The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

markon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRX-B16A / EK4 VTi sedan B18C/ FK7 1.5T EUDM
Country flag
Hello to all,
This is an UPDATE

Vehicle: 2019 Civic FK7 Sport (EU-Greece)

Total tuned time: approx. 20months

Tuned km driven: 27,0000+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner 19-21-23psi; maf scaling, timing etc

Fuel used: 100 RON (ELIN-AVIN-REVOIL)

Additional related mods: Mishimoto intake and Intercooler / Hondahack with tunerview lite

Oil used: MOTUL 5w30 x-clean EFE ACEA C2/C3 (oil and oil filter change every 3000-4000 miles)

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Notes: Ruthenium spark plugs/ gapping 0.65mm, Knock control stays 0.49 at 99% of any driving condition especially after full support update, getting rid of the artificial knock rise.
In special conditions of around or above 35 degrees Centigrade ambient temp.(thank you Greek summer) might see 0.52 but quickly reverts to low point.

Special Thanks to: @varge , @ef9_b16a1

Tuning experience notes: As per my initial post happy to get into tuning; few things I know much more to learn. Main reason of getting tuned is because I see there is room for fine tuning and coming from N/A b18c driving feeling I needed car to be more fun to drive.
I mostly care to make it better not to make the most of it.

@KTuner
We know there are more, I really hope you will soon feel safe to share;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Tune experience notes: With all the modifications done the car makes 335whp, stock block and trans. I've attended several autocross events and I drive the car in a spirited manor every day. So far, never skipped a beat.
This is what I like to hear! lol
Looks like you got a well made civic from the factory haha

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I added a few more search terms to that new search post and added this blurb to my original post:
Search: Use this post to find specific information in the thread quickly. It features direct links to many useful tuning related searches. The post will be updated regularly.
I was going to add the actual searches to the original post but it looked too cluttered. I think it works better linking the search post instead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Gavin, thanks for adding those vids. You've really taken your car's performance up a notch since your last post. Nice.

Last edited:

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was asked to post a UPDATE here is current information.

Vehicle: 2017 Honda Civic Type R

Total tuned time: Since April 2020

Tuned miles driven: Little over 10,000kms

Tuning device(s) used: K Tuner V1

Tunes used: PRL full bolt on base map

Fuel used: 91 Octane

Additional related mods: Ktuner/PRL Intake/aFe Catless DP/PRL Intercooler/Thermal Exhaust & Front pipe/Koyo Rad

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Daily driver summer only

Tune experience notes: Would highly recommend ktuner base map if you're just looking to gain a bit more power with a few bolt ons and keep it conservative. Can always do a custom tune later on down the road if need be.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) DSC_7393.JPG

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is one sweet looking engine bay!

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Original post:
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 6 months

Total tuned mileage: 3,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 for Si

Fuel used: Chevron and Shell 92 (highest octane offered in Oregon)

Additional engine mods: 27Won CAI, ACT Organic clutch kit, 27Won RMM, Ruthenium HX plugs.

Problems/issues: Clutch slipped the first day I had the tune flashed. I was on the freeway going ~70 and I mashed it in 4th gear on a 90 degree, banked interchange ramp.

After I tuned, I notice I began to have an oil leak that appears to be from the timing chain inspection cover. I doubt it's related to the tune, but it coincidentally started after.

Many, many clutch master cylinder issues that are documented in other threads I've made. Still working that one out, but it's mostly related to the clutch swap instead of the tune.

Driving style: I rail on it constantly. I rarely hit it hard from a dig but we have many, many beautiful and curvy back highways here I hit up all the time. I'm just waiting for my 4th gear to blow up since that's where I spend most of my time.

Tuning experience notes: This was my first experience tuning a car. The cost of entry is very, very low on this platform, especially for Ktuner, for the entire ecosystem and level of community and vendor support you receive.

TSP Stage 1 for Si really, really unlocks the great potential these engines have. At first I was very cautious, watching fuel trims and knock control religiously. I still have tunerview setup to automatically launch on the head unit every ignition cycle so I can watch the readouts for peace of mind. But it's been long enough without a hiccup with regards to the engine I feel comfortable driving the way I want to instead of constantly acting as if I'm driving on glass and watching knock control.

One major downside I've noticed about the V1.2 is the tunerview app for the head unit has many, many bugs. It constantly disconnects and stops reading values from the Ktuner. It frequently will not connect on app launch. And all the time it gets stuck in a loop where it constantly dims the screen and says it's connecting to the ktuner when it's already connected and reading out values. I wish there was a better solution for this, but outside of getting a V2 which has its own display or using a phone or tablet to run it independently of the head unit, I feel there is no real solution.

Additionally, I am very bummed that tunerview won't show knock count. The ktuner software shows it, the V2 shows it. Why can't the 1.2 show it in tunerview?

First update:
Updated fields:

Total tuned time: 16 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000 miles

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1+ for Si

Fuel used: Chevron and Shell 92 with 1 gallon of E85 per tank

No new problems or issues. Just finally getting my clutch line sorted after all this time.
New updates:

Total tuned time: 25 months

Total tuned mileage: 15,000 miles

Problems/issues:
I had an oil leak from the timing chain cover and had the intermediate shaft bearing fling all its grease out, both of which were fixed under warranty even with all my suspension mods installed (braces, camber arms, lowering springs). Seems highly likely these issues were completely unrelated to the tune.

Tuning experience notes:
The engine purrs like a kitten and roars like a lion. I briefly was in Arizona with only crap tier 91 octane, so I flashed back from TSP Stg 1+ (93 required) to TSP Stg 1 (91 required). Despite flashing down to the 91 octane tune, the gas caused my knock control to fly all over the place, but I drove conservatively and at one point tried some Sunoco GT260 race gas from a pump, which helped but wasn't as good as my local 92 octane +1 gallon of E85.

No harm done, and now that in back home with proper gas the knock control never moves.

Last edited:

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

JCramin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan- Daughter 2012 Civic Coupe - Son 1999 Civic Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 2 years 6 months

Tuned miles driven: 30,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1
Upgrading to TSP Stage 1+

Fuel used: any high octane

Additional related mods: K&N Typhoon Intake. Blow off vavle

Problems/issues: When clutch gets hot from a lot of fast driving and shifting tune 3 sport mode will overpower the clutch and it will slip a little. Once cooled down its fine.

Driving style: Very offensive and spirited.

Tune experience notes:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si
Total tuned time: 2 years 6 months
Tuned miles driven: 30,000
That is great to see. When you added your car a couple years ago you had 2,000 tuned miles on the clock. Now 30K trouble free. Gotta love tune reliability. :thumbsup:

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
For those of you who take your cars for service, do you flash your cars back to stock? oil change, transmission flush, etc.

i would assume for the basic service the dealer has no need to check your ECU, but I could be wrong.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For those of you who take your cars for service, do you flash your cars back to stock? oil change, transmission flush, etc.

i would assume for the basic service the dealer has no need to check your ECU, but I could be wrong.
I do but I'm not sure that's the norm. Everyone up there knows I'm tuned. I probably don't need to.

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag

I haven’t for oil changes.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I take my car in for maintenance tuned. I have it on Map 1, Eco when I do. ;)
Sponsored