The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Update a year later.

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: almost 3 years

Total tuned mileage: 20k miles
Thanks for the update. It would be great to see more owners adding updated info in a new post. List things like updated tuned mileage and any other changes since the original survey was taken.

The tuning survey started in October of 2019 yet only a small portion of folks have added updated info.
Sponsored

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: 250 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2 (bought used from another forum member)

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Shell 93 VPower Nitro+ ;o) (exclusively)

Additional engine mods: OEM Stock set-up, only cosmetic mods so far

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Daily driver, COVID working from home so low miles for now, not pushing or launching it at all but do test the performance from various rolling speeds and hit it a bit to catch up to other highway drivers or just for fun.

Tuning experience notes: Absolutely zero tuning experience. So grateful to @gtman for his work on this thread because it's probably the only reason I dove in to tuning. Have had other tunable cars before (2003 Celica, 2013 Veloster) and never tried it. Now I am sorry I didn't.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tuning experience notes: Absolutely zero tuning experience. So grateful to @gtman for his work on this thread because it's probably the only reason I dove in to tuning. Have had other tunable cars before (2003 Celica, 2013 Veloster) and never tried it. Now I am sorry I didn't.
I'm grateful for your support of my efforts and appreciate the survey.

My frustration level is getting up there. I work on the survey quite a bit (contacting tuned owners, updating stats, promoting the survey etc.) and the general vibe I get is most people disregard my requests to add a survey or just don't care.

What sucks about that is I guarantee these same people that refuse to do a survey will add a new topic when they need help and I'm often the one offering the help.

Bottom line: Every tuned owner that's aware of this survey should add their car. In the long run, it helps the entire community.

Fact: There are thousands of owners here at CivicX that have run or currently run a tune. Fact: We only have 300-some surveys. You do the math.

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm grateful for your support of my efforts and appreciate the survey.

My frustration level is getting up there. I work on the survey quite a bit (contacting tuned owners, updating stats, promoting the survey etc.) and the general vibe I get is most people disregard my requests to add a survey or just don't care.

What sucks about that is I guarantee these same people that refuse to do a survey will add a new topic when they need help and I'm often the one offering the help.

Bottom line: Every tuned owner that's aware of this survey should add their car. In the long run, it helps the entire community.

Fact: There are thousands of owners here at CivicX that have run or currently run a tune. Fact: We only have 300-some surveys. You do the math.
I will do anything I can do to help out. Just let me know. I have added links to this survey in several threads where it seemed to make sense, contextually. I just don't know what else I can do that's helpful but I am open to ideas.

I know a lot of people will be disappointed if this thread were to stop existing. And there are a lot of people who are looking but not contributing. I'm not sure that is much solace to you but it's true. I certainly can appreciate that your efforts need to be worth what you put out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We need more kimtysons! :bow:

This topic serves two purposes.

1) I created this survey to show whether tuning is reliable or unreliable. Mostly as a counterpoint to those that say tuning is 100% unsafe. At the time I started this we had a bunch of people saying just that.

2) By having owner's tuning experiences in one place (and keeping it updated), people on the fence about tuning safety could have a solid resource to make an informed decision.

I know for a fact many people are tuned now because of this survey. Yet, unlike Kim, many of those same people haven't posted a survey.

Believe me, I take no pleasure in making posts where I beg for help. It's just that this survey is important. The only thing holding it back is lack of participation by tuned owners.

NeptuneOg1

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
We need more kimtysons! :bow:

This topic serves two purposes.

1) I created this survey to show whether tuning is reliable or unreliable. Mostly as a counterpoint to those that say tuning is 100% unsafe. At the time I started this we had a bunch of people saying just that.

2) By having owner's tuning experiences in one place (and keeping it updated), people on the fence about tuning safety could have a solid resource to make an informed decision.

I know for a fact many people are tuned now because of this survey. Yet, unlike Kim, many of those same people haven't posted a survey.

Believe me, I take no pleasure in making posts where I beg for help. It's just that this survey is important. The only thing holding it back is lack of participation by tuned owners.
On a positive note though. You helped many people decide if it was safe to tune or not because of this survey. I myself didn't know about this post/survey before I tuned my car.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On a positive note though. You helped many people decide if it was safe to tune or not because of this survey. I myself didn't know about this post/survey before I tuned my car.
And that's my other frustration. For a bit of background I've administered online forums for nearly 25 years. If this was posted at my forum I'd definitely pin it to the top of the CivicX homepage for visibility.

Before the forums here were upgraded, we had a featured topics page. The survey was featured there. Many people saw that and were made aware of this survey. But that page is gone now.

That's why I work hard personally messaging people and asking them to add a survey. Most don't, but I'm grateful to those that do. :thumbsup:

Quick funny story. I messaged a guy the other day and he posted a survey. He messaged me back wanting to know it I used some sort of bot (lol). When I wrote him back that I research everything by myself, by hand, he wrote back "that's dedication".

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And that's my other frustration. For a bit of background I've administered online forums for nearly 25 years. If this was posted at my forum I'd definitely pin it to the top of the CivicX homepage for visibility.
^^^^ This.
If ever there was a thread that should be pinned to the top, this is it. I too find that frustrating.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This week's featured survey car:

Triple Six
2016 CIvic EX-T (CVT)
62,000+ tuned miles

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 03679955-538A-404C-A4A9-489C3E2D8AEC

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 9373C71B-94BC-4A5F-BDFB-307C6634DCE1

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic RS Sedan CVT (Australia)

Total tuned time: almost 3 years

Total tuned mileage: approx 30,000km (currently about 45,000km total)

Tuning device(s) used: Racechip S then Racechip GTS then Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Racechip as listed above, Ktuner stage 2, Ktuner Dual 21 psi tune, eventually TSP stage 1

Fuel used: 98 RON only (I believe its same as 93 in US)

Additional engine mods: Currently Mishimoto intake, Mishimoto intercooler. Previously used BMS intake and Mishimoto intake Tube with AFE Pro Dry S filter

Problems/issues: AC compressor replaced under warranty.

I believe this car came with faulty spark plug from factory.
Engine knock occasionally happens during acceleration esp uphill even when stock.
Took the car in dealers multiple times to get it checked -
they couldn't replicate the problem so couldn't fix it for me.
Eventually fixed after I changed spark plugs myself. What a difference it made.

Looking back - I probably took unecessary risk and tuned the engine with
racechip then Ktuner whilst the knocking problem wasn't solved

I was torn between believing nothing was wrong with my engine (dealer checked multiple times)
and being sh*t scared that my engine was gonna blow up tomorrow ever time I heard the noise

So far my car is holding up just fine!
My car is running happier than ever.

Driving style: relaxed granny driving most of the time and sometimes aggressive acceleration.

Tuning experience notes: First car involved in tuning. The tuning rabbit hole just keeps on getting deeper.
The CVT is holding up just fine, never had problems with it. Seriously this CVT can handle power and it's not as weak of people suggest.

This car is a serious sleeper with current setup.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
leeti1284, thanks for the survey.

A couple questions from me...

1. What was your overall opinion of the RaceChip?

2. How would you compare your current KTuner/TSP setup in terms of power and driveability to the RaceChip?

Last edited:

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
leeti1284, thanks for the survey.

A couple questions from me...

1. What was your overall opinion of the RaceChip?

2. How would you compare your current KTuner/TSP setup in terms of power and driveability to the RaceChip?
Racechip works and it works well. There is no doubt about it.
In fact I will go a step further to say it is probably safer for your car's warranty (that is, keeping warranty)

I have personally looked at datalogging with Ktuner with racechip on.

The numbers look stock - esp boost level. Everything looked stock except of course the ECU has been tricked. Perhaps the only give away is STFT will be higher during WOT as ECU compensates and inject more fuel as more air is being pushed into cylinder. It only lasts a few seconds. LTFT is stock because you are not pushing the car all the time.

I would go to say it's almost undetectable ?
You can unplug racechip literally under 1 minute. No one would ever known.
I haven't run into any problems with racechip. The Chip itself is quality made.
No codes ever thrown. I do think it is a good product and it does offer significant improvement in acceleration

2. now to say about Racechip driving experience vs Ktuner.

the biggest difference is probably the driveability

Racechip does not change the stock boost ramp as expected. You still have the same stock tune downside - that is the engine falls flat on its face when you take off from dead stop, for about 1 second then picks up and goes. This is for CVT - we don't have manual in Australia so I don't know if manual is the same. some people call it CVT lag but it is not as we all now know Ktuner removes 90% of this lag. Stock tune does this on purpose.

Once moving, you don't notice too much of the lag.
You still get the significant improvement in power during mid to upper rev range. I would say its about on par with Ktuner stage 2 tune when fully into it.

Now compared to Ktuner tune - this is where flash tune really shines in terms of driveability.

There is significant pick up torque and power from dead stop esp with dual 21 tune with aggressive quick enables. The take off Lag is almost non existent. Tyres are now roasting under hard acceleration where as with racechip it never did.

If I lined up a racechip car vs a Ktuner car with everything else being equal. Ktuner car will be ahead from a dead stop whilst racechip car falls on its face from start. Then both cars probably achieve same acceleration and the gap between the two stays the same.
If racechip cuts 1 second 0-100, Ktuner probably will cut another 0.5 second.

I would argue this is also safer - you want instant power to quickly to slip into a small gap in traffic, Ktuner gives you this instant power. Racechip can not do this.

TSP stage 1 is of course on another level - except the lower end is not as strong as Dual 21 with aggressive quick enables - as you have covered in detail in your other posts.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Racechip works and it works well. There is no doubt about it.
In fact I will go a step further to say it is probably safer for your car's warranty (that is, keeping warranty)

I have personally looked at datalogging with Ktuner with racechip on.

The numbers look stock - esp boost level. Everything looked stock except of course the ECU has been tricked. Perhaps the only give away is STFT will be higher during WOT as ECU compensates and inject more fuel as more air is being pushed into cylinder. It only lasts a few seconds. LTFT is stock because you are not pushing the car all the time.

I would go to say it's almost undetectable ?
You can unplug racechip literally under 1 minute. No one would ever known.
I haven't run into any problems with racechip. The Chip itself is quality made.
No codes ever thrown. I do think it is a good product and it does offer significant improvement in acceleration

2. now to say about Racechip driving experience vs Ktuner.

the biggest difference is probably the driveability

Racechip does not change the stock boost ramp as expected. You still have the same stock tune downside - that is the engine falls flat on its face when you take off from dead stop, for about 1 second then picks up and goes. This is for CVT - we don't have manual in Australia so I don't know if manual is the same. some people call it CVT lag but it is not as we all now know Ktuner removes 90% of this lag. Stock tune does this on purpose.

Once moving, you don't notice too much of the lag.
You still get the significant improvement in power during mid to upper rev range. I would say its about on par with Ktuner stage 2 tune when fully into it.

Now compared to Ktuner tune - this is where flash tune really shines in terms of driveability.

There is significant pick up torque and power from dead stop esp with dual 21 tune with aggressive quick enables. The take off Lag is almost non existent. Tyres are now roasting under hard acceleration where as with racechip it never did.

If I lined up a racechip car vs a Ktuner car with everything else being equal. Ktuner car will be ahead from a dead stop whilst racechip car falls on its face from start. Then both cars probably achieve same acceleration and the gap between the two stays the same.
If racechip cuts 1 second 0-100, Ktuner probably will cut another 0.5 second.

I would argue this is also safer - you want instant power to quickly to slip into a small gap in traffic, Ktuner gives you this instant power. Racechip can not do this.

TSP stage 1 is of course on another level - except the lower end is not as strong as Dual 21 with aggressive quick enables - as you have covered in detail in your other posts.
@leeti1284 Great post! Thanks. I learned something today. I always thought those chips were just a gimmick so it appears they are not all the same. Appreciate your explanation a lot.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Two Step has some potential great news for TSP Stage 1 users. They are talking about opening up some settings on their tune. I hope and pray part throttle turbo responsiveness and throttle response are two of them. That might improve the somewhat slow off the line feel compared to an aggressively set up KTuner 21.

Can't wait to see what they're opening up. I miss being able to "fine tune" my tune to my driving style like I can with the base maps. Matter of fact, I was thinking of going back to the KTuner 21 because the TSP is a bit sluggish in stop and go.

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Two Step has some potential great news for TSP 1 users. They are talking about opening up some settings on their tune. I hope and pray part throttle turbo and throttle response are some of them. That might improve the somewhat slow off the line feel compared to an aggressively set up KTuner 21.

Can't wait to see what they're opening up. I miss being able to "fine tune" my tune to my driving style like I can with the base maps.
@gtman Do you feel confident that any changes they make will not open up the TSP tune to being less stable and protective of our cars? One of the real benefits of that specific tune is that I feel reassured that using it (combined with not being an idiot, abusive driver) help keep my engine in one piece and usable for years.
Sponsored