The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport touring cvt

Total tuned time: day

Tuned miles driven: 350 miles. car has 90359

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: BP or Mobil 93.

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: None. Just flashed recently

Driving style: Spirited driving

Tuning experience notes: None

Love the tune so far. Phearable fixed the idle big time and the car has amazing power. Before tuning with a/c off the engine has a harsh idle that vibrates everything. Now it is barely noticeable and idles just under 800.

pics are from when I got the car but it is dirty and looks the same.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 491ADB6E-BE10-4809-9070-D1A330953E37

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) D1000198-1484-4930-AC06-62BAFDB36EBC

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. Add an update when you add more tuned (s)miles.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of updates...

I see people posting about getting a new tune, adding bolt-ons or switching fuel every day here at the forum in other threads. And that's cool to read about. But the thing is, if you've added your car to this thread you should also add a new post HERE so I can keep the tuning stats and info accurate.

That's a win for the community because having an updated, centralized tuning experience/reliability thread helps everyone.

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic 1.5t sedan (cvt)

total tuned time: about a year

total tuned mileage: 10,000

tuning module: Ktuner v1.2

tunes used: tsp stage 1

engine mods: 27 won intake and intercooler

problems/issues: none (car has almost 100k miles)

driving style: aggressive, drive like a grandma around town or in public, go out of town to the hills/forest and let her rip on the curvy roads almost everyday!

icemansi

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2009 Fit Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 SI sedan

Total tuned time: 1 year

Tuned miles driven: 4000

Tuning device(s) used: FlashPro 1.2V

Tunes used: FlashPro base maps, TSP stage 1 and currently Stage 1 +

Fuel used: 93 (anywhere around the house)

Additional related mods: PRL SRI

Problems/issues: clutch slipping with the stage 1, no clutch issues with stage 1 +

Driving style: normal with some fun

Tuning experience notes:
Only used base maps for like a week. Tsp tunes really woke the car up. Stage 1 + feels like a stock car with out rev hang. Can’t beat the sounds out of the SRI

WoahItsACivic

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T CVT Civic
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: ~8 months

Tuned miles driven: Not too sure but if I had to guess around 10k

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Race

Tunes used: Unfortunately base maps but I do want to go custom soon

Fuel used: 91 Shell (Cali problems)

Additional related mods: Currently running a race MAF PRL intake, PRL intercooler and pipes, Function & Form type 2 coilovers, rear sway bar and end links, mishi catch can, and finally a magnaflow catback exhaust. I have a 27won Strut bar and hasport rmm coming rn.

Problems/issues: No real big problems, I watch numbers a lot. The only thing I've encountered is a lot of knocking from the 2nd cylinder only and I'm trying to find a reason why. This hasn't affected performance that I can tell but it is something I want to be on top of. Also I get a power steering light on the dash occasionally but I attribute this to using a bigger rim/tire setup.

Driving style: Daily work driving with some longer trips, occasional rolling pulls and spirited driving. Nothing dumb.

Tuning experience notes:
This has been the first car I've done work on and it's been such a blast to see it transform. I worry a lot about the engine and CVT so I probably wont be adding any more performance mods unless I can find proof it's safe to do so.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Current thread stats and info (as of 3/7/21):

Total tuned cars submitted: 547

Total tuned miles driven: 7,674,410 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: choo (101,000+)

Cars with major failures: 15 (2.8%)
Failures by model: Si: 3; non-Si: 12; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.2%

Transmission type: CVT (173); Manual (374)

Hondata used for tuning: 116; Race (101) Carb (15)
KTuner used for tuning: 455; V1.2 (260) V2 (195)

JB4 used as tuning device: 3
RaceChip used as tuning device: 4
Motec used as tuning device: 3

Pro custom tuned cars: 107
Base tuned only cars: 160

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (248)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (80)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (8); Phearable 1.5R (4)

Top rated pro tuners: Derek Robinson, John Vega

Submissions by model: Si (249); 1.5T Non-Si (239); Type R (41); 2.0 NA (18)

Most popular fuel: 93 octane (285)
Flex fuel users: 57

Cars with no added bolt ons: 174
Cars with at least one bolt on: 260
Cars running full bolt on setups: 113

Upgraded turbos installed: 40

Observations: From the cars added so far, base and canned tunes (on a more or less stock 10th gen) appear to be fairly safe. Properly tuned, adding bolt-ons can be reliable, too. The issues seem to happen most often when power output is pushed too high, owners attempt to self-tune too aggressively, or there is some abuse or neglect involved. It's also clear that non-Si 1.5T models (CVT's especially) have a lower tolerance for abuse.

heyheyfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic hatchback sport 2017 6-MT
Country flag
Vehicle: Honda Civic Hatchback sport 2017 MT

Total tuned time: 3 years

Tuned miles driven: 39,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flash pro

Tunes used: 90% of the time use flash pro "+6 psi high octane, Injen CAI" the other 10% is +9 PSI.

Fuel used: 91 octane

Additional related mods: Injen CAI and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust

Problems/issues: With the first year of using the tune from flashpro some random minor problem. When the car starts up the dash lid up like Christmas. It randomly fixes itself or have to recalibrate the tune to get rid of the lights. That was like two years ago and I never had that problem again.

Driving style: normal or random happy feet

ergoodfellow

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Hatchback 6mt with 30k miles

Total tuned time: 1.5 months

Total tuned mileage: 2,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata +6 daily, +9 for an afternoon every now and then

Additional engine mods: None for now.

Clutch: Stock, slipping

Problems/issues: I've had this car less than a year. I am waiting until the warranty is over to do any significant engine mods. Got hondata less than 2 months ago. Clutch is starting to slip at 30k miles. Started slipping on the +6, so I flashed back to stock and it is still slipping. I am a pretty aggressive driver, and taught multiple people how to drive stick in my car, so the clutch definitely took a little bit of a beating. Still thought it would last longer than 30k, but apparently the stock clutches aren't very durable. Other than that, I am lucky to say I have no other issues.

WhosClunk

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update #3: Flashed back to stock due to possible transmission issues

Vehicle: 2017 Sedan LX (2.0L)CVT

Total tuned time: 19 months

Total tuned mileage: 30,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Only one tune available for this car; Stage 1, lowers VTEC to 5300 RPM. Was initially lowered to 5600, but they put out a new update to give us 300rpm more of VTEC

Fuel used: 91 octane only from major gas stations (Chevron, Esso, Shell etc.)

Additional engine mods: Nothing

Problems/issues: I started to notice a very strong "jerking/jolting" motion from the transmission, especially at low speeds. This wasn't present before or at least wasn't noticeable and had gotten worse. When I would slow down to around 30km/h then get on the gas it jolt and shake. In stop and go traffic it was really annoying feeling that jolt all the time. I had changed the CVT fluid a few months prior which did help, but the issue was still there. Flashed back to stock and after a few hundred km of driving, the issue is basically gone. Every once in a while I might feel a very slight jolt, but with the tune it was everyday. I did have the highest throttle responsiveness setting if that matters at all.

Driving style: Before the issue: Mostly chill driving and some spirted driving here and there. Afterwards, I pretty much only drove like grandma.
Update #3: Flashed back to stock due to possible transmission issues

Vehicle: 2017 Sedan LX (2.0L)CVT

Total tuned time: 19 months

Total tuned mileage: 30,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Only one tune available for this car; Stage 1, lowers VTEC to 5300 RPM. Was initially lowered to 5600, but they put out a new update to give us 300rpm more of VTEC

Fuel used: 91 octane only from major gas stations (Chevron, Esso, Shell etc.)

Additional engine mods: Nothing

Problems/issues: I started to notice a very strong "jerking/jolting" motion from the transmission, especially at low speeds. This wasn't present before or at least wasn't noticeable and had gotten worse. When I would slow down to around 30km/h then get on the gas it jolt and shake. In stop and go traffic it was really annoying feeling that jolt all the time. I had changed the CVT fluid a few months prior which did help, but the issue was still there. Flashed back to stock and after a few hundred km of driving, the issue is basically gone. Every once in a while I might feel a very slight jolt, but with the tune it was everyday. I did have the highest throttle responsiveness setting if that matters at all.

Driving style: Before the issue: Mostly chill driving and some spirted driving here and there. Afterwards, I pretty much only drove like grandma.
I have the same issue on throttle response II and tbh I got used to it just gotta be very light on throttle but the car is very jumpy on II. I think it’s probably just the excessive throttle response causing it not the power gains.

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
I have the same issue on throttle response II and tbh I got used to it just gotta be very light on throttle but the car is very jumpy on II. I think it’s probably just the excessive throttle response causing it not the power gains.
It's possible it was the throttle setting for sure, but Im staying stock now until I sell it. Looking to upgrade to the Si soon.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Even on the turbo models when you crank the throttle response all the way up it's way too jumpy. I found it fun at first but scaling it back a bit gives a smoother feel.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
UPDATE #4:
Vehicle: 2017 Civic SI

Total tuned time: 2.7yrs, 31 months (previously 24)

Total tuned mileage: ~35,000miles
(was ~29,000 In previous post)

Tuning device(s) used:
(Hondata flashpro, currently using KTuner v1.2)

Tunes used:
(Currently on a custom flex tune from
D-Rob using ktuner. Custom tune on Hondata, Hondata +9psi, KTuner dual 19.5 and 23 psi map)

Fuel used: Mainly E30 blended with 93

Additional engine mods:
(5w30 oil, Flex fuel kit, Prl big turbo gtx2060R,
Prl Cobra CAI, Prl intercooler and charge pipes, catless downpipe, frontpipe, takeda 3-2 1/2in exhaust, fx400 with single mass lightweight flywheel)

Problems/issues: Nothing new to report

(Had a over boost issue on the first day after I put the turbo kit on. Has since been corrected and has not cropped up again.
On hondata +9 psi, engine went into limp mode about 3 times within 2 week period. Seemed to happen when I suddenly let off the throttle after WOT between 4k-5k rpms. Turning the engine off and then back on fixed the issue. Havent had this issue crop up again since then.)

Driving style:
My day to day driving style is a mix between aggressive, spirited driving and relaxed cruising depending on the type of road. Plenty of WOT pulls every day

Tuning experience notes: 45,000 on odometer.
From the day I got the car till now, my driving style has not changed. The SI has been tuned and driven hard for the majority of its life.
I put 35k tuned miles but there are a few thousand unaccounted for because the car was already tuned when i got it at ~10k.
Up until now, my goal was to see for myself how well the block would last with a lot of aggressive driving but no actual abuse. I've never really been worried about the motor blowing because, imo, I felt like a lot of those cases were from driver error.

At least for under 350whp, I feel like I've proven it to myself that the block will last and not immediately grenade itself. Especially since majority will not drive the way I have been.
So with that being said, I've decided to finally have the built shortblock I've been sitting on for like a year installed. My original goal (First post) was to get to atleast 400whp. And I feel its about time to get there.
Following in the footsteps of a few other members, I plan on using the NAperforance fuel system and converting my prl turbo kit back to the V1 to achieve this.

jackpott22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si - Rallye Red - FC3 - Phearable ETune
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 10 months

Tuned miles driven: 5200

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v2

Tunes used: Ktuner 19.5 basemap (for like a day), Custom tuned (issue with tune and no longer use), TSP Stage 1, Phearable 1.5, and I am currently on Phearable 1.5r (map 1 only till upgraded clutch)

Fuel used: Mobil 1 93 ONLY

Additional related mods: 27won CAI, 27won TIP, Mishimoto Intercooler (stock piping), AWE Touring Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, Enkei RPF1s

Problems/issues: Issue with reverse gear lockout not releasing properly and was fixed at dealer under warranty.

Driving style: If I hit boost its because I had to, not because I was trying to. Aka I drive like a spirited grandma. If I give it the beans I strictly roll into throttle past 3k rpms.

Tuning experience notes: Made 246 hp / 278 tq @ 22psi on dynojet with the "custom tune". So I suppose that is what my 2020 Si Stock clutch can hold? Oopsie.

giffSnacks

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic SI

Total tuned time: Just under one year

Tuned miles driven: 12,000+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21 w/aggressive quick adjustments; TSP Stage 1, mostly map 2

Fuel used: 91 from various gas stations

Additional related mods: 27won front pipe, and down pipe. Cobra CAI

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Mostly laid back highway driving, with some spirited driving on back roads.

Tuning experience notes: I've had no problems with my clutch slipping, but I dont really beat on my car. TSP stage 1 made the car a lot more fun to drive, it should have come from the factory this way.
Sponsored