The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Multaq

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic LX 6SPD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 LX Manual

Total tuned time: 1.5 Years

Tuned miles driven: 20,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: Base Map

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: Injen short ram intake, Invidia N1 exhaust

Problems/issues: Spark plugs need to be changed at only 38,000 miles.

Driving style: VERY aggressive.

Tuning experience notes: Great so far except car has lost power since plugs need to be changed

Advertisement

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the update. Looks like you've put on 15,000 additional trouble free tuned miles since your original post. :thumbsup:

Appreciate you taking the time to update and wish more people would.

Last edited:

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 21 months

Tuned miles driven: 18,000+

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata RACE Flashpro, currently using KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Hondata +6 and RACEFWD custom W1 turbo 91 tune, Powermetric STAGE 27Won full E85, DROB custom tune RV6 BETA With Upgraded fuel system and built engine

Fuel used: Shell 91, Chevron 91, Pump E85

Additional engine mods:
Rv6 R365 Beta
27Won turbo inlet
PRL Cobra CAI W/RACE MAF
Custom Flexfuel Setup using Innovative Gauge
PRL 3" Catless DP V2
PRL FMIC with charge pipes V1
AWE 3.25" Touring Exhaust with front pipe
New Age Performance fuel system Upgrade
CTR clutch Retrofit W/ Modified CMC
Riaction Pro Coilovers
SPC rear camber Arms
27Won BBK
Ultra Racing Strut bar
Eibach Upgraded Front and rear sway bars
New motor built by Eman
- Saenz performance rods
-JE pistons
-Custom oil Squirters
-Valvetrain
-Billet oil Pump
-new crank
-New Block
PPG 4th Gear upgrade

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: aggressive driving, constantly in boost with frequent pulls

Tuning experience notes: all my tunes were done by professional tuners i understand the basics and can monitor a car and diagnose based off my current understandings. all mechanical work done by me other than Engine build, transmission work and new fuels system
How does the RV6 turbo compare to W1?

ConnerFC3

First Name
Conner
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic coupe EX-T
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX-T coupe, CVT

Total tuned time: 6 months

Total tuned mileage: 9,000miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner base maps, Tsp stage 1, Tsp stage 1 with Prl race maf (current)

Additional engine mods: Prl Cobra intake (Race)

Gas: 91 or 93 octane

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Normal with the occasional pull

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for adding your car. You are the 200th 1.5T non-Si in the thread.

Eleon

First Name
Eddie
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: ~1 year

Tuned miles driven: 10,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 19 psi now on a custom dyno tune by Edge Autosport in Colorado.

Fuel used: Shell 91

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI with street maf, PRL intercooler and charge pipes, PRL catted dp and fp, MAPerformance race exhaust. I use Amsoil 0w-20 and change my oil myself every 4-4.5 miles.

Problems/issues: Nothing mechanical but I have had some issues with starting the car possibly due to a bad battery which I replaced. I had the car shut off everything electronically once when I tried to start it but this was only once and it was after a period of not driving the car for a couple weeks since it was in the shop for some hail damage (Colorado for you lol). Car hasn’t failed starting up since replacing the battery but it still does start up noticeably longer as before on cold starts when the temp outside is below 40 F. This likely was caused by not driving the car as often as before due to COVID and it’s really only been during this winter that the car starts up slower. I don’t think my mods caused this. The clutch will slip a bit in higher gears if I floor it as expected but never during causal driving. I have an ACT street kit ready to be installed when I absolutely need it.

Driving style: Very conservative~98% of the time. I’ll do a pull every now and then. I don’t track or race the car. Never floor it in higher gears, never floor it from a dead stop or at lower than 3k rpms to reduce the rod bending torque( I roll into the throttle whenever I do a pull),

Tuning experience notes: First car I’ve ever had tuned. I started with the dual 19.5 psi ots tune from KTuner and never played with any settings I shouldn’t change besides some disables for the downpipe and the on the fly switching. Never enabled 2 step or antilag. I always kept an eye on fuel trims, AFR, knock control, IATs and never really saw anything out of the ordinary. I decided to get a custom tune recently from Edge Autosport to make sure the car was running completely right. So far so good! I included my numbers below. This was on snow tires and the clutch started slipping a bit. Had I been on summer tires and an upgraded clutch I probably could’ve been somewhere between 240-250 whp according to the tuner! He set up a conservative map with near factory boost levels, 19 psi map, and a custom boost level map which maxes at 20 psi. Overall I wanted a safe tune and I plan on keeping it on the conservative map most of if not all of the time. I love my car and want to keep her around for a long time so I hope by babying her I can keep her from blowing up on me👍🏽 She’s my daily❤ Conservative map is about 218 whp and 240 torque. My baseline on factory boost levels with my mods was about 211 whp and 222 torque. My “race map” on custom boost levels is below.

635B2716-C475-404F-B0C8-91EF33629822.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed post and thanks for joining the thread. :thumbsup:

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Update:

Car :
Honda Civic Hatchback Type E CVT

Total tuned time: 12 months

Total tune mileage: 4,667 miles

Tuning device
: Hondata Flashpro, KTuner V1.2

Tunes used
: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1, Self-made 19 PSI, Custom tune by Steve from E-Tunez, Custom self tune for CR-V Turbocharger swap, Custom self-tune for CAPTS Stage 2 Turbocharger by @CAPTS

Fuel used: 98 RON (93 Octane?)

Additional engine mods: Rev9 intercooler, PRL Catless Downpipe, Custom 2.5 Inch FP, Sprint drop in filter replacement, CR-V Turbocharger (installed for 4 months), CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger by @CAPTS (just installed today)

Problems/issues: None so far

Driving style:
Stop-and-go traffic 95% of the time with occasional morning run (05:30 AM) weekdays and 06:00 AM in the weekend.

Tuning experience notes: Hondata Flashpro - decent tuning device and good for basic tuning for 1.5T. Provide Live Tuning and Advanced Graph for datalog study. User can download tune from ECU, not only upload. Torque limiter is such a limiting factor when pushing boost past 21 PSI after I swap with CR-V turbocharger KTuner V1.2 - Quick Adjustments feature wins my choice. I "convert" my Hondata Flashpro calibration to KTuner with some adjustments to boost tables calibration. Still need to perfect the AFM. I find difficulty to plug KTuner V1.2 dongle to OBD II perfectly in one go. I need to wiggle the unit until it is perfectly connected. CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger: Just installed today. Flashed self-tuned calibration for the turbocharger upgrade & did a quick spin. Low end power wasn't bad. It was actually better than stock although there was a slight delay in spool. Mid to high end power is better than stock but I still need to do a bit tweaking on ignition and fuel tuning. I will go to dyno after tuning complete & created build thread. I will share more detail in the build thread.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 1 year, 11 months (initial tune 2/9/19)

Tuned miles driven: Approximately 22.6k miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5T non-Si [current], KTuner starter maps (most recently 21psi with quick enables)

Fuel used: Costco/Sam's Club/Chevron 91 octane

Additional engine mods: DIY SRI with AEM DryFlow filter, Mishimoto silicone induction hose, custom fiberglass filter heatshield (thermal reflective tape on the engine-facing sides), and ram induction ducting leading to the heatshield from the driver's side faux vent opened up. Also have a muffler delete with the stock resonator still in place.

Problems/issues: minor issue with fluttering sound at >70% throttle and >17psi, but that went away when I started messing with quick enables. I have had zero instances of that with the phearable tune

Driving style: Mostly chill driving, slightly spirited, especially on inclined highway on-ramps. Not a huge fan of driving on eco-mode. S mode if I'm feeling frisky. Paddle shifters if I'm feeling even friskier. Aim for good fuel economy when I'm feeling frugal.

Tuning experience notes: I just recently installed the Phearable tune (my initial survey was the first response to this thread on 10/14/2019 -- yes, I have edited my initial post to reflect changes), and here are my thoughts after taking her out for an hour today:
I can definitely tell that torque is limited down low to protect the CVT. I also get it when I read that people have to depress the throttle a bit more than before. The way I look at it, yes, protects the CVT, but also makes [map 3] very daily drivable. It's just something I'll have to get used to. And man, acceleration is stupid smooth on this tune, definitely a lot less jerky than the starter 21psi tune (which I didn't think was terribly jerky until now). At >70% throttle, this thing pulls. Unfortunately, I never had the TSP tune, so I can't really compare it to that.​

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Appreciate the update post, but there is one problem.

In the past, you've updated your original post (instead of the recommended new post) and that meant I couldn't update the thread stats (in terms of tuned mileage) because you've erased your original mileage number from October 2019.

Do you happen to have a rough idea of what that original number was? Thanks.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my bad. I'll edit my original post with october 2019 mileage for you

edit: reverted my time tuned and mileage in my original post to october 2019 numbers with updates in parenthesis

chrono111

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic EX sedan CVT

Total tuned time: 2 weeks

Tuned miles driven: 150 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5T non-Si [current]

Fuel used: Walmart 93 octane

Additional engine mods: NA

Problems/issues: NA

Driving style: Relaxed but now having the tune installed a bit more aggressive

Tuning experience notes: I just installed the phearable tune. Really my first mod since I purchased my Civic 18 months ago. Wanted wait a bit and glad I did. The phearable tune transforms my car to a very smooth but power anywhere experience. So worth the price of admission. Makes the stock tune feel flawed. Very easy to install and would definitely do it again.

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tuning experience notes: I just installed the phearable tune. Really my first mod since I purchased my Civic 18 months ago. Wanted wait a bit and glad I did. The phearable tune transforms my car to a very smooth but power anywhere experience. So worth the price of admission. Makes the stock tune feel flawed. Very easy to install and would definitely do it again.
I bolded the part I wanted to discuss. Fact is, the stock tune is kind of crap. And I'm not simply talking about ultimate power numbers. The off the shelf tunes improve the stock tune in every way. Better power down low and up top. Less lag. Better throttle response.

People who knock aftermarket tunes often haven't tried them. They improve driveability in a night and day way. And for most of us using moderate power tunes, they also don't really hurt reliability or mpgs significantly when driven "normally".

Thanks for adding your car and please add an update post as you accumulate more tuned miles.

Last edited:

jkim19SI

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan (Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan
Total tuned time: 6 months
Total tuned miles: 3900 miles
Tuning device: Ktuner V2
Tunes used: Custom tune by Derek Robinson
Mods list:

PRL Garret GTX 2867R Gen2 Turbo
PRL Cai Race MAF
PRL Down Pipe v2
PRL Front Pipe v2
PRL SS clutch line
Eman Custom Flex fuel Kit
Custom chargepipes
Injen Intercooler
Hondata 4 Bar Map Sensors
Ktuner V2
Custom tuned by Drob
Spoon Thermalstat
Type R Retro fit Clutch / Flywheel
Type R CMC Retrofit
Type R Exhaust Retrofit
Type R Front Subframe Brace
Type R Full Shifter Assembly
Type R RMM
Type R Steering Wheel
Type R shift knob (2020)
Acuity shifter bushing
Acuity base bushing
Acuity rocker
Acuity shifter spring
DC Sport Carbon front strut bar
Eibach pro kit
Spc rear arms
Avid 18x9.5 +38
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 245/40/18
Brembo big brake kit
HPS Pads
Stoptech Slotted Rotors
Good Ridge brake lines
Greddy front lip
Honda HFP Side skirts
Spoon side mirrors
Spoon rear view mirror
2020 OEM Si LED Headlights
Morimoto XB Fogs
Nardo Grey Wrinkle Valve Cover
Side Chrome delete
Alcantara Cluster Trim
Alcantara Console Trim
Alcantara Shifter Boot
Spoiler king rear gourney
Mugen oil cap
Art of Attack Banner
Opt7 interior LED
Smoked out side markers
JL C2-350X Center Speaker
JL C2-650X Front Speakers
JL C2-650X Rear Speakers
JL C2 Front Tweeters
JL C2 Rear Tweeters

Problems: None
Driving Style: heavy foot
0EDEFDE7-97A7-4739-9D06-046AC2FF880A.jpeg
835F5D5A-EA50-4AEE-B426-E64DF58AE2D4.jpeg
2209DE97-A81C-4DC8-AAEF-7432A65C9B4E.jpeg
092D6509-F181-48C7-98B6-D540B8E133C9.jpeg
94539E43-C69B-49E2-A5B6-1177CC44F730.jpeg

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the add. Your car looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

Where did you get the alcantara trim from?

Advertisement

Advertisement