The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tuning update!

Vehicle: 2018 Hatchback Sport

Total tuned time: 3 years

Tuned miles driven: ~50k total ~7-10k on current set up

Tuning device(s) used: k tuner v2

Tunes used: ktuner, tsp stage 1, IMW custom tune 91oct/e30, IMW custom tune PRL big turbo kit 91/e30

Fuel used: 91, e85

Additional related mods: full bolt ons, flex fuel, big turbo kit gtx 2860r gen 2

Problems/issues: zero problems

Driving style: spirited

Tune experience notes:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. Do you happen to have a dyno with your current setup or what does Derek estimate your power numbers are?

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time:
1 year, 1 month

Tuned miles driven:
~17000

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner v1.2

Tunes used:
Phearable Stage 1

Fuel used:
Costco 91

Additional related mods:
27Won Intake

Problems/issues:
None

Driving style:
Lightly aggressive

Tune experience notes:

Whew, been inactive from this forum for a while, life got hectic. Hope everyone is still hanging in there! But tune has so far been really reliable! Couldn't really complain, mainly driving around in Map 1/2 -- Map 3 is seldom used as it got a little too jumpy for my driving style and I didn't want to attract the already-zealous LAPD traffic cops that seem to frequent my area lately. My paranoia had me check Ktuner values every couple days and I never really had an issue except when going WOT.

I recently hit a spare tire laying in the middle of a dark road (didn't see it as it was a particularly odd dark spot while changing lanes) and that punctured my front driver side tire and effed the radar calibration, so I flashed back to stock and took it to the dealer. It has since stayed untuned just so I could compare and my main takeaways since are:
1) The stock tune is HELLA boring
2) I've actually lost MPG since going back to stock, from 34 avg to 31 avg. Odd.

I've actually had more issues with my Eibach springs, as they seem to squeak and knock like crazy in the mornings lately, especially with the weirdly varying weather. Would go back to stock springs, if I could afford the labor to go stock again.
? ?

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
On a side thing, Honda really charges $190 to recalibrate the ACC/LKA sensors. Ridiculous for what was less than an hour of labor.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Based on the dash warnings, CEL, OBD Code P006a, high knock count and high knock control numbers, hesitations during constant throttle, and erratic idle, my high-pressure fuel pump and injectors are being replaced. I have 95K miles with the last 35K on Stage 2 tune. I run 35% ethanol, and daily drive the car, with autocross and occasional track days. I have numerous mods, but engine is stock. There are concerns with ethanol in our fuel system causing issues, but to my knowledge, there is no evidence of corrosion or premature wear. The issue with my fuel system is undetermined at the moment. I have asked the shop for my parts back to determine root cause. Once I tear into the parts I get back, I'll provide pictures and opinion. Because of the mileage, it was recommended to get my valves adjusted as normal maintenance, and because they were noisy. I haven't got the bill yet, since they just ordered parts to arrive in a couple of days. They are confident this should clear the issue, but will have to run a diagnostic after repair. I am going to contact the Tuner to see if they have anything to add to the ethanol compatibility question out there or if everyone is waiting for our high mileage cars start showing common issues. Just wish you guys can catch up with my mileage and share in the fun. Will report back next week with what I learn.

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX - T CVT

Total tuned time: 1 day

Tuned miles driven:
~10

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 1

Fuel used:
Costco 91

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues:
None

Driving style:
Slightly aggressive

Tune experience notes:

I just tuned the car today and thought id just add a post here in case i forget later. I tuned the car via ktuner 1.2 and tunerview app. I wasnt sure if the tune worked because I got to the end and the app said to turn car off and on and I did so several times but the app never continued. I tried to start the car after turning it off and on a few times and it started so I assumed the tune worked or atleast the factory tune was on. I decided to take it for a quick test drive and I noticed right away that with the throttle depressed about 10% for a second or two, I was already at 50MPH - I think to myself, is that the tune? I pulled up to a stop light and I tried to floor it from a stop, which ive been able to do on the factory tune with no problems. This time tho, my tires slipped, which has never happened to me before with any car but that was definitely the tune.

The car feels faster and more responsive. Im only on the stage 1 tune because I just filled the car up with 91 octane and the previous tank was 87 octane so I want to burn the rest of the 87 before I do a stronger tune. After i fill up the tank again, I will likely try the ktuner stage 2 tune and then the phearable 1.5 tune.

It looks like ill need more sticky tires and I was planning to get some soon anyway when I upgrade my rims.

One question i do have, is it bad to floor the car from a stop now that its tuned? Of course I risk the tires slipping if theyre not sticky enough but will it damage the engine? The reason I ask is because I know manual cars need to be at a certain RPM before you can floor it and im not sure if the same applies to CVT engines.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
First of all NEVER launch a CVT. In other words, revving the engine up while braking then gunning the gas pedal. That's CVT murder right there.

As far as normal mashing the pedal from a stop, that's fine. But here's the thing, you'll do much better doing the gas pedal mash once you've already starting to roll.

Tune wise, the Stage 1 and 2 tunes are good but limited. At some point, switch to a Starter tune where you'll be able to have 3 on the fly maps and can adjust things to customize it to your driving style.

Here's a good read for you if you haven't checked it out yet:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/my-ktuner-experience-an-ongoing-journal.29033/

Thanks for adding your car and enjoy the tune life.

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
First of all NEVER launch a CVT. In other words, revving the engine up while braking then gunning the gas pedal. That's CVT murder right there.

As far as normal mashing the pedal from a stop, that's fine. But here's the thing, you'll do much better doing the gas pedal mash once you've already starting to roll.

Tune wise, the Stage 1 and 2 tunes are good but limited. At some point, switch to a Starter tune where you'll be able to have 3 on the fly maps and can adjust things to customize it to your driving style.

Here's a good read for you if you haven't checked it out yet:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/my-ktuner-experience-an-ongoing-journal.29033/

Thanks for adding your car and enjoy the tune life.
Thanks for the reply gtman and for encouraging me to just tune the car. Ive never launched the CVT, and dont plan to, but its good to know what do avoid. I didnt know launching a car in that way was a thing. I did notice that rolling before flooring it allows a much smoother start. The car is definitely a different beast with just a tune and so much more fun.

I will switch to a starter soon, I was thinking of implementing the on the fly maps because I may not want all that power always so I think the starter is the way to go. I didnt know that could be done with the starter maps so I will definitely look into those. Although I may just go straight to the phearable 1.5 if I cant wait lol. I will update my post when I switch tunes and after I get some more miles on the tunes.

Just ordered some wheels, hopefully they get here soon so I can really test out these tunes.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ClearEyes, a couple things. When you do an update, do a new post. Don't edit your original post. It helps me keep the stats accurate.

Secondly, although you can go straight to Phearable, try the Starter tunes for a while. For me it was a great learning experience tweaking my own tunes and getting an understanding of how each setting changed the feel of the tune.

One thing I'd recommend is using BBG and Advanced VSA to limit wheelspin. I'll let you know how to set it up when you're ready.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Current thread stats

Total tuned cars submitted: 883
Non-Si 408; Si 380; CTR 70; 2.0 NA 25
Sedan 449; Hatchback 272; Coupe 162

Total tuned miles driven: 12,951,985 (reported)
Most tuned miles driven: choo (139,000)
Cars with over 25,000 tuned miles: 137 (15%)

Cars with major drivetrain failures: 22 (2.5%)
Failures by model: Si 6; Non-Si 15; 2.0 NA 0; CTR 1
Failures by tune type: Base 9; OTS 5; Custom 8
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.5%

Transmissions: CVT 307 (35%); Manual 576 (65%)
Base models (1.5T, 2.0 NA): 71% CVT; 29% Manual
Upgraded clutches installed: 98 (17%)
CVT failure rate: 2.0% (6)

Hondata used for tuning: 191; Race (165) Carb (26)
KTuner used for tuning: 730; V1.2 (411) V2 (319)
Other devices used: JB4 3; RaceChip 4; Motec 4
Usage rate: KTuner 79%; Hondata 20%; Other 1%

Currently custom tuned: 176 (20%)
Currently OTS tuned: 434 (49%)
Currently base tuned: 273 (31%)

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (348)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (182)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (46); Phearable 1.5R (43)

Most popular fuel used: 93 octane (452; 51%)
Users topping off with E85: 98 (11%)
Flex fuel kits installed: 102 (11%)

No bolt ons added: 267 (30%)
Bolt ons added (not FBO): 441 (50%)
Cars with full bolt ons: 175 (20%)

Cold air intakes installed: 346 (39%)
Short ram intakes installed: 97 (11%)
Upgraded intercoolers installed: 279 (32%)
Aftermarket exhausts installed: 245 (27%)

Aftermarket downpipes installed: 267 (30%)
Aftermarket frontpipes installed: 184 (21%)
Upgraded turbo inlet pipes installed: 85 (9%)
Upgraded turbos installed: 75 (8%)

Last edited:

bigf007dreams

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
UPDATE 2

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 1 Year

Tuned miles driven: 15k

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: ; KTuner 23psi w/aggressive quick adjustments

Fuel used: Strictly 93 with tune, factory gets 91.

Additional related mods:
K%N Typhoon Series Short Ram Intake
Rv6 Catted Ceramic Coated Downpipe/Frontpipe
Invidia r400 TriTipBurnt CatBack Exhaust
Boomba Racing Recirc Valve
SiriMoto Front Strut Bar
Hasports 62A Rear Motor Mount
BAA Red Front guard/Skid plate combo
Billetworkz Front License Plate delete: "Still Gunna Send It".
Caruse Aero Flap V2.5
Skunk2: Lowering Springs

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: My butt-dyno feels around 250-260 fwhp and 280-300 fwtq. I haven't found a dyno near me but will update with the sheet when i do.

I'm an aggressive driver, not gunna lie to y'all. I almost never use 6th gear, and am always downshifting for more gap shooting power on the highway. The drone is gone! Still has a beautiful 4cyl purr but no more banshee driving(mebe sometimes). She feels like a Honda should. My favorite part about this car is putting her in sport and just mashing gears on an onramp.

Tune experience notes:
I have a feeling in the near future i'll be switching to Phearable, but this car isnt even halfway done. The basemaps available with Ktuner are fun and add a lot of versatility for honing your drive. I prefer the 19.5/23psi w/sport map the most. I enjoy the giddyup, and like i said gap shooting power.

Goals:
I want this car to look and feel like it came straight out of the Tokyo car scene. I have lived in japan and this Si is the closest(wallet friendly imo) to the elusive Nissan R32 Skyline...#drool.

MISC:
I've done all the preventative maintenance on this car, and every aftermarket upgrade. Oil changes every 5k, along with SRI dusting, and cabin air filter. Its crazy how much I love this car.
I just did a transmission drain & fill at 72k and will be performing a fuel system cleaning within the next month.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice addition to the thread. Thanks.

It's great when people add detailed driving style and tune experience notes. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a friendly reminder.

If you're tuned, you really should add your car here for a few reasons.

1. It helps the community. It give us us a better understanding of tuning/tune reliability and gives others a better idea of what might be the best setup/mods for them.

2. By have this much tuning information is one thread, it makes tune related stuff a bit easier to track down.

3. I'll do my best to answer your questions and concerns and check out your datalogs too.

To make it really easy to add your car, just copy this 10 item format, fill in your info, then paste it into a new post in the thread:

Vehicle
:

Total tuned time:

Tuned miles driven:

Tuning device(s) used:

Tunes used
:

Fuel used:

Additional related mods:

Problems/issues:

Driving style:

Tune experience notes:

DAVEEVAD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
***Update from post #2502***

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Sport Hatch 1.5t (CVT)

Total tuned time: 6 Months

Tuned miles driven: 3,810 (17,690)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 (Map 2, almost exclusively)

Fuel used: 93 only.

Additional related mods: None, Stock (well, AEM 28-50044 Dry Flow Air Filter)

Problems/issues: None. However, I have noticed a whirring noise (I know, ugh) at highway speed for about a month now. Seems related to the accelerator, not road noise. I'll have it looked at when I get my inspection soon.

Driving style: I never abuse my cars. In fact, the back of my pedal has no idea what the floor feels like. However, I never waste time getting to or escaping from a Stop sign. Also, I hate being passed on the Highway. I am always in the left lane setting the pace (cautiously). I don't need to do 90 I just feel more comfortable when cars are moving backwards on my right. - been this way for the first 30yrs (driving), not changing anytime soon.

Tuning experience notes: Just do it!
The way this car feels now is how it should have come from the factory. I don't feel like I need any bolt-ons (check back with me when the warranty is up tho). Plenty of GO for my needs. I love the 65 to 95 power I get when I want it!
Using the v1.2 requires me to use TunerView lite so I have the connectivity issues many others report when using Android Auto. I need to make sure that my BT does not connect to the car (AA) before I connect it to TunerView. Otherwise I get the "connecting" message every few seconds. Not the end of the world but I wish the HU would handle multiple BT connections better.
Besides that...Amazing! - Thanks gtman for all you do for this community!

JB100

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI, 1968 Ford F100
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 27 months

Tuned miles driven: 35,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 for 35k miles. Just changed over to TSP Stage 2 FLEX FUEL

Fuel used: Any gas station with 93 octane

Additional related mods: Injen CAI, Injen Charge pipes, Injen Intercooler, SiriMoto Flex Fuel, Clutch Master FX350

Problems/issues: Just a Krispy burnt stock clutch after about 20k very abusive miles.

Driving style: Drive it like you stole it! This is a daily driver and it gets about 30 highway miles and 30 city miles every day of the week. Highway miles at about 85mph and city driving is heavy acceleration if open between the lights.

Tune experience notes: TSP Stage 1 tune is great. I don't care for the Improved throttle response I and II. After letting off the gas then re-applying, there is a delay in acceleration and when it does accelerate, it hits hard and is a bit jerky. I set it back to factory and that took care of it. Plus, I don't care for WOT at 35% throttle position.

I ran the KTuner 23psi with flex fuel enabled when I installed the flex fuel kit about a month ago along with my new clutch. I'm still breaking in the clutch and have not really had a chance to see what the Flex Fuel feels like. Soon as my clutch is broken in, I will load the TSP Stage 2 flex fuel.
Sponsored