The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Musclebadger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic EX Hatchback

Total tuned time: 1 months

Total tuned mileage: 2,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: TSP stage 1 map 1

Fuel used: 83

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: Tune makes it a lot nicer needing to pass people. I don't have to worry about waiting for power to show up after I am half way through. TSP tune seems to be similar to stock, quicker response, more power, but I can drive low key without worry about the car taking off. Having the option to change the mapping on the fly is nice in case I want to have that extra boost. I will say I managed to get 46 mpg on the TSP tune map 3 on a 300 mile road trip.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the survey. You put 83 octane but you meant 93 right?

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took a trip to MA at probably 1000 miles there and I work 78 miles away so that's about 3500 miles there and then with the tune and especially now downpipe I just cruise a lot ?

And yeah man I tried this. Like the "main" is still on and CC off and then also with the whole thing off altogether and nothing. Very odd
Got it! Once I watched a video of someone do it, it was very easy to recreate. Should have done that in the beginning JUST LIKE ANYTHING YOU DO TO THE CAR IT'S ON YOUTUBE

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tuning Survey Car of the Month: VTEC R

It's always nice to get a survey submission from a Type R owner. He's obviously put a lot of work into making it stand out. I'm happy to honor him with our survey's first COTM. - gtman

109b5e89-2261-48c9-9ce8-14d9ba38f2d0-jpeg.jpg

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 8 months

Total tuned mileage: 3800 miles

1DA274A0-EA89-4C43-8D3C-570D149F664C.jpeg

Tuning device(s) used: originally KTuner on Now Hondata Flashpro with Hondata Fuel Upgrade System.

Tunes used: KTuner - canned tune and CAI from dealer 8 miles, then Hondata at 2800 miles.

D30A447A-170B-4ADE-9364-04CB24505BA0-01.jpeg

Fuel used: E85 (71-83 content depending on station and mix)

Additional engine mods: PRL full bolt on with Borla Catback. PRL flex fuel kit, PRL Intercooler and charge pipes. Mishimoto overflow tank and oil catch can.

f4b60ee6-a98f-49fa-98ff-675a28ea1297-jpeg.jpg

Driving style: Almost always driving in +R. Cruising with slight speed with aggressive bursts, Very hard rolls to 150-160s. Don’t dump clutch rev up 1st them hammer in second. Running stock clutch over chattery Clutch Masters 400. Stock Clutch runs fine never had a grind or a lockout. If you want to upgrade the clutch you will need a built engine and a twin disc. No reason to swap type R clutch unless you abuse it until your motor is fully built.

6A42B543-74F4-4A28-AB6E-B2F1B04AEA9F-01.jpeg

Tuning experience notes: Custom Dyno dual tune 93 Octane or any mix I run straight E85 on 25PSI. Advanced timing and high torque. Prepare to be at the pump a lot running straight E85 it burns 30% faster I have yet to check MPG. E85 is only like $1.80 a gallon compared to $2.90-$3.00 here so really spending less on fuel just fuel a lot more frequently. It's still very convenient that if I am traveling away and a station without E85 I can still use pump 93 and continue on with less power. It's an expensive but convenient method for a lot of power with convenience of fuel options vs mixing etc.

10ddd6c3-e8d7-4e5e-adc9-d73ea11bdd33-png.png

More plans after the PRL P600 is announced in detail.
Thank you for the feature @gtman you can update mileage if you’d like. 3800 before 5200 now.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) D31B6ADE-F228-44D4-BA02-470B22498598

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Mileage update

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sedan (EUDM)

Total tuned time: 28 months

Total tuned mileage: 40,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Starter21, TSP Stage for the non-Si, My custom 24psi tune

Fuel used: 100RON after custom tuned. 98RON on Starter21

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto Intake, Wagner Intercooler & piping

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: I've had all my turbo cars tuned. This is the first time I am using a tool on my own. Returning the car to factory from time to time for the dealer service visit reminds me how awesome tuning this car is :)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mileage update
Thanks for that. Mileage updates are a big part of keeping the reliability stats accurate. Wish more folks would update.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Type R

Total tuned time: 2.5 months

Total tuned mileage: 1,500 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Custom tuned on E30

Fuel used: E30 (93 Shell and E85 mix)

Additional engine mods: N/A

Problems/issues: N/A

Driving style: Track and tuning miles. Not a daily driver.

Tuning experience notes: Factory fuel pump is the bottleneck especially with ethanol. Pretty much tuned to reduce boost and increase timing. Reduced air charge limits to prevent fuel pump duty cycle from going over 90%. Peaks to about 22 psi and tapers to 18 psi in 80F ambient temp. Conservative tune to reduce clutch wear at peak tq. There's more room for higher tq in he 3-4k rpm range but car is tire limited.
Swap out the stock wheels and tires for a 9.5”+ wide setup. All my torque steer is gone from the additional power with the 20x10s and Hondata traction control.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This week's featured tuning survey:

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 21005-01_resize_32

hobby-man

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20200804_171953

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This week's featured tuning survey:

21005-01_resize_32.jpg

hobby-man

1.jpg
20200804_171953.jpg
Lucky me!!! :dance:

Seems like a good time to update!

Vehicle: 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: 20 months

Total tuned mileage: ~18,000 km

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Starter 21 + TSP Stage 1 for non-Si (MAF rescaled by D-rob) (current)

Fuel used: Petrocan 94 (exclusively now) + Shell V Power 91 ethanol free /Esso 91/93/Petrocan 91 (formerly)

Additional engine mods: 27WON CAI with Race MAF, 27WON FMIC, 27WON TIP, 27WON full exhaust (catted downpipe), PTP turbo blanket

Problems/issues: Rattle under hard boost, may be exhaust related, investigating. I think this is actually some downpipe rasp? No other issues noted.

Driving style: Slightly speedy on streets, hard bursts on highway or open roads

Tuning experience notes: Never modified a car before, having fun with tuning. Don't feel like the car is being hurt or that I'm taking a serious risk with the basemaps. Currently looking at clutch options before pushing for any more power. My upgrade path is probably a Competition clutch then a full custom tune. Turbo would be the final power step, but don't want to sacrifice low-end power so may stop with a clutch + tune.

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport hatch w/ Si powertrain

Total tuned time: 20 months

Total tuned mileage: 9000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Custom, ramped boost + misfire detection removal

Fuel used: pump 91 or E30 mix

Additional engine mods: Cold air intake, PRL FMIC

Driving style: Race/track/time attack. Car sees at least an hour of WOT per event.

Tuning experience notes: Tuning around the Clutch Master's FX725 is a bitch, poor DRob spent 4 revisions dialing in the low-load response such that the engine wouldn't outrun its own crank position sensor. The ramped boost profile and E30 fuel reduce heat on track, I drove the hatch for 12 consecutive WOT laps with stable water and oil temperatures - incredibly rare for a 10th gen.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Driving style: Race/track/time attack. Car sees at least an hour of WOT per event.

Tuning experience notes: Tuning around the Clutch Master's FX725 is a bitch, poor DRob spent 4 revisions dialing in the low-load response such that the engine wouldn't outrun its own crank position sensor. The ramped boost profile and E30 fuel reduce heat on track, I drove the hatch for 12 consecutive WOT laps with stable water and oil temperatures - incredibly rare for a 10th gen.
That's some seriously impressive reliability. Kudos to Derek!

NeptuneOg1

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Si

Total tuned time: About 3-4 months with TSP stage 1 tune.

Total tuned mileage: Around 6k miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V 1.2

Tunes used: KTuner TSP Stage 1 and Phearable 1.5 street and soon Race tune after catless downpipe install.

Fuel used: Chevron, Shell, Arco. On 91 pump

Additional engine mods: PRL Street CAI, Soon PRL Catless DP and FP.

Problems/issues: None (unrelated, but fog lights went out, changed bulbs and Fuse but still nothing. If you know why let me know)

Driving style: Chill driving, Occasionally step on it. Sometimes a pull here and there. Yesterday went on a cruise with the Phearable tune, first time the car has been ever abused and it took it pretty well.
Tuning experience notes: First time ever tuning a car. Have owned the car for almost 3 years now. And for the time the car has been tuned it has given me no problems. Will update once I get more mods or if anything happens. Overall pretty satisfied with TSP and Phearable. Though, I'll stick with Phearable over TSP as of now. Seems like the car is happier with their tune.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Si

Total tuned time: 11 months

Total tuned mileage: ~9,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: kTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 (~7k miles) | 27WON W1 Turbo base map w/ race MAF (~2k miles)

Fuel used: E85 + 93 Oct (35-40% ethanol mix)

Additional engine mods: RV6 catted dp & fp | MAPerformance catback race exhaust | PRL 'Cobra' CAI | Acuity short shifter, bushings, throttle pedal spacer | PRL intercooler & charge pipes | 27WON turbo inlet pipe | 27WON W1 drop-in turbo | PRL flex fuel kit | 27WON RMM | ACT HD street clutch kit w/ sprung disc | PRL SS braided clutch line | kzCMC (waiting to be shipped)

Driving style: A bit speedy/aggressive. Usually get on it at least 1-2 times most times I drive (b/c who doesn't want to hear that turbo spool?) Please note - I'm not an idiot driver and don't push the car very hard since I'm still running OTS tunes.

Tuning experience notes: No real concrete notes to share except everything has been great - knock control at 0.49, STFT/LTFT within +/- 10 of each other, IAT & IAT2 are good, etc. Granted I've only been running OTS tunes from either TSP or kTuner basemaps. I'm currently breaking in the ACT clutch. Once I put about 400-500 miles on it, then I'm going to get tuned by JaviTuned here in SoFlo. I will update once I get the custom tune and put some miles on it.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Current survey stats

Total tuned vehicles: 331
Total tuned miles driven: 4,636,900 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: dallasjhawk (89,000+)

Cars with major failures: 10 (3.0%)
Percentage of survey cars running reliably: 97.0%

Transmission type: CVT (102); Manual (229)

Hondata used as tuning device: 85
KTuner used as tuning device: 265
JB4 used as tuning device: 1
RaceChip used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 61
Most used OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (135)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (20)

Survey submissions by model: Si (152); 1.5T Non-Si (146); Type R (21); 2.0 NA (12)

Most used fuel: 93 octane (178)

Last edited:

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update a year later.

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: almost 3 years

Total tuned mileage: 20k miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Vit Stage 1, TSP Stage 2

Fuel used: Costco 93, Valero E85

Additional engine mods: See Signature

Problems/issues: Battery died once and replaced under warranty. AC compressor died and was replaced under warranty. Every few weeks my RV6 catted dp throws a cel. I need to turn defouler in a couple of turns to fix it. Haven't done it yet.

Driving style: Moderately Aggressive Map 3 Sport mode 26 mpg
Sponsored