The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
*UPDATE*
ORIGINALLY POSTED ON 04/09/2020

Vehicle:
2020 civic Si.

Total Tuned Time: 1.3 months.

Total Tuned Mileage: *Update 05/01/2020* 1,500ish miles now. *Was at 400 miles when I first posted the miles tuned. * (6 FULL tanks still a little over half of a tank left)

Tuning Device Used: KTuner V2.

Tunes & Settings Used: *Update 05/01/2020* [PRIMARY & Current Tune Starter ~ Base/23.5] (Throttle Response 1. 2-STEP SETUP @ 3950k-4000k-No Rev hang)

Fuel Used: 93 Only.

Additional Engine Mods: PRL silicone hose / K&N panel replacement/drop in filter.

Problems/Issues: *Update 04/16/2020* *NEW* If you pull through all of the gears then I don't have this issue* *OLD>>>* Clutch slipping 4th+gears or between 3k-4k with throttle response on 1 or 2. I don't really seem to have this issue much with the factory throttle response.

Driving Style : I average 33+ Mpg in the City, Although I do send it more frequently when quarantined for an extensive amount of time.

Tuning Experience Notes: *Update* 05/01/2020 Found out that I am faster than 5.0 mustangs ... I am less paranoid about blowing it up now. *Update 04/23/2020* Lots of paranoia about blowing it up... Lol.
Peddle dance become a habit.... I can see where my engine mounts have been full torque lol...
Hell yeah give those mustangs what they deserve. Tell them to go smash into a crowd of people somewhere else lmao
Sponsored

IcySerg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 25+ months

Total tuned mileage: 20,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: currently using KTuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner basemap for about 500 miles first, then vitviper stage 2 for 15k miles. Currently on TSP stage 2 for the past 7k miles

Fuel used: Shell 91, propel fuels flex fuel

Additional engine mods: PRL intercooler W/charge pipes, PRL race Intake, PRL downpipe and frontpipe V1, PRL flex fuel kit, 27won drop in turbo(currently getting installed). Emans type R retrofitted clutch

Problems/issues: Clutch started slipped at 15k miles after vit stage 2, switched to Emans and no more slippage.
Otherwise she’s still going strong.

May 3, 2020 edit: 27won turbo cracked and it’s less than a year old. Going to make the switch over to PRL and report back with pictures after it’s pulled out. Abuse did play a factor as I went out for a cinco de mayo cruise which resulted on the car being driven hard half a day with a couple of pit stops.

Driving style: I’m a young guy, 23, and have a lead foot and it’s hard not to step on it. I do race her quite often and surprisingly no major problems so far.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first vehicle in which I get tuned and modified and so far I’ve been careful with who I get my tunes, I was using TSP stage 2 when it first came out and the car really had a punch at low rpm. Then Drob released an update which had nerfed the tune a bit because apperantly it was too much torque for the stock motor.
Anyways right now my car is at the shop currently getting the 27won turbo installed and I already have a custom tune in order from Drob. I’ll report back any issues once I put more mileage with this setup
Bump for new update

IcySerg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How did you figure out the 27Won W1 cracked? I myself am looking into running the W1.
I’ve talked to people who have had the same turbo as mine and blown also. I asked them if they got a similar whine to mine and they did. I’m gonna see if I can pull the downpipe off this week and look at the damage.

Last edited:

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Well it's been a couple of weeks since anyone added a new survey. I know we have thousands of tuned CivicX's out there so that's not the issue.

Maybe people don't realize this is an ongoing thing and this database helps the community's tuning knowledge base?

Anyway, if you're tuned take the couple minutes to fill out a survey. Thanks.

I know of about 10 non si failures, that I'm almost positive aren't listed here. Don't know all of the details as far as mileage etc, just the tuning platforms and tunes. ?‍♂

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I know of about 10 non si failures, that I'm almost positive aren't listed here. Don't know all of the details as far as mileage etc, just the tuning platforms and tunes. ?‍♂
Speaking of failures, I have seen 2 Si's on Instagram that have had transmission failures. Specifically 3rd gear. Not sure if they are here on the forum. One is fully built pushing little over 400 whp with the Pure Turbo Stage 2 turbo upgrade on E85 tuned on Hondata. Other is with a 27Won W1 turbo with flex fuel tuned on KTuner.

Consensus is the oil gutter not being large enough to supply enough lubrication to said gear.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of failures, I have seen 2 Si's on Instagram that have had transmission failures. Specifically 3rd gear. Not sure if they are here on the forum. One is fully built pushing little over 400 whp with the Pure Turbo Stage 2 turbo upgrade on E85 tuned on Hondata. Other is with a 27Won W1 turbo with flex fuel tuned on KTuner.

Consensus is the oil gutter not being large enough to supply enough lubrication to said gear.
The only problem is, that info can't be included in the survey because it's anecdotal. Members here need to post actual surveys from their own cars for this topic.

And lets say for argument there were 25+ failures out there in the wild. There are also 1000+ tuned cars running reliably. The issue here is most members I've direct messaged (500+) don't want to post a survey to help the community and in my opinion, that's sad.

If we can't get folks adding their survey then this thread isn't as useful as it could be. Matter of fact if this trend of no one adding new surveys continues, I'll ask the admin to close this topic at some point. I still believe in it but it takes other members pitching in to actually make this work/be accurate.

Based on info I've been given, I know there are thousands of tuned 10th gens out there. Our 200+ surveys are just a small percentage. Imagine how cool this could be if all tuned 10th gen owners took 5 minutes to fill out a reliability survey.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 T. Sport
Country flag
Gtman, the problem is that many people does not want to let people know that their Civic are tuned.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Gtman, the problem is that many people does not want to let people know that their Civic are tuned.
Those people should understand this is done anonymously. I mean sure we have a screen name but do people think Honda would actually take the time/money to somehow send investigators to check people out because they added a survey here? :drive:

Plus, the people I've asked to post a survey but refused have all been members who have posted in the forums that they were/are tuned.

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ Agreed and that's my frustration. I run another online forum and I know how it is but it's still a bit surprising.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So a guy on the 10th gen FB group said yesterday his SI started just running real rough randomly and heard a loud ticking sound and it grew worse Im thinking sounds like a lifter or maybe a timing concern, so he failed to mention he was tuned till the very end after some questions he was tsp stage 1 and I guess his friend put in 87 fuel and I remember him asking the group 3 or 4 days ago if that would be okay what could he do I said flash back to stock and run it dry don't leave the tune on. Well guess the guy didn't listen because the dealer pulled the head and valves were bent so im guessing it jumped timing?? 2 thousand dollars later hopefully he learned a lesson. Just wanted to put that here for anyone with maybe the same issue or if your car gets 87 by mistake don't leave the tune on by any means don't... run it dry on a stock tune

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So a guy on the 10th gen FB group said yesterday his SI started just running real rough randomly and heard a loud ticking sound and it grew worse Im thinking sounds like a lifter or maybe a timing concern, so he failed to mention he was tuned till the very end after some questions he was tsp stage 1 and I guess his friend put in 87 fuel and I remember him asking the group 3 or 4 days ago if that would be okay what could he do I said flash back to stock and run it dry don't leave the tune on. Well guess the guy didn't listen because the dealer pulled the head and valves were bent so im guessing it jumped timing?? 2 thousand dollars later hopefully he learned a lesson. Just wanted to put that here for anyone with maybe the same issue or if your car gets 87 by mistake don't leave the tune on by any means don't... run it dry on a stock tune
Putting 87 in shouldn't have caused all that by itself (if he took it easy). I mean the ecu will retard timing with the low octane gas, right? I'd think there had to be some owner abuse involved as well.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Putting 87 in shouldn't have caused all that by itself (if he took it easy). I mean the ecu will retard timing with the low octane gas, right? I'd think there had to be some owner abuse involved as well.
Who knows but these cars don’t bend valves the way he described unless something drastically failed, claimed he never gunned it but something gave in. I feel for the guy but he should’ve just gone stock or siphoned the gas out but that’s just my opinion

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd also think just poking around would be fine... but I'd sure back down to a Ktuner reflash at least if I had to put 87 in the car due to a lack of 93 and just baby it home to do the reflash. 91/93 is a claimed requirement and no longer a recommendation for TSP vs the stock tune and Ktuner's reflashes. I certainly would not want to tempt fate. As good/fast as k.cont might be... having a very aggressive timing map with pretty high boost might not get enough retard value to counter it. I assume that was their logic in making the 91/93 requirement... and I'd sure not go against it.

It's one of those things... if you're not the guy and know all the in and outs... you just never know. I would be nice to have more data. I figure when I'm at 2 full years running TSP Stage 1, I'll do an update. That's only a couple months away. Do you want us to wipe the original page and do a repost or just edit the old posting @gtman ?
Sponsored