The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick note about your survey updates. It would be great if people could update from time to time. Things like additional tuned miles, new bolt ons, different tune/tuning device used (etc.)...

If you do add updated information, don't edit your original post. Post the changes (updates) as a new post. That way it will be easier to add the info into the survey stats.

Thanks.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Update-major issues- completely carbon fouled injectors at 80k kms causing a very slight misfire, No codes, monitored misfire on KTuner, cylinder 3. Injectors replaced ($1200.00CAD), I’m working with Honda Canada to see if they can pay for parts only.

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 16 Months

Total tuned mileage: 71 k KMS, 96 k KMS total on car

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual-Factory/23psi, TSP Stage 1, current tune Phearable, no GOD mode Used for over a month

Additional engine mods: K&N drop in filter

Problems/issues: Fuel injectors replaced at 89k (Kms) to fix a minor misfire.

Driving style: Very moderate with aggressive bursts a couple of times each a day.

Gas- PetroCan Ultra 94 exclusively since tuned, other than 2 tanks of Shell 91 and a tank of Esso 91

First oil change completed-MM at 12000kms.

@gtman we should add first oil change to the list...

STOCK CLUTCH! Zero slip issues, no other issues with car. Phearable tune is amazing.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great to hear. Did you also replace the clutch or is the OEM handling it?
Nope, still using the OEM clutch. It is a champ, I don't get sloppy with the clutch like a lot of other people though, I am pretty quick to release, but smooth as well. So, I disengage the clutch usually with de-acceleration while doing so. It's the best way to disengage the clutch in my opinion. A lot of people are about that accelerate a bit and release the clutch at the same time life lol... I mean it works but over time, the clutch wears out faster. So just to be clear, I do as follows; "tap tap tap" the accelerator, then slowly let out until I am rolling then full release of the clutch, followed by acceleration. Maybe that's why I have had no real issues with it yet?
If I accelerate in 3rd+ under 3,500k, the clutch slips a little. So the real trick is to make sure you are not punching the accelerator under 3,500k... Really, just to be safe, 4,000k.
Again, all of this is just how I have been able to keep my OEM clutch stock with no issues.

My driving style is pretty rough, I usually bang gears quiet a bit, but not for no reasons of course. I'm usually running a mustang or something. I switch gears pretty quick, some times 1st-2nd you can hear a bang. I can confirm that the clutch is holding pretty well.

Now, there are a lot of times when I am short shifting a crap ton. "Example-I shift really slow with 15-20% throttle at 2,000k-2,500k"

NorrinRadd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Manual 1.5T, KTuner + TSP1
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5T

Total tuned time: 2 weeks ?

Total tuned mileage: < 500 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner 1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, tune 3 almost all the time

Fuel used: 93 octane only

Additional engine mods: PRL silicone hose + AEM Dryflow drop-in filter

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Usually conservative unless I have open winding roads ahead, then fairly aggressive.

Tuning experience notes: Coming from tuned Subarus, Volvos & Nissans, I was pretty impressed with the punch the TSP tune gave my little 1.5T daily driver Civic. Very happy with it so far. Still hitting 37mpg and have more than enough passing power when needed.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here are our current survey stats. The one thing that is staggering is how popular KTuner is. More than 75% of you have used or are currently using KTuner.

Total tuned participants: 303
Total tuned miles driven: 4,148,900 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: choo (81,000+)
Survey average tuned miles driven: 13,693

Cars with major failures: 8 (2.64%)
Percentage of survey cars running reliably: 97.36%

Transmission type:
CVT (98) (32.3%); Manual (205) (67.7%)

Hondata used as tuning device: 77 (23.8%)
KTuner used as tuning device: 245 (75.6%)
JB4 used as tuning device: 1
RaceChip used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 56 (18%)
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (123)

Most used fuel: 93 octane (164) (54%)

Konos44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 16 Months

Total tuned mileage: 16,000kms

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 - #1 during the winter, #2 during the summer, just switched to Phearables 2 weeks ago (about 150kms)

Fuel used: Mobil 1 - 87 in the winter, 91 during the summer

Additional engine mods: Burger Motorsports filter

Driving style: Very chill

Tuning experience notes: Prefer the more chill ramp up of the Phearables tune as well as the less bucking under off-throttle (engine braking).

gcapraz

First Name
Gökhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport plus
Country flag
gcapraz...

I used Hondata initially and switched to KTuner. I hear what you are saying but by using boost by gear, KTuner can protect the CVT by limiting boost in 1st, for example. You can also go into the boost table and reduce power strategically.

I think the key to having a tuned CVT and keeping it reliable isn't KTuner versus Hondata. It's knowing that you can't power brake launch and you can't tune for ultimate torque numbers below 4,000 rpm.
Sorry for late reply.
I agree with you you can use to save cvt with boost by gear. On the other hand, i guess ktuner is changing transmission settings compare with hondata. Because when i use ktuner, cvt shifts so hard. The driver can understand it looks like a jump so hard. But with hondata, cvt shifts up so smoothly like normal shifting. Its thought provoking.

About power brake for cvt, its killing it no matter what. Our turbos so small and very quick response in low rpm and also it creates high torq in low rpm.

If someone wants to make cvt happy, it needs to custom tune who can understand what cvt wants.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I know, KTuner does absolutely nothing in regard to changing transmission module settings.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 8 months

Total tuned mileage: 4841 (+1041 since last update)

Tuning device(s) used: originally KTuner @2800 miles switched to Hondata Flashpro with Hondata Fuel Upgrade System.

Tunes used: KTuner - canned tune and CAI from dealer 8 miles, then Hondata at 2800 miles.

Fuel used: E85 (71-83 content depending on station and mix)

Additional engine mods: PRL full bolt on with Borla Catback. PRL flex fuel kit, PRL Intercooler and charge pipes. Mishimoto overflow tank and oil catch can.

Driving style: Almost always driving in +R. Cruising with slight speed with aggressive bursts, Very hard rolls to 150-160s. Don’t dump clutch rev up 1st them hammer in second. Running stock clutch over chattery Clutch Masters 400. Stock clutch runs fine never had a grind or a lockout - not even a clutch slip on pulls. If you want to upgrade the clutch you will need a built engine and a twin disc. No reason to swap type R clutch unless you abuse it until your motor is fully built. Had some torque steer on stock wheels and tires, gone with 20x10 on TOYOs.

Tuning experience notes: Custom Dyno dual tune 93 Octane or any mix I run straight E85 on 25PSI. Advanced timing and high torque. Prepare to be at the pump a lot running straight E85 it burns 30% faster I have yet to check MPG. E85 is only like $1.80 a gallon compared to $2.90-$3.00 here so really spending less on fuel just fuel a lot more frequently. It's still very convenient that if I am traveling away and a station without E85 I can still use pump 93 and continue on with less power. It's an expensive but convenient method for a lot of power with convenience of fuel options vs mixing etc.

More plans after the PRL P600 is announced in detail - looking at 2.3L build along with turbo upgrade. @PRL Motorsports @4piston @Hondata

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 19F32EAF-A8E7-4C1D-9BA0-5602B63021ED

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) F10BC152-1227-41B4-AACF-6156F878366C

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 5148CEB5-5C9D-4563-9A28-3903779B2077

Last edited:

ivanCivix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Sport hatchback EUDM

Total tuned time: 6 months

Total tuned mileage: 8000 km

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner

Tunes used: starter 18, starter 21, custom boost target but always conservative and less or equals than 21)

Fuel used: 95 octane (EU)

Additional engine mods: none

Driving style: conservative but I like doing rolling pulls occasionally. Some spirited driving on curvy roads or no speed limit highways.

Tuning experience notes: car driveability improved a lot with tuning. Stock map from honda is very disappointing in my opinion. The way the turbo spools, the boost ramping and parth throttle settings give the feeling of a laggy car with much less hp and power. I guess they did it for emissions tests and because they know people got addicted to that low end torque spike but with these little engines turbocharged you can't just smash the pedal at each stop. With tuning I'm looking for those improvements and trying to add a bunch of hp but remaining in the safe side.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the survey Ivan! Your survey number 305.

Stock map from honda is very disappointing in my opinion. The way the turbo spools, the boost ramping and parth throttle settings give the feeling of a laggy car
I couldn't agree more. Folks out there who think the stock tune is good would go nuts if they tried something like a KTuner 21. It's a game changer.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I couldn't agree more. Folks out there who think the stock tune is good would go nuts if they tried something like a KTuner 21. It's a game changer.
The couple times I've flashed back to stock in the >2.5 years the car has been tuned with at least a reflash made the car amazingly sedate and unresponsive. Just stock boost levels with a bunch of enables set to change power delivery if it had been incorporated on the stock tune would have I think made for a lot more excitement and more glowing reviews. They dialed it back so hard to make the car feel linear kind of like the old K24Z7... but with a slug of extra torque in the middle with a little less incentive to rev in the last 1000 RPMs muted the character the car has once let loose a little.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The couple times I've flashed back to stock in the >2.5 years the car has been tuned with at least a reflash made the car amazingly sedate and unresponsive. Just stock boost levels with a bunch of enables set to change power delivery if it had been incorporated on the stock tune would have I think made for a lot more excitement and more glowing reviews. They dialed it back so hard to make the car feel linear kind of like the old K24Z7... but with a slug of extra torque in the middle with a little less incentive to rev in the last 1000 RPMs muted the character the car has once let loose a little.
Responding to the part I bolded... This. Exactly this.

So many people PM me asking if they should tune. They are all worried about the added boost. But like I tell them, a good tune is more than just adding boost. Just changing the turbo spooling, the part throttle turbo response setting and speeding up high throttle ramp adds major improvements even at bone stock psi levels.

I know Honda needs to worry about ultimate reliability but they went overboard dialing things down.
Sponsored

Last edited: