The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

ALIAFZAL95

First Name
Ali
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Rs
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 CIVIC 1.5t CVT

Total tuned time: 10 months

Tuned miles driven: 10,000+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Drob custom tune

Fuel used: Shell v power plus ethanol

Additional related mods:
FBO

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: aggressive

Tuning experience notes: My experience has been stellar, car has been driven daily since tuned. No problems what so ever

Advertisement

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Current thread stats and info

Total tuned cars submitted: 574

Total tuned miles driven: 8,028,860 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: choo (101,000+)

Cars with major failures: 15 (2.6%)
Failures by model: Si: 3; non-Si: 12; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.4%

Transmission type: CVT (182); Manual (392)

Hondata used for tuning: 121; Race (105) Carb (16)
KTuner used for tuning: 480; V1.2 (271) V2 (209)

JB4 used as tuning device: 3
RaceChip used as tuning device: 4
Motec used as tuning device: 3

Pro custom tuned cars: 109
Base tuned only cars: 170

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (254)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (95)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (11); Phearable 1.5R (5)

Top rated pro tuners: Derek Robinson, John Vega

Submissions by model: Si (261); 1.5T Non-Si (254); Type R (41); 2.0 NA (18)

Most popular fuel: 93 octane (300)
Flex fuel users: 60

Cars with no added bolt ons: 185
Cars with at least one bolt on: 272
Cars running full bolt on setups: 117

Upgraded turbos installed: 40

Notes: The most installed bolt ons are intakes, intercoolers, downpipes and exhaust systems. Full bolts ons (for purposes of this thread) consist of downpipe, frontpipe, intercooler and intake at a minimum. "Base tuned only" means an out of the box KTuner or Hondata tune was used exclusively; no canned tune from Phearable, TSP or other vendors was ever used.

Major Failures: 2 of the cars had failed CVT's (both replaced under warranty). 1 car had faulty injectors and a blown head gasket. 1 car blew an engine running an E35/meth setup. 1 car blew an engine on the racetrack. 1 car blew an engine when the owner mistakenly used non-race gas with a tune designed specifically for race gas. 1 owner had a major failure on a used car he purchased. 1 owner admitted he abused his car and destroyed his engine. 1 CVT turbo owner used a high power stage 2 Powermetric flex fuel tune w/full bolt ons and blew his motor. 1 owner had his CVT replaced under warranty (damaged by high power ethanol tune); the new CVT has been trouble free for 70,000+ tuned miles. 1 car threw a rod under "iffy" circumstances according to it's owner (possible abuse/user error). 1 owner destroyed his CVT after some track time in 100° weather. 1 car had a bent connecting rod but there were many factors (neglect) beyond the tune. 1 car bent a rod while doing WOT datalogging for a custom remote tune (had run meth for a short time as well). 1 car blew a CVT after serious neglect/abuse with numerous brake launches and burnouts.

Lesser Issues: There's been some issues reported here and there with the stock clutch, the CVT, a couple injector replacements and some fuel trim and knock control funkiness (depending on intake and gas used). None of these issues were catastrophic.

Observations: From the cars added so far, base and canned tunes (on a more or less stock 10th gen) appear to be fairly safe. Properly tuned, adding bolt-ons can be reliable, too. The issues seem to happen most often when power output is pushed too high, owners attempt to self-tune too aggressively, or there is some abuse or neglect involved.

Summary: There is no doubt that a tune is the single best power-based performance mod. Having said that, tuning does add additional stress. Long term reliability can be compromised if you tune for ultimate power (on stock internals) and push your car to the limit often. Use common sense and your tuning experience should go well.

Important info regarding updates: Since this is an ongoing thread, please add a new post from time to time. Use that new post to show additional tuned miles driven, changes to your tune setup, changed mods, issues that occur and new tuning experience notes. That way, we can keep the thread as accurate and up to date as possible. - gtman

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: Since 200 miles, 7 months

Total tuned mileage: 1400miles 2300 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Motec M142

Tunes used: Ben from Salasko Racing

Fuel used: 93 and E85 blends from e30 to e85

Additional engine mods: Full Race EFR 7163 turbo, G30-770 Turbo, Port Injection, 3" exhaust, custom intake, stock efr wastegate Turbosmart Electric Gate. Custom 3" downpipe, V Band

Problems/issues: full race wastegate bracket bends. Switched back to canister style gate. Found out it was not the wastegate system but instead the turbo was surging. This is the reason the power kind of lays over during spool up. EFR turbo kits NEEED the SXE cover option and you will spool 30 psi by 3700 rpm. (if you wanted)

Driving style: Has fun. Plenty of boosting and spirited driving.

Tuning experience notes: All is well 27 psi e85 The g30-770 spools at 4100 rpm on gasoline, about 150 rpm sooner on ethanol. 21 psi maxes out the pump pretty much the whole time in testing with just direct injection. I have to add port injection the whole rpm range on just 21 psi. She is moving some air. Traction control is pissed in all gears 1-3 with stock tires.
Car made 452 on pump gas 24 psi, 573 whp on 32-33 psi peak with E85R Sunoco fuel. To keep a rod friendly flat torque curve of 440tq, we implemented artificial boost creep

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
573 whp on 32-33 psi peak with E85R Sunoco fuel. To keep a rod friendly flat torque curve of 440tq, we implemented artificial boost creep
That is some incredible power. Jaw dropping really. And your tuner is saying that type of peak boost is safe long term?

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That is some incredible power. Jaw dropping really. And your tuner is saying that type of peak boost is safe long term?
290whp over stock surly cant be good long term, i wont be surprised it it let go during a pull. I plan on building it before it happends so it doesn't take the block/crank and maybe the head out with it.

FaceNachos

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI (FC1)

Total tuned time: 3 months

Tuned miles driven: ~5,000 tuned (~17,000 total)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 93 only

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI w/ street maf

Driving style: Fairly tame when commuting with spirited spurts.

Tuning experience notes: The only thing that can be considered an issue is the 2020 K-Tuner throttle response delay. It makes me feel like I don't know how to drive. I rev match a perfect downshift into 2nd gear and then my car bucks from the delay. So you put on rev hang but that's just as annoying. Still WAY better than stock. Really feels great and adds to driving experience.

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only thing that can be considered an issue is the 2020 K-Tuner throttle response delay. It makes me feel like I don't know how to drive. I rev match a perfect downshift into 2nd gear and then my car bucks from the delay.
Doesn't a softer than standard throttle padding help fix that?

Last edited:

FaceNachos

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Doesn't a softer throttle padding fix that?
That I'm not sure of. I haven't messed with anything yet. I remember reading it was only an issue on the 2020 models and it was a K-Tuner issue not a "tune" issue but I can't remember where I read that or found a source to remedy it. I have been meaning to plug the tuner back in and activate the Advanced VSA settings as well. So I will have to change the throttle padding then too and see if that helps. Thanks!

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan 6MT (2.0L)

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 2000 (approximately)

Current mileage: 26,500 (approximately)

Tune used: KTuner Base map

Additional mods: AFE power takeda oiled short ram intake, Michelin A/S 3+, active exhaust before muffler (muffler delete)

Problems/Issues: Still slow :p A/C problems - fixed under warranty. Driver-side axle replaced after "knocking" and "clicking" sounds while turning fully at slow speeds - fixed under warranty (premature failure most like due to many hard launches and reverse donuts, 0 reverse donuts (for probably ever) and very few hard launches on new axle so far)

Fuel Used: 93 Octane since tune requires 91+ (Mostly Costco/Shell fuel), previous was mix between 87-93.

Driving style: Very aggressive and more spirited driving almost daily since day 1. WOT pulls from 1st and 2nd almost every drive after tune. Rarely WOT on highway bc slow, rarely go above 85. A few pulls in Mexico to 130. Rarely WOT in 3rd, 4th, 5th. Race digs and rolls occasionally. TX2K meant a few minutes of driving between 100-130 in Mexico. Half city, half highway miles, go very easy on highway commutes. Have done autocross style driving. When not on throttle, drive like your grandma (less than 2k rpm).

DISCLAIMER: Since day 1 I have been launching the car to redline, even before break-in period (Yes I know I am an idiot, I didn't know the break-in period was so important as this is my first manual car). I have done reverse donuts in this car, never held at redline. I have done tray donuts in this car, never held at redline. Stopped doing donuts because that's idiotic. I will update this as I go. I know I am hard on my car, I drive it like it's a racecar. I take full responsibility for anything that goes wrong. I have since learned to take care of the car, treat it properly, and do frequent inspections to make sure everything is okay.

Last edited:

Imnotorginal

First Name
AO
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic SI

Total tuned time: 10 months

Tuned miles driven: 9000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 93

Additional related mods: No other mods until today (just installed PRL Cobra CAI)

Driving style: In the beginning I was in map3 sport mode every time I got into the car. WOT at least once a drive. That slowly died down where my daily would be map2 regular mode. If I knew some good roads were coming, I hit sport mode. Now, the only time I ever go into map3 is when I line up at a light with another modded car.

Tuning experience notes: Knock on wood, haven't had a single issue. Definitely is the best bang for buck mod. All the instructions are straightforward and user friendly. Plus a million how to videos on YouTube. Pay the 20 bucks to hack your head unit so you can get the ktuner display on your radio. Definitely worth it.

paulxgen

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic EX MsM

Total tuned time: 40 months+

Tuned miles driven: 27000+

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro Race

Tunes used: Hondata +6 and SRI setting

Fuel used: Costco premium

Additional related mods: PRL SRI w/ Afe Pro 5RS Filter

Problems/issues: None. Just a lot of fun!

Driving style: Slight above speed limit normally and random pulls when feeling edgy.

Tuning experience notes: Pretty new to tuning in general. Leased a 2017 Civic EX-L a few years ago and found a super cheap Hondata RACE and started researching and tuning. Loving it ever since!!

Traded in for my current Civic and swapped everything over. Will be doing light suspension mods and engine tunes, nothing too crazy. Never had a turbo car or done any tuning but it was pretty easy and straightforward.

PICS:

IMG_4562.jpg

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for adding your experience with your cars. Great pic by the way.

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

SI(ck)Civic

First Name
Charles
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
Just got my ktuner, will post stats once I’ve driven more and landed on a tune I’ll be set on for a while.

Quick question; I did a datalog for the first run, in the log it shows that I had a couple misfires in cylinder 2/3/4. The log was 7 minutes long. I was on the dual factory/19.5 tune and, from what I can tell, the misfires happened on prior to the 19.5 runs. Is this normal? Should I be worried??

appreciate the insight!

Wiros

First Name
Xavier
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Fk2 (RIP), 2018 FK7 Civic X sport plus
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport Plus (european) Stick shift

Total tuned time: 12 months

Tuned miles driven: 10000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 98 (exclusively)

Additional related mods:

• SiriMoto Phase 2 Strut bar front
  • LAILE BEATRUSH Strut tower bar rear
  • H&R springs
  • 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5T Silicone Breather Hose Kit
  • SPOON FK FRONT STIFF PLATE BRACE
  • SPOON RIGID COLLAR FRONT AND REAR
  • SPOON FK7 BRAIDED BRAKE HOSE SET
  • SPOON FK7 BRAIDED CLUTCH SLAVE HOSE
  • 27WON 2016+ Civic Turbo Performance Downpipe
  • 27WON Honda Civic-X Rear Motor Mount
  • 27WON Honda Civic-X Cold air intake
  • intercooler MISHIMOTO
  • Brembo brakes
  • Catback Invidia Q300 Civic 1.5T FK7

Problems/issues: None (ok, clutch will be needed as soon as i get a bit more power, slips a little when going hard on mountain roads)

Driving style: speedy and a bit aggressive

pics, timeslips, videos, etc...

civicvldcs-1-2lum.jpg

civicvldcs-1.jpg

civicvldcs-1-4lum.jpg
AnCar.jpg

AnCar-9.jpg

Last edited:

Advertisement

Advertisement