The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

ljseppe

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic EX-T
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 civic ext cvt

Total tuned time: over a year

Tuned miles driven: 20k

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner

Tunes used: Ktuner base maps, phareable, tsp

Fuel used: 93 Ultra

Additional related mods: 27won intake, prl intercooler, 27won inlet pipe

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Spirited driving once in a while other wise normal

Tuning experience notes: was hesitant at first about tuning but once I did it was the best decision I made for the car. Keep up with maintenance and don’t brake boost and you’ll be fine.
Sponsored

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Update
Tuned miles driven: 3,500
Tuned time: 2 months
New Mods: PRL Cobra Cold air intake
Tune: Phearable1.5 with Race maf

Notes: fuel trims still similar to stock intake
Update
Tuned miles driven: 5000
Tuned time: 3 months
New tune: TSP stage 1+ Race Maf

Last edited:

Goko1020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe (Touring-CVT 2020)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Honda Civic Coupe (Touring) CVT

Total tuned time: 3wks 2.5Months!

Tuned miles driven: 6000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2 with TunerView on Phone

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Chevron 94

Additional related mods: Mishimoto Performance Intake , Mishomoto Oil Catch Can, Invidia N1 Exhaust ,Mishimoto Intercooler with Charge Pipes

Suspension mods: Eibach Pro Kit lowering Springs, Whiteline Rear Sway Bar with Accord End links, DC Front Strut bar

Problems/issues: None so far

Driving style: Grandma on the road lol.... with slight burst here and there

Tuning experience notes: Best decision ever, tuning woke the car up :)

Love from Canada IG @goko.fc3

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Goko... thanks for the tuned miles update. :thumbsup:

Vehicle: 2016 civic ext cvt
Thanks for adding you car to the thread. That's CVT #200!

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 2 Months

Tuned miles driven: ~2000 (1400 on 1.5, 600 on 1.5R)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5, Phearable 1.5R

Fuel used: Chevron 91 w/1-1.5gal E85

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI Street MAF

Problems/issues: Higher k.con that I would like, but that's due to my shitty gas, not the tunes.

Driving style: On ramp, you mean WOT ramp? My daily commute is barely long enough for my car to fully warm up though (coolant temp isn't a good indicator) so I reserve that kind of driving for the weekends.

Tuning experience notes: I have some prior tuning experience, my 8th gen Si and S2000 were both tuned by Vit via Flashpro. I was disappointed when I found out that Vit doesn't tune this platform anymore, but I have to give props to Phearable/John Vega. He answered more of my questions in a week than Vit did over the course of 2 custom etunes. I feel confident that my car is in good hands with him.

I've done a fair amount of engine work due to my profession, but these engines are so far beyond what you'd find in an aircraft that I feel more comfortable leaving it up to the pros.

-Phearable 1.5 Experience

Phearable's 1.5 tune really is a QoL improvement, even when just commuting. I don't think I could ever go back to stock. The first thing my girlfriend said after the flash was, "it's like you can drive stick again". That following weekend was the first time I didn't miss my S2000 while on a spirited drive, so it was worth it for that alone. I drove each map for about a week, and I really liked the part throttle feel of map 3. Running that much boost at WOT made me feel a little uneasy though, and the heat soak was pretty noticeable, so I settled on map 1. That's what lead to me trying the 1.5R tune. I like the idea of less boost, more timing.

-Phearable 1.5R Experience

This tune feels like a more polished version of the 1.5, and it seems like all my minor nitpicks have been addressed. Going from a stop to cruising speed in map 1 feels more effortless, like how it felt in map 3 on the 1.5, so I love that since I prefer it keep it on a lower boost map. More throttle is needed to accelerate in higher gears, which is a good thing IMO. I don't know if/what boost is limited to in 5 or 6 since I don't WOT in those gears, but a slower boost/throttle ramp makes it easier to not exceed my personal psi limit. Power at WOT in 2nd and 3rd does ramp better too, I’m not having the traction issues I was on the 1.5 tune. I also like the raised RPM limit, because it gives you an extra half second to shift after you hear the beep. Overall, I would say it’s a worthwhile upgrade.

The only issue I’ve experienced is elevated k.con, but that’s not a surprise because I’m stuck with 91oct. I need to add at least 1.5gal of e85 to keep it in the .49-.55 range, which is probably putting me closer to e18-e20. I've been told the pump I use is pretty consistently 80% E, so that's what I base my math off. The tune is stated to be compatible with up to e15, so I may need to go back down to the original 1.5 for now. I really like the feel of the 1.5R tune, so that bums me out, but I knew that was the risk I'd run without access to 93oct.

At this point I'm thinking I might get a flex fuel kit and custom tune from Phearable. I feel more comfortable with the idea of running E30 and lowish boost than 91 and high boost for the same amount of power. I also prefer to keep as much of the car stock as I can, so being able to keep the stock intercooler would be a plus.
Quick update:
I’m at about 1200 miles on the 1.5R tune and still enjoying it a lot. I purchased a Flex Fuel Kit but the company I bought it from has been a nightmare to deal with so I haven’t been able to install it.

Problems/Issues update:
Something within my exhaust has broken off and is rattling around in my left muffler. I’m assuming it’s part of the exhaust baffling. Since the exhaust is stock, I’m hoping it’ll be replaced under warranty. I would be a little surprised if the tune was the sole cause, but I could see it contributing to the failure.

SiR_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 SiR, 2018 Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 30 months

Tuned miles driven: 21,000+

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB Flashpro

Tunes used: Custom base map.

Fuel used: 91 pump gas

Additional related mods: PRL cobra intake, PRL dp/fp(now removed due to neighbor complaints/cop visits), Now Rev9 intercooler was PRL. Hasport RRM. Cusco Type R Strut Tower. Slowly removing most mods to go about building a second motor.

Problems/issues: High Pressure Fuel pump went out after 6,000 miles

Driving style: Drive like an 80yr old man till.

Tuning experience notes: A lot easier than it use to be. Hondata makes it pretty easy to tweak just about everything.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

slowRthanU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 civic hatch
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Honda Civic hatch Sport 6spd

Total tuned time: 1 day

Tuned miles driven: 20 (960 miles total on vehicle)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 93, chevron 93, sunoco 93

Additional related mods: STOCK for awhile. Intercooler, intake soon.

Problems/issues: None so far. Lol time will tell

Driving style: Mellow with aggressive spurts every now and then.

Tuning experience notes:

Phearable is an amazing tuner. The car feels so much more responsive and this is in their medium boost level. More to follow!

Ktuner: is something that takes getting use to. Watch some YouTube videos before taking the plunge.

ParthM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Sport HB CVT

Total tuned time: 15 months

Tuned miles driven: ~8,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 91

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI Street MAF, Whiteline 22m RSB, DC Sports Strut bar

Driving style: Normal for the most part with some speedy bursts

Tuning experience notes: Tuning completely changed this car and I love hearing the intake so loudly now. My favorite part is how flexible it is with on the fly map switching and eco mode. I generally drive in map 3, but lately I've been doing map 2 which feels really smooth. Think I might switch to Phearable soon. My friend also has the same car and has kept it stock but he loves driving my car.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Think I might switch to Phearable soon. My friend also has the same car and has kept it stock but he loves driving my car.
I ran the TSP 1 non-Si for a long time. Great tune, but Phearable has it beat for a couple reasons.

#1. It's just silky smooth. As good as TSP is, this feels even more refined.

#2. The boost spacing on the 3 maps. I really like the 15/20/24 setup Phearable uses (versus TSP's Factory/16.5/23.5 setup).

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate that. If memory serves, I think you also had a 10th gen Si before the CTR. :drive:

Aznleesta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si - Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civc Si - Sedan

Total tuned time: 12 months

Tuned miles driven: 5k

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata RACE Flashpro, currently using KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata +9psi, currently on Phearable 1.5 with Ktuner V2

Fuel used: Shells 91, Kwik Trip 91 w/ 1.5 gallon e85, BP 93.

Additional related mods:
PRL Cobra Race CAI
PRL Intercooler with Charge Pipes
PRL Catless Down Pipe v2
MAPerformance Front Pipe
MAPerformance Street Exhaust
Acuity Short Shifter Assembly
D2 Springs

Driving style: Semi-aggressive pulls here and there

Tuning experience notes:
Phearable 1.5 was much smoother than the Hondata +9psi base map. The power was also great with the bolt ons. Unfortunately, clutch started to slip. Car is currently down for a clutch shipment (down for two months now). Read my thread if you would like to see the new mods and plans for the car!

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/2020-honda-civic-si-build-plan.63415/

Update 07/08/2021:

Total tuned time: One week

Tuned Miles Driven: 2k

Tune: Custom Tune by Drob

Fuel Used: BP 93 and Kwik Trip E85 for E30 blend

New Mods (Still have posted mods from above):
PRL Big Turbo Kit GTX2867r Gen 2
PRL Flex Fuel Kit
Retro CTR Clutch

Tuning experience notes:
This custom tune is great! With the "bigger" turbo's lag its almost like having vtec. Boost does not really kick in until 4800+ rpm. On the 1000 mile drive home, I managed to hit 40mpg!

Last edited:

Twills97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: around 4 months, 3 of them being cold air, winter time

Tuned miles driven: around 6k

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP 1

Fuel used: shell 93 vpower

Additional related mods: mishimoto short ram

Problems/issues: other than when hot, knock control seems to creep up if I stay in map 3, if I change to map 2 or 1 it seems to go back down.

Afr at idle on start up is between 14.6 to 15.0, when I come to a stop at a red light it stays at 12.2 to 13, then after about 15 seconds goes back up to normal. Also when I'm cruising, if I let go of the gas, then barly hit the gas to stay at speed, it goes to 12 then just like at the red light goes back to 14.6 after about 5 secs. Have no idea what this could be.

Driving style: spirited, only about 50% of the time, unless someone wants some gapplebees haha

Tuning experience notes: love the tune, wakes the car up bigtime. Kinda boring when I go back to the stock tune.

Going to be buying the tsp 1+ tune now, and gonna watch my numbers. I'm probably gonna have to buy a Intercooler soon, been thinking about going back to the stock intake until I can buy the Intercooler and the 27won Cai!

Like Quote Reply
Update;
Traded the car in for a 21 Civic Type R on April 22nd.
When traded in, total tuned miles were around 15,000ish
No problems really, aggressive driving almost 75% of the time, clutch started to make some noise while pulling off. Other than that, A/R was a little wacky coming to a stop. Or when releasing throttle and then pressing throttle again. Would run Rich then settle back to the norm, 14.7-15. Ran amazing, finished with TSP1 no other mods when traded than otherwise listed above.
Plan to keep the CTR Stock. Might change my mind in the future, My lil boy was born on the 5th of May, aka 2 days ago, so he is where my attention will be for awhile, take care you all. Was a great informative thread, will be back once/if ctr is tuned in the future. Bless you all and keep chasing th Honda Haters!!! ?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the new car and on your baby boy. And thanks for the update. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited: