The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A big shout out to all 202 CivicX'ers who have helped build up this tuning reliability survey with their tuning experiences so far. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hopefully some of the other 500+ tuned CivicX'ers I've PM'ed will consider adding their exoerience to the thread so we can keep building this resource. :cool: It doesn't matter if your 10th gen is currently tuned or you've returned it to stock; all your tuning experiences help.

Last edited:

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 16 months+

Total tune mileage: 24,000 miles+

Tuning device: Ktuner

Tunes used: Homemade 21psi Ktuner tune with lower psi in "Gear" 1, flex fuel, aggressive turbo ramp or something like that - don't notice the difference in hard pushes tbh.

Fuel used: E30 - E50 mix chevron and g&m

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI, 2 step flex fuel, cusco motor mount, muffler delete

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: First 10 minutes warm up, than spirited driving with aggressive, constant speeding and harsh acceleration with wheel spin. Average about 22mpg. Canyon runs at full throttle monthly.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first car I have tuned. I love the additional power, and I am estimating about 220-250 whp/tq when mixed based on the cars I have raced and beat, and those I have lost to. I push my car to its limits daily with no engine issues yet. Planning on strengthening CVT and engine components and continuing to push power. Maybe tranny swap if nobody touches the CVT before me.

snguyen130

abluefk7
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Hatchback Sport

Total tuned time: 1.5 years

Total tuned mileage: 16000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2 & 2

Tunes used: 18psi, 21psi Starters, TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Shell 93

Additional engine mods: PRL Catted DP, MIshimoto Short ram, Mishimoto Intercooler + Piping Upgrade, Greddy SP Exhaust

Problems/issues: Low boost after intercooler, fixed with reflash

Driving style: Highway, some trips to mexico, econobox driving

Tuning experience notes: First tuned vehicle

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 2 months+

Total tune mileage: 600 miles+

Tuning device: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1 (Current)

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: None today but plan to use aftermarket replacement filter, freeflow DP, and upgrade IC.

Problems/issues: Concern on fuel trim. The car running 5%-15% too rich. Cannot adjust the AFM because the calibration is locked. I'm thinking about asking TSP team to unlock the calibration for me to adjust the AFM or have TSP team adjusting the AFM for me to make the car running less rich.

Driving style: Stop-and-go traffic 95% of the time with occasional morning run (05:30 AM) weekdays and 06:00 AM in the weekend.

Tuning experience notes: This is my 3rd car I have tuned but this is my first experience with canned tune. I used professional tuner service in the past and had my car tuned on rolling dyno but Civic is an exception and I am happy that I make the right decision to purchase TSP Stage 1 tune. I haven't dyno the car but do plan to go to dyno to measure the power and check the actual boost.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32006

Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 5 months

Total tuned mileage: ~4000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI, 27won catted DP + FP, HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, Mishimoto Performance Intercooler.

Driving style: Mostly normal driving with occasional spirited driving.

LingLingplayz

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Honda Civic Touring (CVT)

Total tuned time: 4 months

Total tuned mileage: 8,000mi

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner 21, TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Sunoco 93 Ultra exclusively, WaWa 93

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI (Street)

Driving style: Mild - High aggressiveness ;) couldn’t help myself everytime I heard the intake noise.

Tuning experience notes: This was my first car I purchased so like many I did not know where to start. But having a community like this, where all you questions have been thought of and answered. I really did not have any issues with tunes. I have to say tuning is the single thing I would recommend to anyone with a civic, it is night and day I tell you. You will feel a big difference, and if you pair it was a PRL Cobra CAI you will hear a big difference too. Now that I am moving on to a different vehicle I’m actually kind of sad, because there aren’t big communities such as this one, or easy to use tuning devices such as ktuner. Most aftermarket equipment for my new car are ghetto or over priced, but I felt with my experience with my civic was everything was price reasonably and everyone was very helpful. Especially to @KTuner who literally answered every little question I asked no matter how dumb it was

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: ~25 months

Total tuned mileage: ~40k mi

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Vit stage 1, vit stage 2, vit custom, IMW custom

Fuel used: Various brands of 93 octane, flex fuel

Additional engine mods: Full PRL bolt ons, PRL Flex fuel kit, PRL big turbo (gtx 2860r g2), FX350 clutch

Problems/issues: None that were a result of defect, had some issues with my turbo and flex fuel kit but it was because i installed them wrong.

Driving style: On street - mild, on track - balls out

Tuning experience notes:

I initially worked with Vitaly Vitchenko of Vittuned via etuning service. His tune pushed a lot of timing advance which caused knock control to more frequently step in. That was on the stock turbo pushing around 27 lbs of boost. When i upgraded to the big turbo, i got dyno tuned by Derek Robinson of IMW Performance (awesome). Less timing advance less PSI, but because of higher CFM, more powa baby.

Additional notes: I did lowering springs on the stock suspension at first. For a while it was okay, but eventually i would hear clunking from the rear suspension when ever that car would load or roll. It may have been rubbing, but it didnt sound like a rub noise, more like a clunking sound. Wouldn't recommend lowering springs. I have since switched to Fortune Auto 500 coilovers which does mean i lose the stock ADS. Totally worth it though, the car feels amazing on coils.

UPDATE: literally a day after i posted this my FX350 started slipping. Mileage was about 34k. will be replacing it with type R retro fit.

Last edited:

BrashSi

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan in Aegean Blue, 2012 Ridgeline EX-L, 2018 Civic Si Sedan in Aegean Blue(sold), 2004 S2000 NFR (sold),
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: 1.5 years

Total tuned mileage: 16,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner 21 for about 1,000 miles; TSP Stage 1 running Map 3 as default startup for 15,000+ miles

Fuel used: 93 usually either from Sams or Quiktrip

Additional engine mods: Bone stock

Problems/issues: Issue with clutch slippage initially when using Map 3 Sport mode for the first few thousand miles. Now that clutch is broken in more and/or I know how to use the power, I rarely get clutch slip. I do however get pretty aggressive wheel hop when starting from a stop once the turbo spools in 1st gear, though none of this is a tuning issue. I'll take wheel hop over clutch slip.

Small issue with TSP Stage 1 bogging/dropping revs after starting from a stop. Doesn't happen with "cruise control" enabled, so it may have something to do with Rev-Hang Delete being enabled? Not enough for me to be concerned with, just need to be aware of.

Driving style: Aggressive daily driving at times (running late) or grandpa in the slow lane hyper-milling for long trips.

MPGs: Daily driving TSP Stage 1 Map 3 not really using sport mode averages 31-33 MPG. Best MPG was 43.5 MPG on a road trip.

Tuning experience notes:
First car with a turbo. First car that could be tuned and get a noticeable amount of power or had actual tunable features selectable. I have a Superchips programmer for my Grand Cherokee, but that was one of 3 choices that did little timing and transmission changes, not really much fueling change that I noticed. Great experience with ability to buy Ktuner and throw on a tune. My other point of reference was my 2009 Civic Si that could have used a Hondata programmer, but gains were hard to get and my 2004 S2000 that requires a stand alone EMS to even put a tune on for minimal gains.

For the Ktuner/TSP tune specifically, I like the ability to change maps if needed and ability to use cruise as "revert to stock" mode. I generally keep it in the hot tune and since I have the inverted tune where slot 1/3 are flipped it defaults on startup. I don't keep the KTuner plugged in due to issues with it killing the battery. My only real issue is when starting from a stop the TSP Stage 1 will have more of a tendency to bog or jerk when starting from a stop. It's not my driving, as I start the same way in my S2000 and it's as smooth as glass. It's also doesn't bog or jerk when I have the "cruise control" button enabled which returns it to factory fueling profile. I'm not sure if it has to do with the rev-hang being disabled or what. Outside of that, the tune is exactly what it should be from the factory. Maybe not so crazy in Map 3 with Sport mode, but MAP 2 is what stock should be and MAP 3 is what sport mode should be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those detailed tuning experience notes are really appreciated (and really helpful). Thanks. :thumbsup:

On another note, our 209 survey participants have now logged 3 million+ total tuned miles.

--------------------------
TUNED CIVIC X RELIABILITY SURVEY STATS (as of 2/21/20)

Total tuned participants: 209
Total tuned miles driven: 3,012,000 (estimated)
Current average tuned miles per car: 14,441
Car with most tuned miles: choo's '17 Sport Hatch (81,000+)

Tuned cars with major failures: 5 *
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.6% **

Transmission type: CVT (69); Manual (140)

Hondata used as tuning device: 51
KTuner used as tuning device: 171
JB4 used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 43
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (76)

Most tuned vehicle: Civic Si
Most used fuel: 93 octane (109)

* 2 cars had a failed CVT. 1 car had faulty injectors and a blown head gasket. 1 car blew an engine running an E35/meth setup. 1 car blew an engine on the racetrack.

** There were minor issues reported here and there with the stock clutch, one suspected injector issue, some fuel trim and knock control funkiness depending on intake and gas used, etcetera. None of these issues were major.

Last edited:

ripcord291

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Platinum White Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 13 months

Total tuned mileage: 22k+

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 93 anywhere i can get it. Mostly from Shell

Additional engine mods: Stock

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. Nothing crazy. Done a few stop light runs but thats very very rare, only done it when i knew the other driver. Highway pulls i done a few times just to see what this little 1.5 can do.

Tuning experience notes: Im extremely pleased with the TSP stage 1 tune. The power bump while keeping the great MPG is what this car should had been coming off the showroom floor. I came from a MS3 with full bolt on and tune so driving off the lot i missed the power. With this tune i dont miss it that much at all now. I dont make the same WHP but its good enough for me for right now. I had no clutch issues yet. I stay on MAP 3 and i hit sport button as soon as my car turns on. I wish it just stay in sport mode. Im not a crazy driver so im only using boost when i need it. Just tune alone has surprised me and other cars when i really lay into it time to time.

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan (Sold and replaced w/ 2019 Si Coupe :D)

Total tuned time: 8 months

Total tuned mileage: 8000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB

Tunes used: Hondata +6

Fuel used: Chevron 93 w/Techron, Shell 93

Additional engine mods: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts

Tuning experience notes: This was my first time tuning and I've loved it! With my new Si, I am going to use a KTuner V2, and use the TSP stage 1 :headbang:. Tuning really transforms the car!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan (Sold and replaced w/ 2019 Si Coupe :D)

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB

With my new Si, I am going to use a KTuner V2, and use the TSP stage 1
I'll tell you this from firsthand experience, moving from a CARB Flashpro to a V2 is a huge leap. You may even want to consider doing your own Starter tune setup to get a feel for all the driveability tweaks available before you move to a locked tune like the TSP 1. Don't get me wrong, the TSP tune is awesome. But, for someone new to KTuner, setting up your own Starter tune would be a great place to learn about Ktuner's abilities.

Triple Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic Sedan Ex-T CVT

Total tuned time: Nearly 3 years

Total tuned mileage: 62k miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: 93 octane +6psi tune

Fuel used: Exclusively 93 until about 40k, then mixed 87/91/93 somewhat randomly

Additional engine mods: None. Totally stock, aside from the tune.

Problems/issues: None, changed cvt fluid once so far and plenty of oil changes. Second set of tires.

Driving style: Aggressive city driving, ~100+ miles a day most days. Don't drive like an idiot, but I don't baby it. Still manage to get 28 mpg though.

Tuning experience notes: None aside from the fact that I cannot recommend it enough. Car feels MUCH faster than it really has any right to with a 1.5L CVT.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2016 Civic Sedan Ex-T CVT

Total tuned time: Nearly 3 years

Total tuned mileage: 62k miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: 93 octane +6psi tune

Tuning experience notes: None aside from the fact that I cannot recommend it enough. Car feels MUCH faster than it really has any right to with a 1.5L CVT.
62K tuned with CVT. That is awesome to see.

Btw, you're so right about saying how fast it feels considering it's a tiny 1.5L with a CVT. At times, it feels more like a small 6 cylinder.
Sponsored

Last edited: