The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Tazmo

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CR-V EXL AWD
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Honda CR-V EXL

Total Tuned Time: 1 month

Total Tuned Mileage: - 400

Tuning Device: Ktuner v2

Tunes used: KTuner 21 PSI base

Fuel used: Sunoco 93

Additional Engine Mods: Takada Momentum intake

Problems / Issues: None

Driving Style: City mostly, conservative with some spirited driving

Tuning Experience: This is the way it should have come from the factory, much more enjoyable to drive and I want more, adding the new PRL Downpipe when it’s released and will get a custom tune done after that.
Sponsored

areallyslowcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX 2.0L CVT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic LX 2.0L NA Midnight Burgandy

Total tuned time: 4 months

Total tuned mileage: ~5,000 Miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner

Tunes used: Base (Only one available for 2.0L Non Turbo)

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: None, car had 50k miles on it before tuning and now has 55k without any issues at all.

Gas : 91 Octane only

Driving style: Daily 50+ mile commute for work, lots of WOT moments to spice up my daily drive.

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 4 Months

Tuned miles driven: 2k

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTUner 19.5 PSI Basemap

Fuel used: Sinclair 91 and 1 gallon of E85 per tank

Additional related mods: 27WON Intake, 27WON TIP, CNT Racing Catless DP and FP, Greddy DD-R Exhaust, eBay TD03 Turbo

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Generally pretty chill and within the speed limit with some occasional pulls.

Tuning experience notes: The process was super easy and I haven't experienced any problems.
Not sure how, or if, it's necessary to update if there have been any changes made, but felt I needed to.

10/16/2021 - replaced turbo with eBay turbo (HERE) due to a sheared stud- not quite OEM, but cheap and all I could afford at the moment. Also installed the 27WON TIP and a CNT catless DP and FP combo. Re-flashed the 19.5 PSI basemap and disabled rev-hang, the P0420 catalyst efficiency DTC, enabled advanced VSA and enabled the "light ignition pullback, moderate throttle pullback" advanced VSA control strategy.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how, or if, it's necessary to update if there have been any changes made, but felt I needed to.
Oh, updates are definitely welcome!

By the way, how many tuned miles driven since your original post?

Last edited:

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Honda CR-V EXL

Total Tuned Time: 1 month

Total Tuned Mileage: - 400

Tuning Device: Ktuner v2

Tunes used: KTuner 21 PSI base

Fuel used: Sunoco 93

Additional Engine Mods: Takada Momentum intake

Problems / Issues: None

Driving Style: City mostly, conservative with some spirited driving

Tuning Experience: This is the way it should have come from the factory, much more enjoyable to drive and I want more, adding the new PRL Downpipe when it’s released and will get a custom tune done after that.
Trying to talk a guy at work in to getting a tuner for his crv

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone who has already added their car to the thread should read this.

I have the feeling a lot of people wait until something major has changed like new bolt ons added, a new tune or an issue that's occurred to add an update. And those are important reasons to add an update, no doubt.

Just as important, a new update post that simply says "xxxx trouble-free miles driven since my last post" is not only an easy way to add an update, but extremely valuable. After all, this is a tuning reliability study at it's core and tuned miles driven is a big part of that.

Even easier, just post your current tuned miles. I'll track down your prior post, figure out the difference and update the stats.

Thanks to everyone who adds updates.

Last edited:

aethecarfanatic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Update:

Civic is sold, but I wanted to provide an update on my experience tuned with Phearable 1.5. I ended up putting just over 2000 miles on the car with this tune and had zero issues whatsoever. Never any increased knock, LTFT were always around -2% or less. I would highly recommend this tune to anyone especially since on the last day before I sold the car, I flashed back to stock tune and drove it. Even in map 1, the Phearable 1.5 provided such an increase in torque and boost ramp without any additional boost pressure. I was a bit worried about reliability when I first decided to get tuned, but I can tell you it is so worth the upfront cost and you likely have nothing to worry about.

Hope this encourages some people on the fence to take the plunge and finally tune the car just like I did!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
An update like this, even after selling your car, is AWESOME. So important. Thanks man.

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: <1 day

Tuned miles driven: 10 (~12,700 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Grocery Store 93 Octane

Additional related mods: None at the moment.

Problems/issues: None. Though I did flash the tune twice because I was dumb and didn't let go of the Cancel button to change Maps the first time around.

Driving style: Conservative, as to not upset the wife with a blown engine. :) Enjoy highway on ramps and the occasional country road pull.

Tuning experience notes: Just recently purchased the Civic and on stock tune it was already quick coming from a 2005 Chevy Cavalier. Was mostly interested in the rev hang delete, but played with Map 3 for a brief minute and all I can say is, "holy sh**."

I am a little concerned with the history of failures from hatchbacks in this thread, so I might scale down what I wanted to do with this car, but at the least I plan on adding the 27won CAI and perhaps a downpipe/front pipe combo. Just looking for a bit more sound without swapping exhausts.
One month update. Went out for the most "spirited" drive I've had since owning the Civic on lunch today and data logged for the first time. I wanted to have a baseline because I have a few new things planned to go on the car next weekend (27won intake, Mishimoto intercooler, plus a few other things).

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: ~1 month

Tuned miles driven: 1,100 (~13,800 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Still 93 octane, last two tanks have been "Top Tier" gasoline. Will go out of my way to use that only moving forward now that I know what local stations are considered "Top Tier."

Additional related mods: Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can

Problems/issues: No performance issues to note. Knock control rock solid at 0.49. I do get an annoying "rattle" (though I think it's air noise) from the catch can around ~2,300-2,600 RPM when the engine is warmed up. Doesn't bother me as much as it bothers the wife.

Driving style: Still very conservative. Have about an 11 mile commute one way to work. Mostly 40 MPH speed limit. Averaging between 33-34 MPG. Even my "spirited" drive today is probably tame by many people's standards. I have throttle position showing on my KTuner and it rarely gets above 35 percent.

Tuning experience notes: Been running MAP 2, non-eco mode almost exclusively for the past three weeks. Seems to be the best balance for a daily commuter. Probably done with performance type mods after the aforementioned intake and intercooler. I was originally going to do a down pipe/front pipe, but at that point I'm going to go for a custom tune. Little more than I want to spend.

I picked through today's data logs and everything looks OK to me, but have uploaded them here if anyone is interested.

Attachments

IonEX-T

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-t
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Ext CVT

Tuned time: 10 months

Tuned Mileage: 9800km/6092miles

Tuning Device: RaceChip GTS, Ktuner V2

Tunes Used: Ktuner basemaps with adjustments, Phearable 1.5, Custom Tune by DRob

Fuel Used: 91 octane/95 octane

Additional Mods: Si turbo, Agency intercooler, 27Won W1 turbo, PRL catted downpipe, K&N intake

Driving Style: Spirited

Problems/Issues : Blown exhaust wheel on W1 turbo, looking to get repaired but will cost a fortune to get there and back. Also having a weird issue recently with the transmission where ill shift to S mode for a pull and shift back to D after but it doesn't shift right away, it will hang in the higher rpms for a second or two.
K&N intake maf scaling running lean, custom tune will resolve. After W1 install I am almost positive I am leaking oil or coolant from the feed lines. Not a huge leak but there is a noticeable smell when I open the hood after a pull.
Recently started hearing grinding like noise when I shift from R to D, could bring it to dealer but I know damaged cvt means replaced cvt and probably would not be covered under warranty. A more minor issue is after my intercooler instal my stft would be lean sometimes, nothing crazy high it’s just I never used to see lean fuel trims, my ltft is still always negative still.

Tuning Experience Notes: Got to experience a fully tuned W1 by DRob for one day before it went me. I will definitely miss the warp speed like top-end power it has. I put back on an Si turbo and I can't say I'm to butthurt to be running phearable 1.5 as its a great tune. Forgot how zippy and fun stock turbo is!
image0.jpeg
image1.png
image3.jpeg
These are the final tuned statistics for my car. Motor has bent rods and bearing material in oil. Looking at options for rebuild, I do have an si motor lined up for 2k. This really sucks, won’t have car for winter now :(

UnknownNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX Hatchback

Total tuned time: 1 night

Tuned miles driven: ~25 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Mostly Shell 93 with some 89

Additional related mods: Intake resonator delete

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Like a teenager- a lot of pulls on backroads and aggressive driving.

Tuning experience notes: Struggled with the tune a little bit, it is my first time modifying a car in any major way. Had some weird issues with rough starts, turbo pressure peaking at 15 psi, and turning the car off/on gave me every single code at one point.

However, outside of these issues (probably of my own fault), it has felt amazing. The overall responsiveness is 10/10, most of the lag in acceleration is removed, and passing feels so much more comfortable. 0-30 the car feels mostly similar but once the turbo is fully spooled the difference is like night and day, and the acceleration is enough to feel like I'm being thrown back in my seat. It's a much more enjoyable experience and would 100% recommend it to any driver looking for just a little bit more.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I picked through today's data logs and everything looks OK to me, but have uploaded them here if anyone is interested.
Yep. Everything looks awesome.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Capture.GIF