The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

brendonsiX

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic SI
Country flag
Tuning update*

Vehicle: 2017 Honda Civic SI sedan (Canadian model bought used at 7400 miles, untuned.

Mileage: 19 800

Total tuned time: 6 months

Total tuned mileage: 12050

Tuned mileage since last update: ~7500

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: Current: phearable 1.5R tune with race maf tune (50miles) previous tunes: Pheareable 1.5 with race MAF (9000miles) phearable 1.5 Without race MAF (2500 miles) & tsp stage 1 (500miles)

Fuel used: Petro Canada 94 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL COBRA with Race MAF and Canadian washer reservoir relocation (installed myself)

Driving style: Daily driven in mixed Toronto traffic, occasional 3rd-4th gear pulls but rarely sees a "shift gear light" or redline, no racing or tracking.
Sponsored

Venomid

First Name
Omid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport CVT
Country flag
Updating my post from the past

I now have 11k miles driven on my car 2020 civic sport, about 8500 miles tuned on Ktuner custom 21 psi street map. Drives amazing, I drive slow usually on the streets or the speed limit at least, but I’m always down for spirited driving.

Since my last post, I’ve installed a PRL intercooler with the PRL pipes, and PRL front pipe and down pipe. Intake and the spool of the turbo sound along with the deep tone of the downpipe but stock exhaust is very nice not all in your face farting like a lot of Honda’s tend to sound like unfortunately. Here are some pics notice a change in tail lights and spoiler as well

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) FA425459-C243-4A45-A434-58D75FC7FE79

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 04CECAE7-9135-4685-9AF1-F854FB324C15

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) F7E7791F-ABF2-4731-AFA3-1764033A54E8

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport, 6MT

Total tuned time: Summer 2019 approx 18 months

Tuned miles driven: ~20k miles

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V2

Tunes used: K-tuner base maps, TSP Stage 1, current tune D-Rob custom tune

Fuel used: 91 Octane

Additional related mods: Megan Racing Catless DP/FP, PRL Cobra CAI Race MAF, Depo Racing intercooler and piping kit.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Conservative yet spirited, WOT a few times per week

Tuning experience notes: K-tuner base maps were fine but they left room for improvement, the car felt like a completely different car from stock but it didnt build boost as smoothly as I had hoped. TSP Stage 1 was a big improvemnt. The car ran smoother and pushed notably harder to redline. It was at times unsmooth to drive in stop and go traffic or under low rpm. With the base maps and the TSP tune I was getting quite high K-con values under WOT. Sometimes as high as .9 or even 1.0 on 2nd-4th gear pulls. D-rob custom tune, even bigger improvement and night and day difference with how the car builds power. Very smooth all the way to redline and lots more power/torque. The D-Rob tune definitely feels as though it is exactly tailored to the mods that I have where as the base tunes obviously were not.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_5583

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_5720

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car, looks great.

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
KTuned...

The Phearable 1.5 is a totally different animal than the base KTuner tunes. It's much smoother with a more linear throttle. Wait til you really push that throttle down!

The base tunes tend to feel potent down low but not super smooth. And as you noted, the power really fizzles out up top.
Today was my first day able to get out and see what it could do from a power standpoint. It really holds its power in the later rpms. I like that It doesn't have that instant torque. It should help save my clutch life. Really refined all around. Its also a lot easier to get consistent miles per gallon since it isn't so aggressive early on.

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
Had an odd thing happen on the way back from lunch today .

I’m about 300 miles in on my tune , Running the 21/dual OTF tunes set to gtmans parameters , I was going slightly uphill not accelerating, but letting the hill slow me down, waiting for a car in front of me to merge onto an on-ramp and then I was going to accelerate and keep going , my speed was about 35 mph , if felt like as soon the car got below 36 mph it was trying to downshift , and when it did it felt like a thud , like a rough downshift , or if you made a mistake shifting a manual gearbox and you get that lurch feeling .It happened so quick , but I don’t think I had yet put my foot back on the accelerator when it happened . First time I’ve ever experienced that .

On the flip side , I was just sent my TSP tune , seems like I read something about the TSP tune smoothing out some of the rough ends of the KTuner base tunes ?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On the flip side , I was just sent my TSP tune , seems like I read something about the TSP tune smoothing out some of the rough ends of the KTuner base tunes ?
The TSP 1 feels quite a bit different than a base tune. While it won't feel as punchy off the line, it's much smoother and more refined overall. It also feels faster at high rpm.

Last edited:

slcvt

First Name
samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 1.5T CVT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 1.5T / CVT
Mileage: 73,000 km
Total tuned time: 4 year +
Total tuned mileage: ~70,000 km
Tuning device: Racechip Ultimate – 3 years; Ktuner – 1 year+
Tunes used: Ktuner base map – Dual calibration 21psi,
Current tune: TSP Stage 1 (RACE)
Current power: 195hp and 300 Nm torque on RON97
Fuels used: RON97
Improvement: PRL Cobra CAI (RACE), PRL Intercooler, Ultra Racing Front Strut bar, Ultra Racing Rear Anti-rolling bar
Engine Oil: 0W-30
Issues/problems: The engine is running great and smooth
Driving style: Usually city drive plus some aggressive pulls when I need to or when road condition permitted.

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport plus 2019
Country flag
The TSP 1 feels quite a bit different than a base tune. While it won't feel as punchy off the line, it's much smoother and more refined overall. It also feels faster at high rpm.
On dual/ 21, factory simulation feels way more underpowered than my factory map. This is annoying for daily. Can’t use it at all. Also, I can’t tell about TSP1 but my custom feels much much faster than base 21 at high rpm

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On dual/ 21, factory simulation feels way more underpowered than my factory map. This is annoying for daily. Can’t use it at all.
You're talking about when you press the Econ button, right? When set to "factory", it's factory boost levels but with eco features, like reduced throttle response. You need set the quick adjustment to "normalized eco" for better throttle response.

Last edited:

CruzK20

First Name
Cruz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Sedan

Total tuned time: 7 weeks

Tuned miles driven: 2,065

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner base tune,
my own custom “pop & bang” tune

Fuel used: 91 for maybe the first 2 fill ups and then WaWa 93 almost exclusively. If I absolutely need to I’ve used shell 93 and Speedway 93

Additional related mods: RV6 cat-less down pipe, HPS silicone intake hose, K&N drop in air filter. Straight pipe with a Vibrant Super Quiet resonator.

Problems/issues: So far no mechanical issues at all, I still however get a CEL from the DP every now and then, even with those codes turned off in the tune. The CEL does go away with a simple re-flash or just letting it go away naturally over a day or so.

Driving style: extremely spirited. If roads are empty, I’m rippin’em. Most of my driving is on the highway going to and from work, about an hour each way.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first time building a car let alone tuning it, so I’m still fairly new to most of this. The only tune currently available for the 2.0 NA was a decent improvement over stock, you definitely notice it pulls a bit harder and the car becomes more responsive all around. Also Vtec is a lot better with the tune, and more satisfying because you can actually hear it kick in unlike stock.

I also went ahead and learned enough about tuning to be able to make a Pop and bang tune using the Ktuner tune as a base and adjusting fuel cut delay until I had nice aggressive crackle/pops on decel.

I have more info on this if anyone is interested.

I have had no problems running the pop tune while commuting or racing around. Although I do believe it’s partly at fault for my recurring CEL

Maintenance Notes: I have always been the type of person to beat on cars and have as much fun as possible in them, and because of this I have become very preventative when it comes to regular maintenance.

With that being said I obviously don’t use the maintenance minder, I don’t believe it’s any smarter than a bag of rocks.

These are my personal maintenance intervals

I also do all of it myself

motor oil/filter every 4K

Tranny Oil every 20k

Intake filter gets cleaned every 4K (or when I’m washing the car and have extra time)

Rotate tires every 8k

Axles/brakes/cv joints and all other fluids at least get checked every oil change and changed as needed.

Everything else I do normally

And finally here’s the car
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 8463AA44-F79F-4D0D-B545-FC2D620DF7C1

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 005FBC50-8687-4F95-8084-518B0CDA5365

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) C96CB36C-5A62-4346-917C-15F228FEC4FF

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 civic sport

Total tuned time: 18months

Tuned miles driven: 30,000

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner v1.2 , currently using hondata flash pro

Tunes used: ktuner base maps, ktuner custom tune by Drob, ktuner TSP stage 1, currently self tuning hondata custom tune

Fuel used: Shell v power 99RON

Additional related mods: PREVIOUS MODS = prl short ram street, PRL cobra race, PRL catless downpipe, PRL catted DP+FP, Greddy exhaust, ktuner v1.2

CURRENT MODS= 27won street intake, 27won inlet pipe, Wagner comp IC+piping, ARK performance exhaust, 27won RMM (love the solid drive feel and extra engine noise)

Problems/issues: all ktuner base map tunes and canned tunes all needed professional tuning for AFR re-scaling, after attempting to use TSP stage 1 and getting bad AFR, i decided to learn this process for my own sake.

hondata's only tune available for my ecu was base calibration, and even with the 27won intake AFM modification the car ran terrible and couldnt idle correctly so a full AFM re-scale was needed.

27won RMM required adjustments for idle and reduced power on low rpm to help with vibrations within the cabin. this mod is never going to feel like stock so if rattles anoy you then stay away lol

Driving style: over the last 30k, i had 40min commute with mix of stop/start and highway driving with perfect WOT pulls.

but my short work commutes now with very little chance of WOT and alot of stop/start traffic. very hard for street tuning :(

Tuning experience notes:

i have played with my own ktuner basemaps and enjoyed using the drivability features but this was never enough so i decided to start adding engine mods and went down the custom tune path,however,when coming to emissions testing or dealership issues the car had to go back to stock ecu but with having catless or catted downpipe and race maf, these mods cause CEL codes so i decided to revert back to stock downpipe and stick to street intake. the move from ktuner to hondata was for more of learning curve so i could go back to basics. i have learnt a lot about reflash tuning and so much about these cars thanks
to the forum and its members :)

once i have completed my hondata tuning i shall keep using this car as my daily and may look at future mods. i cant see myself upgrading in the future so i would rather just continue my build
You're wasting your time with the whole returning the car to stock to take the car to the dealer. Its been proven quite a bit as of late that HDS can detect when an ECU has been flashed and returned to stock.

Not giving you a hard time or looking for an argument on this topic. Just saying it isn't worth the time, and I've taken my car in numerous times just the way it sits. They know what's up, I know they know what's up and that's the way it is.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
They know the last time it was flashed/re-flashed BUT very few dealerships will waste their techs time dumping the ECU each time a car comes in for service, even warranty work. Most will likely only dump the ECU data if Honda Tech makes the request for a major warranty issue. Even in that case it's likely Honda Tech will be the ones who view/decode the dump.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a reminder to anyone who has already added their car to the thread. If you switch to the new TSP Stage 1+ or Phearable 1.5R tunes, add a new post. That way I can keep the stats updated and accurate. Thanks.
Sponsored