The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
It is the same app as the phone/tablet app, but without things like video overlay etc. The connectivity issues are generally with the head unit hardware, though we never had any issues with our Si.

Knock count is not what to keep an eye on for this platform to signify health. Knock control is!
Sponsored

Nigel_FC1_DK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic sedan Elegance

Total tuned time: 9 months First owner of it, was sitting at dealership with 300 mile on it the first year

Total mileage: 9000

Total tuned mileage: 8000
+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Hondata +6 . Running modified Hondata Flexfuel +9 map lowered it down to 8 and reduced the boost target in range 2500-3500rpm

Fuel used: RON 100 (VP X85 to hit 30-40% but not daily)

Additional engine mods: PRL IC + charge pipes. (Not running FlexFuel on street as it is not available at gas stations)

Problems/issues: Clutch is struggling.

Driving style: Eco driving my car when i drive it, But when i play with it in the weekend, I Flat foot shift and Pedal dances to disable Traction control ;-D No 2 step or rolling antilag want to keep my engine alive ;-D

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Keep those surveys coming. A big thank you to everyone who has contributed a tuning survey so far. :thumbsup:

TUNED CIVIC X RELIABILITY SURVEY STATS
* Updated today

Total tuned participants: 246
Total tuned miles driven: 3,476,500 (estimated)
Most tuned miles: choo's '17 Sport Hatch (81,000+)

Tuned cars with major failures: 5
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 98.0%

Transmission type: CVT (83); Manual (163)

Hondata used as tuning device: 61
KTuner used as tuning device: 199
JB4 used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 50
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (92)

Most tuned vehicle: Civic Si
Most used fuel: 93 octane (133)

Szn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 3 Months on TSP Stage 1, 4 Months on TSP Stage 2

Total tuned mileage: 8500+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP 1, TSP 2 - Map 3 on both.

Fuel used: 93oct, E37ish Blend

Additional engine mods: PRL Flex Fuel Kit, PRL Cobra CAI

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Normally casual w/ trips to ------ daily.

Tuning experience notes: Ethanol definitely wakes this little 1.5l up.

Last edited:

p_D

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT

Total tuned time: 10 months

Total tuned mileage: 30,000Km

Tuning device(s) used:
Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner Dual Tune Factory/21psi with a few settings modified

Fuel used: 91 all the time

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto Short Ram Intake, Acuity Stage 2 Short Shifter Adapter Kit

Driving style: Mostly normal with the occasional spirited driving moments when I have the road to myself

Tuning experience notes: Everything running smoothly but do recommend turning down boost in 1st, 5th and 6th to help save the stock crappy comfort clutch in the Non-Si manuals.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 2 months+

Total tune mileage: 600 miles+

Tuning device: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1 (Current)

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: None today but plan to use aftermarket replacement filter, freeflow DP, and upgrade IC.

Problems/issues: Concern on fuel trim. The car running 5%-15% too rich. Cannot adjust the AFM because the calibration is locked. I'm thinking about asking TSP team to unlock the calibration for me to adjust the AFM or have TSP team adjusting the AFM for me to make the car running less rich.

Driving style: Stop-and-go traffic 95% of the time with occasional morning run (05:30 AM) weekdays and 06:00 AM in the weekend.

Tuning experience notes: This is my 3rd car I have tuned but this is my first experience with canned tune. I used professional tuner service in the past and had my car tuned on rolling dyno but Civic is an exception and I am happy that I make the right decision to purchase TSP Stage 1 tune. I haven't dyno the car but do plan to go to dyno to measure the power and check the actual boost.
Update:

Total tuned time:
5 months

Total tune mileage: 2,285 miles

Tuning device: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1, Self-made 19 PSI (Current)

Fuel used
: 98 RON (93 Octane?)

Additional engine mods: None today but plan to use aftermarket replacement filter, freeflow DP, and upgrade intercooler.

Problems/issues: I'm very concern with the fact many of tuned Civic in my country experience damaged conrod with boost higher than 21 PSI. I know this might sounded funny for most of you here but this is fact in my country. I found out TSP Stage 1 peak boost at about 23 PSI with occasional brief over-boost to 26 PSI. I also found out torque limit was set higher than 250 nm from 3,500 RPM and up. Due to these concerns, I decided to tune the engine myself.

Driving style: Stop-and-go traffic 95% of the time with occasional morning run (05:30 AM) weekdays and 06:00 AM in the weekend.

Tuning experience notes: I love my 19 PSI custom tune. It's not as fast as TSP Stage-1 but it is fun in its own way. Car feels like a bit quicker than stock below 2,500 RPM but past 2,750 RPM, the car picks up speed nicely. "Torque limit" is within Hondata spec of 250 nm maximum torque limit. I also tune the AFM so my STFT looks much decent (betwen -10% and 0) than any canned tune including Hondata basemap (between -15% and -4%). If I ever to perfect the tune with the help of professional tuner, I will definitely use my custom 19 PSI tune as the base and only ask to perfect the AFM, as well as improve fuel and ignition tuning, without changing boost parameters.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sedan Touring - CVT

Total tuned time: 3 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Shell, Costco, Chevron (91 only)

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI, PRL Intercooler (Stock pipes)

Driving style: 90% highway - pretty aggressive and always on MAP 3.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Try to set, in tunerview settings, autoconnect delay to 1000.
Screenshot_20200519-195908.png
I've tried just about any configuration of those settings you can imagine to no avail. Also deleting and reinstalling the app, resetting Bluetooth on the head unit, doing a head unit reset, battery cable pull, etc.

It is the same app as the phone/tablet app, but without things like video overlay etc. The connectivity issues are generally with the head unit hardware, though we never had any issues with our Si.

Knock count is not what to keep an eye on for this platform to signify health. Knock control is!
It was my understanding that knock count can be used in conjunction with knock control to determine if spikes in knock control are preventative or reactive.

Although I suppose I should expect knock control to spike much higher than 0.75-0.80 if there is a real problem, no?

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
*UPDATE* 4th time
ORIGINALLY POSTED ON 04/09/2020

Vehicle:
2020 civic Si.

Total Tuned Time: 2 months. (First tuned on 04/01/2020)

Total Tuned Mileage: *
*Update* 05/28/2020 Odometer reads 16,050 *Update 05/14th/2020* Odometer reads roughly 14,800k miles.

Total tuned miles by date.
05/28/2020
3250 miles.
05/14/2020
2,000 miles.
05/01/2020
1,500 miles.
04/01/2020
400 miles.

*Was at 400 miles when I first posted the miles tuned. *

Tuning Device Used: KTuner V2.

Tunes & Settings Used: *Update 05/14/2020* [PRIMARY & Current TSP Stage 1 street]
[Previous Tune Starter ~ Base/23.5] (Throttle Response 1. 2-STEP SETUP @ 3950k-4000k-No Rev hang)

Fuel Used: 93 Only.

Additional Engine Mods: PRL silicone hose / K&N panel replacement/drop in filter.

Problems/Issues:
*Update* 05/28/2020 (Same rare issue)Jerky throttle is more related to a limp throttle. Associated with large some knock counts maybe missfire?
*Update 05/14/2020* TSP stage 1 - Rare issue, but it seems to give me some jerky thottle respones every so often. Also, im running super rich. After 2-3 70mph pulls, my exhaust smells like fireworks. Elevation is at 544. Ive noticed that I get a lot more knock counts(like some times in 10 minutes 30+),and an occasional rise in knock control. Usually to 0.52-0.54.
I will start looking for better fuel in town.

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si Coupe

Current Mileage: 50,100

Total tuned time: 5 Months

Total tuned mileage:
~10,000 miles

Fuel Used: U.S. 93 Octane usually Speedway gas station bc its the closest near my place

Additional engine mods: PRL "Street" Cold Air Intake, PRL Downpipe, MAPerformance Race Exhaust, 27Won RMM

Problems/issues:
smoke bellowing out the exhaust after downpipe install at 45,000 miles but I changed my oil bc it was overfilled and put the correct amount and got the same TSP stage 1 tune but changed the idle to 1100. I don't know what ACTUALLY fixed the problem bc I did both almost at the same time but the problem seems fixed, 5,000 miles later and no hiccups everything seems to be in check.

Driving style: Majority of the time cruising 5 above the speed limit, 1-3 WOT a week if that and some spirited driving along the way.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 8 months

Total tuned mileage: 7k+

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: factory tune/24psi no rev hang

Fuel used: 7-11 or Exxon 93 octane with Lucus fuel injector cleaner random intervals

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: Slight clutch slippage only when wot with sport mode on

Driving style: 80-85 highway when traffic allows and 10-20mph over recommended speed limit on yellow signs

Tuning experience notes: first time tuning. I went for max boost that the ktuner allows. Most settings are pretty much default besides the rev hang toggled off.

Zeffenn

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 3 days

Total tuned mileage: 76 miles

Fuel used: Shell 93 only

Driving style: Mostly city driving in 45 mph speed zones. Occasional beating on the car in mostly 4th gear.

Tuning experience notes: I've previously built and personally tuned another project using a Megasquirt ECU, I've also tuned multiple vehicles using Hondata S300. This is my first experience using K Tuner hardware/software, so I went with the TSP Stage 1. From what I've read on this forum, this tune will max the factory clutch out. This is also why my engine is all stock besides the tuner currently. When the clutch is replaced in the future, I will likely add bolt-ons and work on creating a personal custom tune.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. One of the things that stands out with the survey is how much more popular KTuner is over Hondata. By almost a 4-1 margin.

likewater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 500

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Fuel used: 91 Octane only "76" because it's close to my house. Will run 93 when I get a chance to get some from a local station

Driving style: Casual with occasional roll romps - 3500RPM+ only. No lower RPM pulls and no hard digs. Run in Map 2 mostly

Tuning experience notes: I am new to the Si scene but have had several other forced induction vehicles, with my all time favorite being the B8 Platform Audi S4. With that car, I went with APR…transformed the car but the tune was really just “plug and play” no user available adjustments were provided. With the Si, I have yet to play with the KTuner since I have no other supporting mods, and based on how good the TSP maps are out of the box, I feel there really is no need. As with others, I'm worried about the clutch beginning to slip eventually so I'm staying put for now. If I keep the car when the lease ends, I’ll begin adding supporting mods and will most likely start to mess with the settings a bit more. For now though, I couldn’t be happier.
Sponsored