The Si's power figures are underrated

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
2 examples why...

I was merging unto the freeway about three days ago in 4th gear going about 50 MPH, there was a Semi already on the freeway in the farthest right slowest lane. Not wanting to be stuck behind him, I stepped on it still in 4th gear, I swear the sensation of speed as I merged in front of the semi was breath taking. I was shoved back in my seat and by the time I looked down I was going about 95 MPH without even realizing it. Very underrated.

2nd reason..

I was cruising on the freeway and a GTI pulled up next to me, looked like a 2015-2017 model year GTI. I knew what was about to happen so I gunned it about the same time he did, we were pretty much neck and neck from 60-85MPH, this is a car that makes 220 hp and 258 lb ft of torque how was that possible?

I know dynos have shown that all the Civic engines are underrated by Honda, for what reason? I dont know. But it is true, the Si engine is a little monster.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
They are underrated but also aren't you tuned?

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They are underrated but also aren't you tuned?
I was, but I reverted back to stock about 3 months ago and sold it on ebay.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
2 examples why...

I was merging unto the freeway about three days ago in 4th gear going about 50 MPH, there was a Semi already on the freeway in the farthest right slowest lane. Not wanting to be stuck behind him, I stepped on it still in 4th gear, I swear the sensation of speed as I merged in front of the semi was breath taking. I was shoved back in my seat and by the time I looked down I was going about 95 MPH without even realizing it. Very underrated.

2nd reason..

I was cruising on the freeway and a GTI pulled up next to me, looked like a 2015-2017 model year GTI. I knew what was about to happen so I gunned it about the same time he did, we were pretty much neck and neck from 60-85MPH, this is a car that makes 220 hp and 258 lb ft of torque how was that possible?

I know dynos have shown that all the Civic engines are underrated by Honda, for what reason? I dont know. But it is true, the Si engine is a little monster.
unfortunately i think the GTI was not really trying... they trap 3-4 mph higher than the Si. That difference impact more at high speed.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Remember, 205 is at the crank, TSP rated a 2017 at 182 at the wheels stock. You could plus or minus a few hp. As far as the GTI, it just is faster, I've seen a few comparisons, including one from the Straight Pipes. But to be fair it's also priced at a higher price point. And is not nearly as reliable.

The Si is not a fast car, at least in it's factory configuration, but it's also not slow and competes fairly well with it's competitors. A tune helps it getting there. Now if you ever get a chance to sit behind the wheel of a Type R... that's fast

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dynos arent everything but I find it funny how people who want to down play the Si's power always quote TSP's 182hp but fail to understand that other dynos (Ktuner and Hondata) have seen 200-205 AT THE WHEELS. But this wasnt about dyno results, its about my real life experience and my real life experience tells me this car doesnt feel like a 205 hp crank engine.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Dynos arent everything but I find it funny how people who want to down play the Si's power always quote TSP's 182hp but fail to understand that other dynos (Ktuner and Hondata) have seen 200-205 AT THE WHEELS. But this wasnt about dyno results, its about my real life experience and my real life experience tells me this car doesnt feel like a 205 hp crank engine.
Also MAPerformance

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your right that you cannot rely completely on a single Dyno, so you have to pick one as a reference point. Kind of like when you are trying to lose weight. You put the scale on one side and you weigh 200. Move it 10 ft and you weigh 205. So what do you do. You put it in one spot, and once a week after pooing and not eating you weigh yourself at the same spot. Well Dyno is no different. On hot humid day you get one reading, and a crisp cool day another. There is also different types of dynos. So for me, TSP's numbers would be my reference.

Butt dynos maybe fun, but they are the most unreliable way of determining a cars power. Using a timer would be a better way of determining how fast a car is

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna take heat for this, but to me, dynos are kind of bogus anyway. Far too many variables. And we know for a fact Hondata dynos on a Dynapack which shows very optimistic numbers.

As far as xbbnx's GTI run in, I'm sure it's legit and nobody knows if the GTI was flooring it or not. But it doesn't really matter does it? As long as an owner is happy with their car's power and it feels fast to them, isn't that all that counts?

One more thing about the GTI. It is quite a bit heavier than the Si. That is a factor. Just saying.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm gonna take heat for this, but to me, dynos are kind of bogus anyway. Far too many variables. And we know for a fact Hondata dynos on a Dynojet which shows very optimistic numbers.

As far as xbbnx's GTI run in, I'm sure it's legit and nobody knows if the GTI was flooring it or not. But it doesn't really matter does it? As long as an owner is happy with their car's power and it feels fast to them, isn't that all that counts?
Yep. I just want to make the OP work for his post :)

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna take heat for this, but to me, dynos are kind of bogus anyway. Far too many variables. And we know for a fact Hondata dynos on a Dynojet which shows very optimistic numbers.

One more thing about the GTI. It is quite a bit heavier than the Si. That is a factor. Just saying.
GTIs are only like 3% heavier than an Si.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
GTIs are only like 3% heavier than an Si.
Going by the numbers I saw from Car and Driver, they had the Si sedan at 2,911 and a GTI SE at 3,128. That 217 lb. difference is more like 7% heavier. The Autobahn version weighs in at over 3200 lbs...
Sponsored

Last edited: