The Tuned Civic X Reliability Survey (All Models)

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Real. I absolutely hated second place. Never cared about taking a risk to pass for like 7th. But if we are on the last lap, and I'm in a possible position to win......................

Besides, you cannot, will not, find the maximum until you exceed it.
Sounds like me on my commute home. j/k (sort of)

Now my next question. You still paying the medical bills?:cool:

R MODE

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R Championship White
Country flag
Sounds like me on my commute home. j/k (sort of)

Now my next question. You still paying the medical bills?:cool:
Six stiches in my left elbow.
Lost my right pinkie when it was trapped between the handle bar and the pavement in a 140 mph crash for a milisecond.

That's it. I was very very lucky.

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys, don't forget to update your survey posts if you get a chance. Things like miles driven tuned, months tuned, mods added, dynos, pics, etc...

Thanks for your help.

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 24 months

Total tuned mileage: 30,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flash, K&N cold air intake,

Tunes used: Hondata +9 and minimal adjustments

Fuel used: Shell 93 octane

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with (very) occasional aggressive, 2 hours of road course track time

The Hondata flash was everything claimed: right out of the box, it seemed to produce a near-optimal tune. I've encountered no problems with the additional 9 lbs. of boost. Most of the driving has been highway as I carve corners rather than drag race. I suspect the clutch would become an issue for a drag racer but it has held up well for me. I currently have 44K miles on the car. The boost gage (stock) showed around 18.5 lbs. of boost (the factory spec is 20.5). Post-Hondata, the boost gage has shown 28 lbs. The amazing thing: in highway driving after the modifications, I've shown as high as 43 MPG recorded for a trip (both directions with virtually no wind). One dyno pull showed 211 WHP which probably translates into close to 250 HP at the crankshaft.

engine bay.jpg

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Reaction score
Car(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updated a bit on my post. Added a few comments and tid bit of information about the minor issue I ran into with my tune. I have also added my dyno chart, power figures, and 1/4 time slips

Last edited:
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updated a bit on my post. Added a few comments and tid bit of information about the minor issue I ran into with my tune. I have also added my dyno chart, power figures, and 1/4 time slips
Really appreciate that. The more details we can put into the member surveys, the more it helps people make an educated decision to tune or not tune.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic si sedan 2001 Nissan Frontier
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm digging for it now

Link would be great

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Does the Hondata decal stay on for dealer visits? :hmm:
Does the Hondata decal stay on for dealer visits? :hmm:
The decal is on to stay. Actually, since picking the car up in August of '17, it has never been back to the dealer for anything. I do most of the scheduled routine maintenance myself or take it to a local mechanic. No "non-routine" maintenance has been needed.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I finally took a leap to the darkside. I had my eyes on KTuner V2 but I wasn't fast enough as somebody purchased the only KTuner V2 available for sale in my country just a few hours before I made my tuning decision.

The only proper tuning tool available is Hondata Flash Pro and I made my purchase decision with no hesitation.

I will provide my feedback once I get meaningful mileage and feedback but so far so good.

OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully we can get some more tuned CivicX'ers helping the community and posting their survey here. I've PM'ed a ton of people I know are tuned but it's been pulling teeth to get many of them to post.:( Not sure why as this survey definitely helps fellow members considering whether tuning is a good choice for them.

Last edited:

superchi

First Name
Chi
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2009 Fit, 2001 CRV
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 3 months

Total tuned mileage: approx. 3,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Hondata OTS 93 octane calibration

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL HVI, PRL intercooler, PRL charge pipe upgrade, 27WON rear motor mount

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Mostly highway cruising (daily commuting in north Texas), occasional aggressive but completely legal pulls

Tuning experience notes: Initially, I was hesitant to go down the ECU flashing route due to warranty anxiety. I had a 2015 WRX that blew the completely stock motor on a completely normal drive; Subaru handled the longblock replacement under warranty without any issue, but the experience made me really anxious about doing anything to the number of new cars I went through after that one. After doing a lot of back in forth in my head, I figured that sticking with a conservative calibration and thus keeping my end goals for power conservative should be safe enough to not have to worry as much. To further alleviate concern, I also bought a beater daily because you can't blow your car up if you never drive it, right? lol

In regards to the tune itself, I was slightly skeptical about the results people were describing but driving is believing. The OTS calibration changed 2nd and 3rd gear pretty dramatically; being able to spin the tires through 3rd is grin-inducing to say the least. I thought the car generated power surprisingly well in stock form, but after the tune, it really is mental to me how much better it makes the car feel. I have the PRL downpipe that I've been scared to install, but am looking forward to eventually adding that and updating the calibration to see how much more the car can improve.

Pictures from getting it jailbroken/flashed at the Hondata Jailbreak tour in Austin. Getting to talk a bit with Doug Macmillan was an awesome bonus.
20191013_092259.jpg
20191013_100915.jpg

Pic of the beater
20191115_152011_exported_1573864644339.jpg

Last edited:
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Beautiful ride. Thanks for adding your car. :thumbsup:

I run KTuner these days but used to run Hondata and had a couple phone chats with Doug. The man knows his stuff.

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Reaction score
Car(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic EX hatchback

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 3000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner 21

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: N/A

Problems/issues: None besides resetting my oil%. Not a big deal since I pay attention to my miles anyways.

Driving style: Mostly casual highway/interstate driving.

Tuning experience notes: It took me a few tries to get it to work right. The tune seemed fine but the lights would not go away on my dash. After I finally got that to work by repeating the tuning process a few times, my oil percentage was reset to 100%. I've heard that nobody else has that happen but I'm not sure what I could have done wrong.

Overall my tune has been very nice. MPG is about the same if not better. I'd say it's better on the interstate and worse for city driving.