag strip when stock (only basemap tune), full sent launch and everything. About 6 runs (my times sucked lol like mid 15seconds)
Some races (in mexico ?)
So I take care of the car (I believe so) but also have fun with it smart. Doing pulls only over 2.5k or 3K rpms and sometimes rolling into it rather than slamming on it. Avoiding high boost in 5-6th gear

Tuning experience notes:
No personal experience. Will most likely get an e-tune from D.Rob when I get my flex fuel kit

Located in CA

B1ED177D-B575-4B6B-8DC7-9692D673F398.jpeg

079AAFC8-8BB2-4737-9D89-201EC39E463D.jpeg

11F7F96D-A223-4A68-9F67-343D68B85854.jpeg
Nice ride bro! Is that the Aeroflot Dynamics body kit?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're tuned, please add your car to this thread. If your car is already posted here, add updates (in a new post) from time to time. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. You're helping the community.

Current thread stats:

Total tuned vehicles: 428
Total tuned miles driven: 6,123,050 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: choo (101,000)

Cars with major failures: 12 (2.9%)
Failures by model: Si: 4; non-Si: 8; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.1%

Transmission type: CVT (131); Manual (297)

Hondata used as tuning device: 98
KTuner used as tuning device: 346

JB4 used as tuning device: 3
RaceChip used as tuning device: 2
Motec used as tuning device: 2
Bluespark Pro Petrol used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 77
Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (189)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (47)

Submissions by model: Si (195); 1.5T Non-Si (187); Type R (32); 2.0 NA (14)

Most used fuel: 93 octane (234) (55%)

Last edited:

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: 1 year total, 1 month on this tune specifically

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: +6 psi Hondata base map, TSP Stage 1 and currently on Powermetrics Stage 2

Fuel used: 91 octane and e85 mix @ 40% e

Additional engine mods: Hondata Flashpro, Mishimoto FMIC with charge pipes, MAperformance DP/FP and cat back exhaust, PRL race maf Cobra, Sirimoto flex fuel kit, ClutchMasters FX400 with LWFW and SS clutch line, 27won RMM

Problems/issues:
hope I don't jinx myself here, but the only issue I've ever had was with the AC. A common problem, which was taken care of prior to 36K miles. It was covered by Honda in full. Otherwise this car has been great to me, no issues ever.

Driving style: I like to drive my car hard when I have the chance. If in low to no traffic I will be doing pulls, and I'm always looking for another car to run with. But I also just cruise or take it easy in heavier traffic. Not always a maniac.

Tuning experience notes: Hondata base map was a huge difference from stock but I knew it should be a temporary tune. TSP Stage 1, I ran for about 8 months. I love this tune. It had the torque and power was there, the throttle was improved, spool was improved, but after a while I just wanted more. I eventually got the Sirimoto flex fuel kit and went with Powermetrics Stage 2 because I will be getting a turbo upgrade and custom tune soon and didn't want to buy a custom tune twice withing a 90 day period. Stage 2 obviously has more power, it pulls harder and the torque curve seems different. No complaints, but I'm definitely looking forward to a custom tune. Will update when that happens!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey turtle, thanks for the update. On your original post you had 3,000 tuned miles. Any idea of your current number so I can update the stats?

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si 1.5L 6MT

Total tuned time: 2 weeks (6 months as of May 14, 2021)

Total tuned mileage: 100 miles (3500 miles as of May 14, 2021)

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Any 91 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL Silicon Intake hose, AEM Dry Flow air filter

Problems/issues: Not sure if I got a bad tank of gas or filled it up with 89 by mistake:eek: but my my knock control spiked into the .70's and my LTFT was pretty high. I added a bottle of Royal Purple octane boost, seemed to help. The outside temps were only in the high 80's, I'm hoping that I won't have any issues during the Las Vegas hellscape summer.

Driving style: Toned down after the first month, only really gun it on highway on-ramps.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning, have only tried the Phearable tune, also have the TSP and plan to try that soon. The drivability is much improved, and the performance is impressive. I don't really plan on using Map 3, as Map 1 and Map 2 are sufficient for me.

Last edited:

Ji671

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Here you go @gtman :)

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport

Total tuned time: 3 Months

Total tuned mileage: 1800 miles

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 and Aggressively Tuned 21 (Current)

Fuel used: Whatever 92 Octane the Naval Base carries..lol

Additional engine mods: BMS upgraded intake tube and K&N drop in filter

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Boring with a mix touge style here and there

Tuning experience notes: Used the TSP stage 1 for a bit, but like many of you have experience it lacks downlow compared to an aggressive basemap. I only ran the TSP for about a month and some change until I reverted back to the basemap. I'm really debating about the Pherable tune at the moment as I'm going to be doing some minor engine upgrades in the near future.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go @gtman :)

Tuning experience notes: Used the TSP stage 1 for a bit, but like many of you have experience it lacks downlow compared to an aggressive basemap. I only ran the TSP for about a month and some change until I reverted back to the basemap . I'm really debating about the Pherable tune at the moment as I'm going to be doing some minor engine upgrades in the near future.
Keep in mind, many who are using Phearable mention the "smoother" low end. Meaning that John Vega dialed back some stuff to protect the CVT down low (similar to TSP). I suspect if you like the jumpy feel of aggressive throttle tweaks and spool, the KTuner 21 is your best bet.

Thanks for adding your car.
Sponsored