The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 6 8 months

Total tuned mileage: 5,000 6500 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Starter 23; TSP Stage 1 MAP 3; Custom Tune from DRob (current)

Fuel used:
Chevron 93 + MAPCO E85
(MAPCO is unfortunately the only E85 vender in my area, so I use pump gas at Chevron for the top-tier detergents and then finish at MAPCO for the flex fuel blend)

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI (RACE MAF), PRL Intercooler + Charge Piping, PRL Catted Downpipe/Front Pipe, MAPerformance Street Exhaust, Hasport 62A Rear Motor Mount, PRL Flex Fuel Kit

Problems/issues:
None. The car drives like a good dream.

Driving style: Spirited

Tuning experience notes:
Tuning/modding this car has been tons of fun, and has made this car a true joy to drive. I previously owned a 2016 EXT CVT, which has a separate entry in this database, and I had tons of fun with that as well, before deciding to upgrade to an Si. The 10th gen civic is my first dive into modifying cars, so this forum has been instrumental in guiding my modding decisions. The off-the-shelf tunes for this platform are amazing, but the custom tune I received from DRob is absolutely incredible. The refinement, smoothness, performance, and safety of this tune are on a whole new level. K Con, Fuel Trims, ECT, and IAT stay at extremely safe levels. Cannot recommend a custom tune from @D-RobIMW enough. He's very good to work with and is very responsive. His website is https://www.imwtuned.com/store/p4/etune.html
Sponsored

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T LX 6MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatchback (non-Sport) 1.5T 6MT

Total Vehicle Mileage: 41,000 (car was bought new by my wife in October 2018 and we've done many road trips while engaged and since getting married in April)

Total tuned time: 9 days

Total tuned mileage: ~1000 miles (we took a road trip from Nashville to Northern Indiana for our post-wedding reception over the weekend)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: KTuner base/stage tunes, Two Step Performance Stage 1

Fuel used: Top-Tier 93 octane only

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: Clutch slipped (once) during a 4th gear pull while executing a pass on a freeway, while I was driving my wife's car. To the best of my remembrance, I began the pass in 4th or 5th gear (honestly can't remember which), with engine RPM between 3000-4000 RPM. When full turbo boost was achieved, around 4000 RPM, the clutch began to slip, and RPM suddenly rose to around 5000 RPM before I realized what was happening and let off the throttle. This was during a road trip, and I had it in Map 3 (the TSP-1 tune). After this happened, I switched to the 16.5 psi tune and kept it that way for the rest of the trip. I did a couple of wide-open pulls in 16.5 psi tune, with no slippage. I hope there's no damage to the clutch. I should point out, also, that this one slippage incident happened with approximately a 450-500 lb load in the car (my wife and I, @ approx. 350 lbs for the both of us, plus approximately 100-150 lbs of luggage and cargo (we were bringing home gifts from our post-wedding reception).

Driving style: It's my wife's car (her daily driver) and she drives it normally to commute and run errands. I drive the car on our weekends when we're together. The car has only been tuned for 9 days as of this post, and she hasn't even used Map 3 (TSP-1) yet. We took a trip from Nashville to Northern Indiana over the weekend (about 1000 miles total). I drove the whole time, and kept it pretty conservative most of the time, with a few wide-open pulls. It was during one of those wide-open pulls, in either 4th or 5th, when the one instance of clutch slip occurred.

Tuning experience notes: I'm a tuning novice. This is my first time tuning a car, but I am not mechanically inexperienced. I am a certificated A&P mechanic, and I know my way around cars, motorcycles, engines, etc.

Last edited:

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah... I’m just not at home at the moment. ?

I gotcha, do it when you can, and man, another tip, do it while its in the fall season so that you break in the insert in the cool temps while you don't have to run your AC.... The vibrations can be quiet embarrassing at first.... when you pull up in that new 10th gen lol. My buddy said it took his about 3 months to stop shaking its self apart.... I had to take mine out, I couldn't take it anymore

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR #45050 (Sold) 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 EXT Coupe CVT

Total tuned time: 6 Months

Total tuned mileage: ~7,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 2

Fuel used: 91/93

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues:
Thrown rod but iffy circumstances - (Copy Pasted from a different thread I replied to) "I threw a rod in my previously tuned 2016 EXT, no tune for maybe a month before it blew. They repaired it under powertrain warranty - I think I got extremely lucky based on what I've read. Even the manager mentioned that people "like to change the PCM on these little 1.5s" Not sure how they wouldn't have known what I did in the past unless changes to the ECU are erased after X amount of miles."

"I went on vacation leaving my car with my cousin, told him 91+ fuel only. He admittedly put in 87 and was pulling hard on the freeway 110+ MPH.

The same night that I get the car back, a spark plug totally fails and I go limp mode, have to replace it. It was good for 5 more months, then I get all sorts of lights on dash and flash back to stock. Car starts to misfire maybe a week later, bad plugs once more, replaced again. Maybe another week later I throw a rod pulling from a stop sign under 2K RPMS on stock tune."

Driving style: Mostly normal, slightly aggressive when feeling it.

I think this happened due to abuse and incorrectly gapped plugs, I have decided to try my luck again on my new 2020 hatch (MT) with TSP stage 1, which will be driven by myself and only myself. I'll contribute to this thread once I get a few thousand miles on that tune.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T LX 6MT
Country flag
Suggest being careful with full boost at lower RPM (say, <4000 or so), especially in gears 4-6. I’m running an identical setup to you, and I experienced clutch slip after having the TSP-1 tune for about a week.

Admittedly, our car is a 2018 with >40K miles.

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR #45050 (Sold) 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Suggest being careful with full boost at lower RPM (say, <4000 or so), especially in gears 4-6. I’m running an identical setup to you, and I experienced clutch slip after having the TSP-1 tune for about a week.

Admittedly, our car is a 2018 with >40K miles.
I have enabled BBG in 4th 20psi with ramp up, and 5/6 gears 15psi no ramp in hopes of preventing clutch slip for exactly this reason

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I need to look into that. I wasn’t aware that BBG was an option on the TSP-1 tune.
It is. Along with KTuner's excellent Advanced VSA.

Derek leaves it all factory except he does have BBG set to 18 psi in 1st IIRC.

Chirp the 1-2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX
Country flag
2020 Civic EX CVT 1400 miles.
Untuned, PRL Cobra intake.
Noticed an oil leak at the bottom of the engine specifically under the CVT.
Took it to Honda and they say it looks like it's coming from the gasket where the CVT connects to the housing where the flywheel is. They cleaned it off and said bring it back in when it's wet again and we will split the case. I'll keep you guys updated as I think this is one of the few times I've heard of this happening.
Just my luck, guess I can't tune this thing anytime soon. :(

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20201011_101239

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I already saw you posted this elsewhere (and responded). Once fixed under warranty I personally would have no hesitation to tune.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is. Along with KTuner's excellent Advanced VSA.

Derek leaves it all factory except he does have BBG set to 18 psi in 1st IIRC.
wait bbg is available on TSP 1, for just cvt or Si too? I havent been in the tune in so long I forgot

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's open for both actually.

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: 4 months

Total tuned mileage: 4200 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Fuel used: Exxon 93

Additional engine mods: Prl cobra intake, mishimoto intercooler, greddy exhaust, hasport mount, type r retrofit( not installed), kzcmc ( not installed)

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Leaving Northern Virginia you are in traffic most of the time. I have an occasional wot pull for one gear

Tuning experience notes: Ktuner is an excellent choice for tuning software. I could teach my kids to use it, which makes it a winner in my book. I'm currently running stock improved/ 19.5 tune. Don't really have time to install the clutch, so I will up the boost in the spring.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si sedan

I'm currently running stock improved/ 19.5 tune. Don't really have time to install the clutch, so I will up the boost in the spring.
You could safely up the boost with no real clutch issues to speak of on a base KTuner tune. Especially if you use boost by gear in the lower gears.