The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

dsegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Pilot, 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring MT6
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 1,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 for non-Si

Fuel used: ARCO/Shell 91 Octane

Additional engine mods: None yet

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time unless I have other people in the car with me :).

Tuning experience notes: I've used Hondata and KTuner base tunes and. now the TSP Stage 1 tune, and I've read a lot. That's it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
TUNED CIVIC X RELIABILTY SURVEY STATS (as of 1/24/20)

Total tuned participants: 189
Total tuned miles driven: 2,744,000 (estimated)

Tuned cars with major failures: 5 *
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.3% **

Transmission type: CVT (58); Manual (131)

Hondata used as tuning device: 50
KTuner used as tuning device: 152
JB4 used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 39
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (67)

Most tuned vehicle: Civic Si
Most used fuel: 93 octane (100)

Hopefully more members who were previously tuned or are currently tuned will chime in with their survey.

And again, thank you to all that have already contributed. :thumbsup:

AverageJ

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sedan SI

Total tuned time: 7 months

Total tuned mileage: 13,000+ miles

Tunes used: KTUNERV2 19/23 PSI MAP/ CURRENTLY ON TSP STG 1

Fuel used: SHELL, CHEVRON, MOBIL SOMETIMES ARCO

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra Race intank, Prl Street DP/FP, Injen front mount intercooler, injen intercooler piping.

Driving style: Aggressive street sprinted driving, Aggressive Canyon driving, normal driving...

extra comments: knock control has seen .82. Always let me engine warm up before going WOT
What clutch do you have?

AverageJ

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 si coupe

Total tuned time: 16months since 1k miles

Total tuned mileage: 19k miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: KTuner 21.5/map stage1+

Fuel used: any 93

Additional engine mods: modified Map intake, prl intercooler

Driving style: Mixed
What clutch do you have?

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Stock clutch. No slipping so far. 25k mile now. I’ll probably get act with flywheel once stock starts to slip
I’m thinking action clutch stage 2 or 3

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT

Total tuned time: unknown

Total tuned mileage: unknown

Tuning device(s) used: KTUNER V2

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 1 and Stage 2

Fuel used: 91 octane Top Tier

Additional engine mods: First Thermal R&D Exhaust for Sport Hatch

Driving style: Reasonable with pulls onto freeway at times and spirited through light traffic to get around slow moving vehicles.

Tuning experience notes: Used Hondata FlashPro on my 2010 Si so I'm not new to using tuning hardware/software. Never had any issue with either car or tuner. Traded out at 30k miles.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Vehicle: 18' Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Tuned time:
6 months

Total tuned mileage:
15k miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: On the fly, 3 separate tunes. (Info in pics)

Fuel used: Exxon 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL Stage 1 intake, custom straight pipe to Megan's Racing MDT muffler.

Problems/issues: Only problem that would happen is connectivity issues to my laptop SOMETIMES which made it take longer to edit and upload tunes. Drivability wise I had no issues arise.

Driving style: 90% of my driving is highway into Northern VA. My average gas mileage raised to 42mpg! I would occasionally get on it and shift slowly into the next gear. I've only had my car for a year and I can honestly say I've only banged the gears 3 times. Other than that I'm just cruising to and from work.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20190428_133642

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20190407_130439

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20190209_112013

ZHFK7

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic HB Sport touring
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring CVT

Total tuned time: 7 months

Total tuned mileage: 11,000 KM

Current mileage: 20,000 km

Tune used: KTuner Stage 2 base tune installed directly to ecu. (By Don at Lighttouchtuning)

Additional engine mods: K&N drop in filter.

Problems/Issues: None

Fuel Used: 94 Octane only

Driving style: I tend to go easy during the day in traffic calm and collective especially with my Wife. But like to go pretty quick on my way home from work since roads are empty (night shift).

Tuning experience notes: Throttle response is perfect for zipping around the city and I’ve even surprised a couple cars that I should not be able to keep up with (2013 WRX STI, Tuned BRZ, MazdaSpeed3). Overall I’m extremely happy with my car tuned. I do need to upgrade my tires, these tunes are too torquey for the stock allseasons. Thanks everyone in the CivicX community for sharing.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 8392F3B6-6030-4651-8330-0F15AB1AFCF4

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Touring HB
Total tuned time: 1 year
Total tuned mileage: 9,500 miles
Tunes used: Stage 2, KTuner 21, TSP
Fuel used: Chevron/Shell/Texaco 92Oct
Additional engine mods: PRL Charge Pipe Hose Upgrade, Mishimoto IC (w/stock Charge Pipes), and K&N drop-in air filter
Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.
Tuning experience notes: This is my first time using CAN tunes on a vehicle. I have modified a '95 Saturn SC2 from a factory 124hp to 165 / with a slight rise of torque from 122lb ft to 139. Not bad for a 1.9L FWD that only weighed 2250lbs. I have also been involved with a 2013 Focus ST3 with a GTX2971 and Auxilary Fuel System that achieved 470hp and 406lb ft. That project was financially exhausting and a solid learning curve with FI and the whole system. I have worked with various COBB tuners, StratifiedAuto (out of Vancouver, CN), and have raced side by side with EdgeAuto (Colorado).
With the Civic, everything is easy. I chose KTuner after thorough investigation and find the tunes easy to manage. It doesn't matter what HP # I am putting down, as long as it isn't stock right? This isn't really a "tuning" experience anyway, since they are CAN tunes. You cannot call plugging in device to your car with a preloaded tune (not specific for you) and say "I tuned my car." The biggest part to take from this experience is getting acquinted with knowing WHAT the parameters of a data log are and how they relate to the health of your engine. I must add that, if you wish for more from a tune seek a pro's intervention and don't go trying to tweak an already perfect tune yourself (e.g. "More boost doesn't equal more power).
I have also done my research on this platform and have become very familiar and contributed to this Forum a tad bit so that others might benefit from the knowledge (if they are not sure or unfamiliar).

Try and enjoy this day and age of vehicle manufacturing, as the future won't be as fun as some of us used to remember it be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I must add that, if you wish for more from a tune seek a pro's intervention and don't go trying to tweak an already perfect tune yourself (e.g. "More boost doesn't equal more power).
I have also done my research on this platform and have become very familiar and contributed to this Forum a tad bit so that others might benefit from the knowledge (if they are not sure or unfamiliar).
I can attest to that. When I had Hondata I created a homemade "+7.5" tune. I really only knew the basics at that point. I upped the boost and changed the torque limit table. And yes, I had more some more power. But not the better driveability I wanted. I also checked the datalogs and K. Control was spiking quite a bit higher than with the base +6. I quickly reverted back.

On the other hand, JR's built in KTuner user tweaks are easy to do and actually do improve driveability. And the TSP 1 feels like an evolution of the KTuner 21.

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I guess I'll put my 2 cents in after lurking for awhile.

Vehicle
: 2018 Sport Touring Hatch CVT

Total tuned time:
~13 months

Total tuned mileage: ~15000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner starter 21 with agressive settings until I got TSP Stage 1 in August 2019.

Fuel used: 95% Costco 93, when not available it's been Marathon, BP, or Shell.

Additional engine mods: afe dry flow s filter, mishimoto intake hose, Greddy Supreme Sp catback exhaust with vibrant ultra quiet resonator added.

Problems/issues: None. Maybe wanting to rip it all too often.

Driving style: At first pretty mild, now a little more spirited aggressive (past 5 or 6 months). In the city I'm pretty gentle but highway decent bursts from time to time. Could count the times I've been WOT on one hand.

Tuning experience notes:
Not much to be shared. Definitely new to the scene but was easy to get into it, have taken notes lurking on what people say are good LTFTs and such. I'm not too concerned about warranty such as I don't drive like a maniac or race any. If you want to wake up your car this seems like an easy option, just be aware of your limitations and personally I don't think you should drive like you're racing everyone.

Overall the easiest way to get your civic driving the way it should be out of the factory is tuning, it's easy, safe (if you want it to be), and easy. I don't worry about warranty or such.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to wake up your car this seems like an easy option, just be aware of your limitations and personally I don't think you should drive like you're racing everyone.
I think you are exactly right. Just because you're tuned don't go out there challenging every car to street race. I know I've posted about my "conquests" from time to time but some perspective is needed. Probably 80% of the time I'm just chilling and commuting for fuel efficiency. 15% of the time I push it a little harder. And that last 5% is me putting my foot into it and making a quick passing move on the highway.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Touring HB
Total tuned time: 1 year
Total tuned mileage: 9,500 miles
Tunes used: Stage 2, KTuner 21
Fuel used: Chevron/Shell/Texaco 92Oct
Additional engine mods: PRL Charge Pipe Hose Upgrade, Mishimoto IC (w/stock Charge Pipes), and K&N drop-in air filter
Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.
Tuning experience notes: This is my first time using CAN tunes on a vehicle. I have modified a '95 Saturn SC2 from a factory 124hp to 165 / with a slight rise of torque from 122lb ft to 139. Not bad for a 1.9L FWD that only weighed 2250lbs. I have also been involved with a 2013 Focus ST3 with a GTX2971 and Auxilary Fuel System that achieved 470hp and 406lb ft. That project was financially exhausting and a solid learning curve with FI and the whole system. I have worked with various COBB tuners, StratifiedAuto (out of Vancouver, CN), and have raced side by side with EdgeAuto (Colorado).
With the Civic, everything is easy. I chose KTuner after thorough investigation and find the tunes easy to manage. It doesn't matter what HP # I am putting down, as long as it isn't stock right? This isn't really a "tuning" experience anyway, since they are CAN tunes. You cannot call plugging in device to your car with a preloaded tune (not specific for you) and say "I tuned my car." The biggest part to take from this experience is getting acquinted with knowing WHAT the parameters of a data log are and how they relate to the health of your engine. I must add that, if you wish for more from a tune seek a pro's intervention and don't go trying to tweak an already perfect tune yourself (e.g. "More boost doesn't equal more power).

Try and enjoy this day and age of vehicle manufacturing, as the future won't be as fun as some of us used to remember it be.
I forgot that Lex supported the ST community as well. One of the most knowledgeable guys I've ever come across, and a huge contributor to our knowledge of modern TCDI powertrains.
Sponsored