The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Hatch Sport Touring CVT

Total tuned time: 3 days

Tuned miles driven: Have 7170 miles total, 100 TUNED

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V2

Tunes used: Starter dual/21 psi . Using 3 OTF tunes, setup with gtmans parameters see :
My KTuner experience - an ongoing journal | Page 16 | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com post # 227

Fuel used: Shell 93 , since car was new

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: None .

Driving style: Spirted , I don't poke . I don't flog the crap out of either .

Tuning experience notes: Couldn't get over the difference , best money Iv'e ever spent on a mod.

Mini update ,

Wasn't going to do the full info sheet , since I just posted my first one last week.

Last night switched over to the TSP stage one that came with my purchase of the Ktuner V2 .

For now , I can say my assessment of TSP stage one is Tit for tat with gtmans . Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si) | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update, Icebear.

Here's something really important and your post is a perfect example. If anyone posts an update, there's no need to do another full "info sheet".

Just post what changed. Additional miles, different tune used, etcetera. It's easier for you and in some ways, easier for me.

Just a suggestion though. Any update, however you post it, is great (and helps). :thumbsup: The tuned miles updates are key in documenting tuning reliability.

Bottom line, even if people only add a new update once or twice a year, it would help. The problem is, a good portion of people posting their cars in the thread are one and done. :confused:

Last edited:

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 1 day

Tuned miles driven: 50km tuned/ 950km total

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: Chevron 94

Additional related mods: completely stock besides Ktuner v1.2

Problems/issues: None so far

Driving style: pretty calm and cautious, Rarely ever red lined or rev past 6k rpm.

Tuning experience notes: First tuned car was my old 99 civic hatch with an lsvtec swap with a tune done by John Vega from @phearable . Loved the tune from him back in the day. Then in 2017 I bought a brand new FK7 hatch and bought a Hondata flashpro at around 10,000kms. I switched between the +6 and +9 tune and really loved the low end grunt. Ended up selling the car at 35,000kms with zero issues runnin those tunes. Now I’m back with a 2020 Si and hopped on the KTuner train and saw John Vega/Phearable was now in the game with the Civic X platform and how could I not go back to him with my new car 10 years later. The 1.5 tune is super smooth, almost makes the stock tune feel choppy and crunchy if you know what I mean. I’ll be updating once I get some more time with the car but for the 50kms I did drive it feels amazing and the advanced VSA by KTuner really throws the power to the ground.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@gtman has been bugging me for a few years to now to post here lol
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 57D0D0BE-F1A3-4087-BCBC-76B26D276955

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@gtman has been bugging me for a few years to now to post here lol
Better late than never.

Hey, it only took you a year and a half. :thumbsup:

The 1.5 tune is super smooth, almost makes the stock tune feel choppy and crunchy if you know what I mean.
I'm with you on the Phearable 1.5 tune. Silky smooth.

Last edited:

Spade

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport (cvt)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatch Sport CVT

Total tuned time: 3 days

Tuned miles driven: 250

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: (Phearable stage 1.5) with number 1 and 2 settings. have not used setting 3 yet. also I have only used the phearable tune. never flashed base ktuner tunes.

Fuel used: Shell 93, and going to test Ethanol-free 93 oct on next fill up.

Additional related mods: drop-in K&N filter

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Very cautious most of the time with occasional bat out of hell.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first time tuning a car. I have done a little bit of mechanical work on previous cars and I like to change my own fluids. That being said this was very different from mechanical and I was pretty nervous at first but once I started driving and realized that everything was fine I felt good about it. For the first 30 minutes on the closed-loop of phearable I drove very conservatively. Once that was over I used the number 1 setting and did a couple of pulls. The first thing I noticed was how smooth the engine felt. EVERYONE says this about the tune but it's hard to understand until you actually feel the difference. It feels like the engine glides through the RPMs better than stock from Honda. Hard to describe but it feels very nice. AND THE CAR PULLS!!! so much fun. I have been running it in setting 2 most of the time.

One important thing I have been pretty cautious with it as I need to change my CVT fluid. I just bought the car at a little over 32k miles. Certified Pre-Owned and Honda didn't bother doing a CVT fluid change. Didn't find this out until going up to the Honda service center and requesting the maintenance records. (the previous owner had all his maintenance done there) Although unlikely I don't want to cause any damage to the CVT as this is my DD and I commute about 500 miles a week to work. Waiting for HCF-2 fluid to come in then I will be changing it and testing some serious rips. haven't done any more than WOT starting from less than 30mph yet.
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 46734B37-8C0D-4AD2-B6C0-81ADD6B99EF1
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 2CE1ECF4-54FE-4810-A6A1-1C96836F12FB

Last edited:

Mr.Apex

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 SI Sedan

Total tuned time: 1 Year

Tuned miles driven: 10,000+

Tuning device used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: All Ktuner Base maps landed on OEM+/21PSI for about 9500 miles now currently using the Phearable Stage 1.5 Race MAF.

Fuel used: Shell or Chevron 91 exclusively

Additional related mods: Was bone stock on the Ktuner maps but did a PRL Race intake when i upgraded to Phearable

Problems/issues: None that were tuning related.

Driving style: Slightly aggressive on off and on ramps.

Tuning experience notes: Ktuner 100% wakes up the stock SI and really enjoyed the extra boost at the push of a button. Have always had troubles driving this car in first and second though despite my 20+ years of stick driving and racing. The Phearable tune is soooo much easier and smoother on me and the car while still packing a potent punch. Base maps tended to be too punchy and boost happy in lower revs with little to no effort. I do miss the Sport mode map switching though it was just too easy and convenient but im never going back.

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Howdy after a few months I'd figure I'd finally post in here.

Vehicle: 2018 Sport Hatchback CVT

Time Tuned: About 3 1/2 months

Tuned Miles Driven: about 6-7k

Tuning Device Used: Ktuner V2

Tunes Used: Dual Map 21psi with enables, quick adjustments, and BBG. Currently writing this while flashing the car with the new Artificial Knock Disable and some minor changes to the factory mode.

Fuel Used: Consistently Wawa or RaceTrac 93, 7-11 93 if I'm not by either of those.

Related Mods: PRL Cobra Intake

Issues/Problems: Had some odd days of high knock when just cruising, but chalking that up to the artificial knock so we'll see with this new tune.

Driving Style: Economy commuter in traffic, aggressive in open areas

Additional Tuning Notes: This is my first car I've ever tuned and every time I get moving on tune it reminds me how much I love it. Hoping to be close to if not at FBO by the end of the year when I'll probably spring for a custom tune to really push the car up. Shoutout @gtman for always giving good advice and helping me set up my first few tunes.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Blake, thanks for the post.

As far as elevated knock control when just cruising, it's possible it's just a bad batch of gas. The artificial knock control rise only happens when you rev past 5200 rpm.

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Blake, thanks for the post.

As far as elevated knock control when just cruising, it's possible it's just a bad batch of gas. The artificial knock control rise only happens when you rev past 5200 rpm.
Word, it would explain why in the past few months it's only happened three times. Will have to add pics when I pull them off my other SD card as well.

Th3HighLif3

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Si

Total tuned time: Just at about a year

Tuned miles driven: 20,000

Tuning device(s) used: K Tuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner 23 psi basemap, TSP Stage 1 (map 3), KTuner 23psi w/ flex fuel enabled

Fuel used: Shell V-Nitro 93oct (This is the only fuel I put in the car) .49-.54 Kctrl (.54 map 3 sport mode on a cold day, I have seen it in the .6x on a warmer day for extended pulls) / Shell 93 mixed in with a few gallons of shell e85 - running a 24-31% ethanol mix

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI with race MAF, PRL Intercooler and intercooler piping, Invidia catted downpipe, Invidia front pipe, Invidia R400 Gemini Exhaust, PRL Flex Fuel Kit, ACT Street Organic clutch and flywheel, KZCMC

Problems/issues: Stock clutch started to slip as expected after I installed the flex fuel kit

Driving style: It’s my daily so it see’s all kind of action. Cruising through the city, flying down the highway, having some competition against myself on the backroads. No dead stop launches, I do get rolling in first then mash it, a lot of rolling pulls.

Tuning experience notes: *original*Tuning is definitely one of the best bang for buck things you can do for performance. The car was totally different after tuning, and I mean that in a really good way. Noticeable power, response, and drivability increases. I got kind of lucky when I found this car in February, it was a 2019 with 7k on it and it came with Ktuner V2, and a PRL drop in filter kit. Although it was on the stock tune when I bought it, a few days later I loaded up the software, having experience from my RSX days, and loaded up the 23 psi basemap. It was awesome! Never had a single issue, car was a lot of fun to drive, it did fall flat up top as many have experienced. Then I started learning more about our 10th gens and came across TSP stage 1, I figured for $80, why not. TSP has been even better! I do experience a little of the erky jerky stuff between low gears in low rpms, but you kind of have to ease the clutch out when going low speed, it’s a little tough to get used to but perfect shifting is accomplishable. One thing I haven’t experience yet is clutch slip, fortunately! I like the on the fly map switching (my ktuner is always connected, I daily drive on map 3) but the ability is really cool because of modern technology, and the fact that when you switch to sport mode it changes the throttle response and boost levels. It makes me feel like it actually has a “full power” switch because it does a little more then just stiffening the suspension. I am curious about Pherable these days! Could just be the hype factor, but I hear really good things! All in all - my tuning experience has been excellent so far.

*update* I picked up the PRL flex fuel kit and the ACT Street Organic Clutch/ Flywheel combo on blackfriday 2020 from PRL. The clutch was on back order but I went ahead and installed the PRL Kit then flashed to the 23psi ethanol base map. For a basemap, I was completely blown away! But, as expected, the stock clutch started to slip when doing roll runs. The clutch finally got shipped to me about a month ago, and I got the clutch installed this week, got the car back today actually. I was anxious to see how the light weight flywheel with the KZCMC and braided clutch line would feel coming from that horrible setup Honda shipped the SI with. I haven't been able to push it yet but man does it feel really good just driving around. It is a bit grabby in first, but the car feels like it had a weight lifted off of it, literally with that 33lbs flywheel lol *also not a performance mod or related to tuning but I did install an aftermarket steering wheel too.
IMG_2933 (1).jpg

9DA42D37-B48C-408E-AFA8-7E73F20E20B6.jpeg

E1BC35E1-3DDF-4575-9E4E-A4DD0A44D5EB.jpeg

194B26F3-C4CC-4BE4-A4EE-BDE14F096AEB.jpeg

38303279-E3C2-4B5F-877B-051AB70871F8.jpeg

E640B205-CC59-4085-8025-7B3E44379C76.jpeg

920B99D8-E91D-4468-A624-8E54B6934CD8.jpeg

4BA04BF1-C92E-4168-8DC1-BB65B29BD4A3.jpeg

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Tunes used: KTuner 23 psi basemap, TSP Stage 1 (map 3), KTuner 23psi w/ flex fuel enabled

Fuel used: Shell V-Nitro 93oct (This is the only fuel I put in the car) .49-.54 Kctrl (.54 map 3 sport mode on a cold day, I have seen it in the .6x on a warmer day for extended pulls) / Shell 93 mixed in with a few gallons of shell e85 - running a 24-31% ethanol mix

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI with race MAF, PRL Intercooler and intercooler piping, Invidia catted downpipe, Invidia front pipe, Invidia R400 Gemini Exhaust, PRL Flex Fuel Kit, ACT Street Organic clutch and flywheel, KZCMC

Problems/issues: Stock clutch started to slip as expected after I installed the flex fuel kit

Driving style: It’s my daily so it see’s all kind of action. Cruising through the city, flying down the highway, having some competition against myself on the backroads. No dead stop launches, I do get rolling in first then mash it, a lot of rolling pulls.

Tuning experience notes: *original*Tuning is definitely one of the best bang for buck things you can do for performance. The car was totally different after tuning, and I mean that in a really good way. Noticeable power, response, and drivability increases. I got kind of lucky when I found this car in February, it was a 2019 with 7k on it and it came with Ktuner V2, and a PRL drop in filter kit. Although it was on the stock tune when I bought it, a few days later I loaded up the software, having experience from my RSX days, and loaded up the 23 psi basemap. It was awesome! Never had a single issue, car was a lot of fun to drive, it did fall flat up top as many have experienced. Then I started learning more about our 10th gens and came across TSP stage 1, I figured for $80, why not. TSP has been even better! I do experience a little of the erky jerky stuff between low gears in low rpms, but you kind of have to ease the clutch out when going low speed, it’s a little tough to get used to but perfect shifting is accomplishable. One thing I haven’t experience yet is clutch slip, fortunately! I like the on the fly map switching (my ktuner is always connected, I daily drive on map 3) but the ability is really cool because of modern technology, and the fact that when you switch to sport mode it changes the throttle response and boost levels. It makes me feel like it actually has a “full power” switch because it does a little more then just stiffening the suspension. I am curious about Pherable these days! Could just be the hype factor, but I hear really good things! All in all - my tuning experience has been excellent so far.

*update* I picked up the PRL flex fuel kit and the ACT Street Organic Clutch/ Flywheel combo on blackfriday 2020 from PRL. The clutch was on back order but I went ahead and installed the PRL Kit then flashed to the 23psi ethanol base map. For a basemap, I was completely blown away! But, as expected, the stock clutch started to slip when doing roll runs. The clutch finally got shipped to me about a month ago, and I got the clutch installed this week, got the car back today actually. I was anxious to see how the light weight flywheel with the KZCMC and braided clutch line would feel coming from that horrible setup Honda shipped the SI with. I haven't been able to push it yet but man does it feel really good just driving around. It is a bit grabby in first, but the car feels like it had a weight lifted off of it, literally with that 33lbs flywheel lol *also not a performance mod or related to tuning but I did install an aftermarket steering wheel too.
IMG_2933 (1).jpg

9DA42D37-B48C-408E-AFA8-7E73F20E20B6.jpeg

E1BC35E1-3DDF-4575-9E4E-A4DD0A44D5EB.jpeg

194B26F3-C4CC-4BE4-A4EE-BDE14F096AEB.jpeg

38303279-E3C2-4B5F-877B-051AB70871F8.jpeg

E640B205-CC59-4085-8025-7B3E44379C76.jpeg

920B99D8-E91D-4468-A624-8E54B6934CD8.jpeg

4BA04BF1-C92E-4168-8DC1-BB65B29BD4A3.jpeg
Hey there. I'm confused. Your "new post" seems to be an exact duplicate of this post from 3+ months ago. Even your mileage is indentical. :what:

Early April Fool's joke?

What's been updated since November?

Last edited:

Th3HighLif3

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hey there. I'm confused. Your "new post" seems to be an exact duplicate of this post from 3+ months ago. Even your mileage is indentical. :what:

Early April Fool's joke?

Hey GTman - so I went to my original post and "edited" it because I am a noob and I wasn't sure how the update thing worked - if I was supposed to edit my original one or post a new one. And after I edited it, I copied it and pasted it to the most recent page because it didnt auto post it there.

Th3HighLif3

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

Early April Fool's joke?

I reverted the original post back to what it was give or take a word or two. Sorry for the confusion sir.

Th3HighLif3

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So what was your additional tuned mileage and changes? That's the main reason I ask folks to do updates for this reliability thread.
Here you are - I underlined the updates below.

Fuel used: Shell V-Nitro 93oct (This is the only fuel I put in the car) .49-.54 Kctrl (.54 map 3 sport mode on a cold day, I have seen it in the .6x on a warmer day for extended pulls) / Shell 93 mixed in with a few gallons of shell e85 - running a 24-31% ethanol mix - kctrl steadily at .49

Tuning experience notes:

Sponsored