The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE:

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Sport Hatchback, 6MT

Total tuned time: 19 months

Total tuned mileage: 30,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata FlashPro; KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata +6 psi, KTuner 21 psi

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: SOON™

Problems/issues: None for now.

Driving style: Average, with track and autocross time.

Tuning experience notes: KTuner V2 is SO MUCH better than Hondata at this time. Without knock control rise, the Ktuner delivers a smooth and predicatable powerband, unlike Hondata. Honestly, with a built engine I wouldn't even consider a Hondata device for an L15B engine. Ktuner has every feature of Hondata and more, and thats considering I started on Hondata with my Turbo K24Z7 and this car as well.

UPDATE 2:

Vehicle
: 2020 Civic Sport Hatchback (Si), 6MT

Total tuned time: 22 months

Total tuned mileage: 35,000+ miles, 1200 on built motor.

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata FlashPro; KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata +6 psi, KTuner 21 psi, Phearable custom E-tune

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: SOON™ SURPRISE! Fully Built L15B7 Block and Si Transmission. BC valve springs, JE 10.3:1 Pistons, Saenz S-Series Rods, DIY Hayabusa ARP Studs with ETD150 spacers (MAP knockoff), Boundary oil gear, Si intake camshaft, non-Si HPFP & injectors, Competition Clutch Stage 1 22 lb.

Problems/issues: Forged Internals are loud as sin.

Driving style: Spirited. Now that I have a reliable 24psi tune, I feel comfortable doing pulls.

Tuning experience notes: KTuner V2 is still king. Honda did everyone mega-dirty on the 10th gen. The Phearable tune is a riot, especially with Si transmission LSD. It's like a hatchback "cheat-code", pulling out of corners so effectively. 24 psi at ANY rpm has authority, and the stock non-Si turbo spools to 24 in less than a second in 3rd gear at 2900-3100 RPM starting. Fast spool, slow car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Additional engine mods: SOON™ SURPRISE! Fully Built L15B7 Block and Si Transmission. BC valve springs, JE 10.3:1 Pistons, Saenz S-Series Rods, DIY Hayabusa ARP Studs with ETD150 spacers (MAP knockoff), Boundary oil gear, Si intake camshaft, non-Si HPFP & injectors, Competition Clutch Stage 1 22 lb.
Wow. Now that's what I call an update. More like a "I got a new car". :thumbsup: I hate to ask, but, how much did all that cost?

I only have the Phearable 1.5R tune but John's OTS stuff is really good. That custom tune of his has to be amazing.

Last edited:

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow. Now that's what I call an update. More like a "I got a new car". :thumbsup: I hate to ask, but, how much did all that cost?

I only have the Phearable 1.5R tune but John's OTS stuff is really good. That custom tune of his has to be amazing.
I built it myself for a college project, but the donor motor, trans, 0 mile short block, and parts probably ended up costing close to $5500. The donor motor was because the cylinder heads are impossible to buy by themselves, and the donor motor also had brackets and the side covers I would have never thought to buy.

Now, with COVID shortages, priceless.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So basically you have a tuned 10th gen Si hatch. Unreal. :bow:

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I installed my catless downpipe yesterday and wow does the turbo spool up SO much faster! The clutch also slips a bit more now so this is probably going to it for the power mods until I get a clutch upgrade. With my PRL race cobra intake, RV6 catless downpipe, and tsp stage 1 tune I expect roughly 260 whp and 300 wtq, would that be a fair estimate?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds a bit optimistic with just an intake and downpipe on the TSP 1 tune. Why not upgrade to the TSP 1+ or Phearable 1.5R tune?

For example, the Phearable 1.5R was dyno'd at 249/302 on an otherwise completely stock Si.

Last edited:

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That sounds a bit optimistic with just an intake and downpipe on the TSP 1 tune. Why not upgrade to the TSP 1+ or Phearable 1.5R tune?

For example, the Phearable 1.5R was dyno'd at 249/302 on an otherwise completely stock Si.
To be honest that was my optimistic guess for horsepower and torque, my conservative estimate is 245 whp and 280 wtq but I was kind of hopping for more lol. Anyway I’m scared for my clutch as it slips very easily now. I do plan to upgrade to TSP 1+ whenever I get the money for a new clutch.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Minor addition: Added a new stat for cars in the thread with fully built engines.

Eleon

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: ~2 years

Tuned miles driven: 20,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 19 psi now on a custom dyno tune by Edge Autosport in Colorado.

Fuel used: Shell 91

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI with street maf, PRL intercooler and charge pipes, PRL catted dp and fp, MAPerformance race exhaust. I use Amsoil 0w-20 and change my oil myself every 4-4.5 miles. I replaced my spark plugs at 30k miles just to play it safe. They didn’t look too bad after 30k miles.

Problems/issues: This is an update from my post last year. One year and 10k more miles, nothing to report. Cold starts when it’s under 30 degrees Fahrenheit take a little longer than in the summer but that might be normal. Clutch is still holding up as long as I don’t floor it in higher gears.

Driving style: Very conservative~98% of the time. I’ll do a pull every now and then. I don’t track or race the car. Never floor it in higher gears, never floor it from a dead stop or at lower than 3k rpms to reduce the rod bending torque( I roll into the throttle whenever I do a pull),

Tuning experience notes: my custom tune has been running fine.

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Minor addition: Added a new stat for cars in the thread with fully built engines.
I'm in the club of 8 :cool:

But in reality, I'm surprised so few people have built motors.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Well I'm sure many more have built motors, they just aren't a part of the thread.

I think the the big issue is cost. But man oh man, it has to be a great feeling to drive aggressively and not have much worry in the back of your mind.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag

Like gtman said money lol but I have hope for my stock block. I will work up to building one, I want to pay off the car lol

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 9
Total Tuned Time: 6 Months 3 1/2 weeks

Tuned Miles Driven: 8,800 miles (38,800 miles total)

Tunes used: Current: Phearable 1.5R w/ Throttle set to Highest (Previous: Ktuner Stage 0; Phearable 1.5; Dual 21/18/15 tune w/ Quick Adjustments)

Fuel Used: 93 Octane (Occasionally 1gal e85).

Related Mods: K&N Air Filter, Mishimoto Induction Hose.

Problems/Issues: Zero.

Experience Notes: Did an oil change just shy of 6,000 miles, cleaned out my air filter (not really dirty), adjusted my intake hose, and re-flashed Phearable 1.5R w/ Quick Adjustments set to their highest level. I notice a slight difference from before but nothing game changing. Car still runs smoothly, I run in Eco mode 90% of the time and manage low-mid 30mpg a tank (usually 280-300 miles a fill up), primarily running in Map 1 as it's more than enough for how I drive. BBG is set to 18PSI I believe, may lower it to help with traction. Otherwise, really happy I chose a Civic. 7 months into ownership and loving it.
Update 10!
Total Tuned Time: 7 months 2 weeks?

Tuned Miles Driven: 10,500 miles (40,500 miles total)

Tunes used: Current: Phearable 1.5R w/ Turbo Ramp and Throttle set to Highest (Previous: Ktuner Stage 0; Phearable 1.5; Dual 21/18/15 tune w/ Quick Adjustments)

Fuel Used: 93 Octane (Occasionally 1gal e85).

Related Mods: K&N Air Filter, Mishimoto Induction Hose.

Problems/Issues: Zero.

Experience Notes: Did a ~700 mile drive round-way from where I live (a tiny community 45 miles outside Memphis) to O'Fallon IL in less than 12 hours. Majority of the way we were going an average speed of 80MPH and tuned, I averaged 32.7mpg from the time we left, to the time we returned to Memphis (from Memphis home 45 miles I managed 40.1mpg). While many factors go into MPG, I blame 1) bad winter blend fuel; 2) how incredibly windy it was today; 3) it was 32f all the way up, and didn't get above 40f until halfway back. But 32.7mpg across 655 miles is rather good if you ask me, considering the circumstances.
Sidenote: Parents bought a 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5T CVT that I got to drive back today, going to make a post about it and comparing MPG, drive/ride quality, etc. so if you're interested in that comparison, keep an eye out! TLDR is: Tuning does not significantly impact MPG under NORMAL circumstances, if at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Just to add one more thought beyond the cost factor I mentioned earlier. There may actually be more than 8 people in the thread with built motors but I can only tally things based on what people post. That's why it's so important for people to add those update posts here with any additions, changes or problems.

Last edited:

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
Update #3 i believe i had did a second update when i switch over to flex fuel e30 pherable 2.5 tune. Since i had been abusing the crap out the car for a few days ill do a update.
Vehicle: 2018 civic si

Total tuned time: almost my full ownership of my car

Tuned miles driven: 40k miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v2

Tunes used: basetunes, tsp stage 1, pherable 2.5, custom tuned by john vega

Fuel used: 91 shell/chevron. E85 blend e30-45

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI (Race MAF), injen intercooler and pipes. Prl dp/fp prl flex fuel kit, mishimoto catch can, rv6 drop in and competion stage 2 clutch. Full hasport mount kit

Problems/issues: had to replace my injectors at 40k my guess was due to the e85. Wheel hop i guess ima have to switch to coils to stop it

Driving style: i drive the crap out my car digs, cayons, and roll racing.

Tuning experience notes:
Love ktuner v2 makes tuning much easier dont have to carry a laptop
how is the full hasport mount set? i have just the RMM and love it
Sponsored