The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Problems/issues: Not sure what it is exactly I don't think it's the clutch slipping but around 5400 rpm the fuel seems to cut out and the car just bogs down.
That is odd. If anything, the TSP tune should be humming along at that engine speed. Do you have a datalog showing that moment in time when it happens?
Sponsored

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
That is odd. If anything, the TSP tune should be humming along at that engine speed. Do you have a datalog showing that moment in time when it happens?
Not yet, I just experienced this this morning while out driving hard. I haven't driven the car that hard yet. I'm at work so when I get off work tonight I'm going to get my laptop and do some logging and then I'll post it. Any thoughts on what it could be? I posted something in the issues section earlier today and someone suggested heat soak. But doesn't sound right.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt it's heat soak as that would pretty much just reduce power throughout the rev range.

Did it just do it that one time?

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
I turned sport mode off to see if that would change and when down the road and did it again. When I uploaded the tsp tune I didn't go through and check any calibrations but it's almost like my rev limiter is set lower or something the way it feels. I have yet to redline my car since getting it so not sure how it feels on this car, is it possible the rev limiter cuts the fuel off ? I know I really need to get some logs up.

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
I dont want to jack this thread with my issues, i posted in another area and put up my datalog but ill put it here also cause any help would be greatly appreciated. but it did it again, i disabled FTS to see if that changes anything.

Attachments

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, I only have KTuner software currently; maybe a Hondata user car take a look.

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
I appreciate your input, hopefully someone can check my graphs and help me out. I posted it on another forum also. It just sucks car the car feels great and pulls Hard, just that 5400 rpm hiccup is killing me.
Unfortunately, I only have KTuner software currently; maybe a Hondata user car take a look.

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Si Sedan

Total Tuned Time: 3 months

Total Tuned Mileage:
~ 3000 miles

Tuning Device(s) Used: Hondata Flashpro

Tune(s) Used: TSP Stage 1 , PowerMetrics Stage 1.

Fuel Used: 93 octane

Additional Engine Mods: None at the moment, waiting on my PRL short ram street to arrive

Driving Style: Short trips to and from work about 8 miles a day, other side not lots of driving. Slightly aggressive and a few small bursts of boost through 2nd and 3rd when on the highway. Usually always in sports mode with the MAP 3 always in place.

Problems/issues: Not sure what it is exactly I don't think it's the clutch slipping but around 5400 rpm the fuel seems to cut out and the car just bogs down.

Tuning Experience: First time tuning on the Honda Civic platform, and on the 1.5T engine too.

Today I switched to PowerMetrics feel more comfortable that they only deal with Hondata. Just uploaded tonight so I'll post updates this week.
Switched over to PowerMetrics this evening.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to your impressions of that tune.

kbash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 Sport Manual
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT

Total tuned time: 1 year

Total tuned mileage: 25000 Miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata +6 PSI Base (22.5PSI)

Fuel used: 93 octane (shell)

Additional engine mods: Cusco Rear Engine Mount, 27WON CAI, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Spirited

Tuning experience notes: I have not changed my tune in over 6 months, could probably use an update, but I have tried all 3 "Baseline" tunes from hondata.

- +3 PSI was great and stable
- +6 is great and stable
- +9 surged and felt inconsistent

I use Royal Purple Oil exclusively

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT

Total tuned time: 1 year

Total tuned mileage: 25000 Miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata +6 PSI Base (22.5PSI)

Fuel used:
93 octane (shell)

Additional engine mods: Cusco Rear Engine Mount, 27WON CAI, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Spirited

tTuning experience notes: I have not changed my tune in over 6 months, could probably use an update, but I have tried all 3 "Baseline" tunes from hondata.

- +3 PSI was great and stable
- +6 is great and stable
- +9 surged and felt inconsistent

I use Royal Purple Oil exclusively
Thanks for the survey. Keep in mind the +6 tune is actually targeting around 20 psi. I ran that tune for a while myself. The +9 is more like 22.5 psi or so.

I think the confusion comes from Honda advertising the stock tune as peaking at 16.5 when you will only generally see 13-14 psi.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Thanks for the survey. Keep in mind the +6 tune is actually targeting around 20 psi. I ran that tune for a while myself. The +9 is more like 22.5 psi or so.

I think the confusion comes from Honda advertising the stock tune as peaking at 16.5 when you will only generally see 13-14 psi.
I can confirm this. I tested it myself by reverting back to stock & did a WOT run. Max boost recorded in datalog during stock calibration run was 14 psi.

Max psi of +6 psi is 19 psi with occasion boost spike to 20 psi from my observation.

kbash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 Sport Manual
Country flag

Interesting. I tested some pulls when I originally tuned and peaked at 21.5. As you could see I was using the math supplied by Honda for my estimated PSI. I'm actually happy to hear that because that means I should be able to squeeze some additional PSI with a custom tune. Eventually I do plan on getting the 27WON turbo but until then I didn't want to push over 30PSI.

Now that I think about it. I do remember reading that due to the size of the piping in the intercooler, you will lose a couple PSI by the time it is usable. Remind me to upgrade that as well. Pretty much all of the piping on these cars is restrictive off of the factory.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
kbash...

When I started tuning, I used Flashpro. I went into the boost table and saw the numbers and was surprised to see peak boost was only around 19.9 psi (at 5500 rpm). Low end boost numbers were similar to stock.

At one point I did a homemade tune that targeted closer to 22 psi up top and added some low end boost too. It felt great but I never was able to keep knock control reasonably low so I went back to the base +6.

As far as you hitting 21.5 at one point, overshooting target psi happens from time to time. I guarantee you only saw that number for a blip of a second. Currently I run the TSP 1 which I believe targets something like 23-24 psi. On one run I did, I saw 26.3 psi for a brief time!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A few words about where things stand...

It seems like I can't get anywhere with the survey these days. I message people I know are tuned about the survey (or ask in tuning posts) and few respond. I don't understand it. We have thousands of tuned owners here and after nine months of begging and pleading we only have a small percentage of people who have taken the time to post a survey.

Even more personally frustrating is the fact I do try to help everyone whether in a post or answering personal messages with tuning questions. Even those people often don't post a survey.

The only way this thing really works is this...

If you're tuned, add a survey. The format I've set up is straightforward and only takes 10 minutes to do. It helps the CivicX community.

Bottom line: The more info we can gather regarding tuning, the better for all of us. It will help people decide whether tuning is the right choice for them. And it will help those of us already tuned understand why some of these failures occur and how we can potentially prevent them.
Sponsored

Last edited: