The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Javera

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic FK7
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Hatch Sport CVT

Total tuned time: 2 months

Tuned miles driven: 5700 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 93 Octane (Whatever is available, prefer Shell or Wawa)

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI (Street), Remark FK7 catback exhaust, Mishimoto FMIC

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: I'm new to tuning and this is my very first tuned vehicle. I was annoyed at the CVT lag and delayed turbo response (especially in heavy highway traffic) but the tune definitely woke up the car and eliminated 90% of the problems I had. Intake and exhaust sounds are much louder and more defined after the tune. Power difference is very clear and I have fun driving all the time even though its just a daily commuter, grocery getter, and road trip warrior. I was originally apprehensive about tuning but this thread helped me make the decision. I drive mostly in maps 1 & 2, sometimes 3 if I'm feeling frisky.

Not too long after the tune I ended up going on a road trip from Melbourne, FL to Augusta, GA to Killeen, TX and back. During the whole trip I experienced no problems except for one minor casualty to my front skid plate. On my way to San Antonio in the middle lane of the highway there was a random dip. My car bottomed out (surprisingly since its on stock suspension) and knocked out the front clips/bolts holding the skid plate. Next thing I know I'm hearing scraping so I pull over immediately and notice it was dragging and bending. Luckily, It happened 2 miles from an auto body shop and they fixed it within 30 minutes for $25. Shoutout to Lu & Adi Paint and Body for all the help and I was back on the road.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20210412_145743_672

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210416_150609

Skid plate damage before fix
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210426_131653

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car and glad the thread helped you make the decision to tune. Your car looks great btw.

Sal

First Name
Sally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic touring sedan

Total tuned time: 18 months

Tuned miles driven: 15889+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used:Custom tune by John Phearable

Fuel used: 94 octave petro 30% E85

Additional related mods: PRL Flex fuel kit, prl frontpipe and downpipes catless, 27won w1 turbo, prl Fmic,

Problems/issues: None/ well wheel spin

Driving style: Aggressive, multiple 0-60 testing etc
I'm very impressed with my results from all my mods and custom tune, as you see I ran a 0-60 in the 5.5 seconds very impressed, yet to do a 1/4 mile, that's type r territory

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Screenshot_20210513-003949_dragy

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car, Sal. John's a great tuner. Are you still on the stock tires?

Reactions: Sal

Sal

First Name
Sally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Thanks for adding your car, Sal. John's a great tuner. Are you still on the stock tires?
No problem, no I'm not on stock, I'm on some accelera 651 sport tires, they're not popular but was given free to me, it definitely better than stock but I still spin a bit

Juddtastic77

First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan

Total Tuned Time: 8 Months

Tune Miles: ~8000(~55,000 total)

Device Used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes: KTuner basemaps, TSP Stage 1 and 1+, currently on Drob basemap (waiting for my appointment June 15)

Fuel Used: 93 Only, Sunoco/ BP

Problems/Issues: too much fun!

Related Mods: PRL Cobra Cold Air intake race maf, JUST got FBO 2 days ago :
27won- W-2
27won TIP
27won RMM
PRL FMIC with pipes
PRL fp/dp (catted)
Remark exhaust
2020 type R OEM shifter with acuity upgrades ( sold by #unityperformance)
ACT 6-puck sprung clutch kit

Driving Style: Varies, but more on the mild side, occasional bursts of WOT and aggression

Notes: Eager to get to Carlisle and get this thing over 300 mark!( safely ?)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic SI Sedan

Total Tuned Time: 24 hours

Tune Miles: ~50(~68,200 total)

Device Used: KTuner v2

Tunes: TSP Stage 1+

Fuel Used: Sunoco 93

Problems/Issues: OEM Clutch

Related Mods:
PRL Cobra CAI
PRL Intercooler and charge pipes
Mishimoto Catch Can
Acuity Stage 3 adjustable shifter

Driving Style: Need to get there before someone takes my parking spot

Just threw the tune on after adding the bolt ons. Staying away from the 26PSI map 3 of the one plus tune. Will update as time goes on. Car has been stock for 3y/68k miles otherwise

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) MicrosoftTeams-image (6)

RyanFk8

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR ( FK8 )
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Type -R

Total tuned time: 1 Day

Tuned miles driven: 500

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Hondata Stock basemap

Fuel used: 93 Pump Gas / E10

Additional related mods: N/A

Problems/issues: CEL ( should be fixed next reflash ) :D

Driving style: Pretty moderate, with the exception of some pulls due to boredom.

Tuning experience notes: Aside from watching youtube videos and DIY for Hondata, I have no experience.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1620983142742

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking ride, Ryan.

Last edited:

SonicTyphoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Adding my experiences to this thread. Thanks @gtman for leading this effort!

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L (FK7)

Total tuned time: 10 months

Tuned miles driven: 9,500 miles (tuned at ~42,000 miles and sold the car at ~51,500 miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21

Fuel used: Premium 93 - usually Costco Kirkland or Shell brand.

Additional related mods: AF Dynamic Short Ram Intake

Driving style: Mostly mild driving with the occasional spirted bursts to merge into traffic or having fun on back roads.

Tuning experience notes: I've had tunes on previous cars that I've owned (Cobb Access Port on the Fiesta ST using OTS tunes), so was familiar with the basics going into this tune. I wanted something simple without much tweaking since I had a mostly stock car - so was comfortable going with the OTS tunes from KTuner.

I was honestly blown away with how this tune transformed the Civic's 1.5L engine. The differences weren't dramatic, but it was enough to impress myself, passengers, and other people driving my car. I didn't get it officially dyno'd but my unofficial butt dyno would say it gave it at least a 15-20 HP and 20-30 increase in TQ. The difference in gains felt similar to my experience with the Fiesta ST going from stock to a Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune.

Overall - I was really happy with my experience. Didn't have any issues at all, and treated maintenance schedules as I normally did without a tune. Would definitely recommend it for anyone wanting to delve into the world of tuning. Installation / de-installation was a breeze. I used my Macbook running Windows with the KTuner software installed. USB-A -> USB-C adapter worked with connecting to the device with no issues.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car and the props. If you do tune your R, feel free to add it here, too. :thumbsup:

So, an interesting trend is developing. Finally, it looks like more non-Si turbo guys are getting onboard the thread. And for all those people that say "don't tune a CVT", apparently they are wrong. Nearly 70% of tuned non-Si 1.5T's are CVTs.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a pic showing that tunes really don't affect mileage all that much. Both trips were about 25 miles with mostly normal driving with a couple pulls mixed in.

Phearable 1.5 Map 2 (20 psi)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20210514_125131963

rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Sport CVT

Total tuned time: About 2 weeks

Tuned miles driven: about 700 now.

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1/Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: 92 is the highest here

Additional related mods: Stock.

Driving style: Grandma to save gas, will punch it if I get provoked or someone trying cut me off.

Tuning experience notes: I went ahead and bought Phearable 1.5. I was playing with TSP and Phearable tune and I found out that TSP is still faster from butt dyno than Phearable, BUT Phearable tune from what I experienced is slow on a get go on low range. I think that it was that way to protect the CVT, but mid range that's where the tune shine. I will stay with Phearable for now for reliability and switch with TSP here and there if I want to floor someone around the highway.
Update:

Vehicle: 2021 Civic Sport CVT

Total tuned time: 1 month and 2 weeks

Tuned miles driven: about 1800 now.

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1/Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: 92 is the highest here

Additional related mods: Stock.

Driving style: Grandma to save gas, will punch it if I get provoked or someone trying cut me off.

Tuning experience notes: I compared my stage 1 Phearable OTS tune with my friend who has a 2020 Civic EX hatch CVT and tuned with stage 1 TSP but we are both stock mod. We raced in closed loop and in MEXICO. He got the first pull, but my car crept up to him on mid to higher range. He was shocked. My car also played with V6 Altimas and love seeing them behind my rear view mirror. None other than that, I drive like a damn grandma who just want to save gas.
Sponsored