The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I finally took a leap to the darkside. I had my eyes on KTuner V2 but I wasn't fast enough as somebody purchased the only KTuner V2 available for sale in my country just a few hours before I made my tuning decision.

The only proper tuning tool available is Hondata Flash Pro and I made my purchase decision with no hesitation.

I will provide my feedback once I get meaningful mileage and feedback but so far so good.
Hi Arnaldo and good luck. For whatever it's worth, I've been running a FlashPro with +9 PSI on a 2017 Civic Si for over 25,000 miles now and could not be happier. I used the tunings that came with it and they have produced incredible results with absolutely no problems thus far.
Sponsored

RLegionSi

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 10-11 months

Total tuned mileage: 16-18k miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner 19/23psi basemap; TSP Stage 1 & Stage 2 Flex Fuel

Fuel used: Sunoco 93 Ultra; Sheetz Ethanol(E85) & 93 Premium; Exxon 93 Premium

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto Intake/Intercooler w Charge Pipes; PRL Flex Fuel kit/DP/FP; MAPerformance Street Exhaust

Problems/issues: No sign of clutch slippage or anything

Driving style: Slightly speedy with some bursts of aggressive driving; 70/30 with 70 being relaxed and 30 being aggressive and going to Mexico.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hi Arnaldo and good luck. For whatever it's worth, I've been running a FlashPro with +9 PSI on a 2017 Civic Si for over 25,000 miles now and could not be happier. I used the tunings that came with it and they have produced incredible results with absolutely no problems thus far.
Thanks for the encouragement. I wish the non-SI Civic were getting the same reinforced piston connecting rod as SI but I would stay with +3 PSI for longevity purpose. Flashpro has a unique way when it comes to power delivery for the 10th Gen Civic using Throttle pedal and torque parameters, as well as knock control in determining boost. I'm using +3PSI basemaps but I see boost pressure going up greater than 21 PSI. It's a bit concerning although most of the time the boost pressure is hovering between 14 and 22 PSI.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the encouragement. I wish the non-SI Civic were getting the same reinforced piston connecting rod as SI but I would stay with +3 PSI for longevity purpose. Flashpro has a unique way when it comes to power delivery for the 10th Gen Civic using Throttle pedal and torque parameters, as well as knock control in determining boost. I'm using +3PSI basemaps but I see boost pressure going up greater than 21 PSI. It's a bit concerning although most of the time the boost pressure is hovering between 14 and 22 PSI.
If you're seeing 21-22 psi on a non-Si using the +3 basemap, you are seriously overshooting your boost targets. That tune should be seeing more like 16.5-17.5 psi. You may want to contact Doug at Hondata.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
If you're seeing 21-22 psi on a non-Si using the +3 basemap, you are seriously overshooting your boost targets. That tune should be seeing more like 16.5-17.5 psi. You may want to contact Doug at Hondata.
I did post this concern in Hondata forum and get this response from Hondata

The ECU targets torque, so when it is got it will command more boost to make the same output.

You can reduce the TC max boost (IAT) table and you will lower the boost (and power).
TC Max Boost (IAT) table is showing 3.124 bar, which equals to 45.3 PSI. I compared stock equivalent basemap from US Manual Transmission Civic 1.5 and found that TC Max pressure difference from 2,750 RPM indeed 0.2 bar higher in the +3 PSI basemap.

I have no access to Doug contact and I may not be able to contact him through phone due to time zone differences so my only means of contact is through email or forum.

I might be reading the datalog wrongly tough. I see MAP, BP, and BP CMD as boost indicator.

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 3 weeks

Total tuned mileage: ~350 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner 19.5/21.5, currently on TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Shell 91 mostly, Chevron 91 at times

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra Street Cold Air Intake

Future additional engine mods: PRL Intercooler (debating on charge pipe upgrades) and 27Won RMM

Problems/issues: No problems at all. My knock control has been a little high on the TSP Stage 1 (high 0.7's after 2 or 3 pulls) due to 91 octane and high post-intercooler temps. Hoping the PRL intercooler can assist with this. KTuner 19.5/21.5 saw around the low 0.6's.

Driving style: Relaxed with occasional bursts of speed. Only done WOT above 4K, mostly 2nd - 3rd. Never have gone WOT in 5th or 6th. Have not experienced clutch slip, however, I have a feeling it will happen sooner or later.

Tuning experience notes: First manual, first turbo car and first time doing tuning activities. Uploading, data logging and overall experience with KTuner has been top-notch.

Will update this in the future when I have more miles on the tune as well as other additional engine modifications.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
SURVEY STATS (as of 1/4/20)

Total surveys taken: 173
Total tuned miles driven: 2,565,000 (estimated)

Tuned cars with major failures: 5 *
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.1% **

Transmission type: CVT (55); Manual (118)

Hondata used as tuning device: 47
KTuner used as tuning device: 141
JB4 used as tuning device: 1

Custom tuned cars: 37
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (58)

------------

Hopefully, more tuned CivicX'ers will add their survey to the topic. Let's keep this going.

Mikeshlong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys . First time posting here . I’ve been on Facebook but came into the forum world again . Reminds me years ago on Acurazine . Anyways .

Vehicle: 2018 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 4,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner

Tunes used: Ktuner base , then tsp1 , now ktuner base with ethanol

Fuel used: Mostly Chevron 91 , but getting my e85 from Rebel

Additional engine mods: PRL FP DP Catless V1 , PRL stage 1 intake , custom fit ram air velocity stack too .

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Very aggressive .

Tuning experience notes: This is my first time tuning a car . My complaint on the TSP1 is the 5,000rpm setting so the car falls on its face during no lift shifts . Just switching back to a ktuner base file with ethanol I’m enjoying it .

El2ok

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan

Total Tuned Time: 3 days

Total Tuned Mileage: 250

Tuning Device: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner base factory /23 psi in sport mode,

Additional Mods: PRL Cold Air Intake (Street Series)

Problems/Issues: None

Alberto1866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I am curious of your reviews on the 27Won equipment. Did you install them all at once or one at a time? I'm hoping to do the same/similar mods to my '19 CVT once I've got more miles on it and can't find much feedback on the 27Won exhaust and CAI with regards to performance and sound improvements.
I installed them one at a time, the exhaust for sure is the best sounding one out there in my opinion, I constantly get complimented on the sound, and have been told it sounds like a subaru sometimes. As far as the CAI I had to take it off because I was in an accident and it just didn't fit right anymore and I started running really rich with it, otherwise it is a high quality CAI and while the installation is a bit more tedious than other CAIs, it looks really good in the engine bay. As far as the turbo, it sounds extremely nice, and so far at this point have over 15k miles on it and I am still running perfectly.

Virhan

First Name
Virhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK4 Hatchback CVT 2017
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic CVT 1.5T Hatchback
Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: 1500 km

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: dual starter 16/18 psi, MAF self calibration, IAT retard ignition correction

Fuel used: Pertalite octane 90

Additional engine mods: K&N cone filter only w/ self mods MAF hose, pipe & heat shield
- ORD (local) downpipe catless, frontpipe, centerpipe, resonator & muffler (full system)
- china blow off valve
- Type R hood bonnet
- spark gap tightening 0.7 mm

Problems/issues: - high negative value STFT (-10%)
- high knock control, knock retard and everything about ignition
- actual ignition retard @1,250-1500 RPM
- high IAT (hard to below 50⁰C)

Driving style: slow at downtown, fast at uptown

Tuning experience notes: All issues SOLVED by tunes and all engine mods. First, device able to live monitor what actually happened, then fix the issues. STFT deviation : easy fix by calibrating, knock and ignition retard : hard to solve, finally need tightening spark gap-double heat shield mods successfully fix the issues, high IAT : solved even better than factory stock air filter (37⁰C vs 45⁰C in average).
performance : great 0-100 kmh, ALL STOCK 8.3 sec VS 7.2 sec ALL MODS.

Use 1 device for 2 cars make it easy to campare between STOCK and MODS, and planing to buy a new one for my stock car. Even, probably next device for Type R FK8.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_7045
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_6841
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_7093
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_0236

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport

Tune: Stock Tune/ None

Additional Engine Bolt Ons: PRL Intercooler with charge Pipes and Cobra CAI Street Version

Miles driven with Bolts On: 2,000

Problems: None

More Responsive, Speeds up faster

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Israel ...

This survey is for ecu tuned vehicles only. Your information will NOT be included in the survey stats.

Last edited:

theblackdogman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback Sport

Total tuned time: 6 months

Total tuned mileage: 10000 miles

Tunes used: KTuner 21, TSP1

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: N/A

Driving style: Occasional spirited driving

kibz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 9 months

Total tuned mileage: 15000 miles

Tunes used: Factory Calibration(Daily), KTuner 21(occasionally), TSP1(2-3 times)

Fuel used: 91 Octane

Additional engine mods: N/A

Driving style: Occasional spirited driving

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning. Pretty straight forward. Originally was sent the incorrect file to tune. Emailed TwoStep and they sent the correct tune file and tuned without any issues.
Sponsored

Last edited: