The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So there's the fly in the ointment. We don't know exactly how the hard the engines were pushed before you got your hands on them.
Sponsored

FlyByeBlueSi

FlyByeBlueSi
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So there's the fly in the ointment. We don't know exactly how the hard the engines were pushed before you got your hands on them.
Correct. I'm not saying I'm innocent by any means. On the same foot, I don't jump in the car and stomp the gas at every traffic light or try to race everyone nor do I redline every gear. At the end of the day I know I'm the one paying for it and anything that gets broken so I will be more in tune to taking care of it than trying to hurt it.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, these engines have mostly held up very well tuned. Really appreciate your posts.

Last edited:

Jtho162

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 28 months

Total tuned mileage: ~18,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: VitTuned Stage 1 ~19 Months | TSP Stage 1 ~9 Months

Fuel used: Only used 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL Short Ram Intake

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slighly fast with spirited acceleration on a regular basis

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, after going months with no major failures in the survey we've had two owners dealing with them in the past week. But to be fair, they need to be looked at in context.

Myx made the mistake of using non-race gas in a tune specifically designed to run race gas. FlyByeBlueSi threw a rod and replaced that engine and just blew a head gasket. But again, to be fair, context is needed. He bought the car used and the replacement engine was used. We just don't know whether the original owners abused their cars.

I still believe these Honda engines tune fantastically and in the vast majority of cases have proven reliable.

Keep those surveys coming. They really are helpful.

Dudemac333

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT

Total tuned time: A little over a month

Total tuned mileage: 500-ish miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Starter Dual Target 21 PSI. The TSP Stage 1 tune is being emailed to me shortly so I will be switching over to that as soon as I get it.

Fuel used: Started with Costco 91 but switched to Chevron 91 recently. Haven't noticed too much of a difference.

Additional engine mods: No engine mods currently but plan to add a Cobra CAI.

Driving style: Pretty moderate until it warms up and then slightly speedy with maybe an aggressive burst here and there.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning and researched and browsed threads a ton before jumping in. But boy am I glad I did. I read a lot about how tuning changes the car and I was a little skeptical how much better it would be, but it's badass. The quick adjustments are awesome and I love how you can play around with them to suit your driving style. I copied one @gtman posted and I've been pretty happy with it. I am a little nervous pushing the limits too hard since I have the CVT, but seeing all the surveys on here makes me feel more comfortable. Look forward to driving more once I am driving to work more often and will keep updating with more mileage. ?

Oli1426

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 civic sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic sport hatch manual

Total tuned time: ~2 years

Total tuned mileage: ~23,000 miles

Tunes used: KTuner 21 starter basemap, TSP stage 1

Fuel used: 91

Additional engine mods: Injen CAI at first replaced with PRL cobra race intake after I found out about the fuel trim issues, PRL catless DP

Problems/issues: None, but I think I have an annoying intermittent vacuum leak :(

Driving style: Low and slow normally, occasional abuse

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a reminder to anyone with an Si, R, or non-Si that's currently tuned (or was tuned at some point)...

Go ahead and post up a tuning reliability survey. The more cars we can get posted here, the more accurate and useful this survey is. It's so valuable to have this tuning reliability data in one place.

To those who have already posted... :thumbsup:

Let's keep building this up.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 9 Months

Total tuned mileage: 13,000km

Tunes used: Stage 2 (for a bit), 21 PSI, currently Dual 21 PSI/ECO

Fuel used: Mostly 91. During the snowy months for 2-3 months I used 87/89 and did little to no spirited driving during that time.

Additional engine mods: None, only tune and springs. Will be adding a CAI and downpipe soon though.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. Maybe once a week I'll do some WOT on backroads.

Last edited:

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^ Forgot to add that it is CVT. Thanks for the great work compiling all this, gtaman!

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle: 2019 Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 9 Months

Total tuned mileage: 13,000km

Tunes used: Stage 2 (for a bit), 21 PSI, currently Dual 21 PSI/ECO

Fuel used: Mostly 91. During the snowy months for 2-3 months I used 87/89 and did little to no spirited driving during that time.

Additional engine mods: None, only tune and springs. Will be adding a CAI and downpipe soon though.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. Maybe once a week I'll do some WOT on backroads.
What do you get for mileage? I’m in Florida and I’ve been getting an average 25-27 mpg on the 21psi tune. Might be because I drive fast.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you get for mileage? I’m in Florida and I’ve been getting an average 25-27 mpg on the 21psi tune. Might be because I drive fast.
I'm up in Canada. No idea about the conversion but it ranges from 7.6-8.4L/100km depending on how heavy footed I am or how much highway driving I was doing during that tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's really simple. If you mostly stay out of boost, mpgs are fantastic and almost stock numbers. Drive it hard and stay in the tune's higher boost levels and mpgs plummet.

I take it easy and easily get 40 mpg. On the other hand, I once got 17 mpg when I was really showing off. It's all about your right foot.

marcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport MT

Total tuned time: 6 months

Total tuned mileage: 9,000 miles

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 2, 21 PSI

Fuel used: Arco, Shell, Chevron 93

Additional engine mods: None

Driving style: Semi-aggressive driving style. Wasn't real easy on the car, but didn't abuse it. Mix of city/hwy with regular spirited driving on country roads with twists and turns.

Tuning experience notes: First experience with this stuff. Had a blast playing around with the various settings finding the combo I liked.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Correct. I'm not saying I'm innocent by any means. On the same foot, I don't jump in the car and stomp the gas at every traffic light or try to race everyone nor do I redline every gear. At the end of the day I know I'm the one paying for it and anything that gets broken so I will be more in tune to taking care of it than trying to hurt it.
Hmm, what tune did you have at the time? I dont race everyone... i go looking for people though. I dont run all lights. But my question to you is, did you by chance wide open thottle below 2500 at any given time?
Or maybe, use antilag?
Do you monitor your k.con?
Idk.
Im pretty hard on my car but only when temps are good.
I WOT at least 10-15 days nightly lol.
I am tuned with tsp stage 1 with just an intake.
Sponsored

Last edited: