The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Charles, like I've told others, just do a new post highlighting the changes so I can adjust the survey stats.
Sponsored

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I’m going on 3 weeks and I love it so far had a little issue with gas because 93 isn’t readily available in California but with 1 gallon of e85 my knock control went from .7 to .49 immediately after a good drive. I’d be curious to know what Honda found as well something must’ve gave out for this to happen whenever I hear bent valves on multiple cylinders it’s always been timing related in my years of being under the hood but I’m no tune expert by any means so I’m not sure

boibuddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 22 months

Total tuned mileage: 55k km (35k miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V 1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner basemap for a couple of months, currently using TSP stage 1 for last 20 months

Fuel used: Chevron 94 (CDN, ethanol free) mixed with E85 to get to E10

Additional engine mods: removed intake resonator for extra induction noise

Problems/issues: finding quality gas in my area (BC, Canada). Premium gas here doesn't have ethanol mixed in; our 94 is probably similar to California 91.

At the drag strip, TSP1 map 2 and map 3 gave me similar E.T.s because the computer was pulling so much timing using our 94 ethanol free gas.

Driving style: grandpa style in everyday driving; spirited driving when no one is around.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first car where I ran any sort of tune. It was fun playing with the quick enables in KTuner, knowing they are pretty safe.

After getting the TSP1 tune, I quickly realized how poor the gas quality was in my area.
Once an E85 station opened up near me, I decided to mix my own E10 gas similar to that found in the US. Now my knock control is locked at 0.49 no matter how much I'm hooning around.

Thanks to @KTuner and @Two Step Performance and for putting out great products. Also, @Linszter for creating Tunerview and allowing me to monitor my engine parameters.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20190910_194628~2

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
boibuddha, I really appreciate you adding a nice, complete survey. It does help. :thumbsup:

At this point we're at nearly 3.4 million total tuned miles at around 98% reliability (based on 237 surveys so far).

Last edited:

SteinfuĂź

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic EX sedan

Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: ~1,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Base 21 (current), Starter 21, Dual 19/21, TSP Stage 1 for non-Si

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Try to stay disciplined, but Ktuner stock tunes often too tempting. Go by MPG to try to maintain some sanity, generally getting above 38, on average.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first experience tuning and my first real effort at modifying anything to do with cars. I love the Civic, but was increasingly aghast at the lackluster "oomph" factor. I was really excited to find the forum and tuning advice. Tuning has utterly transformed the car and driving experience. I'm more of a low-end speeder, so prefer the base tunes or the modifiable stock ones. Respect TSP Stage I tune, but it's just not for me at present.
No problems encountered at all, but am a little nervous about using the Starter 21 with all quick settIngs on aggressive: aggressive ramp 2, spool boost 2, improved throttle response 2, etc. Has anyone driven with that setup for an extended period? That is just awesome, like a live wire! Seems like most drive with a more conservative setup or else TSP-S1.
-----------------
Anyway, thrilled to have found the forum and to learning from everyone here. Thanks to Gtman for the thread, it's been reassuring and educational!

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyway, thrilled to have found the forum and to learning from everyone here. Thanks to Gtman for the thread, it's been reassuring and educational!

Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
SteinfuĂź, I drove on an aggressive Starter 21 for a long time. Even with the aggressive quick adjustment tweaks, it's a very safe tune.

When I upgraded to the TSP 1, I was surprised how soft the low end felt compared to my aggressive 21. But the highway passing oomph is noticeably better than the base tunes and that's where I have my fun.

SteinfuĂź

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
SteinfuĂź, I drove on an aggressive Starter 21 for a long time. Even with the aggressive quick adjustment tweaks, it's a very safe tune.

When I upgraded to the TSP 1, I was surprised how soft the low end felt compared to my aggressive 21. But the highway passing oomph is noticeably better than the base tunes and that's where I have my fun.
Thanks for the reply! I understand what you're saying about the toothy performance in the mid-and-upper range of TSP's tune. The really cool thing is that we have the freedom to roll with whichever tune we prefer and the ease of switching between them in just minutes. Ktuner is so awesome and the community is amazing, too. You are a phenomenal ambassador for all this!

I just wish, as so many others have, that we could find a tune combining the charms of TSP and the Ktuner customs. One of these days, maybe....:popcorn:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, the best feature of KTuner is the on the fly map switching. With you having a '20 I don't know if you have support for that yet.

When I was setting up my three KTuner maps, I had my everyday commuter tune, my sport commuter tune and my balls to the wall tune. To be able to switch between them in a matter of seconds is insanely cool.

SteinfuĂź

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
IMO, the best feature of KTuner is the on the fly map switching. With you having a '20 I don't know if you have support for that yet.

When I was setting up my three KTuner maps, I had my everyday commuter tune, my sport commuter tune and my balls to the wall tune. To be able to switch between them in a matter of seconds is insanely cool.
That is really fun, you're right. I also love that (for some tunes) we can adjust the order of the Maps. It's such a blast, this thing - and crazy how the Mpgs are almost ALWAYS improved. 1st tune is always my Max Verstappen tune (Verstappen in the city, that is) and the 3rd is my late grandma's tribute tune. :drive:

SteinfuĂź

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
And thank you so much for giving me the confidence to stick with that Starter 21 I love so much. I'm trying to keep it respectful, with the madness kept to a minimum and rare WOTs.

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag

Hey gt, do you know that I am able to do on the fly switching with just the TSP stage 1 map 3 but starter 21 tune on say map 2? I haven't fiddled with it too much but I know a lot of the TSP tune stuff is locked. I flashed back to the starter 21 due to doing more city driving and I like the snappier feel of it better but would like the versatility of being able to get the extra top end of map 3 of TSP 3.

SteinfuĂź

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Hey gt, do you know that I am able to do on the fly switching with just the TSP stage 1 map 3 but starter 21 tune on say map 2? I haven't fiddled with it too much but I know a lot of the TSP tune stuff is locked. I flashed back to the starter 21 due to doing more city driving and I like the snappier feel of it better but would like the versatility of being able to get the extra top end of map 3 of TSP 3.
That would be awesome, Beansley, but I don't think we can combine Maps, unfortunately. What a killer combo that would be!!!!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, you can't combine different tunes like that. You can go into the boost table and change some things but it's not recommended unless you're comfortable with that.

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Nah, you can't combine different tunes like that. You can go into the boost table and change some things but it's not recommended unless you're comfortable with that.
I didn't think so but dang that's too bad and nah def not comfortable with it, o well! :fear:
Sponsored