The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2018 Civic HB Sport 1.5T (6MT)

Tuning experience notes: This is my first MT car. I was driving on Map 1 for the first 4000 miles into the tune just to feel comfortable with the throttle sensitivity. Recently I have been driving on map 2 and it has been my goto map. I've been hyper aware in monitoring boost levels and avoiding boost when being in overdriven gears (5/6). So far I've been happy with map 2.
Thanks for the addition. I'm with you... the TSP Stage 1 tune rocks.

Current tuned CivicX survey stats
(as of 9/6/20)

Total tuned vehicles: 325
Total tuned miles driven: 4,506,200 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: dallasjhawk (89,000+)

Cars with major failures: 10 (3.1%) *
Percentage of survey cars running reliably: 96.9% **

Transmission type: CVT (101); Manual (224)

Hondata used as tuning device: 85
KTuner used as tuning device: 259
JB4 used as tuning device: 1
RaceChip used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 60
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (132)

Survey submissions by model: Si (150); 1.5T Non-Si (142); Type R (21); 2.0 NA (12)

Most used fuel: 93 octane (175)
Sponsored

aizzataffero

Banned
Banned
First Name
Aizzat Affero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X
Country flag
UPDATE: problems now! Nothing crazy but about 800 miles after posting this I am currently getting an intermittent U0155 and associated codes. Dashboard gauges disconnecting with sensors it seems after some digging around. Only happens with KTUNER v2 plugged in and read somewhere that a similar code popped up with a bad OBD2 wire for the v2. Ill swap it out and update if it fixes. Vehicle operates fine and I can still see revs and speedometer

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) {filename}
Did u manage clear your error code? I got similar error code pop up today

datboostedFK7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
April Fools 2021 came early? :rolleyes:

There is a potential fix for your missing CD player issue: Drive your untuned Civic X to the nearest Radio Shack and purchase an aftermarket CD player. :cool: Cause as we all know, CD's are cutting edge technology and Radio Shack only carries the best. While you're there be sure to pick up one of those new fangled Tandy computers.

On a more serious note, your "info" won't be added to the survey stats.
we aint got no radio shacks in my area they all closed i can at least order one thru crutchfield

Brandon21

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Does anyone know what tunes has been most reliable with CVT? Looking at Ktuner, TSP stage 1 or Hondata. I wasn't sure which would be better long term. I heard TSP is worse at low end would that protect CVT more than other tunes?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They are all perfectly fine with the CVT. Don't brake launch or abuse your ride, use BBG in "1st" and the CVT will hold up rather well.

With KTuner you also have many easy user settings (with their starter tunes) that allow you to fine tune your tune.

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Update**

Vehicle: 2018 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 1 year 2 months

Total tuned mileage:
12500 miles

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 without God Mode

Fuel used: Petro-Canada 94

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI

Problems/issues:
Clutch slippage, had to break the bank and get a Competition clutch kit stage 2, other than that, the car is running great! No issue whatsoever with the engine.

Driving style: Mostly highway and 15 mins trip to the gym, depending on the day I might give it some gas and redline if I feel like it.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update.

Haven't had many new surveys or updates recently. Hopefully we can get more people onboard because each survey (or update) helps build a nice little CivicX tuning database.

meclaymore

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 1 Month

Total tuned mileage: 600 KM

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 (Non-god mode)

Fuel used: PetroCanada 94

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI Street

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Tame aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning and it was very easy. Monitoring my fuel trims and knock control via Tunerview lite

Shingo_FK7

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
*Update
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback

Total Vehicle Mileage: 6,300 Miles

Total Tuned Time: 11 months

Total Tuned mileage: ~5,000miles

Tuning device: hondata flashpro

Tunes used: tsp stage one, now basemap e85 tune, And power metrics flexfuel tune.

Fuel Used: shell 91 nitro power and Pump e85

Engine mods: Prl cobra CAI race maf, hondata, PRL Street downpipe, ACT street lite heavy duty clutch kit, borla exhaust, and Siri-Moto Flexfuel kit.

problems: front passenger side strut of my D2 coilovers blew a seal but was warrantied out and is getting replaced. Also a P0420 code because the K&N with a unscaled MAF adjustment for the basemap tune is causing me to run super rich.
*edit
K&N is out of the picture and car doesn’t run super rich anymore with the

Driving style: Daily driven, low mileage, with occasional spirited trips.

Tuning experience notes: everything is great so far, hoping to get a dyno tune soon!

Last edited:

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 9/11/2020

Vehicle: 2019 Sport Touring Hatch

Total tuned time: 1 Day 1 Month

Total tuned mileage: 60 miles 6000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2 w/tunerview

Tunes used: Ktuner Starter 16, Ktuner starter 18, Ktuner Starter 21 dual map

Fuel used: Speedway 93 (exclusively)

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto Performance Intake, Afe Twisted Steel Catted Downpipe, Greddy Supreme SP Cat-Back

Problems/issues: weird turbo noise that I posted about but ktuner replied that it sounds like it was the bypass. I think I've been making too much boost and it's dumping some out. In the process of dialing this back with BBG and such.

Can't figure out how to switch maps OTF. I've tried every combo of button pressing and cruise control on/off etc. I have the sensing crap like ACC and LKAS and I think it is a different button press sequence on these models or something. If anyone has a model with all this sensing and has been able to do OTF switching please chime in!

Driving style: I drive pretty far for work (78 miles) so most of my miles are easy highway but I do like to rip it up for a little bit every day. Not WOT throttle every day but mostly pulling out of a corner pretty quick. Definitely push it a bit more with the downpipe... it just sounds so good when I open it up. Still not WOT but I find myself up in the 4000 and 5000 rpm range more since I've installed the DP.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning, but I intend to learn a ton about it. I'm going to run the starter 16 map for a few weeks, learn what values my car runs at and how they compare to others', and then maybe go up a level and repeat until I'm satisfied! probably going to get a custom tune once I get a downpipe. No custom tune yet, still playing with starter maps. May purchase TSP at some point soon but really if I find the right quick adjusts and get things dialed in I may be happy with the ktuner starter maps for a long time. The only thing I don't like is

Already happy with my purchase, definitely worth it! Update 1000000% worth it.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a quick note about your survey updates. It would be great if people could update from time to time. Things like additional tuned miles, new bolt ons, different tune/tuning device used (etc.)...

If you do add updated information, don't edit your original post. Post the changes (updates) as a new post. That way it will be easier to add the info into the survey stats.

Thanks.
I quoted my old one but made it a new post and crossed stuff out that didn't apply.... Is this constructive for your tallying and such? I just wanted to keep traceability but after thinking about it simply replying to the original would allow someone to follow the lovely little arrow and find the previous ones.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What you did was perfectly fine. Just the fact that you updated is awesome.

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 9/11/2020
You drive 6000 miles in a month???

Be sure to turn OFF cruise control.This is what caused me issues. lol.
Hold cancel for 2-3 seconds.
Use the cc (+, -) buttons to switch maps.
Press cancel again to hold the setting.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 8 Months

Total tuned mileage: 13,000km

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Stage 2 (for a bit), 21 PSI, currently Dual 21 PSI/ECO

Fuel used: Mostly 91. During the snowy months for 2-3 months I used 87/89 and did little to no spirited driving during that time.

Additional engine mods: None, only tune and springs. Will be adding a CAI and downpipe soon though.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. Maybe once a week I'll do some WOT on backroads.
Just wanted to update my post. I've made some significant mods to the car over the last few months and have "finished" the build for the near future. Now will be the real test of these base tunes.

Vehicle: 2019 Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 11 Months

Total tuned mileage: 15,000km

Tunes used: Stage 2 (for a bit), 21 PSI, currently Dual 21 PSI/ECO starter with early spool on and most quick adjustments to improved II. I drive with a 17 PSI map 90% of the time unless I do some aggressive driving where I turn it to 21psi.

Fuel used: Mostly 91. During the snowy months for 2-3 months I used 87/89 and did little to no spirited driving during that time.

Additional engine mods: Street CAI, FMIC, Catted DP

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time with my 17PSI map. Maybe once a week I'll do some WOT on backroads with a 21 PSI map.

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
*Updated* 9/12/2020

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT

Total tuned time: 3 Years, 4 Months

Total tuned mileage: 36,000 miles (29k Ethanol Blend)

Tunes used: Stage 2, Starter 21 Dual, Vit Viper Custom 93 Octane, Vit Viper Custom E30 Blend, Derek Robinson Custom 93, Derek Robinson E30 Blend (Current)

Fuel used: Chevron 93 Octane, Sunoco E85, Sunoco 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: PRL Front Mount Intercooler Kit, Greddy Supreme Sp Catback, BMS SRI, aFe Front Pipe

Problems/issues: Stock clutch has slipped when applying more than 50% throttle in higher gears (3-6), from the lower rpms (below 4k). Upgraded to Type R Retro Fit

Driving style: Usually drive fast (10-15 mph overspeed limit), although not always agressive. Occasional fun, and mexico, numerous quarter mile passes (track & Mexico) etc.

Tuning experience notes: First time ever tuning a vehicle.
Sponsored