The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lesson learned. While the engine can be taken to a certain level of HP, this platform being aerodynamically a kiosk and weighing 20% over the civic, is not ideal for 143mph cruising.....

Question is what do I do now?....rebuilt, install FBO again, tune properly and be more careful, or keep it stock? All I am missing is the clutch and a drop-in turbo to conclude the built. I am scared now obviously but I still want the car to be what it can be and not keep it 173hp...
Just my take here, so only an opinion. I think you have three options.

1. Keep it stock. But, based on things you've said, you won't be happy. You're probably better off selling it rather than this option.

2. Build up the internals, upgrade your clutch and turbo and re-install your bolts-ons. Get a potent custom tune. Go back to your aggressive driving style with a bit of confidence and peace of mind. An expensive option.

3. This is the option I recommend. Reinstall your bolt ons. Get a moderate power custom tune. Set up the tune to help preserve the clutch. Adjust your driving style a bit. Prolonged driving at 143 mph and regular two minute long WOT pulls are so far from what's ideal for having a problem-free CR-V.

Last edited:

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 - Civic SI Coupe

Total tuned time: 1 year

Total tuned mileage: 12k Miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2 / tunerview

Tunes used: KTuner starter/21.5 psi

Fuel used: Petro-Canada 94

Additional engine mods: PRL stage 1 intake ( This summer will be looking for stage 2 intake / Downpipe / New Clutch / TSP Stage 1 )

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Pretty Heavy foot on open road. Never WOT under 3.5/4k RPM

Tuning experience notes: Tryed the dual setup 19.5/23 psi ... In the road test , I just got a limp mode so flashed it back to dual starter/21.5 psi

Total tuned time: 3 years

Total tuned mileage: 37k Miles tuned, 29k stock

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2 / tunerview

Tunes used: tsp stage 1+ & tsp stage 1 / Ktuner base map

Fuel used: Petro-Canada 94

Additional engine mods: 27won Intake, RMM & PRL Catless downpipe.

Additional mods: R1 Concept Geomet Rotor & EBC yellow stuff.

Problems/issues: Last year, at 49k miles had little problem with my fuel trims and honda fixed all on warranty. Maybe the oil dillutuion didn't help with it ( did 1 winter with out the fix ). Since first oil change, I saw an little leak of oil between head and cynlinder head. I think it was an default when they assembly it ... maybe the seal was bad. ( I think that helped to not lubricate cams properly ). They ended up changing cams to fix p0172 and p0302 was the injector. I Always do oil change at 30-40%. My dealer did a pretty good job to repair all nothing to complain about. 1 month later, had little bypass valve code error and they changed it on warranty ended up it's was the wire connection & fixed it. This years nothing happen and the car is perfect! Now my fuel trims are good , ± 3 and getting 0 somethime for like 5 mins.

Driving style: Babying it most of time. Pretty Heavy foot when I want to have some fun... Never WOT under 3.5k RPM

Tuning experience notes:

First mods what the tire never tryed the stock one switched it for indy 500. Loved it !

Last summer, I was on tsp stage 1 with 27won intake & RRM . This tune was way better then ktuner base map.
The RMM on this car helped verry well the shifting gear , the wheel hop and the sport feeling. Pair with tsp stage 1 it's was awesome! Intake added little more spool from de turbo and sounds. Love the hybrid setup from 27won.

This summer, I'm on tsp stage 1+ with 3 more adds on Catless downpipe , R1 geomet concept Rotor + EBC yellow stuff brake pads ! The one+ it's insane...The motor feel just more like stock ... less noise , shifting like butter and helped on start up with my motor mount. I'm very more satisfied about the stg one+ then stg one. Map 2 looks like it pull like map 3 stage 1 and stage one+ map 3 OMG you can feel the diference about torque and hp. Its just amazing with all the smoothness and power you got from the map 3. I'm using it since this summer on map 3 and 0 slip on stock clutch . Knock control on 94 oct petro canada stay at 0.49 most of time ! For real this tunes is day & night and I can tell you is more refined than stage 1 ! ??

This tune is pushing more linear until the redline (6.2-6.6k) and the stage one pushing more fast but was dying between (5.5-6k).

The downpipe added an pretty nice sound on stock exhaust and the engine seems to be free with better turbo spool. My average gas mileage droped with with it ... more power less gas ... fanstatic hhaha it droped to 6.8L/100 km. Before downpipe not able to go down below 7L/100km

The ebc yellow stufff are amazing ... now it's brake ! Pair with R1 Geomet slotted it's the perfect combo when you don't want to go big brake kits. The cold bite is better and the brake pedal feel a bit stiffer. The only negative they make more dust then oem.

Next summer : New wheels avid1 av-27 18x9.5 38 offset pair with 265/35/18

Maybe will add rear sway bar and front from type r or after market.

Cheers ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed update. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport touring cvt

Total tuned time: day

Tuned miles driven: 350 miles. car has 90359

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: BP or Mobil 93.

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: None. Just flashed recently

Driving style: Spirited driving

Tuning experience notes: None

Love the tune so far. Phearable fixed the idle big time and the car has amazing power. Before tuning with a/c off the engine has a harsh idle that vibrates everything. Now it is barely noticeable and idles just under 800.

pics are from when I got the car but it is dirty and looks the same.

491ADB6E-BE10-4809-9070-D1A330953E37.jpeg

D1000198-1484-4930-AC06-62BAFDB36EBC.jpeg
Update at 100250 miles now. Just flashed to stock and am preparing to sell the car. Love it and will miss it. Tune is totally worth it. Need a bigger car for the kids. Possibly the accord hybrid or the camry hybrid. Still unsure but getting this car ready in case I do have to sell it. I’ll post an update of I do sell it or if I decide to keep it and tune again.

fk7mio

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Sport HB CVT

Total Time Tuned: 2 months

Tuned Miles Driven: ~3k

Tuning Device(s) Used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes Used: Ktune Starter Dual 21psi and Phearable 1.5 + GOD MODE

Current Tune: Phearable 1.5 Race Tune + GOD MODE

Fuel Used: mostly Kroger, Shell, and bp 93

Additional Related Mods: Borla Catback Exhaust, PRL Catless Downpipe, PRL Cobra Race CAI

Problems/Issues: None

Driving Style: Slightly more speedy commutes but fun trips to mexico on the weekend

Tuning Experience Notes: this is also my first car tuning, i’ve fallen in love with this car from tuning it and I just want to do more. I have a goal of 300+whp and know the consequences of trying to push my limits for this car but I know it’s going to happen, I just don’t know how long it’ll take

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said in your topic, 300+ whp is doable, just a question of long term. As much as you want to push out that kind of power, is the potential repair bill $$ something you have set aside?

I think going with a J. Vega or D. Robinson custom tune, limiting the torque down low a bit and increasing mid and top end might be a safer bet than going for broke (pun intended). ;)

Last edited:

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 2500 Miles

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 without God Mode. Drive on Map 2 99% of the time

Fuel used: Chevron 91 with a gallon of e85

Additional engine mods: K&N Short Ram Intake

Problems/issues:
No issues so far. Stock clutch seems fine and doesn't.

Driving style: Will redline car maybe once a day from 2nd to 4th gear. Other than that mainly highway miles

1 Year Update

Vehicle: 2019 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 12 months

Total tuned mileage: 20000 Miles

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 without God Mode. Drive on Map 2 99% of the time

Fuel used: Chevron 91 with a gallon of e85

Additional engine mods: K&N Short Ram Intake

Problems/issues:
No issues so far. Stock clutch is still good with no signs of slipping.

Driving style: Will redline car maybe once a day from 2nd to 4th gear. Other than that mainly highway miles

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update with the additional trouble free miles. Great to see.

Ruppdogg78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Accord, 2012 Civic EX, 2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Coupe Rallye Red

Total tuned time: Tuned 7/2021

Tuned miles driven: 300

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 Maps 2 and 3 so far.

Fuel used: Cumberland Farms 93

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Spirited and slightly aggressive.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuner, long time driver. Seriously though, never really modded or upgraded a car before. Original owner, both map 2 and 3 feel like a whole new car.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210724_124344

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Tonic Yellow Si coupe

current mileage is 63,3xx

Total tuned time: 4-5 months

Tuned miles driven: around 6,000

Tuning device(s) KTuner V1.2 TSP stage 1

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1. Mostly Map 1, but I’ll put it in sport in map 3 a handful of times a week. If I notice my MPG going down to much i

Fuel used: Mostly Sams club 93(almost exclusively save 60-65cents/gl). I maybe used 91 once.

Additional related mods: PRL CAI Street in garage need to install. It’s been 6 month

Problems/issues: None, that I am aware of. I do worry about the clutch because

Driving style: I try to stay near 38 mpg.
I like to get on it here and there. I know I’ve gotten that lovely clutch smell at least twice. Am considering trying phearable or upgrading TSP1+
On a side note, idk if it’s the tune or I just don’t remember, but just whenever it’s rough when you let up on the gas. I just don’t remember quite how it drive stock now.
Other mods - Acuity stage 2 with short shifter(need install bushings still), beautiful wooden shift know from Unity. Siri Moro front strut bar, Smoked Suma side markers,I have a few things to install still, PRL CIA street, CTR brace, Rear sway bar and endlinks, some mud flaps and I have CTR wheels I have YET to install. Hard to do when you babysit a baby on days off lol.
tuning experience notes: first time. Quite nervous and didn’t work the first time. I think it was the WiFi. Otherwise I freaking love it.

CocoErupto

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
** UPDATE ** (Old numbers formatted like this)

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 1 year (5 months)

Total tuned mileage: 11,000 miles (5,628 miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Custom Flex-Fuel Tune (E-Tuning currently in progress) (Phearable Stage 1.5)

Fuel used: 93 Octane / E85 (Mixed with 93 octane down to E35)

Additional engine mods: Mods installed in January '21
  1. ACT Clutch Kit (Organic Sprung Street Disc) with following:
    1. PRL SS Clutch Line
    2. kzCMC
    3. CDV Delete
  2. PRL Intercooler + Upgraded Charge Pipes
  3. 27Won Street CAI
  4. RV6 Catted Downpipe + Frontpipe
  5. MAPeformance Cat-Back Street Exhaust

New Mods (installed in July '21):
  1. 27Won Race MAF
  2. 27Won Turbo Inlet
  3. RV6 Turbo
  4. PRL Flex Fuel Kit
  5. ARP Headbolts

Problems/issues: CEL will occasionally trigger due to downpipe, but it is only once in a while and clears itself. I have that code disabled now and won't see it anymore, but it will stay off long enough on it's own to pass emissions.

Driving style: Spirited. I love hitting corners hard. I never launch the car from a dead stop. Any time I get on it or WOT, it's while I'm already driving at a good pace to begin with.

Tuning experience notes: ACT Clutch Kit has been amazing and I've had absolutely no problems or high RPM lockouts since installing it alongside the PRL SS Clutch Line, kzCMC, and CDV Delete. I am currently in the process of having the vehicle eTuned by John Vega (Phearable). I was previously using Phearable 1.5 and it has been amazing. It's too early to tell how all the new mods hold up, but I'll update again soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great update, Coco. I know the community appreciates it. If everyone would update from time to time, this thread would be even better.

Quick note. I updated the first post to expand some of the failure stats.
5 of the 7 (71%) Non-Si engine failures occurred in hatchback models (mostly attributed to weaker rods). 42% of the Non-Si failures were CVT related. The Si major failure rate is only 1.3%.

4 of the failures happened on cars with mild, non-flex fuel, minimal bolt-on setups. That means that lightly modified, moderate output tuned cars only have a 0.55% major failure rate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
VEHICLE: 2019 SI coupe TYP

TOTAL TUNED TIME: 1 year

TUNED MILES DRIVEN: 35000km 21700mi

TUNING DEVICE: Ktuner V2

TUNES USED: Phearable 1.5 map 1 exclusive

FUEL USED: Shell 91 *ethanol free*

ADDITIONAL RELATED MODS: 27WON-street intake, 27WON TIP, 27WON full cattless exhaust.
all other mods I believe are cosmetic in terms of reliability.

PROBLEM/ISSUES: had a CEl warning that would return repeatedly after contacting Pherable they sent a revised tune w. (P0139 &P0420 deactivated) and I've been good since then.
Inconsistent Kcount using petro 94 Alberta Canada
After installing 27WON TIP AND* cattless DP I noticed my LTFT climb up to -8 over a day and 50-100km of driving before reload a ove mentioned revised tune.

NOTES: still stock clutch no slipping. But I did yesterday let the clutch pedal out suddenly before I took out of gear. Hurt my sole when it jerked that bad owe her a full detail.

Kcount has been consistent between .49-.52 with Shel 91 Ethanol free!

LTFT crept up to -8% and was staying high for not 100% if this was resolved by the revised tune, or if it was even a result of the new Mod (tip) or driving without the revised tune. never noticed it before with just cattless DP or on the revised.
-will update later after running above mentioned tune.

Picture is the evening immediately after installation.
Gf tried to get me a picture yesterday of the elevated LTFT unfortunately its a blurry mess and I don't know how to CSI "enhance " the image

Pictures of my install! And painting of heat shield with VHT header paint because orange that's why!

Bonus! My best buddy Terry supervising the install.

Shamless plug. For more pictures of either the car of the pets check out my insta. abs_brakes_

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210730_081304

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210729_171212

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210729_185228

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210729_193220

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210729_202344

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210729_225346

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210730_140520

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210729_190149