The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Stats changelog: I expanded the cars with highest tuned miles driven stat to include the top 3. Added a stat showing the percentage of 1.5T non-Si and 2.0 NA models that are CVT.

More on the new stats in a bit but first something interesting has happened in the thread:

Almost since day 1 back in October 2019, one thing was pretty clear. Percentage wise, no owner group tunes their cars more than Si owners. And that's still the case. But our stats are showing an interesting change. For the first time, the 1.5 turbo vehicles are neck and neck. There are 282 Si's and 282 Non-Si 1.5T's in the thread.

For all those who say "don't tune a CVT", here's a pretty compelling stat to the contrary. The total number of base model cars in the thread (1.5T's & 2.0 NA's) is 301. Of those, 205 are CVT (68%).

The top 3 high tuned mileage cars belong to choo, dallasjhawk and vctsonicgrey. Combine, those three cars have a whopping 260,000+ tuned miles driven! And 2 of those 3 are CVT. All are non-Si 1.5T's.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hatchboost

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 6 speed
Country flag
What’s up guys, I’m finally tuned now so thought I’d chime in!

Vehicle: 2017 hatchback sport 6mt

Total tuned time: 1 months

Tuned miles driven: 3000

Tuning device(s) used: hondata flash pro race

Tunes used: High octane, Mishimoto SRI +6

Fuel used: CA 91... :(

Additional related mods: Mishimoto intake

Problems/issues: None so far

Driving style: Mmm I like hearing the turbo... and blow off... 2-6th gear pulls all day..

Tuning experience notes: First timer and great results soo far. Extra power when wanted and needed. I want to do the +9 tune but. Am not too sure on the reliability past this point.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. There are now more non-Si 1.5T's in the thread than Si's.

Instead of the base +9, have you ever considered the TSP Stage 1? It's a little softer on torque down low to help protect the drivetrain.

Last edited:

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
*UPDATED*

Vehicle: 2020 civic ST hatchback

Total tuned mileage: 8500 miles

Total tuned time: 6.5 mos

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5T non si. Sits at Stage 1 mostly for driving around but...

Fuel used: 93 premium (doesn't matter which gas station)

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: Not so much a problem as an observation I will be monitoring, but there are times when the CVT seems to have to catch back up with itself when I let off, then get back on the throttle. It feels like a transmission slip. It mostly happens after a 'downshift', like when going around a corner. However, it has also happened when I get back on the throttle while in cruise control. It may just be due to the improved throttle response because it does't happen now that I've reflashed back to factory before my first service appt.

Driving style: Normal driving but a bit agressive to stay ahead of small town traffic. Mostly running on cruise control to hold 9 over.

Notes: I'm a big fan of the elimination of turbo lag and throttle response with tuner.

MatTical

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2022 Passport Trailsport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 1 month

Tuned miles driven: 1000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 (maps 1 and 2)

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional related mods: 27WON Intake & frontpipe, ARK DT-S exhaust

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Short commutes to work, with the occasional windy road run. Rarely go WOT. Almost exclusively stay in map 1 (19psi).

Tuning experience notes: No issues with uploading the tune. Driving around to close the loop and seeing the kcon numbers unnecessarily raised my anxiety level afterward though. I have noticed the 19psi map for me runs at 21psi peak on WOT. I love not having rev-hang anymore. One weird curiosity I've noticed is my exhaust isn't as loud as it was pre-tune. I had the exhaust and frontpipe installed 3 days before I loaded the tune, so it could very well be coincidence that it was just the exhaust breaking in (?), but it could also be better fuel maps with the parts installed.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) CivicF

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where Are you all getting 93+ socal is garbage
Not in California. ;)

I'd recommend using quality 91 and topping off with a gallon or two of E85 to raise the octane level.

hatchboost

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 6 speed
Country flag
Not in California. ;)

I'd recommend using quality 91 and topping off with a gallon or two of E85 to raise the octane level.
Gahhh makes sense :(

I’ve heard of this method, I’m gonna do some research hehe..

hatchboost

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 6 speed
Country flag
Not sure about socal. Shell has 93 super unleaded in most states. I thought there were some shells with ethanol free 93 in CA though?
Mmm I’ve done some research and believe NorCal has a few higher octane stations but socal seems dry.. :(

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic SI Sedan (FC1)

Total tuned time: 9 months

Tuned miles driven: 10K Miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2 & TunerView through Honda Hacked head unit.

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5 (PRL Race MAF), Phearable 1.5 Race (PRL Race MAF)

Fuel used: Kroger 93 & E85 mix (E10) for K.Con stability after WOT. Previously BP 93 exclusively.

Additional related mods: (In order of installation)
Perrin RMM Inserts,
Removed Clutch Delay Valve from Clutch Slave Cylinder,
Custom Shifter Setup,
Amsoil Synchromesh MTF,
PRL Cobra CAI Street MAF,
27Won 90A Race RMM (Replaced Perrin RMM Inserts),
PRL Cobra Race MAF Conversion,
KTuner V1.2 + Phearable 1.5 (PRL Race MAF),
Phearable 1.5 Race (PRL Race MAF),
Ark DT-S Catback,
Started using Valvoline Full-Synthetic 5W-30,
Exedy Em2 Clutch Master Cylinder & Stainless Steel Clutch Line,
PRL Catted Street Downpipe & Frontpipe,
Competition Clutch Kit (22Lb SM Flywheel & Full-Face Organic Clutch rated @425Ft Lbs).

Problems/issues: Nothing that couldn't be overcome with elbow grease*
Grinds 2'nd gear even after shifter mods (& Amsoil Synchromesh MTF, will try new shifter cables).
3'rd gear lock-out past 6K RPM (After CMC & Clutch Kit installed).
Driver's side axle teeth sheared by diff after bad seating (Cleaned up & all is well. Replaced axle).
PRL downpipe P0138/9 CEL, disabled through tune.
Factory clutch slipped past 3K RPM with Phearable 1.5 almost immediately ("Race" slipped more).
27Won's 90A RMM causes a lot of cabin vibrations, all suppressed via fabric & velcro.
Misfires (@41K miles) prior to tuning, replaced plugs with NGK & gapped down to .026".

Driving style: Spirited. Conservative throttle below 2.5K RPM. Semi-frequent high-throttle & WOT accelerations above 3.0K RPM. Exclusively double-clutch downshifts (With good rev-matching consistency). Cautious about up-shifting hard, focused on smooth engagement. Almost exclusively kept on Map 3 in case I need the power. Map 1 used as a "Valet Mode".

Tuning experience notes: I haven't tampered with Phearable's tunes aside from adjusting traction control & "disables". The tune is perfect for the layman out of the box, but leaves enough room to personalize. The tune also has conservative timing and boost in the low RPM to save your clutch and rods. Phearable's power, reliability, and driveability is the best from the OTS tunes available. 93 (Up to E15) is recommended as you may see spikes in K.Con up to .72 with 93 after multiple WOT pulls. I achieve consistently K.Con (.48-.50) around E8 - E10 (As opposed to 93).

(Updated as of 9/8/21)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 2021-09-05 IFO NTR TheDeliSauce

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 18 SI 2020-06-17 Factory
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 18 SI 2021-01-20 Interior

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 18 SI 2021-04-02 Visors & Tires

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 18 SI 2020-12-04 Shifter Parts

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Thanks for adding your car in style! I know the community appreciates it. :thumbsup:

_HatchED_

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatchback Sport 6mt
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport HB Mt

Total tuned time: 20 months +/-

Tuned miles driven: 30k+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 (map 3 all the time)

Fuel used: 93

Additional related mods: 27Won intake, Mishimoto fmic kit, catless dp/fp, modified typeR exhaust.

Problems/issues: none

Driving style: Normal for the most part with some spirited pulls when it's cool out.

Tuning experience notes: other than needing to put the new clutch, 27Won Tip, and Si turbo I have sitting in the garage, the car is fun to drive on a daily basis.

Last edited:

CeeK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SGP Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic EX hatch

Total tuned time: 2 months

Tuned miles driven: 1500

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21

Fuel used: 93 (usually at speedway, twice from Loves)

Additional related mods: ProDrager exhaust

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning. Got used to it really quick with no adjustments. Car ran great with no issues, I'm sure I could have livened it up adjusting the quick settings though. Probably going to trade it in though, so unfortunately I don't have time to mess with anything.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I expanded the thread stats to include users with upgraded clutches, the percentage of CVTs in tuned base models and the top 3 tuned miles cars. I was surprised to see less than 16% have upgraded their clutches. That number is probably low because a lot of people haven't added thread updates. :(

Just a reminder that everyone should add a new update when changes are made.

-----------------------

Current thread stats:

Tuned cars submitted: 632

Tuned miles driven: 8,860,600 (reported)
Cars with most tuned miles: choo (101,000+);
dallasjhawk (91,000+); vctsonicgrey (70,000+)

Cars with major failures: 15 (2.4%)
Failures by tune type: Base: 7; OTS: 2; Custom: 6
Failures by model: Si: 3; Non-Si: 12; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.6%

Transmission type: CVT (206); Manual (426)
Percentage of tuned base models with CVTs: 67.9%
Upgraded/aftermarket clutches installed: 67 (15.7%)

Hondata used for tuning: 130; Race (112) Carb (18)
KTuner used for tuning: 531; V1.2 (297) V2 (234)

JB4 used as tuning device: 3
RaceChip used as tuning device: 4
Motec used as tuning device: 3

Pro custom tuned cars: 118
Base tuned only cars: 185

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (272)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (120)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (21); Phearable 1.5R (10)

Top rated pro tuners: Derek Robinson, John Vega

Submissions by model: Si (284); 1.5T Non-Si (285); Type R (44); 2.0 NA (19)

Most popular fuel used: 93 octane (326)
Users adding 1-2 gallons E85: 81
Flex fuel kits installed: 66

Cars with no added bolt ons: 197
Cars with at least one bolt on: 303
Cars running full bolt on setups: 132

Upgraded turbos installed: 43
Sponsored

Last edited: