The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Trialsguy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic X HTB 1.5T
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Sport Hatch CVT 1.5T

Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: ~1000 miles

Mileage: 12,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Dual calibration, see photo

Fuel used: 91-94 octane

Additional engine mods: none

Problems/issues: A weird smell after heavy acceleration, and sometimes transmission jerk\surg. I am getting ready to flash back to stock because I think it is having bad affect on CVT.

Driving style: Mostly chill driving, slightly spirited, especially on highway. WOT at least once a 3 times a week.

Tune experience: Little experience, read gtman's thread on recommendations.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20200125_170230
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what that "weird smell" could be other than some funky rotten egg WOT smell which is normal really. With your basically conservative setup, your CVT should be just fine.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Sport Hatch CVT 1.5T

Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: ~1000 miles

Mileage: 12,000 miles

Tunes used: Dual calibration, see photo

Additional engine mods: none

Problems/issues: A weird smell after heavy acceleration, and sometimes transmission jerk\surg. I am getting ready to flash back to stock because I think it is having bad affect on CVT.

Driving style: Mostly chill driving, slightly spirited, especially on highway. WOT at least once a 3 times a week.

Tune experience: Little experience, read gtman's thread on recommendations.

20200125_170230.jpg
Have you upgraded to version 1.0.9.5 of the KTuner software? If not, upgrade the KTuner software and then re-upload the tune. This helped others with similar "jerking/surging".

Check out this thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/hesistation-stutter-at-low-rpms-tweaked-starter-21-ktuner.44508/

Trialsguy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic X HTB 1.5T
Country flag
Not sure what that "weird smell" could be other than some funky rotten egg WOT smell which is normal really. With your basically conservative setup, your CVT should be just fine.
The smell is almost like burning coal. The first time it happened I thought it was the outside air. But then I realized it is always after hard acceleration. It tends to linger for about 5 minutes. Yesterday, I was on the freeway and hit WOT to pass about 4 cars before exiting, I hit about 85, then exited. I then smelled it and made a 15 minute stop at the hardware store. When I restarted the car and was backing out I smelled it again, and the car felt like the brakes were on as I was backing out. It felt fine when I put it in drive.

Does the attached photo show what a typical Ignition Base map is supposed to look like?

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) ignitionBase.PNG

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not normal as in all the time but you can get that sulphur smell at WOT from the cat on occasion. Bad gas maybe?

Or I could be wrong. :cool:

Last edited:

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Sedan CVT 1.5T

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: ~1200 miles

Mileage: 26,000 kms

Tunes used: Dual calibration, TSP Stage 1 map 3

Additional engine mods: CAI RACE MAF, SI TURBO, DP/FP

Problems/issues: traction issues at launch. Higher than usual kcon.

Driving style: Mostly chill driving, cruising at lowest possible revs. WOT at least once 2-3 times a week.

Tune experience: car is responsive and fun to drive

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 T. Sport
Country flag
Sometimes
Not normal as in all the time but you can get that sulphur smell at WOT from the cat on occasion. Bad gas maybe?

Or I could be wrong. :cool:
sometimes I smell this, also driving normally without WOT

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sedan (EUDM)

Total tuned time: 22 months

Total tuned mileage: 30,000+ miles

Tunes used: KTuner Starter21, TSP Stage for the non-Si, My custom 24psi tune

Fuel used: Mostly Shell V-Power 98RON

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto Intake

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: I've had all my turbo cars tuned. This is the first time I am using a tool on my own. Returning the car to factory from time to time for the dealer service visit reminds me how awesome tuning this car is :)
Update with a fresh dyno after a lot of street WOT logging and fine tuning … not bad for a stock turbo …

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) dyno2020

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update with a fresh dyno after a lot of street WOT logging and fine tuning … not bad for a stock turbo …

dyno2020.jpg
Nice work. So this is your 24 psi self-tune?

Am I reading that right? 223 hp and around 265 lb/ft of tq? That torque curve looks fantastic.

Last edited:

GixxerMKD

First Name
Baze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Hatchback Sport 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

dyno2020.jpg
Is this just with parameters change in ktuner starter 21map?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Nice work. So this is your own, self-tune?

Am I reading that right? 223 hp and around 265 lb/ft of tq? That torque curve looks fantastic.
Yes, it's my own tune after a lot of logging and experimenting.

It's a dyno plot and numbers may vary from dyno to dyno, but compared to my first tune my curves are a lot flatter, I have a little less torque pre 3500 now and a much beefier top-end. My first tune had a 211whp spike at 5400 to fade down to 190whp by 6400 rpm (typical for a tune based on the 21 starter). I have tried countless boost target maps to try and figure a steady torque / power band. The tune can be further refined but there is not much point in going after the last 2-3whp :)

Is this just with parameters change in ktuner starter 21map?
No, it is a complete custom boost target map, with tuned MAF scale and custom ignition tables

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it's my own tune after a lot of logging and experimenting.

It's a dyno plot and numbers may vary from dyno to dyno, but compared to my first tune my curves are a lot flatter, I have a little less torque pre 3500 now and a much beefier top-end. My first tune had a 211whp spike at 5400 to fade down to 190whp by 6400 rpm (typical for a tune based on the 21 starter). I have tried countless boost target maps to try and figure a steady torque / power band. The tune can be further refined but there is not much point in going after the last 2-3whp :)

No, it is a complete custom boost target map, with tuned MAF scale and custom ignition tables
Yeah the KTuner 21 does really drop off at the top. That's why I prefer the TSP stage 1.

Your power curves look so nice and flat/smooth. Have you considered offering the tune to (non-Si, manual) members here for a premium?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

dyno2020.jpg
So this is +/- 250hp and +/- 350nm of torque on the crank with stock clutch still ?
Very nice curve ,looks really smooth!

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si & 2017 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 2+ years

Total tuned mileage: 32k miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: VitTuned Stg 1, Ktuner 23psi base map, TSP Stg 1, TSP Stg 2 Ethanol, and Ktuner Stg 1(Type R)

Fuel used: Chevron and Shell 92, Thunderbolt E98 Mixed on 1.5T for e35-37 mix

Additional engine mods: Civic Si-Catless Downpipe/Front Pipe, Type R exhaust, PRL Cobra Race, Mishimoto Intercooler, PRL Flex Fuel kit. Civic Type R-PRL High Volume intake, Perrin Front Mount Intercooler, 3 Inch exhaust/

Problems/issues: None (Spark Plugs changed at around 30k miles for piece of mind and Oil changes every 5k miles)

Driving style: Daily driving relaxed and long road trips, frequent WOT pulls and trips to Mexico

Tuning experience notes: My last two cars have been custom dyno tuned and both have been NA FBO cars. I am confortable flashing tunes, making small adjustments, pulling logs, etc... I have not attempted actually tuning my own car though and for my current CTR I plan to go with a customer e tune which will be my first time using an e tune service.
Sponsored