The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I forgot that Lex supported the ST community as well. One of the most knowledgeable guys I've ever come across, and a huge contributor to our knowledge of modern TCDI powertrains.
Yes. Alex@StratifiedAuto was absolutely sublime. I also forgot to mention working with SpeedPe6formanc3 out of NJ for the rebuild after losing the stock block..
Sponsored

Red18HB

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic EX Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 18 months

Total tuned mileage: 12,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner dual ECO/21, TSP stage 1(current)

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: AF Dynamics SRI

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Laid-back until I see a empty stretch of highway.

Tuning experience notes: My notes are same as OP. It's amazing how much fun this car is to drive with KTuner and the TSP tune.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20190716_195356~5

Tobus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic RS
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic RS (1.5T)

Total tuned time: 6 months

Total tuned mileage: 1,000 km

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1

Tunes used: KTuner 21 w/ various BBG options for 1st

Fuel used: Premium 95-98 RON

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: Engine warning light sometimes comes on for 12-24 hours after flashing, goes away by itself. Loss of traction under WOT even with lowered BBG (stock tires).

Driving style: Pretty aggressive when it's safe, I like to take off fast and sit ~10% over the speed limit if traffic allows. Hate being stuck behind slow cars so will weave when possible, if not I sit a few lengths back waiting for my chance (I don't tailgate!).

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning, found it pretty straightforward. A lot of features not available on my ECU.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding to the survey. Everyone posting here is really helping the CivicX community. :thumbsup:

196 cars / owner experiences so far. Right now, the survey is showing that tuning is fun and pretty reliable. Let's keep this going. If you're tuned, help out and add your survey to the mix.

Last edited:

Purp.si

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FC3
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si coupe

Total tuned time: 3 years

Total tuned mileage: 27,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v2

Tunes used: Vit viper stage 1

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI, HKS exhaust

Problems/issues: clutch slip

Driving style: spirited but not aggressive abuse

Tuning experience notes: First time tuned. My clutch slipped slightly on vit vipers stage 1 in sport mode, but now slips worse after adding HKS exhaust. I currently have a 3 inch catless DP/ FP waiting to be installed, however I plan to swap to a Type R clutch/flywheel set up first.

-----------------

Veradian

First Name
Coleman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 10 months

Total tuned mileage: 15,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 for ~5k miles; Current: TSP Stage 2/FlexFuel

Fuel used: Speedway 93 and E85 (combined, never exceeding E40) and Kroger 93

Additional engine mods: PRL Catless downpipe, FX350 w/ Aluminum SMF, 27Won RMM

Problems/issues: One spark plug failed recently, engine, trans, etc. noises, clutch slipping with TSP Stage 1

Driving style:
Quicker acceleration than most but nothing crazy, an occasional 3rd gear pull. Occasional spirited driving with friends, but generally pretty normal.

Tuning experience notes: First car I've modified/tuned. Started as a noob afraid of changing my oil. My mechanic friends helped me through my modding journey to the point where I'm comfortable working on my car on my own. I haven't the slightest idea how to write a custom tune, but I do my best to understand how each part is going to effect my engine. Recently started monitoring more "advanced" aspects of my engine - STFT, LTFT, AFR, etc.
I didn't know if I'm supposed to edit my post with new info or not so I'm just going to reply to it. I'm adding a problem/issue unfortunately :( my throw out bearing "exploded." Well, actually the ears snapped off, rattled around, and ruined the clutch and pressure plate. When we replaced it the clutch still had a ton of life left so it sucks this issue broke it so early on. Still not 100% on the cause, but having the master cylinder adjusted all the way out to combat the lockout seems to be a leading culprit. I've got an upgraded master cylinder (Sirimoto N1, so another update to the form) in there now and things seem much MUCH better.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20200208_185537

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Snapchat-216854056

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting the update. Stock clutch?

Veradian

First Name
Coleman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for posting the update. Stock clutch?
Happy 400th post lol

But nope, a sprung FX350 was in the car when the TOB failed and it was replaced by another sprung FX350. I loved it before the failure so I figured I would use it again. So far it feels pretty good!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I often PM members here who are tuned and ask that they consider posting in our survey. Early on, I had great luck getting members on board. The past month or two just about everyone I've been messaging has decided not to post. I'm really not sure why.

Most of these are long term members who often post about tuning. I don't understand why they don't want to help the community out. Oh well. At least I'm trying, right?

If you are tuned, post up a survey. It's important to see if tuning the Civic X is reliable long term and if there are common issues. The admin here felt this thread was important and featured and stickied it. Let's keep it going. Thanks.

Last edited:

SLYSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 SI Sedan

Total tuned time: 10 months

Total tuned mileage: 25,000 km

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner base map 21.5/23

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Occasional spirited bursts mixed in with normal commute driving

Tuning Experience/Notes: Single best mod you can buy without a doubt. Loved the control and how the tune really opened up the car.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
This is a fantastic resource and very reassuring. Nice to see so many CVTs holding up behind a tuned 1.5L with increased power and some aggressive driving. I have been hesitant to drive my Sport hard at all, even stock, because i've been under the impression the CVT is super fragile.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is a fantastic resource and very reassuring. Nice to see so many CVTs holding up behind a tuned 1.5L with increased power and some aggressive driving. I have been hesitant to drive my Sport hard at all, even stock, because i've been under the impression the CVT is super fragile.
I agree about it being a great resource.;)

As far as the CVT, it's more robust than you think. Remember, unlike the CVT in the non-turbos, it's a beefier unit from the Accord.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
TUNED CIVIC X RELIABILITY SURVEY STATS (as of 2/15/20)

Total tuned participants: 198
Total tuned miles driven: 2,844,000 (estimated)

Tuned cars with major failures: 5 *
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.4% **

Transmission type: CVT (63); Manual (135)

Hondata used as tuning device: 50
KTuner used as tuning device: 161
JB4 used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 40
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (69)

Most tuned vehicle: Civic Si
Most used fuel: 93 octane (103)
Popular mods: PRL Cobra, K&N drop-in

* 2 cars had a failed CVT. 1 car had faulty injectors and a blown head gasket. 1 car blew an engine running an E35/meth setup. 1 car blew an engine on the racetrack.

** There were minor issues reported here and there with the stock clutch, one suspected injector issue, some fuel trim and knock control funkiness depending on intake and gas used, etcetera. None of these issues were major.

Last edited:

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra
Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX-T coupe

Total tuned time: 24(ish) months

Total tuned mileage: 25,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: custom tune from Brent @PFI speed (260whp 340lbft)

Fuel used: Full pump E85

Additional engine mods: Redline 360 catless downpipe, no name intake, PRL flex fuel sensor, full 2.5 inch custom exhaust, hasport lower mount, clutch master's fx350 and single mass flywheel

Problems/issues: Blue smoke from turbo seals (i.e. turbo overspin and caused failure to oil seals)

Driving style: Hard mostly, in power as much as I could be.

Tuning experience notes: Went very well considering the car made 340Lb-ft and 260hp to the wheels. Only issue was turbo seals. Had a blast with the car, ended up selling to fund a 2019 civic Type R that I will be tuning using hondata in the near future.

@6000ft elevation

Cheers

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20190223_151440_022

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20180617_020515_894

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20190414_154819_074

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ Thanks a lot for the detailed survey. You were putting down some serious power.
Sponsored