The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Update:

Total tuned time:
5 months

Total tune mileage: 2,285 miles

Tuning device: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1, Self-made 19 PSI (Current)

Fuel used
: 98 RON (93 Octane?)

Additional engine mods: None today but plan to use aftermarket replacement filter, freeflow DP, and upgrade intercooler.

Problems/issues: I'm very concern with the fact many of tuned Civic in my country experience damaged conrod with boost higher than 21 PSI. I know this might sounded funny for most of you here but this is fact in my country. I found out TSP Stage 1 peak boost at about 23 PSI with occasional brief over-boost to 26 PSI. I also found out torque limit was set higher than 250 nm from 3,500 RPM and up. Due to these concerns, I decided to tune the engine myself.

Driving style: Stop-and-go traffic 95% of the time with occasional morning run (05:30 AM) weekdays and 06:00 AM in the weekend.

Tuning experience notes: I love my 19 PSI custom tune. It's not as fast as TSP Stage-1 but it is fun in its own way. Car feels like a bit quicker than stock below 2,500 RPM but past 2,750 RPM, the car picks up speed nicely. "Torque limit" is within Hondata spec of 250 nm maximum torque limit. I also tune the AFM so my STFT looks much decent (betwen -10% and 0) than any canned tune including Hondata basemap (between -15% and -4%). If I ever to perfect the tune with the help of professional tuner, I will definitely use my custom 19 PSI tune as the base and only ask to perfect the AFM, as well as improve fuel and ignition tuning, without changing boost parameters.
Update:

Total tuned time:
6 months

Total tune mileage: 2,493 miles

Tunes used: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1, Self-made 19 PSI (Current), Custom tune by Steve from E-Tunez

Fuel used

Additional engine mods: Rev9 intercooler

Problems/issues: I'm very concern with the fact many of tuned Civic in my country experience damaged conrod with boost higher than 21 PSI. I found out TSP Stage 1 peak boost at about 23 PSI with occasional brief over-boost to 26 PSI. I also found out torque limit was set higher than 250 nm from 3,500 RPM and up. Due to these concerns, I decided to tune the engine myself. I found my knock control went up high (+90%) and fuel trim never got right so I decided custom tune.

Driving style: Stop-and-go traffic 95% of the time with occasional morning run (05:30 AM) weekdays and 06:00 AM in the weekend.

Tuning experience notes: Steve from E-Tunez helped me customizing my tune. We used my 19 PSI custom tune as the base tune. Now the car run perfectly and the tune is really crafted for the car. No more knock & fuel concerns. Power delivery is smoother.
Sponsored

RiGalFK7

First Name
Rigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX-L 2018
Country flag
Hi guys,

Vehicle: 2018Civic Hatchback EX-T (CVT)

Total tuned time: 10 months

Total tuned mileage: 8000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner

Tunes used: Ktuner +6 Base Tune, TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 91 octane (Panama 95 RON)

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI (RACE)/Depo Racing Intercooler

Problems/issues:
None related to the tunes. P2101 caused by a piece of silicon IC pipe getting stuck in the throttle body valve. (double check inside your IC tubes, quality control on cheap parts can be lacking sometimes)

Driving style: 70% highway driving. Mostly chill granny driving in map 2 on my 16 miles commute everyday, 1 or 2 aggressive pulls when getting to and back from work if temps let me (it gets really hot and humid here sometimes and heatsoak can be a pain in the a).

Tuning experience notes: This is my first time tuning but been learning a lot to adjust my driving style by reading live data and checking datalogs. Everything installed by myself. Got an SI turbo and RV6 DP/FP combo ready to install. Getting an etune when everything is in the car to get the most out of it.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:

Total tuned time:
6 months

Total tune mileage: 2,493 miles

Tunes used: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1, Self-made 19 PSI (Current), Custom tune by Steve from E-Tunez

Fuel used

Additional engine mods: Rev9 intercooler

Problems/issues: I'm very concern with the fact many of tuned Civic in my country experience damaged conrod with boost higher than 21 PSI. I found out TSP Stage 1 peak boost at about 23 PSI with occasional brief over-boost to 26 PSI. I also found out torque limit was set higher than 250 nm from 3,500 RPM and up. Due to these concerns, I decided to tune the engine myself. I found my knock control went up high (+90%) and fuel trim never got right so I decided custom tune.

Tuning experience notes: Steve from E-Tunez helped me customizing my tune. We used my 19 PSI custom tune as the base tune. Now the car run perfectly and the tune is really crafted for the car. No more knock & fuel concerns. Power delivery is smoother.
Just wondering, What do you drive? You never stated that in this post.... or am I blind? lol.

Disregard, I see it in the description below the post.

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Type R USDM

Total tuned time: 9 months

Total tuned mileage: 20,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata FlashPro

Tunes used: Hondata 93 Octane basemap with Improved Throttle Reponse - default Hondata Traction Control and No Lift Shift Programming

Fuel used: Costco Kirkland 93 Octane (R+M)/2

Additional engine mods: PRL High Volume Intake, PRL Intercooler, PRL Charge Pipe Upgrade

Problems/issues: None other than stock charge pipe coupler tear which was remedied with the PRL Charge Pipe Upgrade

Driving style: Agressive but not abusive

Tuning experience notes: First turbocharged car and first car that has been tuned. Hondata makes decent basemaps and for the FK8, is the best tuning method. Tune was installed by a local Honda dealership which included a warranty as long as I stay on Hondata basemaps. Certainly there is more overhead but it seems like a good balance between gains and staying well reliable. The magic of Hondata is not in the tune only, however, but in the traction control, which simply lets the tires hook and the car takes off.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Capture.PNG

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Type R USDM

Total tuned time: 9 months

Total tuned mileage: 20,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata FlashPro

Tunes used: Hondata 93 Octane basemap with Improved Throttle Reponse - default Hondata Traction Control and No Lift Shift Programming

Fuel used: Costco Kirkland 93 Octane (R+M)/2

Additional engine mods: PRL High Volume Intake, PRL Intercooler, PRL Charge Pipe Upgrade

Problems/issues: None other than stock charge pipe coupler tear which was remedied with the PRL Charge Pipe Upgrade

Driving style: Agressive but not abusive

Tuning experience notes: First turbocharged car and first car that has been tuned. Hondata makes decent basemaps and for the FK8, is the best tuning method. Tune was installed by a local Honda dealership which included a warranty as long as I stay on Hondata basemaps. Certainly there is more overhead but it seems like a good balance between gains and staying well reliable. The magic of Hondata is not in the tune only, however, but in the traction control, which simply lets the tires hook and the car takes off.

Capture.PNG
Thanks for adding you car and the pic. It's a beauty.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Si coupe

Total tuned time: 1 year 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 9,000

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata flashpro and ktuner

Tunes used: Hondata ots, tsp 1, maperformance 2, phearable

Additional engine mods: race dp maperformance fp back street, prl cobra w race maf, 27won tip

Problems/issues:
None

Driving style: spirited, conservative, seldom aggressive (past life very aggressive all the time)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20200614_131535-01

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20200614_153418

Last edited:

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
EDITED 3/10/21

Vehicle
: 2018 Civic Si coupe

Total tuned time: 9 months (tuned at 48,000)

Total tuned mileage: 20,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: K tuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner factory base tune and modified 19.5psi(less aggressive boost ramp), TSP stage 1 (only use maps 1 and 2), TSP STAGE 1+

Fuel used: Shell 93-occasionally will use Exxon or Citgo when necessary. I have been adding on occasion .75 gallons of E85 to make an E15 mixture. This is to increase the knock resistance.

Additional engine mods: AEM drop in dry filter.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: I drive fast but I don’t beat on the car. For example, I’ve never launched it and don’t plan to. I don’t use full throttle that often-only when I’m intentionally having fun on a back road.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first time tuning. I was very hesitant to do anything due to clutch concerns and I wanted to wait until the warranty was over. I caved 10,000 miles before warranty was up. I’m glad I did, tuning really makes the car more enjoyable to drive. It has made me realize that driving with any semblance of normal speed between gears with rev hang puts a lot of stress on the clutch. That being said, without rev hang, I’ve now found the mechanical limits of the heavy factory flywheel-at the top of 1st and 2nd gear full throttle the flywheel has so much inertia, if you were to wait for the revs to drop on their own before letting out clutch, it would be a good 2-3 seconds. My fuel economy is slightly worse but I can still get over 40mpg when I want. It is easier to get worse economy with full throttle than stock—AFR on TSP tune is 11.1.

TSP STAGE 1+: I upgraded to this tune a little under 1,000 miles ago. I have some observations I wanted to share. I observe that compared to the original TSP tune, there is a difference in how how much vacuum and/or how quickly the engine goes into vacuum when off throttle and with the clutch pressed. I believe this is what people refer to when they say it shifts smoother. I notice a little difference, but honestly I drove the original TSP tune smoothly as well. It is a matter of learning the tune and adjusting how you shift to match what the car is doing.

Yes, I do feel the power is more linear and pulls harder up top. I have only been on tune 2. I notice a difference both in normal mode which is where I normally drive, and in sport mode.

Fuel trims and Knock Control- On my first tank, I preemptively made an E15 mixture by putting in .75 gallons of E85. I normally use Shell 93, but supplemented with Sheetz for the E85 and the rest of their 93. My first tank I never saw above .49 knock control. My next tank, I just used 93. Knock control would go up to .52 when flooring it with ambient temps between 30-60 and intake temps between 60-100. This was on the 19.5 tune. That being said, on original TSP knock control would go up to .62 when it was warm enough on a certain stretch of road. On that same stretch, I haven't seen above .52 thus far. For my next tank I have supplemented some E85 again and got on it hard today. Knock control stayed at .49.

Fuel trims have been around +3.0 LTFT with the ambient temps between 30-50. Lately it has been getting into the 60's and up to 70 and LTFT has gone down to +1 and 0 several times.

The increased idle speed to 800 is wonderful, it should have been set there from the factory. I'm looking forward to seeing what an upgraded intercooler will do for me this summer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed tuning experience notes. That helps.

Joev492

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Please use the format below when posting your information:

Vehicle
: 2019 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 8 months

Total tuned mileage: ~3,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 93 octane, various brands

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra Race CAI, PRL Catted DP, AWE Tuning Exhaust w/ integrated FP

Driving style: Shift between 3-4k in most cases. Aggressive pulls onto highway. Have only used Map 3 about 4 times as I don't want to wear the clutch too much.

Tuning experience notes: Nothing too interesting. I'm very happy with how the car functions even on Map 1. I'll use Map 3 when I feel like doing some spirited driving, but only after I've already warmed the vehicle up. Changing the Exhaust is interesting because switching from Map 1 to 3 I can really hear a difference in the burbles and even the idling engine rasp. Honestly the sound from Map 3 sounds less aggressive than 1.

Elussive

First Name
Rave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2.0l
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 5,000 miles

Tunes used: Base Map

Fuel used: 91 (Mostly Costoco, Fastrip, and Arco)

Additional engine mods: RV6 Catless Downpipe

Driving style: Lots of highway miles and spirited city driving

Tuning experience notes: I disabled my CEL through Ktuner and I haven't gotten a CEL since I installed my downpipe. This is my first car that I have ever tuned and I have to say it's been awesome! One slight problem I have seen is sometimes my car kind of lurches at 2.8K-3k rpm in either 2nd or 3rd gear when I drive slow. I assume that this is a tuning issue since it popped up when I installed my downpipe. An etune or a proper custom tune could solve this.
Some updates on my car (updates underlined)

Vehicle
: 2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT

Total tuned time: 4 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000 miles

Tunes used: Base Map

Fuel used: 91 (Mostly Costoco, Fastrip, and Arco)

Additional engine mods: RV6 Catless Downpipe

Problems/issues: That jerking at around 3k rpm has pretty much disappeared for some reason. It might because it's gotten very hot in California, or the new update on kTuner solved something but my engine has been pretty smooth since the last update.

Driving style: Ever since quarantine it's either been city driving or canyon driving for me. The times where I do go canyon driving I push the car decently.

Tuning experience notes: Installing the new update on the car with the lowered Vtec engagement didn't really do much to the car. Other than getting rid of my 3k rpm jerk, nothing much has changed. The car is still very reliable and I've enjoyed taking my car on some empty backroads.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a little additional tuning experience note to add to the survey thread.

I've been tuned for 27 months. I've had Hondata and used their base +6 tune and a "+7.5" tune I set up. Switched to KTuner and started with the dual starter 21 and have been using the TSP Stage 1 since it first was released.

The entire time I've been tuned, one thing stands out. And no, it's not the obvious power/fun factor increase. It's the fact that you can have this kind of performance gain with only a small overall hit in fuel economy as long as you aren't constantly on it.

Case in point. My commute to work is a little less than 10 miles. About 6 miles highway, 4 miles city. And yet this tankful and nearly 400 miles of driving has me at a sweet 41.6 mpg ...

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20200629_143852

Now, I don't drive it like a mad man but I like to have a few moments of fun here and there. Like today...

Traffic on the highway was going at about 70 mph. A guy in a VW (looked to be a CC) decided to tailgate me. I stood my ground and when I saw my opening went up to 100 and left him in the dust. A few miles later on a fun 2 lane curvy off ramp, I played with a TSX and surprised him with my cars speed. And then I quickly dropped down to the speed limit. Even having those 2 aggressive events, I still managed 38.5 mpg on the commute. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Just a little additional tuning experience note to add to the survey thread.

I've been tuned for 27 months. I've had Hondata and used their base +6 tune and a "+7.5" tune I set up. Switched to KTuner and started with the dual starter 21 and have been using the TSP Stage 1 since it first was released.

The entire time I've been tuned, one thing stands out. And no, it's not the obvious power/fun factor increase. It's the fact that you can have this kind of performance gain with only a small overall hit in fuel economy as long as you aren't constantly on it.

Case in point. My commute to work is a little less than 10 miles. About 6 miles highway, 4 miles city. And yet this tankful and nearly 400 miles of driving has me at a sweet 41.6 mpg ...

20200629_143852.jpg

Now, I don't drive it like a mad man but I like to have a few moments of fun here and there. Like today...

Traffic on the highway was going at about 70 mph. A guy in a VW (looked to be a CC) decided to tailgate me. I stood my ground and when I saw my opening went up to 100 and left him in the dust. A few miles later on a fun 2 lane curvy off ramp, I played with a TSX and surprised him with my cars speed. And then I quickly dropped down to the speed limit. Even having those 2 aggressive events, I still managed 38.5 mpg on the commute. :thumbsup:
Waiting for your opinion on the Phearsble, my man.

racingtoys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan

Total Tuned Time: 10 months

Total Tuned Mileage: 8k plus

Tuning Device: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner base 19.5/23.5, TSP stage 1, phearable

Additional Mods: Mishimoto Intercooler, prl catted downpipe, RMM

Problems/Issues: None for now

Driving style:
5 over limit, on ramp cloverleaf workouts, nothing crazy, no burnouts, no autoX.

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Are you offering to buy it for him?
Also, you do realize the Phearable 1.5 tune is only for the Si, while gtman drives an EX-L :doh:
Thank you for your input!

I suppose he doesn't know anyone in his area that has an SI and done several current tunes that he can try a before/after and form his opinion. I don't have an Si as indicated but enjoy others that do and share their enthusiasm. I chose NA for my modded C6 Corvette, but a coworker, not really in my circle of friends let me drive his super charged C6 graciously so I was able to form my opinion.

I do know what he drives, and his expressed preference on the 18mm Si sway bar as well, that he is still currently not yet installed due to physical problem. As an aside, due to his opinion on the bar, I bought one for my Hatch, but found it "lame" and happy on my current 22mm Whiteline. If he is in my neighborhood, I would gladly install the Si bar for him so he doesn't have to wonder and put his opinion to rest..

Happy modding pal.
Sponsored