The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

USNengineman

First Name
chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 civic si coupe
Country flag
THIS IS AN UPDATE, didnt realize i had to do a complete new post, i just updated the first one on accident. I do believe i was at around 3k miles when i first flashed ktuner base map.

Vehicle: 2020 si coupe

Total tuned time: 7-8 months

Tuned miles driven:
roughly 5k

Tuning device(s) used: k tuner

Tunes used
: ktuner 23/tsp stage 1 map 3 sport

Fuel used: 93, usually circle k or navy base gas(if i dont feel like going out to town)

Additional engine mods: 27WON street CAI, TIP, catted DP, RMM and shift knob. PRL FMIC and charge pipes. resonator delete. Siri moto subframe brace and strut bar.

Problems/issues: clutch slipped only ONCE right after i installed the FMIC and TIP (most recent installs) on a pull in 4th gear. RPM's were around 3k so i dont do that anymore, wont go wot or anywhere near it if im not at 4-4200k. stock clutch still holds well other than that.
Fuel trims do whatever the hell they want it feels like, but im pretty sure its all the mods i have and the change of airflow ive done to the car, reaaaally need a custom tune (Etune is next mod).

Driving style: 5 over the limit usually but sometimes i like to get to that 5 over fast :) Just gotta hear the spool once in a while. and by that i mean at least twice a day. Not wot just enough to hear that sound we all love.

Tuning experience notes: if anyone of you have read my posts youll know im very new to this, first car ive tuned and am able to actually put money in to. but over the course of almost a year ive learned a lot not only from youtube but this community as well!! Im a marine diesel mechanic and have a very vast understanding of engines but since ive bought this car i feel like you guys have honestly helped me understand even more! Your feed back and quick responses to anything i post has made me love the car itself even more!! i still have a lot left to learn but i learn something from this community every day!!

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Current thread stats (as of 1/11/21):

Total tuned vehicles: 468
Total tuned miles driven: 6,537,700 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: choo (101,000+)

Cars with major failures: 13 (2.8%)
Failures by model: Si: 4; non-Si: 8; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.2%

Transmission type: CVT (144); Manual (323)

Hondata used as tuning device: 102
KTuner used as tuning device: 386

JB4 used as tuning device: 3
RaceChip used as tuning device: 3
Motec used as tuning device: 2
Bluespark Pro Petrol used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 87
Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (214)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (56)

Submissions by model: Si (218); 1.5T Non-Si (201); Type R (34); 2.0 NA (15)

Most popular fuel: 93 octane (251)
Flex fuel users: 49

Last edited:

booost

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI

Total tuned time: 5 months

Tuned miles driven:
4,300+

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2 w/ Tunerview on headunit

Tunes used: Custom tuned by @phearable

Fuel used: Mobile 93 (exclusively)

Additional engine mods: 3" MAperformance downpipe, 3" PRL frontpipe, 3" exhaust back with Borla resonator, PRL CAI, Mishimoto Intercooler, 27WON RMM, Clutchmasters FX350 Clutch, Hybrid short throw shifter, Hybrid shifter cable bushings.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Calm in the morning to work, spicy on my way home.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning, it's pretty easier with Ktuner. I can't explain enough how great my custom tuning experience was with @phearable. Professional dude, knows his stuff and I know I am in good hands. Love my tune, changed my car completely for the better.

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Driving style: Calm in the morning to work, spicy on my way home.
I laughed when I read that. Me too. Just chill going to work yet going home I easily go 20+ over the limit. It must be a "thing". :cool:

Last edited:

FatalRobin

First Name
Mitchell
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
What’s up ? I have a factory stock Honda Civic HB sport, I was looking into getting a down pipe, what is recommended? Changing out the factory down pipe would I loose the heat shield could I heat wrap the DP?

Trent m

First Name
Trenton
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Ex
Country flag
What's up everybody, just got my civic hatchback ex and haven't tuned a car before. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for tuning.

I'm not loyal to either hondata or ktuner so I could go with either. Obviously its better to get it custom dyno'd for my specific driving conditions. I know that the CVT trans is usually the limiting factor when tuning these cars and I'm not beating it up (its just my commuter), so I'm wondering what bolt-ons are even worth it (if any). Or if I should just keep it all ECU upgrading? I don't want to push the limits of the CVT because I'll probably keep the car for a while.

Anyone feel strongly on base maps vs custom tune assuming I'm not tracking it or pushing it hard every time I drive?

Thanks in advance guys. Really excited to finally have a car that I can have fun with.

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's up everybody, just got my civic hatchback ex and haven't tuned a car before. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for tuning.

I'm not loyal to either hondata or ktuner so I could go with either. Obviously its better to get it custom dyno'd for my specific driving conditions. I know that the CVT trans is usually the limiting factor when tuning these cars and I'm not beating it up (its just my commuter), so I'm wondering what bolt-ons are even worth it (if any). Or if I should just keep it all ECU upgrading? I don't want to push the limits of the CVT because I'll probably keep the car for a while.

Anyone feel strongly on base maps vs custom tune assuming I'm not tracking it or pushing it hard every time I drive?

Thanks in advance guys. Really excited to finally have a car that I can have fun with.
Here's a good starting point for your research:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/have-a-turbo-and-a-cvt-considering-a-tune-read-this.31242/

Umbra

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 honda civic sport hatchback (cvt)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Honda civic sport (CVT)

Total tuned time: 3 weeks

Total tuned mileage: 500+

Tuning device(s) used:
Ktuner

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 Map 3

Additional engine mods: None atm (some advice for future mods would be great)

Problems/issues:
Non

Driving style: Casual, occasional aggressive but nothing crazy

So far love the tune. Truly night and day difference. Going to be satisfied for a while with it, but eventually am going to add mods. Maybe a CAI or an Intercooler. Any suggestions ?

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is interesting. I went back exactly one year to look at the reliability stats. Talk about consistency. We were at 97.3% reliable versus the current 97.2%. I'd say it's pretty apparent that most owners of tuned cars have done well.

STATS (as of 1/14/20)

Total surveys taken: 184
Total tuned miles driven: 2,662,500 (estimated)

Tuned cars with major failures: 5
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.3%

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ility-thread-for-all-models.42361/post-741286

Technical_Jno

First Name
Jonathan
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 0 months

Total tuned mileage: 0 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Nuthin

Tunes used: None

Additional engine mods: Bone Stock motor, OEM everything.

Problems/issues: Boring, fun factor is suppressed. Engine runs very quiet. No one can tell how awesome I am, nor how much of a try-hard. Photos of engine bay are pointless. Lacking in cool toys, cool factor is present, but lower than desired.

Driving style: We was just funnin', officer, we didn't mean no harm. Top speed around 116 southbound down the back side of the sunol grade, had some 'encouragement' from another driver.
Gee... Thanks.!.

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

JakedNuice

Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Si coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 1 week

Tuned miles driven: 90

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 91 octane (crappy CA gas)

Additional engine mods: Magnaflow catback only

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Regular citizen commuting, with some aggressive pulls when the time presents itself

Tuning experience notes: Really enjoying the tune so far. Car shifts so much smoother and the power band feels more natural. Feels like it should have from the factory. I know I don't have much useful experience with the tune yet, we'll see how the clutch holds up. I see @gtman on the forums all the time trying to convince people to do this, so I can finally contribute now that I'm tuned.

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see @gtman on the forums all the time trying to convince people to do this, so I can finally contribute now that I'm tuned.
You're right, I do try to convince every tuned owner to post here. I look at it this way. We all know that tuning makes our cars drive so much better, but, in the back of our minds, we all worry about how these tunes will affect reliability.

If only 1 out of 25 tuned CivicX drivers add their car, we aren't nearly getting the full picture. I probably get one member here adding their car for every ten I contact.

Maybe someday those people will post. It's important, I think. Heck, I even tried to convince CivicX moderator 360glitch to post here unsuccessfully. I thought that would be a great addition. On the other side of the coin, I respect anyone's choice not to add their car(s).

Thanks again to everyone who has added or updated their tuned car so far.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Advertisement