The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What about the other 49%?
OTS, but I forgot to state that.

Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Pro custom tuned cars: 172 (20%)
Off the shelf tuned cars: 429 (49%)
Base tuned cars: 267 (31%)

I also added a disclaimer in the thread notes to explain that those tune numbers are based on the current tune that owners are using. So for example, if someone updates and says they've switched from a base tune to say a TSP, I subtract 1 from the base tunes and add 1 to the OTS.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OTS, but I forgot to state that.

Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Pro custom tuned cars: 172 (20%)
Off the shelf tuned cars: 429 (49%)
Base tuned cars: 267 (31%)

I also added a disclaimer in the thread notes to explain that those tune numbers are based on the current tune that owners are using. So for example, if someone updates and says they've switched from a base tune to say a TSP, I subtract 1 from the base tunes and add 1 to the OTS.
It is a rare occasion to meet both a gentleman and a scholar within one person. ?? Thank you!

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Type-R

Total tuned time: about 2.5 months

Tuned miles driven: 5132 (tuned at 9976, currently at 15,108)

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Race Flashpro

Tunes used: Hondata 93 basemap

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional related mods: no other powertrain mods

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Unchanged from first update - slightly speedy with aggressive sprints from time to time. Haven't done any autocross since the tune, and I'd technically have to reflash to the stock tune to stay in D Street anyway.

Tuning experience notes: Since the tune the car has noticeably more pep. It's more noticeable in the higher gears, since really getting on it in 1st & 2nd gear just causes wheel spin.

It's been a great 5000 miles so far. I meant to post yesterday when I hit 5k miles, but I didn't get around to it until now - and I'm trying to get this posted before 2022. :)

Still no bolt-ons at this time, though I did pick up a set of Mortegi MR924's for dedicated Autocross use, and still use the Titan7's for daily driver duty.

I did install a new steering wheel - it doesn't have anything to do with the tune, but I'm proud of it, so I'll use that as my picture this time. ;)

-bob

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) SteeringWheel

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the final 2021 update! :thumbsup: Glad you're loving the tune and thanks for the pic. Steering wheel looks great.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Update:

Car :
Honda Civic Hatchback Type E CVT

Total tuned time: 20 months

Total tune mileage: 6,671 miles

Tuning device: KTuner V1.2, previously Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Currently custom self-tune for my own custom big turbo. (Previously: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1, Self-made 19 PSI, Custom tune by Steve from E-Tunez, Custom self tune for CR-V Turbocharger swap, Custom self-tune for CAPTS Stage 2 Turbocharger by CAPTS)

Fuel used: 98 RON (93 Octane?)

Additional engine mods (Current): custom intercooler, custom catted downpipe (200 cells cat), custom 2.5 Inch FP, Sprint drop in filter replacement, Maxpeedingrods I-beam connecting rod, Traum Pistons (10.6:1 comp ratio, stock dimension), Custom big turbo (previous turbocharger used: CR-V Turbocharger (installed for 4 months), CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger).

Problems/issues: None so far

Driving style:
Stop-and-go traffic 95% of the time with occasional morning run (05:30 AM) weekdays and 06:00 AM in the weekend.

Tuning experience notes: Happy with how the car turns out so far. The new turbo seems to spool slightly quicker than CAPTS Stage 2 but I expect lower power above 4500 RPM range looking at number of blades. I may need to check injectors because STFT occasionally could touch -20% and +20% ranges. Unfortunately 5AG-P83 ECU has no LTFT reading to compare. I update my build journey occasionally in my Instagram page.

Previous Tuning Experience notes:
Hondata Flashpro -
decent tuning device and good for basic tuning for 1.5T. Provide Live Tuning and Advanced Graph for datalog study. User can download tune from ECU, not only upload. Torque limiter is such a limiting factor when pushing boost past 21 PSI after I swap with CR-V turbocharger KTuner V1.2 - Quick Adjustments feature wins my choice. I "convert" my Hondata Flashpro calibration to KTuner with some adjustments to boost tables calibration. Still need to perfect the AFM. I find difficulty to plug KTuner V1.2 dongle to OBD II perfectly in one go. I need to wiggle the unit until it is perfectly connected. CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger: Just installed today. Flashed self-tuned calibration for the turbocharger upgrade & did a quick spin. Low end power wasn't bad. It was actually better than stock although there was a slight delay in spool. Mid to high end power is better than stock but I still need to do a bit tweaking on ignition and fuel tuning. I will go to dyno after tuning complete & created build thread. I will share more detail in the build thread.
Happy New Year 2022!

Time to update mine.

Update:

Car :
Honda Civic Hatchback Type E CVT

Total tuned time: 24 months

Total tune mileage: 8,543 miles

Tuning device: KTuner V1.2, previously Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Currently custom self-tune for my own custom big turbo. (Previous Tunes: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1, Self-made 19 PSI, Custom tune by Steve from E-Tunez, Custom self tune for CR-V Turbocharger swap, Custom self-tune for CAPTS Stage 2 Turbocharger)

Fuel used: 98 RON (93 Octane?)

Additional engine mods (Current): Rev9 intercooler, custom catted downpipe (200 cells cat), custom 2.5 Inch FP, Sprint drop in filter replacement, Maxpeedingrods I-beam connecting rod, Traum Pistons (10.6:1 comp ratio, stock dimension), Custom big turbo (Previous Turbochargers used: CR-V Turbocharger (installed for 4 months), CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger).

Problems/issues: None so far

Driving style:
Stop-and-go traffic 95% of the time with occasional morning run (05:30 AM) weekdays and 06:00 AM in the weekend.

Tuning experience notes: Rev9 Intercooler re-installed as I wasn't happy with the previous custom intercooler. Rev9 Intercooler performs well. Hopefully, the intercooler last because I heard a few horror story about some fins from the intercooler breaks and flew into the throttle body. Happy with how the car turns out so far. My custom made big turbo seems to spool slightly quicker than CAPTS Stage 2 I previously used but I expect lower power above 4500 RPM range looking at number of turbine blades.

Hondata Flashpro -
decent tuning device and good for basic tuning for 1.5T. Provide Live Tuning and Advanced Graph for datalog study. User can download tune from ECU, not only upload. Torque limiter is such a limiting factor when pushing boost past 21 PSI after I swap with CR-V turbocharger KTuner V1.2 - Quick Adjustments feature wins my choice. I "convert" my Hondata Flashpro calibration to KTuner with some adjustments to boost tables calibration. Still need to perfect the AFM. I find difficulty to plug KTuner V1.2 dongle to OBD II perfectly in one go. I need to wiggle the unit until it is perfectly connected. CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger: Just installed today. Flashed self-tuned calibration for the turbocharger upgrade & did a quick spin. Low end power wasn't bad. It was actually better than stock although there was a slight delay in spool. Mid to high end power is better than stock but I still need to do a bit tweaking on ignition and fuel tuning. I will go to dyno after tuning complete & created build thread. I will share more detail in the build thread.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the update Arnoldo, great stuff.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Appreciate the update Arnoldo, great stuff.
No problem buddy. I'll continue updating my post regularly or whenever I add some engine modifications to the car. Happy New Year!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The question of the day...

Who will add the year's first tuned car to the thread?

It could should be YOU. :cool:

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Car : 2017 Honda Civic FC1 CVT TCP to MT

Total tuned time: 12 mths or so since this built engine (stock engine is collecting dust as backup)

Total tune mileage: approx. 10k KM

Tuning device: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Self Tuned aka CAPTS

Fuel used: RON 97 most of the time sometimes RON 100

Additional engine mods : Custom Skunk 2 Ultra Plenum, 5 port WMI, more to come when I have more time. There are also some other stuff that's on R&D will be releasing more info after some tests.

Problems/issues: None.

Driving style:
Normal driving around town heading to dyno to tune own & other cars, some touge mountain road drives. Most of the time slow city driving & I think the car spends more WOT on the dyno than OTR.

Tuning experience notes: so far so good & @KTuner has been good at support.

This was a CVT from before & now an MT. Both have their own issues but tbvh MT will have more issues to be solved before attempting to make more power but has less limitations compared to CVT in both HW & SW.

A short clip below on 1 of the last few tunes for 2021 on this ride with more to come soon in the near future.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
hey gtman, i know you've said in the past that a k.count of 10 or so is reasonably fine for a normal drive, and that it shouldn't pose any issue or worry. However, since i had my car in the shop for 5 weeks specifically because i lifted the head and was misfiring, i've been a little more apprehensive when it comes to my k.count being higher than 1 or 2.

My car has yet to be at a k.count of 0 for an entire drive. Not that i expect it to, but even a short trip to the store or something, it still has not stayed at 0. Sometimes it gets up to 20 or so but it hasn't surpassed the 20 mark yet.

Since i paid a good chunk of change and waited a ton of time, should i bring the car back to that shop and see what's up? Or perhaps am i being a little hectic and worrisome over nothing. LMK your thoughts, thanks.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A knock count of 20 for a drive is harmless. Things like hitting a bump in the road can cause a "knock". I often get a couple "knocks" at startup. No worries.

I understand your apprehension but unless you see hundreds within say, 30 seconds, I would relax.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A knock count of 20 for a drive is harmless. Things like hitting a bump in the road can cause a "knock". I often get a couple "knocks" at startup. No worries.

I understand your apprehension but unless you see hundreds within say, 30 seconds, I would relax.
i've noticed since the rmm inserts it tends to go up a couple on startups.
thanks for the reply btw you're the only one that reads my posts entirely :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the reply btw you're the only one that reads my posts entirely :thumbsup:
I look at it this way. If anyone has taken the time to add their tuned car to the thread, I'll do my level best to help them. We only get a small portion of tuned owners adding their cars here (and even less who add updates) so someone active like you is a thread VIP IMO.

Not to make this post too much of a vent but I see more and more people posting on the forum about tune related issues. Yet, those same people don't add their car to this thread. It's really disappointing. After all, the purpose of this thread is to discuss tuning experiences, reliability and related issues in one central location.

What's crazy is that even with so many great people like you who link this thread in their signature and ask other tuned owners to add their cars here, so few do. Believe me, I try to hold my head up high, but some days, the challenge of trying to get people onboard here is draining.

Tuning is a great thing. And learning more about tuning and tune reliability is important for the community. I see that, I guess most don't. Or maybe they don't care about the community aspect of a forum. It's kind of basic. If you're tuned and a CivicX member, your car should be posted here.

Last edited:

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I updated my original post on page 219 of this thread. I think with my setup ~250 whp and ~290 wtq is a fair estimate of how much power Im making, but it is just an estimate given TSP’s numbers on a stock car. My car is holding up perfectly for now and I will continue to update my post!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I updated my original post on page 219 of this thread. I think with my setup ~250 whp and ~290 wtq is a fair estimate of how much power Im making, but it is just an estimate given TSP’s numbers on a stock car. My car is holding up perfectly for now and I will continue to update my post!
Jack, you needed to do a new post, not overwrite your original post. That way, I can see the numbers from your original post and can accurately update the stats with the new info.

I explain that in the first post:
Since this is an ongoing experience and reliability thread, please add a new post from time to time.

Use that new post to show additional tuned miles driven, changes to your tune or mod setup, any issues that occur and any new tuning experience notes.

Update with a new post only. Don't edit and overwrite your original post.
Sponsored

Last edited: