The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for adding your car and have fun with the tune. Don't forget to update your mileage and stuff from time to time.
I literally go on here at least 10x daily and tuned CVT reliability posts are what helped me learn enough to be comfortable doing this, so I am 10000% going to be updating and giving back to the community. I drive a lot - I've had my car 11 months, bought it new and have 32k miles, so I will be a great case for long term (or high mileage in a short time) reliability.
Sponsored

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 16 months+

Total tune mileage: 24,000 miles+

Tuning device: Ktuner

Tunes used: Homemade 21psi Ktuner tune with lower psi in "Gear" 1, flex fuel, aggressive turbo ramp or something like that - don't notice the difference in hard pushes tbh.

Fuel used: E30 - E50 mix chevron and g&m

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI, 2 step flex fuel, cusco motor mount, muffler delete

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: First 10 minutes warm up, than spirited driving with aggressive, constant speeding and harsh acceleration with wheel spin. Average about 22mpg. Canyon runs at full throttle monthly.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first car I have tuned. I love the additional power, and I am estimating about 220-250 whp/tq when mixed based on the cars I have raced and beat, and those I have lost to. I push my car to its limits daily with no engine issues yet. Planning on strengthening CVT and engine components and continuing to push power. Maybe tranny swap if nobody touches the CVT before me.
Destroyed CVT at 46k miles. 2 track days running e40. Temps around 100f. Successful replacement with SI 6sp. Follow my thread for update and more info coming soon. Added Prl downpipe and fp since making the original post.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Destroyed CVT at 46k miles. 2 track days running e40. Temps around 100f. Successful replacement with SI 6sp. Follow my thread for update and more info coming soon. Added Prl downpipe and fp since making the original post.
Holy shit! This is literally my plan if I blow my CVT. good to know it went well. I'm gonna follow your thread for sure

Edit: Damn 22mpg average... I have a lead foot and I get 26 at worst. That's some intense driving lol.

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si, 05 scion tc turbo , 98 honda civic turbo
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 civic si

Total tuned time: almost 2 month

Total tuned mileage: 3340 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro, currently using KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Hondata +6
TSP Stage 1
Phearable Stage 1.5 (currently)

Fuel used: 93 octane only and forever

Additional engine mods: 27won intake currently

Problems/issues:
None

Driving style: normally cruising with a few sprits here and their. Mainly a grip type of driver hanging curves.

Tuning experience notes: i tuned other cars before. Dont a lot of 5th and 6th civic.
Simply running the can tunes on the 10th gen till i learn enough about them and build the motor.

TheMarkedOne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic SI Coupe

Total tuned time: 12 months

Total tuned mileage: est 12,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Sams Club 93

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto SRI, PRL Downpipe, Frontpipe, Boomba Recirulating BOV

Problems/issues: Sparkplug in cylinder 1 blew out damaged and cracked the piston and block. (Motor is toast)

Driving style: No Chill, drop the clutch everywhere and top speed run any chance I get. Commute to college and work. Once done I would hit up the local meet and race anyone there, be it cruise or otherwise.

Tuning experience notes:
This is the first car I bought and I had no previous tuning experience or manual experience otherwise. I learned from my friends gti and bought this. I abused the car through and through day in and day out. But I loved the thrill and wanted more power. I tuned the car with a ktuner v1.2, my laptop and ordered a tune from tsp. Unfortunately doing one of my pulls the motor blew. I'm lucky to be alive and I don't own the vehicle anymore since I would be too irresponsible with it. Posted a more detailed thread about my dumbass lol.

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Driving style: No Chill, drop the clutch everywhere and top speed run any chance I get. Commute to college and work. Once done I would hit up the local meet and race anyone there, be it cruise or otherwise.

Tuning experience notes: ...
I abused the car through and through day in and day out. But I loved the thrill and wanted more power. I tuned the car with a ktuner v1.2, my laptop and ordered a tune from tsp. Unfortunately doing one of my pulls the motor blew. I'm lucky to be alive and I don't own the vehicle anymore since I would be too irresponsible with it. Posted a more detailed thread about my dumbass lol.
Appreciate your brutal honesty in admitting that your driving style and abuse led to the failure. Not many people would be so open and transparent. Thank you. :thumbsup: You've earned my respect.

_1slowsi_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Si
Country flag
vehicle 2019 coupe si
total tuned time: 5 months 1,200 miles
tuning device: ktuner 1.2v
tunes used: tsp stage 1
fuel used:91 shell
additional engine mods: k&n short ram
MAP Catback Exhaust street, megan racing downpipe and front pipe
driving style: occasional hard pulls only rolls not digs
problems\ issues downpipe split in half literally
tuning experience: none i watched videos on youtube aha never messed with anything.

_1slowsi_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Si
Country flag
vehicle 2019 coupe si
total tuned time: 5 months 1,200 miles
tuning device: ktuner 1.2v
tunes used: tsp stage 1
fuel used:91 shell
additional engine mods: k&n short ram
MAP Catback Exhaust street, megan racing downpipe and front pipe
driving style: occasional hard pulls only rolls not digs
problems\ issues downpipe split in half literally
tuning experience: none i watched videos on youtube aha never messed with anything.
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 61CA71EF-25EF-4343-AA21-14A6B6152DFA

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) FA20B89D-20A4-4AFB-8694-6AD7C11AFFCD

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 47DBF564-1104-4155-B40C-37F264D13CA7

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 6DF54B65-C768-46C0-82C4-3825DD63BB54

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
UPDATE #3:
Vehicle: 2017 Civic SI

Total tuned time: 24 months (previously 21)

Total tuned mileage: ~29,000miles
(was ~23,000 In previous post)

Tuning device(s) used:
(Hondata flashpro, currently using KTuner v1.2)

Tunes used:
(Currently on a custom flex tune from
D-Rob using ktuner. Custom tune on Hondata, Hondata +9psi, KTuner dual 19.5 and 23 psi map)

Fuel used: 93, E10-E33 blends, mainly E30

Additional engine mods:
(Flex fuel kit, Prl big turbo gtx2060R,
Prl Cobra CAI, Prl intercooler and charge pipes, catless downpipe, frontpipe, takeda 3-2 1/2in exhaust, fx400 with single mass lightweight flywheel)

Problems/issues: Nothing new to report

(Had a over boost issue on the first day after I put the turbo kit on. Has since been corrected and has not cropped up again.
On hondata +9 psi, engine went into limp mode about 3 times within 2 week period. Seemed to happen when I suddenly let off the throttle after WOT between 4k-5k rpms. Turning the engine off and then back on fixed the issue. Havent had this issue crop up again since then.)

Driving style:
My day to day driving style is a mix between aggressive, spirited driving and relaxed cruising depending on the type of road. Plenty of WOT pulls.

Tuning experience notes: 39,106 miles on the odo.
About 11,000 of those with the big turbo on with plenty of aggressive driving. I've done many races with buddies on abandoned back roads. No hard launches though. Probably about 10 or so 1-2 hour crusie sessions with spirited driving since having the turbo on. And two 9 hour trips between DC and GA.
The tune is amazing. Knock control has only budged higher than 0.49 since being on the tune from drob once and that was only to .53 near the end of a 2 hour session of hard driving. Fuels trims stay mostly at 0 with ltft at +/- 3 occasionally and stft at +/- 6 occasionally.
I have a built block from tsp so I'm not worried about the motor blowing. I just really want to see how long the stock block will last with proper maintenance and semi-good driving habits (no engine lugging, no WOT pulls below 3k rpms, no antilag, etc.)

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes. But it's pretty easy to use the CC buttons to switch to a different map. Literally takes 5 seconds.

So for example, after work I may be in the mood for getting home fast. Start up the car, switch to Map 3 in my parking spot and away I go.
You can map switch without the unit connected?? I had no idea. Thought it was stuck in Map 1 without it lol.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can map switch without the unit connected?? I had no idea. Thought it was stuck in Map 1 without it lol.
Well, considering my V2 isn't connected and I regularly switch maps on the fly (which by the way is crazy fun) it definitely works.

So, I'll be cruising along in map 1 and see a WRX or GTI in my rear view rapidly approaching. I quickly put it in map 3 "just in case". :cool:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well, considering my V2 isn't connected and I regularly switch maps on the fly (which by the way is crazy fun) it definitely works.

So, I'll be cruising along in map 1 and see a WRX or GTI in my rear view rapidly approaching. I quickly put it in map 3 "just in case". :cool:
I like to leave my V2 connected but good to know!!

gcapraz

First Name
Gökhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport plus
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Sport Plus Touring Hatch

Total tuned time: 1 Year

Total tuned mileage: 12.000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2 and Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Ktuner Dual 21psi, Ktuner Custom 21psi/26psi
Hondata FlashPro Custom Tune 1.4 bar setting.

Fuel used: E5 Pump gasoline and additional toluen 5lt per full tank
%50 Methanol - %50 Water

Additional engine mods: 3" Custom Downpipe-Frontpipe, Mishimoto Performance Intake with customized for more air and additional air pipe, 11 liter custom intercooler and aluminium intercooler in and out pipes, Bosphorus Innovation Stage 1,5 Methanol kit, air vent bump holes cvt cooler and cooler fan.

Problems/issues: Engine has not got ability to achive over 1.6 bar oem turbo bar pressure. Because pistons havent got that strenght. I broke pistons oil rings area so i lost the pressure for one cylinder.

Driving style: Everyday minimum 50km driving between home and work. Between 5-7lt/100km fuel consumption. Econ mode has 180 nm torque control setting. Its so smooth.

Tuning experience notes: Its not the first time tuning a car. I also built a drag car in 2006 and also tuned custom by myself. First i used ktuner. I did not have full support for my ecu. I just have initial support. Mostly settings were closed. So i could not get what i want to customize tuning settings. Then i change into Hondata FlashPro. It has got full support. So i started from the begining. Ktuner and hondata base maps are totally different. Ktuner made some customized tuning tables and also changed some table that user can not see. So with ktuner, car goes well but users can not understand how it works. With Hondata, They just changed boost table and others are all stays with factory setting. The most important thing for tha hondata, every user can reach the all settings that you can not reach it with ktuner. Especially knock ignition tables works not the same as ktuner. In ktuner knock ignition table looks same as hondata table but ktuner works +1 or +2 more than hondata. It try to figure it out in 3 month with that. After that everything is happy with me for tuning hondata. Especially torque limitation settings protects cvt transmission. If any car has cvt, must use hondata. Its just my idea.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
gcapraz...

I used Hondata initially and switched to KTuner. I hear what you are saying but by using boost by gear, KTuner can protect the CVT by limiting boost in 1st, for example. You can also go into the boost table and reduce power strategically.

I think the key to having a tuned CVT and keeping it reliable isn't KTuner versus Hondata. It's knowing that you can't power brake launch and you can't tune for ultimate torque numbers below 4,000 rpm.
Sponsored