The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, don't forget to update your survey posts if you get a chance. Things like miles driven tuned, months tuned, mods added, dynos, pics, etc...

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 24 months

Total tuned mileage: 30,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flash, K&N cold air intake,

Tunes used: Hondata +9 and minimal adjustments

Fuel used: Shell 93 octane

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with (very) occasional aggressive, 2 hours of road course track time

The Hondata flash was everything claimed: right out of the box, it seemed to produce a near-optimal tune. I've encountered no problems with the additional 9 lbs. of boost. Most of the driving has been highway as I carve corners rather than drag race. I suspect the clutch would become an issue for a drag racer but it has held up well for me. I currently have 44K miles on the car. The boost gage (stock) showed around 18.5 lbs. of boost (the factory spec is 20.5). Post-Hondata, the boost gage has shown 28 lbs. The amazing thing: in highway driving after the modifications, I've shown as high as 43 MPG recorded for a trip (both directions with virtually no wind). One dyno pull showed 211 WHP which probably translates into close to 250 HP at the crankshaft.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) engine bay

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updated a bit on my post. Added a few comments and tid bit of information about the minor issue I ran into with my tune. I have also added my dyno chart, power figures, and 1/4 time slips

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Updated a bit on my post. Added a few comments and tid bit of information about the minor issue I ran into with my tune. I have also added my dyno chart, power figures, and 1/4 time slips
Really appreciate that. The more details we can put into the member surveys, the more it helps people make an educated decision to tune or not tune.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm digging for it now

Link would be great

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Does the Hondata decal stay on for dealer visits? :hmm:
Does the Hondata decal stay on for dealer visits? :hmm:
The decal is on to stay. Actually, since picking the car up in August of '17, it has never been back to the dealer for anything. I do most of the scheduled routine maintenance myself or take it to a local mechanic. No "non-routine" maintenance has been needed.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I finally took a leap to the darkside. I had my eyes on KTuner V2 but I wasn't fast enough as somebody purchased the only KTuner V2 available for sale in my country just a few hours before I made my tuning decision.

The only proper tuning tool available is Hondata Flash Pro and I made my purchase decision with no hesitation.

I will provide my feedback once I get meaningful mileage and feedback but so far so good.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully we can get some more tuned CivicX'ers helping the community and posting their survey here. I've PM'ed a ton of people I know are tuned but it's been pulling teeth to get many of them to post.:( Not sure why as this survey definitely helps fellow members considering whether tuning is a good choice for them.

Last edited:

superchi

First Name
Chi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2009 Fit, 2001 CRV
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 3 months

Total tuned mileage: approx. 3,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Hondata OTS 93 octane calibration

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL HVI, PRL intercooler, PRL charge pipe upgrade, 27WON rear motor mount

Driving style: Mostly highway cruising (daily commuting in north Texas), occasional aggressive but completely legal pulls

Tuning experience notes: Initially, I was hesitant to go down the ECU flashing route due to warranty anxiety. I had a 2015 WRX that blew the completely stock motor on a completely normal drive; Subaru handled the longblock replacement under warranty without any issue, but the experience made me really anxious about doing anything to the number of new cars I went through after that one. After doing a lot of back in forth in my head, I figured that sticking with a conservative calibration and thus keeping my end goals for power conservative should be safe enough to not have to worry as much. To further alleviate concern, I also bought a beater daily because you can't blow your car up if you never drive it, right? lol

In regards to the tune itself, I was slightly skeptical about the results people were describing but driving is believing. The OTS calibration changed 2nd and 3rd gear pretty dramatically; being able to spin the tires through 3rd is grin-inducing to say the least. I thought the car generated power surprisingly well in stock form, but after the tune, it really is mental to me how much better it makes the car feel. I have the PRL downpipe that I've been scared to install, but am looking forward to eventually adding that and updating the calibration to see how much more the car can improve.

Pictures from getting it jailbroken/flashed at the Hondata Jailbreak tour in Austin. Getting to talk a bit with Doug Macmillan was an awesome bonus.
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20191013_092259
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20191013_100915

Pic of the beater
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20191115_152011_exported_1573864644339

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful ride. Thanks for adding your car. :thumbsup:

I run KTuner these days but used to run Hondata and had a couple phone chats with Doug. The man knows his stuff.

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic EX hatchback

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 3000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner 21

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: N/A

Problems/issues: None besides resetting my oil%. Not a big deal since I pay attention to my miles anyways.

Driving style: Mostly casual highway/interstate driving.

Tuning experience notes: It took me a few tries to get it to work right. The tune seemed fine but the lights would not go away on my dash. After I finally got that to work by repeating the tuning process a few times, my oil percentage was reset to 100%. I've heard that nobody else has that happen but I'm not sure what I could have done wrong.

Overall my tune has been very nice. MPG is about the same if not better. I'd say it's better on the interstate and worse for city driving.

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport FK7 (CVT)

Total tuned time: About 2 years.

Total tuned mileage:
~28,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Both Ktuner and Hondata

Tunes used: Ktuner standard map, Vitviper tune, Hondata standard map, Hondata ethanol map, Derek Robinson Tune, now on SubZero Motorsports tune.

Fuel used: 76, Shell, Cheveron, Mobil all 91 and E85 blen (E30-40)

Additional engine mods: 27Won CAI, 27Won W1 Turbo, PRL Catless Downpipe, 27Won Front pipe + catback exhaust. E85 sensor.

Driving style: Normal driving during the day (SoCal traffic) At night I like to push the car usually accelerate at around 3k RPM, WOT maybe once a week.

Tuning experience notes:
I am curious of your reviews on the 27Won equipment. Did you install them all at once or one at a time? I'm hoping to do the same/similar mods to my '19 CVT once I've got more miles on it and can't find much feedback on the 27Won exhaust and CAI with regards to performance and sound improvements.

Moser1M

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PW Si Sedan (fun/DD); 2004 Tundra Limited (fun tow rig)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: 1,500 miles. (9150 miles on car currently)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2
Tunes used: Factory/19.5PSI sport

Fuel used: Shell 93 exclusively

Additional engine mods: K&N filter with factory box/piping

Driving style: Mainly mild, a lot of 70mph interstate driving. Occasional 2nd through 3rd Italian tune ups. Only really ragged on it through high speed curvy roads once or twice. I love this dang car.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first tuned Honda and first tune where I've had access to tuning settings and parameters via laptop. I've ran a Cobb Accessport in a 2017 WRX with a MAPerformance tune, and a Summit Racing tuner on an LT1 Camaro previously. I've only used tunes to improve factory settings and then gain a little. I haven't really tried to wring a ton of power out of my turbo engines with tunes to maintain reliability and longevity.

From what I had understood, I thought the KTuner Factory/19.5PSI sport tune would only have the car reaching 19ish PSI with sport button pressed, and factory boost levels would remain the same in non-sport mode. But, my car reaches ~19PSI in non-sport, and ~20PSI in sport mode. This is all monitored by the center speedometer Honda boost readout. It doesn't really bother me because the extra power in non-sport is nice, but when I saw 19PSI in non-sport mode, I freaked out about over boost initially. Everything has been and has stayed consistent.
Sponsored