The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

FlyByeBlueSi

FlyByeBlueSi
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, what tune did you have at the time? I dont race everyone... i go looking for people though. I dont run all lights. But my question to you is, did you by chance wide open thottle below 2500 at any given time?
Or maybe, use antilag?
Do you monitor your k.con?
Idk.
Im pretty hard on my car but only when temps are good.
I WOT at least 10-15 days nightly lol.
I am tuned with tsp stage 1 with just an intake.
When the rod went through the block last year or when it croaked at Taco Bell idling?(question about the tune) no sir no bogging over here, no anti-lag, sadly I wasn't monitoring knock either time, which will not happen again. I'm also going to Frankenstein this engine block from the newer one and luckily the head from the old one, safe to say it will be far from stock internals this go around.
Sponsored

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Either instance.
When the went through the block last year or when it croaked at Taco Bell idling?(question about the tune) no sir no bogging over here, no anti-lag, sadly I wasn't monitoring knock either time, which will not happen again. I'm also going to Frankenstein this engine block from the newer one and luckily the head from the old one, safe to say it will be far from stock internals this go around.

For either instance. These directly injected engines cant take pounding below 2500. I make sure to never hit it before 3700 just to be safe

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Even with a couple of recent failures, we're still at 97%+ of tuned cars running more or less issue free.

It just seems to me that tuned cars that are only pushing base or Stage 1 type power are pretty damn reliable. Most (not all) of the failures have come from either pushing power way beyond the base tunes or some form of abuse whether it's not keeping tabs on things like fuel trims or just flat out constant beating on the car.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even with a couple of recent failures, we're still at 97%+ of tuned cars running more or less issue free.

It just seems to me that tuned cars that are only pushing base or Stage 1 type power are pretty damn reliable. Most (not all) of the failures have come from either pushing power way beyond the base tunes or some form of abuse whether it's not keeping tabs on things like fuel trims or just flat out constant beating on the car.
Im pretty consistant, but I always pull at a 0.49 and low as possible with the current typhoon hott air intake. Lol.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's still something I can't understand. We have more and more people at the forum posting about their tuned cars. And yet these same people aren't posting tuning surveys.

All we're trying to do is have a convenient resource for people to see if the long-term risks of tuning are worth it for them. There are literally thousands of tuned CivicX's here and we only have 250+ surveys. I don't get it.

CURRENT TUNED CIVIC X RELIABILITY SURVEY STATS

Total tuned participants: 259
Total tuned miles driven: 3,726,500 (estimated)
Most tuned miles: choo's '17 Sport Hatch (81,000+)

Owners with major failures: 7
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.3%

Transmission type: CVT (85); Manual (174)

Hondata used as tuning device: 62
KTuner used as tuning device: 212
JB4 used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 52
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (103)

Most tuned vehicle: Civic Si
Most used fuel: 93 octane (140)

Last edited:

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's still something I can't understand. We have more and more people at the forum posting about their tuned cars. And yet these same people aren't posting tuning surveys.

All we're trying to do is have a convenient resource for people to see if the long-term risks of tuning are worth it for them. There are literally thousands of tuned CivicX's here and we only have 250+ surveys. I don't get it.

CURRENT TUNED CIVIC X RELIABILITY SURVEY STATS

Total tuned participants: 259
Total tuned miles driven: 3,726,500 (estimated)
Most tuned miles: choo's '17 Sport Hatch (81,000+)

Owners with major failures: 7
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.3%

Transmission type: CVT (85); Manual (174)

Hondata used as tuning device: 62
KTuner used as tuning device: 212
JB4 used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 52
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (103)

Most tuned vehicle: Civic Si
Most used fuel: 93 octane (140)

Im sorry boss. I know its frustrating. Idk why people are not posting...

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Im sorry boss. I know its frustrating. Idk why people are not posting...
Here's the really frustrating thing. I get PM's all the time from people asking for tuning help and I also try to help in posts where people ask their tuning questions. Yet, these same people I've helped often don't post up a survey. I just wish I knew why they wont help the community. Is 5 minutes to fill in some blanks really that hard?

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gtman, this thread is one of the most important on this forum, in my opinion. It's not 100% scientific or proven but it contains a fair amount of data that helps many of us less experienced tuner wannabe's. For me, it gives me the confidence to use a Ktuner. Try not to let it get to you. Your work is not in vain, my friend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Gtman, this thread is one of the most important on this forum, in my opinion. It's not 100% scientific or proven but it contains a fair amount of data that helps many of use less experienced tuner wannabe's. For me, it gives me the confidence to use a Ktuner. Try not to let it get to you. Your work is not in vain, my friend.
Appreciate that.

IcySerg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 25+ months

Total tuned mileage: 25,000

Tuning device(s) used: currently using KTuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner basemap for about 500 miles first, then vitviper stage 2 for 15k miles. Currently on TSP stage 2 for the past 7k miles, custom tune from Drob for 5k miles

Fuel used: Shell 91, propel fuels flex fuel

Additional engine mods: PRL intercooler W/charge pipes, PRL race Intake, PRL downpipe and frontpipe V1, PRL flex fuel kit, 27won drop in turbo(currently getting installed). Emans type R retrofitted clutch

Problems/issues: Clutch started slipped at 15k miles after vit stage 2, switched to Emans and no more slippage.
Otherwise she’s still going strong.

May, 2020: W1 turbo shaft and bearings cracked due to 28psi of boost and hard driving throughout the day

June, 2020: Luckily got covered by warranty and Vincent Melon sent me a brand new turbo at no cost, only shipping. Thanks Vincent! 27won rocks!

Driving style: I’m a young guy, 23, and have a lead foot and it’s hard not to step on it. I do race her quite often. But after busting the turbo I’ve been only doing best 2/3 races at most.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first vehicle in which I get tuned and modified and so far I’ve been careful with who I get my tuned by. I was on TSP stage 2 when it first came out and the car really had a punch at low rpm. Then Drob released an update which had nerfed the tune a bit because apperantly it was too much torque for the stock motor.
Anyways right now my car has a custom tune from Drob @28psi
bump for update.
The shaft and bearings in between both turbines decided to take a dump on a conservative tune(roughly 315whp @28psi) and Vincent Melon from 27won was kind enough to send me a fresh turbo! 27won is a great company and customer service is phenomenal! They rock! I wonder how the new W2 turbo they’re working on will compare to the W1

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
bump for update.
The shaft and bearings in between both turbines decided to take a dump on a conservative tune(roughly 315whp @28psi) and Vincent Melon from 27won was kind enough to send me a fresh turbo! 27won is a great company and customer service is phenomenal! They rock! I wonder how the new W2 turbo they’re working on will compare to the W1
Any mileage update since your original post so I can update the survey stats?

002_fc1

DRLNG_Z2
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 9 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Chevron 91/Shell 91

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI Race MAF, 27won exhaust back

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Normal driving, slightly aggressive from time to time, and occasional canyon runs

Tuning experience notes: First time having a car that could be tuned. I mainly wanted a little more power just to go around, and I love it so far. I mostly drive on Map 2 hitting Map 3 only when I hit the canyons and when I want to do some spirited driving. The power delivery feels just right.

Last edited:

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sedan (EUDM)

Total tuned time: 24 months

Total tuned mileage: 35,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Starter21, TSP Stage for the non-Si, My custom 24psi tune

Fuel used: Mostly Shell V-Power 98RON / Recently switched to 100RON

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto Intake, Wagner intercooler with piping

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. 2-3 WOT's per day when fine tuning :)

Tuning experience notes: I've had all my turbo cars tuned. This is the first time I am using a tool on my own. Returning the car to factory from time to time for the dealer service visit reminds me how awesome tuning this car is :)
Update #2 after a Wagner Tuning Intercooler installation. I can only say one thing : These cars LOVE cool air ... consistency in power has been awesome, even now with ambient temperatures exceeding 30C (86F)
Needles to say some fine tuning was required to make the most of the upgraded IC,
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Map3
but the car now made 231whp and is really a joy to rev. My next steps include a TD03 build to squeeze some more juice out of it.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tune update. But as mentioned earlier, could you update your tuned miles? It's really important for the survey statistics.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Thanks for the tune update. But as mentioned earlier, could you update your tuned miles? It's really important for the survey statistics.
It's been updated to 35.000(previously 30.000) :)
Sponsored